E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Remap Advice



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-15-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
zaytar
Private
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

335i Remap Advice

Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some remap advice - I've been contemplating having my 335i remapped.

I'm not after more speed necessarily, however would like smoother acceleration and a stronger mid range.

With the weather getting colder and roads more slippery, I've noticed how the traction engages far more often (when pulling out of junctions for example) and wondered weather a remap would make this worse - Will it be more frustrating trying to get the power down?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
doughboy
Major General
doughboy's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
6,384
Posts

 
Drives: E91 335i Sold.
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: UK

iTrader: (2)

Try re-mapping your right foot its a lot cheaper and you don't need special equipment!

If you have more power for the same given physical throttle pedal movement then, yes, you will have to be even more careful with the loud pedal!
__________________
335i gone E63 AMG here at last!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
m1bjr's Avatar
United Kingdom
37
Rep
3,313
Posts

 
Drives: RS250 CUP
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Somerset UK

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytar View Post
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some remap advice - I've been contemplating having my 335i remapped.

I'm not after more speed necessarily, however would like smoother acceleration and a stronger mid range.

With the weather getting colder and roads more slippery, I've noticed how the traction engages far more often (when pulling out of junctions for example) and wondered weather a remap would make this worse - Will it be more frustrating trying to get the power down?

Thanks.
Been covered dozens of times.
Try using the search button?

If you have traction issues you dont need more midrange, you need drivetrain and suspension mods.
Seriously expensive.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,421
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
yeps...been discussed before...


I think changing tyres, and an lsd might be more appropriate for you....

I think that the accelaration is very smooth in standard form....ok it is a bit torquey...but ....overall acceleration is very smooth across the range range...I would actually favour something more aggresive, but thats just me....
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
11
Rep
393
Posts

 
Drives: 335i Saloon
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hampshire - UK

iTrader: (0)

Had remap last year, 380bhp & over 400 torque thingys!

No traction problems whatsoever unless I turn off DSC and floor it!

Answer to your question: Yes acceleration will be smoother and yes mid range much better and also mpg (because of torque increase, not so much gear changing)
__________________
Current: AW F20 M135i :-)
Past Masters: E90 335i with Evolve / Honda Accord Type R / Prelude VTI / Prelude 2.2 Vtec
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Can't believe you have not had it done already mate!
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
russtic
Private First Class
russtic's Avatar
2
Rep
157
Posts

 
Drives: 335i M Sport DCT, JB3 Map 7
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Can't believe you have not had it done already mate!
+1 got the JB3 - it is a hoot! A totally different car.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
6
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: None at present!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytar View Post
Hi Guys,

Would appreciate some remap advice - I've been contemplating having my 335i remapped.
Me too; mine's at Birds as I type, having suspension + Quaife LSD. The car is currently stock.
Will post up a report shortly.
Then its off to Evolve for a stage 1 remap, again will report findings.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #9
zaytar
Private
1
Rep
87
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (0)

Many thanks all for the responses - appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,421
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Me too; mine's at Birds as I type, having suspension + Quaife LSD. The car is currently stock.
Will post up a report shortly.
Then its off to Evolve for a stage 1 remap, again will report findings.

Mike.

lookin forward to the review!
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 04:07 PM   #11
MB London
Come as you are
MB London's Avatar
United Kingdom
17
Rep
1,140
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d M-sport
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
Me too; mine's at Birds as I type, having suspension + Quaife LSD. The car is currently stock.
Will post up a report shortly.
Then its off to Evolve for a stage 1 remap, again will report findings.

Mike.
Why don't you get birds to re map it, I'm pretty sure they have simulair maps as birds anyway
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #12
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
6
Rep
536
Posts

 
Drives: None at present!
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: England

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB London View Post
Why don't you get birds to re map it, I'm pretty sure they have simulair maps as birds anyway
Just price really, Evolve quoted half Birds' price, plus Evolve had some tasty Supersprint exhausts going cheap, which they're fitting on the same day as the remap.

I'm sure both companies fully deserve their good reputation - as promised, will post a review of both jobs.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
pjs's Avatar
58
Rep
2,560
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335d
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NORTH

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
lookin forward to the review!
+1
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:22 PM   #14
DavS1
Major
DavS1's Avatar
Scotland
19
Rep
1,174
Posts

 
Drives: Emfree
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder what's actually different in these maps compared to BMW's own...a lot of the time they are std generic maps but tweaked, i.e. boost limits removed or raised, Lambda sensor's disabled (so when cat's are removed, it doesnt throw up the EML)

I dont think they are maps someone has started from scratch anyway!
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic97427_1.gif
Monte Carlo Blue M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
golfsting
E93 335i
golfsting's Avatar
Scotland
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: E92 325d M
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

To be serious, just get either a JB + quick install or the JB3.
Been covered before as the guys have stated, but these piggy back devices with give you between 40-80whp for 200-500 quid. And you can remove them in ten mins.
Re map is set until you return the car to stock via the tuner.

My motor is running about 380bhp and it breaks traction if you WANT IT TO. it was breaking traction running at stock IF I WANTED IT TOO also. is a rear wheel drive bemmer?

Get it done wont regret it, different motor altogether.
__________________
E93 335iM drop top. Juiced up.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #16
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
I wonder what's actually different in these maps compared to BMW's own...a lot of the time they are std generic maps but tweaked, i.e. boost limits removed or raised, Lambda sensor's disabled (so when cat's are removed, it doesnt throw up the EML)

I dont think they are maps someone has started from scratch anyway!
Yes there are. GIAC has re-engineered the software and rewrote it from scratch (which is why it took them so long to get it right). They're distributed by Regal Autosport in Southampton.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #17
DavS1
Major
DavS1's Avatar
Scotland
19
Rep
1,174
Posts

 
Drives: Emfree
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well there's a turn up for the books

Nice to see someone doing it from scratch though, If I were them, i'd use the cold start/hot start and all they kind of parts of the map so they will always be right no matter what.

I've saw brand new M3's 'remapped' by company's charging stupid amounts i.e. 900, who supposedly remap lambo's, porsche's, ferrari's...(how they improve on a supercars map I do not know..) before and after on the RR, so wether or not the RR wasn't right to start with (which it was, as the car made bang on std power) and after, where it made err....exactly the same power. That was an 'interesting' day shall we say.

I also howl when I hear of 'Mappers' mapping more than 1 car a day (tuned cars) (heard upto 6 cars from one chap)....having witnessed loads of cars being mapped correctly from scratch, to realistically be able to say you can do more than 1 is complete nonsense!

Anyhoo that's besides the o.p.'s question
__________________
http://www.e90post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic97427_1.gif
Monte Carlo Blue M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #18
zltm089
Major General
zltm089's Avatar
United Kingdom
90
Rep
7,421
Posts

 
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LONDON

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfsting View Post
To be serious, just get either a JB + quick install or the JB3.
Been covered before as the guys have stated, but these piggy back devices with give you between 40-80whp for 200-500 quid. And you can remove them in ten mins.
Re map is set until you return the car to stock via the tuner.

My motor is running about 380bhp and it breaks traction if you WANT IT TO. it was breaking traction running at stock IF I WANTED IT TOO also. is a rear wheel drive bemmer?

Get it done wont regret it, different motor altogether.
which one have you got? JB PLus or JB 3?
__________________

Current Car: E92 335i SE Dream Cars: AMG SL65 Black,GallardoSuperleggera, GTR 2012, Agera R, F430 Scuderia, DBS, EVO X FQ400, Lexus LFA, F10 M5, M4, GT3 RS4.0, Ferrari 458, Ferrari F12, R8 V10 plus, Jaguar F Type V8, Lamborghini LP700-4 Aventador, Chevrolet Camaro ZL1, C63 AMG Coupe Black, Vanquish 2012, Laferrari, GT3 991, McLaren 650s.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:58 AM   #19
paapaa
Second Lieutenant
Finland
6
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: 335i AT Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to paapaa
Hi

I Have 335i steptronic. Tuner remapped it to 360hp 480nm. Tuner remaps manual 335i to 360hp 520nm. so....anyone know, if clutch or what is limiting the torque in automatic version of 335i? or does it handle more and my tuner just is "too" safe with the AT?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 03:40 AM   #20
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paapaa View Post
Hi

I Have 335i steptronic. Tuner remapped it to 360hp 480nm. Tuner remaps manual 335i to 360hp 520nm. so....anyone know, if clutch or what is limiting the torque in automatic version of 335i? or does it handle more and my tuner just is "too" safe with the AT?
Go to another tuner.

There's no reason to make such a difference. If anything, the AT can take more torque than a MT. Only above 500hp / 750Nm you will get to a point where you may want to upgrade the torque converter of the AT. For a MT, it is likely that the clutch has to be upgraded already on lower power levels.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #21
paapaa
Second Lieutenant
Finland
6
Rep
208
Posts

 
Drives: 335i AT Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Finland

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to paapaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Go to another tuner.

There's no reason to make such a difference. If anything, the AT can take more torque than a MT. Only above 500hp / 750Nm you will get to a point where you may want to upgrade the torque converter of the AT. For a MT, it is likely that the clutch has to be upgraded already on lower power levels.

Alpina_B3_Lux
thank you for the quick reply! yes, i will have to consider another tuner and ask current tuner, why they have done so.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #22
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paapaa View Post
thank you for the quick reply! yes, i will have to consider another tuner and ask current tuner, why they have done so.
Just for comparison, my first remap (Evotech) got to 399hp/560Nm. My current GIAC stage 2 is at 433hp/677Nm or 456hp/700Nm with meth.

Evolve and DMS are both very good in the UK. GIAC is also distributed through Regal Autosport. COBB would also be an alternative, considering they support European cars now.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST