E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > Killed my e90 with Inpa or NCS Expert

02-25-2017, 10:40 PM   #1
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Killed my e90 with Inpa or NCS Expert

I have a 2011 BMW 328i that ran fine before I used Inpa and NCS Expert. I was coding my VIN to a used FRM I bought because my original bricked. I have had some Vanos issues so I did a few adaption resets and a relearn of the VVT with INPA. After coding I drove the car and a few miles down the road it died and would not restart. It will crank but just will not start. Had it towed home and have been trying all day to figure out what's wrong and trying to get everything back to stock but it still will not start. The battery has been on a charger all day while trying to recode. What could I have possibly done? Is there anything I can post in terms of information that could help an expert identify the problem and help me get the car started. I'd be willing to pay, I certainly would rather pay someone here than take it to the stealership. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Levanime
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 335

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
first of all dont worry,

clear codes, try to start the car, and tell us what codes do you get
we will start from there.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Thanks, I just cleared the codes and tried to restart. No luck. Attached a pic of the codes
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:07 PM   #4
Levanime
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
Looks like you have 2aa1 camshaft sensor outlet, part number is 13627525014

I would first of all clean Vanos solenoids with carb cleaner, its very easy
if it does not help you can replace that sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #5
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettBucsFan View Post
Thanks, I just cleared the codes and tried to restart. No luck. Attached a pic of the codes
Scan with ISTA & see if it translates the first two codes. It looks like communication is timing out. Did you do anything DME related besides clear adaptation?
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 11:09 PM   #6
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Not sure if this may have something to do with it but I think last night I botched the parts related to FSW_PSC.TRC and FSW_PSW.MAN and don't know how to start all over. I bought a laptop that came preloaded with all the software and came with a cable but the attached tutorials were not the best.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:12 PM   #7
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

I just put new Vanos solenoids and an exhaust camshaft sensor in it. That has nothing to do with it not starting. I'm sure I messed up the DME or EWS somehow because everything works fine but it just won't start. It certainly wants to but something is keeping it from starting that has to do with whatever I coded to it last night.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:13 PM   #8
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
I just put new Vanos solenoids and an exhaust camshaft sensor in it. That has nothing to do with it not starting. I'm sure I messed up the DME or EWS somehow because everything works fine but it just won't start. It certainly wants to but something is keeping it from starting that has to do with whatever I coded to it last night.
Are you in a position to be connected to the car now? I've got 10min or so I can TeamViewer in & try to assist.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 11:23 PM   #9
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Yes, but the laptop I have for coding isn't set up for internet. I have a separate laptop I can use for TeamViewer though. Will that work or do you need to see the coding laptop, if so I'll figure out a way to get it online and we can look at it tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:29 PM   #10
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
Yes, but the laptop I have for coding isn't set up for internet. I have a separate laptop I can use for TeamViewer though. Will that work or do you need to see the coding laptop, if so I'll figure out a way to get it online and we can look at it tomorrow.
Yes. I would need access to the computer connected to the car.

If you honestly think it's a coding thing(I doubt it is), open NCS- choose expert mode, select your chassis & select the option code car. This will code the entire vehicle back to stock(assuming you haven't edited your VO).

Your car utilizes EWS 4 so I doubt the DME & cas are UN-synced due to EWS4 not having alignment functions.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Levanime
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
car died while driving, it would not be sync

its more vanos/valvetronic sensor/solenoid
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #12
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levanime View Post
car died while driving, it would not be sync

its more vanos/valvetronic sensor/solenoid
I edited the post, it was a typo. My bad!
Appreciate 3
      02-25-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

I did a relearn on the VVT, so that may be it but why would it run fine for a few miles then all of a sudden shut down? The car has never died before and I have had Vanos codes for 6 months, replaced solenoids, camshaft sensors etc. Those are not things that keep the car from starting. The Valvetronic could be the problem I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2017, 11:51 PM   #14
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

I am not sure if I should be using MSV70 or MSV80 in INPA and don't know if that matters. I tried both. I think the VO is the problem, pretty sure I messed that up somehow. I have tried recoding with my VIN in NCS and a few of the modules won't code. Also see attached photos from INPA. I'm a little concerned that many of the modules don't have my VIN attached and have older manufacturing dates.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:09 AM   #15
Levanime
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [0.00]
DME:
2F81:Engine shut-off time, Time counter Instrument Cluster - Time counter DME, Comparison
2F83:Engine shut-off time, Time counter Instrument Cluster - Time counter DME, Comparison

DSC:
D35A: DSC: No message (CAS 304)
5E18: CAN DME/DDE Message

CAS:
A0B4: ENGINE STARTER OPERATION
A10A: EWS4 timing challenge/response error
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Just manually reset the valvetronic, instructions say to use allen wrench and turn all the way clockwise till it stops. I tried that and still not starting.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #17
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Thanks for looking those up, EWS timing challenge might be it, as well as engine shut off time. I'll see what I can find on those.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 12:28 AM   #18
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

Well I think the DME codes are from leaving the Carly OBD in the car after I turn it off, and the EWS timing challenge doesn't seem to be a big deal. I've never seen those codes before though. I'll go back and check the dates on them. I've been getting a starter fault for months but it has always including now turned over just fine so I'm not sure why that code keeps showing up?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #19
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

I got ISTA working and it found the following list of codes. Almost all of them I have never seen before and they all happened at once.

Looks like someone else had a similar problem, but no resolution was mentioned.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-diagn...-dme-cas-1673/

I've attached the errors from ISTA
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
BimmerGeeks
Rep

Quote:
I got ISTA working and it found the following list of codes. Almost all of them I have never seen before and they all happened at once.

Looks like someone else had a similar problem, but no resolution was mentioned.

http://bmwcoders.com/forum/bmw-diagn...-dme-cas-1673/

I've attached the errors from ISTA
Please explain ANY OTHER THING you did besides use Inpa, NCS & install a new frm. Anything mechanical? Any other modules swapped?

Also, your exhaust camshaft code is for signal, not plausibility meaning it's either completely dead or became/is unplugged. This would also explain the engine shutting off mid-drive. Please double check the exhaust camshaft sensor.

If it is indeed plugged in, swap it with the intake camshaft sensor & see if the code moves to intake.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #21
Sensible_
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90

What is your battery voltage???

Have you tried re aligning CAS / DME? You can do this with ISTA D.

A lot of your faults are referring to CAS which suggest that although the car is cranking the handshake between CAS and DME isn't complete.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 02:05 PM   #22
BennettBucsFan
Private
Rep

The exhaust camshaft position sensor was bought from the dealer last week. However I just noticed it didn't include an oring so it is leaking. I'll clean the connections and retry but this isn't something that will prevent the car from starting, which is all I am concerned about at the moment. I think somehow the key isn't being recognized as one that should be able to start the car. It can lock and unlock the doors though. Everything I've read about EWS issues seems to be what is happening. How do I realign the CAS/DME in Ista?
Appreciate 0