E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Problems on my commute this morning. Ses light, shaking, rough start and no coolant

11-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
bk335
Lieutenant

Drives: 335xi 6MT

Problems on my commute this morning. Ses light, shaking, rough start and no coolant

Yes, another one of those threads. I've searched around and haven't gotten a clear answer. Anyways, car got a new HPFP a few weeks ago and it still starts rough sometimes. This morning is was 20*F and the car took 3-4 sec to start. But it wasn't just a long crank, it cranked for a second then almost started up then went back to cranking then almost started up then went back to cranking then finally started. Also, the low coolant warning sign came on but I checked and it looked ok. Anyways, once I get on the highway after about a mile it started violently shaking, lost power and the ses light came on. I immediately pulled over and turned it off. I waited about 5 min to see if it was still on so I fried it up again and it was fine. Low coolant warning was gone too. I got off and went to a parking lot to check on it, I'm by no means a mechanic but when something is wrong I can usually tell. Everything seemed fine, no weird smell or anything, everything seemed normal. Anyways, I continue to work and the car ran perfectly fine.

I'm going to call my stealership and get it in ASAP. Thank goodness for warranty. I'm positive it's either plugs, coils or injectors at this point. Last time I was in there for HPFP, I told them to look at them and they obviously never did. Hopefully they'll listen this time.

What do you guys think? Plugs, coils, injectors or something else?

EDIT I checked after work when the engine was cold and there was ZERO coolant in the reservoir. Luckily I was only 10 min from my dealer. I was able to make an appointment during the day. As of right now, I'm not sure what's going on. The dealer topped off all the fluids a few weeks ago when they replaced the HPFP and for the coolant to be completely gone is extremely bizarre.

Last edited by bk335; 11-12-2013 at 08:20 PM.
bk335 is offline   United_States
      11-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
goofyboots81
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 335xi

Garage List
2010 335i  [5.00]
I'm not a mechanic, but I did have my injectors replaced (along with my HPFP at the same time) and my car sputtered, would shake violently, fail to start on the first try etc. A lot of the same things you described. There was also a very strong gas smell and white smoke coming from the exhaust. Have you noticed that too? If so, it may be your injectors.

Everything you described matches up with my bad injectors symptoms. The difference is as soon as I recognized the problem, I killed it and summoned the tow truck.

Good luck. (And thank god for the warranty.)
goofyboots81 is offline   United_States
      11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

Personally I doubt the plugs would do that, having changed mine DIY, I saw no positive effects once the new ones were in place, nor did I see any negative effects.

If it were in for HPFP recently, then that would have covered the injectors and lpfp (unless the dealership did not follow the instructions).

(I thought maybe the BMW was sensitive and rushed to replace prior to 45k. My Nissan's have been in there about 110k when they were designed for 60k in 1998, no difference)
      11-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
bk335
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyboots81 View Post
I'm not a mechanic, but I did have my injectors replaced (along with my HPFP at the same time) and my car sputtered, would shake violently, fail to start on the first try etc. A lot of the same things you described. There was also a very strong gas smell and white smoke coming from the exhaust. Have you noticed that too? If so, it may be your injectors.

Everything you described matches up with my bad injectors symptoms. The difference is as soon as I recognized the problem, I killed it and summoned the tow truck.

Good luck. (And thank god for the warranty.)
I'm leaning towards injectors too from what I've read. And I haven't smelled a gas smell but white smoke does come from the exhaust when the engine is cold but that seems normal to me.
      11-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
bk335
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Personally I doubt the plugs would do that, having changed mine DIY, I saw no positive effects once the new ones were in place, nor did I see any negative effects.

If it were in for HPFP recently, then that would have covered the injectors and lpfp (unless the dealership did not follow the instructions).

(I thought maybe the BMW was sensitive and rushed to replace prior to 45k. My Nissan's have been in there about 110k when they were designed for 60k in 1998, no difference)
True, I'm doubting it's the plugs. But I really need to look at them but I don't have the bms tool. I also highly doubt they would cause a problem like that. Hopefully the my dealer won't charge me $50 again since they should've checked them last time. Not to mention I need a brake fluid flush too which I'm not going to DIY since it could potentially mess the clutch up from what I've read.
      11-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #6
marc@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 2010 e92 335i

I think it's the injectors as well. Hopefully they'll replace all six.
      11-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
bk335
Lieutenant

Hopefully they'll look at the injectors, but I find it extremely bizarre that there was ZERO coolant in the reservoir after I checked after work.
      11-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #8
335BOY
Major

Drives: 09 335 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk335 View Post
Yes, another one of those threads. I've searched around and haven't gotten a clear answer. Anyways, car got a new HPFP a few weeks ago and it still starts rough sometimes. This morning is was 20*F and the car took 3-4 sec to start. But it wasn't just a long crank, it cranked for a second then almost started up then went back to cranking then almost started up then went back to cranking then finally started. Also, the low coolant warning sign came on but I checked and it looked ok. Anyways, once I get on the highway after about a mile it started violently shaking, lost power and the ses light came on. I immediately pulled over and turned it off. I waited about 5 min to see if it was still on so I fried it up again and it was fine. Low coolant warning was gone too. I got off and went to a parking lot to check on it, I'm by no means a mechanic but when something is wrong I can usually tell. Everything seemed fine, no weird smell or anything, everything seemed normal. Anyways, I continue to work and the car ran perfectly fine.

I'm going to call my stealership and get it in ASAP. Thank goodness for warranty. I'm positive it's either plugs, coils or injectors at this point. Last time I was in there for HPFP, I told them to look at them and they obviously never did. Hopefully they'll listen this time.

What do you guys think? Plugs, coils, injectors or something else?

EDIT I checked after work when the engine was cold and there was ZERO coolant in the reservoir. Luckily I was only 10 min from my dealer. I was able to make an appointment during the day. As of right now, I'm not sure what's going on. The dealer topped off all the fluids a few weeks ago when they replaced the HPFP and for the coolant to be completely gone is extremely bizarre.
Violent shaking is (was for me) sign of bad injectors. Sometimes they clear themselves but it will reoccur. I had 2 bouts of 3/visit.