E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > *Official* 6FL iPod/USB Thread



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-01-2007, 02:33 PM   #507
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
195
Rep
12,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
For those who have programmed a memory button for the iPod, just curious how long it takes to begin playing when you press the button. Mine is usually pretty quick, considering it has to load the data... just a few seconds.

Always starts playing at the top of the master list though... I'm getting tired of hearing that one song every time!
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 04:36 PM   #508
floodland
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: 2007 E93 328i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose, CA

iTrader: (0)

Greetings!

I had the same issue as you, door locks, etc when I said aux, now I use "audio aux menu" and it works fine.. I found a cheat sheet somewhere and for everything but aux it has "xxx menu" i.e. fm menu.. but for aux it says "audio aux menu".

ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp View Post
personally i am finding 6FL to be extremely
even more fun, the voice activation refuses to understand "AUX" under any circumstances.

me: "AUX audio."
idrive: "Time."

me "Audio Aux" / "Aux input" / etc
idrive: "Locks."

__________________
Current Rides: 07 E93 328i, SG/Red/Everything, 2003 HD Heritage Softail, 2000 Honda VFR Interceptor
Previous: 2003 SLK350, 2000 H1, 99 996 Cab, 97 M3 Sedan
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 04:38 PM   #509
jmonier
Captain
9
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
For those who have programmed a memory button for the iPod, just curious how long it takes to begin playing when you press the button. Mine is usually pretty quick, considering it has to load the data... just a few seconds.

Always starts playing at the top of the master list though... I'm getting tired of hearing that one song every time!
Mine is a second or so. I do most of my listening from a playlist that includes most of my songs. Once I set that up to be random then it always starts from where it left off and continues in random just like the iPod does by itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #510
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
195
Rep
12,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by floodland View Post
Greetings!

I had the same issue as you, door locks, etc when I said aux, now I use "audio aux menu" and it works fine.. I found a cheat sheet somewhere and for everything but aux it has "xxx menu" i.e. fm menu.. but for aux it says "audio aux menu".

ymmv
Good sleuthing!! Thanks for posting a solution - can't wait to give it a try.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #511
DocHarvick
Happy Fan...Happy Man!
DocHarvick's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
32
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Coupe, BS/Sad Brown
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Ok, first of all, I just watched my baby roll of the transport truck, will be ready for me at noon tomorrow for pick up!!

But, I was asking my CA about the iPod hookup, and he said that very soon BMW is going to announce the capability to directly hook up smartphones like a Treo etc to the usb and basically use the phone through the system, and the phone screen will display on the screen!! Imagine, internet, email, videos...it's limitless. I'm suddenly very glad I went with my treo...
__________________
Whose Cuisine Will Reign Supreme?
1987 325is Coupe, White with Blue Interior
2007 335i Coupe, 6MT, Black Sapphire, Saddle Brown, Sport, Luxury, Nav, Comfort Access, Dark Tint:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 09:21 PM   #512
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post
Mine is a second or so. I do most of my listening from a playlist that includes most of my songs. Once I set that up to be random then it always starts from where it left off and continues in random just like the iPod does by itself.
So if you set up your iPod for random play then it will play random thru iDrive? So everytime you stop the car and get out and get back in it pick up where you left off and continues with random? But only if you use playlist and random setting on your iPod? Correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #513
jmonier
Captain
9
Rep
812
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i E92, 2002 325i
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
So if you set up your iPod for random play then it will play random thru iDrive? So everytime you stop the car and get out and get back in it pick up where you left off and continues with random? But only if you use playlist and random setting on your iPod? Correct?
I haven't really tried any other way so I don't know what else will or will not work but this is certainly one way that does work.

When I took delivery of the car I had already been listening to the iPod by itself using this playlist in random mode. When I connected it to the car (using the Y-cable) and selected AUX it started playing from where it had left off and continued through several startups of the car. A day or so later I tried some of the other features (so that I was playing other individual songs, etc.) and then went back and selected the same playlist and random using the 6FL interface. It started up the playlist (but probably not where it was before) and has been continuing in random mode through many startups for the last several weeks.

So, selecting random in this fashion via 6FL apparently sets up the iPod in the same way as selecting random directly through the iPod.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #514
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Ok, So I took someones advice here (can't remember who it was) and changed all my Genre to the first letter of the artists name to allow for easier searching on the new 6FL. So then I updated my iPod and it's gonna take 9 hours to update the Genre field on all my songs (I currently have 991 songs on my iPod)

Is this right? OMG this is gonna take forever.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2007, 10:46 PM   #515
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
lyndon_h's Avatar
20
Rep
1,920
Posts

Drives: e90
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Madagascar

iTrader: (2)

Sounds like ITunes is wiping your Ipod, then filling it back. I hate it when Itunes does this. This is why i use Winamp to sync my Ipod rather than Itunes.

There has to be a way to set up "smart genres". I'd hate to manually associate all my songs to a genre everytime i add a new album
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 07:15 AM   #516
Reize
New Member
Reize's Avatar
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Ok, So I took someones advice here (can't remember who it was) and changed all my Genre to the first letter of the artists name to allow for easier searching on the new 6FL. So then I updated my iPod and it's gonna take 9 hours to update the Genre field on all my songs (I currently have 991 songs on my iPod)

Is this right? OMG this is gonna take forever.
Yep, it was my advice and that's just the way iTunes updates stuff... it doesn't. It appears to try to match all the id tags and if they don't match, it gets rid of it and puts the new version on.

It is going to take a long time, but it's worth it, trust me.

it's not quite forever, but pitty me... I've got over 6500 songs on mine! lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 08:37 AM   #517
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Your right, just because I updated the Genre field for all my songs, it wiped out my iPod and then re-loaded each song back into my iPod. I let it update overnight and this a.m. they seem to be all back...only one problem. Now all my album covers are messed up, they don't match up to the correct song. Some match most don't.

How do I fix this? When I go into iTunes, all the artwork match up correctly, however when I look at the song play on my iPod the artwork is wrong. I just tried to update the iPod again and it says it's updated but artwork is still wrong on most of my songs. Help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 08:52 AM   #518
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
195
Rep
12,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reize View Post
Yep, it was my advice and that's just the way iTunes updates stuff... it doesn't. It appears to try to match all the id tags and if they don't match, it gets rid of it and puts the new version on.

It is going to take a long time, but it's worth it, trust me.

it's not quite forever, but pitty me... I've got over 6500 songs on mine! lol.
That's a lot of songs! I don't quite have half that.

Got any Zeppelin in there?
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:02 AM   #519
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I just tried to deleted the artwork in iTunes for 1 song (even though it's the correct artwork) and then updated my iPod again thinking it would update the correct artwork for that song on my iPod and no luck, still showing the wrong album artwork on my iPod.

I'm sorta regretting doing this, it's messed up all my artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #520
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
195
Rep
12,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Weird how changing the Genre would do that to the artwork. I know in my iTunes some artwork just will not download, even though I'm sure it must be in the library.

I still say the best method is to use playlists, which are easy to change, and leave the bulk of the library intact.
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #521
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
LEDZEP's Avatar
195
Rep
12,277
Posts

Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Area 51

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I wonder if iDrive could be updated to allow you to "wrap" from A to Z in the list if you scroll "up" from the beginning. That would even be an improvement - except for the titles in the middle!
__________________


I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 09:40 AM   #522
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Yeah a warning to those that try this method. I found the solution but what a PITA. Like I said after I did this Genre change....the artwork in iTunes is correct but my iPod artwork is a hit or miss, some are right but most are mixed up with the wrong artwork.

What made matters worse is that because itunes is right but some of the artwork on my iPod is wrong, I couldn't tell which I needed to correct unless I looked at every single one on my iPod and wrote down which ones I needed to correct.

So my solution is this, I right clicked and copied the artwork in iTunes and then clicked and highlighted each song in that album on iTunes for that artwork and then right clicked and went to Get Info and then pasted the artwork into that little square box in Get Info and pasted the artwork into that area and it re-copied that artwork for each song for that album. Then I tested it and re-hooked up my iPod and when it went thru the update your iPod I could see it updating the artwork for that album I just corrected. Now it's correct on my iPod. Bad thing is I have to do this workaround for each album in itunes and then connect my iPod and update.

Can I have my hour back now? argh!!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 12:54 PM   #523
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Guess I posted too soon, just finished updating and my artwork is still all screwed up on my iPod after doing this Genre change. What a mess, any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 02:31 PM   #524
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

I'm reformatting my iPod, hope this gets back my artwork. Should know by tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:24 PM   #525
Reize
New Member
Reize's Avatar
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
That's a lot of songs! I don't quite have half that.

Got any Zeppelin in there?
Several... IV and Houses of the Holy, of course.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #526
Reize
New Member
Reize's Avatar
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
I'm reformatting my iPod, hope this gets back my artwork. Should know by tomorrow.
Bimmerforlife, I've really got no idea what's gone wrong for you. I've got a 40Gb iPod photo and although it effectively removed every song from my iPod and replaced it, all my artwork is fine.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why yours took so long to update with only a fraction of the songs I've got on mine (are you using firewire or USB and if it's USB, is your port 1.1 or 2.0 compatible?) Even so, removing and replacing all 6000+ songs on mine took it just about 60 minutes from docking my iPod to it telling me that the update was complete. ANd that included the time it took it to check and remove each song.

Sorry you've had a problem with that, but aside from your current course of action (wiping it and starting again) I'm not sure what more I could have suggested to repair your artwork.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #527
Bimmerforlife
Karen Carpenter-a star on earth-a star in heaven
Bimmerforlife's Avatar
18
Rep
705
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reize View Post
Bimmerforlife, I've really got no idea what's gone wrong for you. I've got a 40Gb iPod photo and although it effectively removed every song from my iPod and replaced it, all my artwork is fine.

Also, I'm not entirely sure why yours took so long to update with only a fraction of the songs I've got on mine (are you using firewire or USB and if it's USB, is your port 1.1 or 2.0 compatible?) Even so, removing and replacing all 6000+ songs on mine took it just about 60 minutes from docking my iPod to it telling me that the update was complete. ANd that included the time it took it to check and remove each song.

Sorry you've had a problem with that, but aside from your current course of action (wiping it and starting again) I'm not sure what more I could have suggested to repair your artwork.

Yeah I have USB 1 so it is super super slow. I've re-formatted it and have 800 more songs to update. Should be done in a few hours. Have 30GB Video iPod. 117 videos and 988 songs. I hope this fixes my artwork. Weird that iTunes is fine but the iPod artwork messed up after I did that Genre change.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 05:05 PM   #528
Reize
New Member
Reize's Avatar
0
Rep
23
Posts

Drives: 118Dse + Aud, Comfort, Dynamic
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Birmingham, U.K.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
Yeah I have USB 1 so it is super super slow. I've re-formatted it and have 800 more songs to update. Should be done in a few hours. Have 30GB Video iPod. 117 videos and 988 songs. I hope this fixes my artwork. Weird that iTunes is fine but the iPod artwork messed up after I did that Genre change.
I don't profess to be an iPod/iTunes guru (just an enthusiastic user) and came up with the idea of using the Genre for quickscrolling through the alphabet for myself, but I can't understand what's gone wrong for you either. It's all a bit strange.

Hope this cures it for you though. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST