E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Need new tyres!!

11-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #23
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
If you want them to match the fronts then get these http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=457224 and then flog the other two (or keep as spares)
I'm prob about to ask a v stupid question but what do you mean by above quote??

Sorry for stupidness
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #24
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac07 View Post
I'm prob about to ask a v stupid question but what do you mean by above quote??

Sorry for stupidness
You've mentioned you need to replace two tyres, so, guessing they are OEM Bridgestone's, some people like to have the same manufacturer on all corners. So, buy these four Bridgestones, stick two on your motor (to match the existing Bridgestone's which will remain on your car) and either sell the spare two or keep them to one side for when the others need changing.

I made the switch to 4x Falkens as soon as I needed two new rears - replaces all four for less then two new RFT rears and improved the ride quality and handling to boot.

Only downside I can see is if you have a puncture that can't be repaired so need to be towed. But, I had a RFT that punctures and the 19' alloy eat through it in now time, so needed towing anyway. Of course RFTs are really there to reduce the effect of a blowout on a motorway - not wanting to tempt fate but has this ever happened to you???

Just get a compressor for the boot, couple of cans of tyre-weld, and you're away http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slime-SmartSpa...item5d26ed3844. You can get a space saver tyre if that makes you more comfortable; think they are about £150. A dealer will be able to supply one. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=36&fg=95
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2010, 06:07 PM   #25
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

Thanks mate I think I'm going to go down same route as u sounds like the best option!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #26
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
You've mentioned you need to replace two tyres, so, guessing they are OEM Bridgestone's, some people like to have the same manufacturer on all corners. So, buy these four Bridgestones, stick two on your motor (to match the existing Bridgestone's which will remain on your car) and either sell the spare two or keep them to one side for when the others need changing.

I made the switch to 4x Falkens as soon as I needed two new rears - replaces all four for less then two new RFT rears and improved the ride quality and handling to boot.

Only downside I can see is if you have a puncture that can't be repaired so need to be towed. But, I had a RFT that punctures and the 19' alloy eat through it in now time, so needed towing anyway. Of course RFTs are really there to reduce the effect of a blowout on a motorway - not wanting to tempt fate but has this ever happened to you???

Just get a compressor for the boot, couple of cans of tyre-weld, and you're away http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slime-SmartSpa...item5d26ed3844. You can get a space saver tyre if that makes you more comfortable; think they are about £150. A dealer will be able to supply one. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...49&hg=36&fg=95

That bit I can never work out, a blow out is when your tyre brows out

aka

If that happens RFT or non RFT will result in same outcome you are stuck.
If a tyre blows side walls which a stiffer want help as nothign to hold them in shape. THey only work on low pressure or no pressue

IMO RFTs just save you hassle of the gunk in a can job. So if you dont mind having to deal with that in a puncture moment and prefer smoother ride and saved cost then ditch RFTs.

UNless you live in Europe / Germany where the B roads are smoother than our motorways and then RFTs are not a problem. On our recent ring trip I was how smooth some of those roads are. Even the worse roads are better than our good ones.
      11-25-2010, 03:06 AM   #27
SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

M-Sport

Hi there.

You mention your car is an M-Sport with standard 225 tyres, but usually M-Sports run staggered wheels with 225 front and 255 rear.

the most significant different between RFT and no RFTs is their behaviour if a sudden loss of pressure occurs. Non-RFTs typically come off the rim and you lose control whereas RFT generally remain seated and allow you to maintain control.
In cars that can achieve 155mph on unlimted German autobahns, this is a fairly significant difference. And you know what they say...there a 2 types of driver; those who've had a blow-out and those who will have a blow-out

Essentially in fitting non-RFTs you are disabling a fairly major safety feature of your car. You will however be slightly more comfortable. I realise this statement flies in the face of those who who wish it was otherwise. The argument that blow outs hardly ever happen can be equally well applied to '
"airbags hardly ever go off"...but when they do they can save your life.

I
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #28
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Hi fair point but at same time if I did live on the continent where roads are far better I would keep them. I've had many punctures in past before and never a problem with no RFTs. If you get a deflation at higth speed I doubt RFT or non RFT will do muich to keep you in straight line. OK at 150+ yes I can see the added bonus. Bus since these days 70 is the border I think I rather save my spine and few hundred for a new tyre if I get puncture.

Each to their own
      12-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #29
harry007
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White M5 F10

Hi ive just bought a set of falken fk452 235 35 19 and 265 30 19 for my e92 coupe. If someone can shed some light on this...what pressure in psi should i be using them on? its a 320d.

Thanks Harry.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #30
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry007 View Post
Hi ive just bought a set of falken fk452 235 35 19 and 265 30 19 for my e92 coupe. If someone can shed some light on this...what pressure in psi should i be using them on? its a 320d.

Thanks Harry.
You'll get different opinions on this. I set mine about the same as the RFTs but ended up tweaking them a couple of psi up or down (can't remember).

Non-RFT's will initially feel a little more spongy on turn-in, due to the softer side-walls, so changing the psi helps to compensate this, but then again this is also what helps to provide better ride comfort, so it's getting the balance right. Just see what suits you best.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0