E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > OEM exhaust mod [valved](BETTER THAN PE MOD)

04-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #1
fbo_335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
OEM exhaust mod [valved](BETTER THAN PE MOD)

I currently drive a supercharged E46 M3 but I had a FBO e92 335i n54 w/ a modded oem muffler.

I was planning on doing the PE MOD (replacing the perforated piping with solid piping on both sides). While this sounds great for the price, I wanted to be able to switch between loud and quiet. I looked at exhaust cutouts, but I wanted the sounds (exhaust tone, backfires, etc.) to come out the rear rather than the bottom middle/front of car.

I stumbled across this video, where the guy with a n55 335i did the PE mod to the driver side muffler only, so when the factory valve closes on the driver side, the exhaust is redirected out of to the passenger side stock muffler (super quiet). So basically it is switching between the straight pipe muffler and stock, to just the stock muffler.

Here is the video explaining:

It cost me about $200 for a shop to do it, but it can be done DIY, there is a guide on here for PE MOD DIY if you want to do it yourself.

The valve controller and receiver unit that plugs into the factory valve so that it can be controlled by remote is exhaustmeister.com . I have a used one that I took off of my old 335i, PM if interested, will ship for $95 (retail is $129).