E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Maximum Contacts transfer via Bluetooth?

01-27-2007, 06:41 PM   #1
comso

Drives: E90 335i (Montego)

Maximum Contacts transfer via Bluetooth?

In my searching I've found somewhat conflicting info, and am hoping someone can settle this for me. I have an E90 with Bluetooth and iDrive. I also have a BlackBerry 8100 Pearl.

There seem to be a number of things to consider in syncing your Pearl (or any BBerry) to our cars:

- Some posts seem to say there's a 1000 contact limit
- Some posts seem to say there's a 1000 phone number limit
- Some posts say phone numbers cannot contain letters (ie., 555-CALL)
- Some posts say phone numbers cannot contain punctuation other than '-'

Has anyone seen a definitive list of good/bad? I have about 1200 contacts in my BBerry, and don't really want to cut that down in the wrong direction or unecessarily. I have punctuation (such as +) and letters (as above) in many of the contacts. As well, the 1200 contacts yield about 2000 phone numbers.

I'm having problems syncing the phone book to my car, hence the research. I get along just fine if I set "Allow Address Book Transfer" to disabled in the Bluetooth settings of the phone. On the other hand if I allow it, the phone reboots every minute or so, and pops in and out of bluetooth connectivity along the way.

Of course, my dealership tried to be helpful, but has no idea.

Any suggestions? Anyone know where to turn for some real support on this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
comso is offline   Canada
      01-27-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
comso

Drives: E90 335i (Montego)

So, after a few hours of trial and error testing, I can conclusively say that letters in phone numbers and punctuation of pretty much any variety doesn't bother the system.

What does bother the system is more than 1000 contacts. I haven't checked to make sure they all made it into the car one by one, but things started to work the second I ended up below 1000 contacts. This is weird, because my friend's 8700 worked fine at this - but it just loaded the first 1000 contacts rather than crashing.

It's important to note, however, I didn't get below 1000 phone numbers - just contacts.

Now, if I could get it to do voice recognition half as well as the Pearl did it, I'd be off and running!
comso is offline   Canada