E90Post

MINHS Auto Care Center

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > performance intake

11-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #23
CobraMarty
Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 328xi Coupe

The AFE looks very similiar to the EURO box I bought. The EURO box is more completely sealed. I did a flow test on the EURO box and with and without the snorkel and front elbows in place, it flowed the same, no difference. With and without the K+N filter (Cone shape on the EURO) it flowed the same so the K+N caused no restriction or minimal to even detect. With and without the lid it flowed the same. When I take off the stock air box I will flow it to compare. Interesting when I blew air into the snorkel to simulate 'ram air/scoops' the flow did increase. When I flow the stock box I will post all the numbers.
2007 328xi E92 Coupe // 6 MT-Crimson Red, Black Interior, Brushed Silver Trim//Sport Seats//BMW Perf. SW Alcantara//CF Roof, Front Lip, Trunk Lip Spoilers//18" 197, F-5mm, R-15mm Spacers//Akebono Euro Ceramic Pads//MGP Red Caliper Covers//BMW Alarm System//BMW CF Perf. Strut Brace//LUX H8 v3.0 AE//6k HID Fogs//BMW PE//Macht Schnell Intake Scoops//BMW EURO Intake//AA Tune//188AWHP-->196AWHP-->216AWHP//SOON- 3 Stage Intake Manifold!
      11-08-2010, 10:20 AM   #24
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
The AFE looks very similiar to the EURO box I bought. The EURO box is more completely sealed. I did a flow test on the EURO box and with and without the snorkel and front elbows in place, it flowed the same, no difference. With and without the K+N filter (Cone shape on the EURO) it flowed the same so the K+N caused no restriction or minimal to even detect. With and without the lid it flowed the same. When I take off the stock air box I will flow it to compare. Interesting when I blew air into the snorkel to simulate 'ram air/scoops' the flow did increase. When I flow the stock box I will post all the numbers.
How did you do your flow test? Can you also measure temp?
      11-08-2010, 08:47 PM   #25
Blk_Beemer

Drives: 328xi

Just to clarify, an aFe intake can be installed on a 328xi without any modifications to the housing of the air filter. I have an 2007 e90 328xi non-lci and just installed an aFe intake (pro dry-s) this past weekend. The only modification I had to make was to slice off a small plastic nib where the housing clamps to the engine (easy cut with an exacto knife, it's smaller than the size of a tic-tac). Some have mentioned that there can be a bar in the way, or that modification to the housing is necessary. Just wanted to clarify that this is not the case with all xi models. Not only does it sound great, but I've noticed an improvement in acceleration (combined with aftermarket exhaust) between 2000-4000 rpms.
      11-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #26
dsstroyer

Drives: 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Beemer View Post
Just to clarify, an aFe intake can be installed on a 328xi without any modifications to the housing of the air filter. I have an 2007 e90 328xi non-lci and just installed an aFe intake (pro dry-s) this past weekend. The only modification I had to make was to slice off a small plastic nib where the housing clamps to the engine (easy cut with an exacto knife, it's smaller than the size of a tic-tac). Some have mentioned that there can be a bar in the way, or that modification to the housing is necessary. Just wanted to clarify that this is not the case with all xi models. Not only does it sound great, but I've noticed an improvement in acceleration (combined with aftermarket exhaust) between 2000-4000 rpms.
Can you post some pics of your setup. Where did you purchase it and how much did it cost?
      11-09-2010, 12:01 AM   #27
jfisher160
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 320i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan.sidarta View Post
Yeah, but ud get into trouble for having no carbon filters right? (if they for some reason find out) And you're doing the environment bad.. naughty naughty.. hahahhahaha
No I have not had any problems with not having the Carbon Filter and the dealership works on my car and no issues.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
      11-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #28
jfisher160
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 320i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
With respect to the additional air scoops, I begin to agree that they don't do much, because the BMW performance intake, nor any after market cold air intakes use them, in fact while the BMW performance intake increases the size of the air intake duct, it does not even change the BMW stock intake scoops. Meaning those stock air scoops are large enough, the limiting factor is the size of the stock intake duct and the paper filter.

Over all if money is not an issue, and performance, not the sound is what you are after, the BMW performance intake is the way to go.
I agree the aftermarket scoops might not do much but at high speed it helps push alittle more air into the intake box. And they only cost $50 or $60 so it's no big deal. Plus if you are under warranty the BMW performance intake will not cause you any problems.

Sold - 2007 328i (3-Stage Manifold - BMW Perf Intake w/Scoops - Powerbox - Magnaflow Exhaust - MMW Headers - KW Street Comfort - VMR 701s 19' w/M3 offset - BMW Strut Brace - 330I Brake Conversation - 5% Tint All Around - 8K HID Fog Lights -Angel Eyes)
      11-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #29
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher160 View Post
I agree the aftermarket scoops might not do much but at high speed it helps push alittle more air into the intake box. And they only cost $50 or $60 so it's no big deal. Plus if you are under warranty the BMW performance intake will not cause you any problems.
Where did you get them for only $50 or $60?

Also how did you remove those two damn plastic pins holding down the air snorkels?
      11-09-2010, 02:17 AM   #30
c_jeong89
Banned

Drives: E90 TiAg

cyba sells scoops for 39. To take out the pin I sort of just plied it out.
c_jeong89 is offline   United_States
      11-09-2010, 09:00 PM   #31
Blk_Beemer

Here are some pics, sorry about the quality, it dark in my garage. It is a standard setup, no extra modifications. I also have scoops installed. To take out the pin, use a pair of plies and pull the pin straight up. To remove the grommet, just take a flathead and wedge it underneath and pry it out, working your way around the grommet. If you break it, don't worry, a replacement only cost like 30 cents from Tischer.

To make your life easier when your installing the scoops by yourself, take out your grill by pressing the clips in the inside and popping it out. Then use a piece of tape on each side to hold it up in place, place the take on the outsides lip (closest to the wheels). It's easier if you have two people, but can be done by one person.

Name:  photo1.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  338.2 KB

Name:  photo2.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  365.9 KB
      11-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #32
Blk_Beemer

I forgot to mention that I got it from Turner Motorsport, ran about $330. Their service was fantastic, would definitely order from them again. I thought this was a little pricy, and then looked into the Dinan and BMW Performance set-ups and those were a lot more than I thought was worth spending on it. The exact model I got was "aFe Stage 2 ProDry S Intake Kit"
      12-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #33
dsstroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk_Beemer View Post
I forgot to mention that I got it from Turner Motorsport, ran about $330. Their service was fantastic, would definitely order from them again. I thought this was a little pricy, and then looked into the Dinan and BMW Performance set-ups and those were a lot more than I thought was worth spending on it. The exact model I got was "aFe Stage 2 ProDry S Intake Kit"
I got mines today as a gift, I will try an install it tomorrow. I will post some pics. What after market exhaust are you using?
      12-22-2010, 09:51 PM   #34
dsstroyer

I'm looking for an an after market exhaust, what do you guys recommend would match well with the afe?
      12-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #35
overkill1125
Captain

Drives: 2013 328i xdrive

No one has gotten a CEL because of the afe? Installed mine and 2 days later my CEL came on. It was the air ratio that was off.
overkill1125 is offline   Canada
      12-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #36
dsstroyer

I just finished installing it, very nice, took about 20 min to get it in. No mods at all. I'll post pic a bit later. Sounds great.
      12-27-2010, 04:18 AM   #37
AlpineSwift
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

I pulled the trigger on the aFe Stage 2 Oiled version. Ever since I replaced my factory tube to cut out the stupid silencer I've been meaning to come up with a permanent solution to the mess of piping going to the stock intake. It's currently being packaged and will be ready to ship out tomorrow thanks to one of the members on this board no longer needing it (Wifey doesn't like vroom vroom I guess).

Despite the tit for tat BS that everyone has been shooting back and forth about the aFe, I found several posts made by the same guy who happens to be putting in a lot of effort to get us our first realistic and reliable forced induction setup saying it was worth the money. Thanks Gavin for convincing me. It'll go nicely with my upcoming plans this summer.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, BMW PE w/Race Cats & Cyba Tips, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Tanya: The Build Thread
Dyno Sheets w/Current Mods
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States
      12-28-2010, 02:05 AM   #38
EconVaughn

Drives: '07 N52N E92 6MT Sport Saddle

afe oiled?

so alpine, you recommend the afe oiled?
they seem to be the most cost effective intakes, right?

i'm looking for a throaty masserati sound, and maybe a little increase in hp, and NOT for $1200 like my local dealer is recommending. i would even consider a negligible hp gain/loss if it meant a good sound & not one of my limbs.

feel free to direct me to the correct forum if i'm out of place here.
thanks.
EconVaughn is offline   United_States
      12-29-2010, 01:49 AM   #39
AlpineSwift
Colonel

Drives: 2008 335Xi Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by EconVaughn View Post
so alpine, you recommend the afe oiled?
they seem to be the most cost effective intakes, right?

i'm looking for a throaty masserati sound, and maybe a little increase in hp, and NOT for $1200 like my local dealer is recommending. i would even consider a negligible hp gain/loss if it meant a good sound & not one of my limbs.

feel free to direct me to the correct forum if i'm out of place here.
thanks.
The aFe is probably the best all rounder and its even better if you can find it second hand in good shape. Then again, at $400, its a bargain compared to the stealership. I dunno about maserati sound but you will love the sound it produces. Guaranteed.
E92 '08 335Xi 6AT - Cobb AP V2, ar design DP's, BMW PE w/Race Cats & Cyba Tips, VRSF CP w/Tial BOV, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS DCI, BMS Cowl, H&R Coilovers, Renn Motorsport RS-51's, Alpina TCU Flash, Turner Boost Gauge, Fully Coded.
Tanya: The Build Thread
Dyno Sheets w/Current Mods
AlpineSwift is offline   United_States