E90Post

Lux Angel Eyes

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Parking Ticket, WTF!!!

11-23-2010, 10:36 PM   #1
Barbera335
Lieutenant

Drives: F25

Parking Ticket, WTF!!!

So I had a lease on a 335i awhile back. I turned the car into the dealer on June of 2010 and it was sold to auction from the dealer and ended up at Sterling BMW in Newport Beach. I know this because I stumbled upon the ad for my old car on autotrader. Anyway today I recieved a parking ticket from the city of Newport on that 335. The date of the violation was Oct of 2010, I have'nt had the car or even seen it since June. What is my course of action here? According to the letter I need to provide the city of Newport with a bill of sale on the car proving I no longer own it. I don't have a bill of sale because I never owned the car as it was a lease. I'm pretty sure I tossed all the lease end paper work anyway. Can I just ignore it and it stays with the car or will this parking ticket show up on my driving record? Any help would be appreciated.
      11-23-2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Slwdrvr
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 e90 328i

i'm sure the parking ticket is just on the car, i don't know if it'll show up on your record since it didn't ask for your drivers license. can't have points on a driver's record without their drivers license number. so i would just talk to newport about the parking ticket and have them deal with it, or you can find some sort of paperwork proving you aren't owner of the car anymore. this the best i can think of. good luck.
      11-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Dare
Major

Drives: 335i E92 Montego Blue

Garage List
2011 E92 335iS  [0.00]
2005 330ci E46  [0.00]
2008 E92  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to Dare
It will show on your record as it is in your name, you need to contact the lease company and get them to send you the paper work showing that the car was sold.

I had a similar thing happen to me with a toll road ticket.

Car Pics
Pre M-Fest 2009 Photos
Official Montego E9x Owners Club: Click Here
Dare is offline   United_States
      11-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

don't be lazy and ignore it, it'll bite you in the ass later.

call the leasing company as suggested

or go look for your paperwork
you should never toss paperwork..
persian54 is offline   United_States
      11-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
Barbera335
Lieutenant

Drives: F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
don't be lazy and ignore it, it'll bite you in the ass later.

call the leasing company as suggested

or go look for your paperwork
you should never toss paperwork..
Yea, that was my mistake, tossing the paperwork. The leasing company was BMW financial so I sort of expected them to take care of everything. I also find it hard to believe that someone could walk onto a lot and buy my old car, which was CPO'd by the dealer in Newport before they sold it and the car is still my name. Something does'nt make since here. I'm calling them on Monday, just been crazy busy with the holidays.
      11-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
lawwailok
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 335i, E70 X5

Garage List
yea shit happens. my bmw dealer f up my registration for a full year and still didn't have a clue how to fix it, ended up i had to do it myself at DMV.
lawwailok is offline   United_States
      11-27-2010, 09:38 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General

Drives: SL550. Prev: E93 M3/335i/Z435i

dmv sucks

i sold a car
took the the paper work to the dmv, and the name hadn't transferred a month later.

i almost got screwed cause the kid had had an accident and ran.. the insurance came after me

good thing i had kept a copy of my release of liability with the dmv stamp on it

always keep a copy of everything
persian54 is offline   United_States
      11-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
jwhite697

Drives: BMW 328i Convert.

This has happened to me 3 times. Once on a Mercedes, once on my 6-series, and just recently on my 7-series. DO NOT ignore it, if you read the ticket there should be a place on the back of the ticket that has instructions if you do not own the vehicle. Usually you can just write down who you sold the car to (dealership), but often times they want more than that. One ticket i received where LA was the issuing county, i had to enclose a declaration statement, as well as transfer of ownership. All docs should be in the envelope you receive when buying the car. If there is no instructions, call and they will tell you how to contest the ticket. Also go online to the DMV website and submit an additional transfer of ownership....in any case this is what I did, and i have not had a problem.

hope this helps
      11-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #9
colorblue
Private

Drives: 04/07 328i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhite697 View Post
This has happened to me 3 times. Once on a Mercedes, once on my 6-series, and just recently on my 7-series. DO NOT ignore it, if you read the ticket there should be a place on the back of the ticket that has instructions if you do not own the vehicle. Usually you can just write down who you sold the car to (dealership), but often times they want more than that. One ticket i received where LA was the issuing county, i had to enclose a declaration statement, as well as transfer of ownership. All docs should be in the envelope you receive when buying the car. If there is no instructions, call and they will tell you how to contest the ticket. Also go online to the DMV website and submit an additional transfer of ownership....in any case this is what I did, and i have not had a problem.

hope this helps
wow.. this sux...