E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 335i is having problems shifting to sport

03-01-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 JB4 G5 ISO RB's FBO+40%E85

335i is having problems shifting to sport

I was driving normal one day, nothing out of the ordinary and I decided to switch my auto transmission from D to Sport. I switched it over and sure enough it didnt switch. It just stayed in drive while it was switched over on the shifter to the sport side. So I switched it back to D and then tried it again. Sure enough same thing. It would go over to the right position with the shifter but it wouldnt actually put the car into SPORT mode. If I used the pattles they work just fine but after about 3 or 4 seconds it would shift back to regular D. So my problem is I cant put the car in manual mode to where it can hold the RPM's at 4000 and not shift back into Drive mode after a few seconds. Its like its not reading the shifter is going into the sport mode even though it is. I can even shift with the steptronic but it switches back to D. If its not the shifter or the shifter assymbely, then what could it be? I usually use it alot but it shouldnt wear it out right? Just pretty wierd to me. If anyone has any opinions, please share!!
      03-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #2
stratplaya06
Captain

Drives: 2008 E92 335xi

Somewhat common problem here, some of the wiring under the shifter can get fubar'd because of the moving parts around there. Here's what I would try first.

Pull shift knob straight up (watch your head, it takes some muscle but it will come up),
Then, pull up the plastic surround from the leather boot, it also comes straight up. As soon as you get the surround detached, carefully pivot it up towards the dash of the car and inspect the wiring connected to it. There should be two wiring connectors attached to that surround, check them out and post back.

| PROcede Rev3 | Vishnu Meth | DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust | AR Coated/Catless | CP-E FMIC | Quaife |
stratplaya06 is offline   United_States
      03-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Thanks for the advice. Tried it and everything appears to be fine I think I'm going to take it in as I talked to my service advisor and he stated that it's probably a shifter or a transmission control module. Thank God I have CPO so I'm taking it in at 2 this afternoon. I will def keep everyone posted as to what exactly it is because it's a very annoying thing. I use the sport side alot just because I hate the way D feels. In D, the car shifts way to earlier in the rpm range so I hardly ever drive it in that setting.
A/W E92 335i M-sport with JB4 G5 ISO/ E40 WEDGE PERFORMANCE BACKEND FLASH, Alpina TCU flash for AT/Switch-tronic +AR Downpipes, Stett gen 1 intake, Wagner-Tuning FMIC+RB Turbo setup/ RB PCV Valve+ Akro exhaust+60% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW coilovers, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@119mph on street tires) NO METH!
      03-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Abenitez
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Black Sapphire E92 335is 2012

Garage List
2012 335is  [0.00]
yeah take it in and see what they say. Could it be the car not registering the action of the changes between D and sport mode? Let me know the result as I too have a DCT 335is

2012 E92 335is -M Sport Package- 19in M Rims- Black Sapphire Metallic/ Coral Red / Glaciar trim, Rear diffuser. Black Grille, 5% window tint. K&N drop in Air filter. Scarlett
Abenitez is offline   United_States
      03-01-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Just dropped it off at the dealership so we shall see what the deal is.. I dont even have that many miles is whats making me not understand why in the world its doing this. Kind of an uncommon problem I think... I have never heard of this kind of issue at all and neither has my service advisor....Will keep everybody posted just in case this happens to another member
      03-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #6
805beemer
Captain

Drives: 2008 135i

pretty common problem: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=423376&page=2

Good luck
805beemer is offline   United_States
      03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
boostaholic786
Lieutenant

Well I just got off the phone with my advisor and they replaced the shifter which did not fix the problem. Then they replaced the transmission control module/megatronic sleeve and sure enough that didnt fix it either. So I went searching on e90post and found someone that had the exact same issue. His particular issue was one of the wires that connect into the shifter was cut or not in place. So I emailed my service advisor that thread and he forwarded it to my tech. The tech read through it and went back to my car, pulled up the shifter, and sure enough one of the wires was cut/not connected. Since they already coded the megatronic module/transmission control module to my car they couldnt take it out and use it on another one so it has to stay installed. I def got pretty lucky on this one because I have heard of a few 335's that has the megatronic sleeve starting to leak when they start getting into the higher miles. I dont have high miles on my car but I do plan on keeping this car for a while as a daily driver or whenever the new M5 gets priced somewhere in my budget. Even if I get the F10 M5 im still keeping my 335 because its probably the most ideal Daily you can have it would be pretty nice having a 400whp DD and a 650hp M5 or M6 as my toy!!
I hope this helps anyone having the same issue!!
      04-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
beirutvet
Registered

Drives: 07 328i

Sport Shift

I had the same problem a while back and it would not shift properly, fortunately it was still under warranty and the replaced the appropriate parts (cant recall exactly) and it worked like a charm. I now have 80000 on my 07 328i. Today, I moved the shift to the left for sport shift and nothing...remained in drive and would not down shift. Got to work, shut down the car, restarted and the same problem. In "D", it goes through the gears fine. Reverse works fine...just no Sport Shift..which I am now addicted to.

I'll pull the console and look at the wiring as described in recent posts...I'm hoping that is the problem.
      04-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #9
beirutvet
Registered

I got home and pulled the wiring...sure enough, there it was. See http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=423376&page=2
for an excellent series of photos and instructions. grey/white wire had break in the insulation. Waiting for the weekend to get necessary supplies to see if other wires are bad as well.
      04-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
beirutvet
Registered

Picked up a few parts and went to work. Discovered what many other posts confirmed. Initial break in insulation on grey. Pull back the insulation on the harness found copper showing on 6 of 8 wires, the other two broken through. Again...wires were VERY short, made soldering nearly impossible. Pulled entire harness, clipped remaining wires, soldered, hot glued the crap out of the connection, wrapped the wires and re-routed the harness. voila!! Works like a charm, PRND, 1M-6M, SD and +/- all light and sport shift operates like new!! Closer to a 2.5 hour job for me but hey....I"m slow AND, I created a bit more work for myself by cutting and re-routing the harness.
      02-28-2014, 01:47 AM   #11
igor_ki
Captain

Drives: A LIL BIMMER

i need help, i just changed the shifter assembly from another e90 i have and it worked on that car but still doesn't work on mine, I noticed that when the car is off and i move through the gears, it shows D and when moved to the left it shows DS, but when the car is started and i move the shifter the left it only shows M2 or M1 and doesn't up or down shift, also the paddle shifters don't work. please help, whats wrong? my wires are all good and when the car is off it displays the DS mode...

HISTORY: 2008 e92xi 6MT, 2009 e90 6AT, 2008 E90 6MT, 2011 E90 6AT, and 2 Hondas
igor_ki is offline   United_States