E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > BMW CODING success

01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #749
Pseudo Nim
twinborific

Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxjecxxx View Post
I ALWAYS wear my seat belt but I still disabled the chime only for the drivers side. Passengers is still active. In some cases it's extremely annoying.

It's there for a reason, use it.
Hehe fair enough, just bugging you. I actually have to do the same thing. I _hate_ the chime when the car starts. Considering seat belt is basically second nature at this point, the chime is REALLY unnecessary - at least for me.
      01-04-2011, 11:18 AM   #750
spazticrecords
Banned

Drives: 2010 E90 328 XI

I'm still afraid if this disables some other check, and what if the airbag doesn't deploy. I mean is it worth it. I would love to disable mine as well. I know SBR = seat belt reminder and then next value is passenger or driver but can anyone actually confirm it only removes the gong.
      01-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #751
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Drives: Jet Black 06 325i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazticrecords View Post
I'm still afraid if this disables some other check, and what if the airbag doesn't deploy. I mean is it worth it. I would love to disable mine as well. I know SBR = seat belt reminder and then next value is passenger or driver but can anyone actually confirm it only removes the gong.
I was curious about the airbag also. If I take my seat belt off there is no chime but the seat belt light is still on on the dash. I'm not curious any more, that's good enough for me.
      01-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #752
Pseudo Nim
twinborific

Guys, there is NO WAY that if you take out your seatbelt the airbags are disabled. That is GUARANTEED death. Airbags will still deploy, although the person will be hurt significantly more; it cannot be that if you disable the chime, then, that the airbags are disabled. Come on, be logical In some countries, I'm sure the cars come without the chime preconfigured.
      01-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #753
antiks
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
so theoretically this tool can read and dump the ecu values correct? and re-write to the ecu? as in how the flash tuners are doing it? if so, this is almost like how openECU and the open source tunes started for the suby scene. or is this completely incorrect?
      01-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #754
DimSum
Banned

Drives: SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiks View Post
so theoretically this tool can read and dump the ecu values correct? and re-write to the ecu? as in how the flash tuners are doing it? if so, this is almost like how openECU and the open source tunes started for the suby scene. or is this completely incorrect?
This is only reading and writing hex lines from modules, if you want to use read and dump ECU data like DME you will need another software which will require a few hours to read and write.
DimSum is offline   Canada
      01-04-2011, 02:33 PM   #755
antiks
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
but it's going through the same k+dcan line ?
      01-04-2011, 02:36 PM   #756
DimSum
Banned

Quote:
but it's going through the same k+dcan line ?
Yes, you just need compatible software and drivers of course
      01-04-2011, 04:29 PM   #757
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSum View Post
Yes, you just need compatible software and drivers of course
Interesting.
      01-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #758
Mike Benvo
MWhisperer

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
remind me why you drive w/o a seatbelt?
I don't. I actually instinctively put it on. However, a lot of times I'm ruffling around with stuff in the garage before I actually hit the street, and the seatbelt gong annoys me during that time.

As far as the passenger side, if I have a heavy bag on the seat it sets that one off.

No more bling bling!!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      01-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #759
Mike Benvo
MWhisperer

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
You can actually connect to the ECU and change a couple of things. But nothing too crazy like an ECU tune. You would need the software I have to actually modify the hex in the DME. Regardless, here is the readout from the DME from my M3:

MILANSTEUERUNG
wert_01
MSA
nicht_aktiv
IGR_CODIERUNG
nicht_aktiv
KRAFTSTOFFAUSLEGUNG
wert_01
MDRIVE_MSS
aktiv
MODELLJAHR
wert_02
CKM_CODIERUNG
aktiv
OELWARTUNGSINTERVALLMSS1
wert_02
M_BUTTON
nicht_aktiv

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
      01-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #760
DimSum
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
You can actually connect to the ECU and change a couple of things. But nothing too crazy like an ECU tune. You would need the software I have to actually modify the hex in the DME. Regardless, here is the readout from the DME from my M3:

MILANSTEUERUNG
wert_01
MSA
nicht_aktiv
IGR_CODIERUNG
nicht_aktiv
KRAFTSTOFFAUSLEGUNG
wert_01
MDRIVE_MSS
aktiv
MODELLJAHR
wert_02
CKM_CODIERUNG
aktiv
OELWARTUNGSINTERVALLMSS1
wert_02
M_BUTTON
nicht_aktiv

These are DME settings, not DME tune information.

If you wanted the tune information you will need some other kind of software.

NCS Expert is noobie stuff
      01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #761
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Quote:

Feel free to bless us with your intelligence.
      01-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #762
antiks
Lieutenant

Garage List
2008 335i  [4.50]
lol.. and there has to be, as ppl like cobb/giac/etc.. are obviously doing it.. and it's good that this cable can be used to dump and write!
      01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #763
Mike Benvo
MWhisperer

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:

We use CMD for reading/writing and WinOLS for hex editing and sometimes checksum correction. Believe me I know

Any thoughts on if I enable the M Button function? That might be for the M5's 400/500 horsepower modes, whereas on the E9x M3, only the throttle response map is switched.

01-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #764
xxxjecxxx
Captain

Quote:
We use CMD for reading/writing and WinOLS for hex editing and sometimes checksum correction. Believe me I know

01-04-2011, 09:30 PM   #765
Pseudo Nim
twinborific

Quote:

Any thoughts on if I enable the M Button function? That might be for the M5's 400/500 horsepower modes, whereas on the E9x M3, only the throttle response map is switched.
And WinKFP I assume.
      01-04-2011, 10:19 PM   #766
Mike Benvo
MWhisperer

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
And WinKFP I assume.
To be honest with you, I've never used WinKFP. I do have it on my BMW Laptop though. Can you explain what it is and what it is used for? I'm very curious to try it out if it serves a useful purpose. Thanks!!

And for those wondering what the ECU code looks like, here is a pic of a small snippet of hex code from an E9x V8 M3.
Attached Images

01-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #767
Pseudo Nim
twinborific

Quote:
To be honest with you, I've never used WinKFP. I do have it on my BMW Laptop though. Can you explain what it is and what it is used for? I'm very curious to try it out if it serves a useful purpose. Thanks!!

And for those wondering what the ECU code looks like, here is a pic of a small snippet of hex code from an E9x V8 M3.
WinKFP is used for flashing modules. So, for instance, if you wanted to flash ISTA/P 2.40 (so v40) onto your ECU (or onto your radio, Bluetooth, CAS, Kombi, etc. etc. etc.), you would do this with WinKFP.

In theory, if you had the right equipment (meaning a properly powered laptop, lots of backup batteries, stable connection and all that) then you should be easily able to flash your own ISTA updates - don't have to go to the dealer for lagfixes and so on if you had access to ISTA (and it's "out there").

Of course, it's FAR from being for ones of faint heart - it's not like a BIOS flash where you can recover from a bad flash. But it's technically doable OUTSIDE a dealership. Just probably not the best idea, hehe.
      01-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #768
DrivinMissDaisy
Lieutenant

Drives: 12 Kia Soul !

OK got my cable in today. Only took 10 days for shipment not bad since it came from Hong Kong.

After pulling out my hair trying to get the cable to work, because I am using Vista, I finally got it. I was able to read the ECU and change things but when it came to writing to it I got an error. Lost communications. I am charging my laptop again and see if that was the issue.
      01-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #769
Mike Benvo
MWhisperer

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Ahh I see... I will try it out..

Any ideas on how to get the updated files from BMW (what are the updated files called?) Can you force code modules with it? Can you selectively choose the modules to program, or it makes you bring the software level up on everything such as on the dealer systems?

If you are willing to offer some help on this, I would love to give it a shot!

Quote:
WinKFP is used for flashing modules. So, for instance, if you wanted to flash ISTA/P 2.40 (so v40) onto your ECU (or onto your radio, Bluetooth, CAS, Kombi, etc. etc. etc.), you would do this with WinKFP.

In theory, if you had the right equipment (meaning a properly powered laptop, lots of backup batteries, stable connection and all that) then you should be easily able to flash your own ISTA updates - don't have to go to the dealer for lagfixes and so on if you had access to ISTA (and it's "out there").

Of course, it's FAR from being for ones of faint heart - it's not like a BIOS flash where you can recover from a bad flash. But it's technically doable OUTSIDE a dealership. Just probably not the best idea, hehe.

01-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #770
Pseudo Nim
twinborific

Quote:
Ahh I see... I will try it out..

Any ideas on how to get the updated files from BMW (what are the updated files called?) Can you force code modules with it? Can you selectively choose the modules to program, or it makes you bring the software level up on everything such as on the dealer systems?

If you are willing to offer some help on this, I would love to give it a shot!
The files are not "public", though what you are looking for is "ISTA". If you have a good rapport with the dealer, perhaps you can get it from him; failing that you would have to get it from nefarious sources. Basically, as far as I understand, BMW does _not_ want you to have it - for obvious reasons I guess, since you can trash the car if you are careless.

You can update individual modules. That said - I'm unfortunately far from being an expert on it ... hell, I haven't ever flashed any of mine and am not going to (although I'd _love_ to get v39 and up on my R56...... fixes torque steer ).