E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Right where do i start?!?

12-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 58' Reg 320i MSport Le Mans Bl

Right where do i start?!?

Ok I posted a thread on here a few days ago about changing from my 19" bridgestone rfts as I need two new rears but the bridgestones were about £680 fitted for two! so I was thinking about changing to good quality non rfts as they were cheaper and was advised that they look exact same on car? I went out to the local dealer today and they said they would not advise changing to non rft as it would compromise the braking and suspension etc is this true? I really want to change to them but I am worried they will not agree with car and I have no idea what size to get??

Extremely confused today

Any help at all would be more than welcome

Thanks a million
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
nik_nak
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: E90

Ha Ha what a load of rubbish I have gone from 18" RFT to 19" non RFT and the car is transformed so go figure!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

That's good news,how do I know what size non rft do I go for??
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
pjs
Colonel
Rep

Drives: F30 335d

The dealers will always trot out the line that the suspension and related components are set up for the harder sidewalls of the RFT. Which I understand is correct. And if you get a broken wheel or other warranty claim related to non rft, they may try to wriggle out of it. Many on here make an informed choice.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 325d M Sport auto - LCI (E90)

People told me that. It's complete rubbish. It's BMW propoganda.

For example, the ES and the SE are exactly the same with regard to the suspension etc. The SE has RFT's, the ES has non-RFS's - unless you specify them.

I was also told that you need a spare tyre if you don't have RFT's and other similar stuff - again rubbish. I have since discovered that half the cars on the road seem to come without a spare these days - virtually none seem to overcome this by fitting RFT's.

If I was in your position I would speak to the people at (say) Event Tyres or Camskill and explain your situation to them. They will give you a more accurate picture.

I am 10,000 miles into non-RFT's now and don't regret the decision top change.

Also, tyres with big names mean big prices - but that doesn't make them better tyres. Again, get Event/Camskill to recommend a tyre to suit your needs and budget.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Animalfreeride
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: BMW 335i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormac07 View Post
Ok I posted a thread on here a few days ago about changing from my 19" bridgestone rfts as I need two new rears but the bridgestones were about £680 fitted for two! so I was thinking about changing to good quality non rfts as they were cheaper and was advised that they look exact same on car? I went out to the local dealer today and they said they would not advise changing to non rft as it would compromise the braking and suspension etc is this true? I really want to change to them but I am worried they will not agree with car and I have no idea what size to get??

Extremely confused today

Thanks a million
I know exactly what you're feeling as I was in the same predicament a few months ago!

After much deliberation I took the plunge and went for Conti Sport Contact 3 Non-RFT. There is less noise and the ride is miles more comfortable. I haven't lost any teeth since!

I'm not sure if it was my imagination knowing that I had gone to Non-RFT, but initially I thought the handling was slightly "wallowy". However over the course of a few months I have either adapted my driving style or I have just got used to them. I feel more confident at speed now but it would be interesting to see how the car handled if I reverted back (not that I intend to). You will need to buy a tyre weld kit, a jack and an air compressor (got the kit and compressor at Halfords which is stored under the carpet in boot).

In short given the choice personally I would stick with Non-RFT. BMW gave me the same advice maybe because they don't want to admit the ride is quite harsh with RFT's. Afterall, the M3 has standard tyres and have not heard any complaints about the ride comfort.
Car Ownership History Red Ford Sierra, Blue Ford Orion Giha, Burgundy Ford Fiesta, Black Vauxhall Corsa SRI, Blue Rover 216 SI , Silver Volvo S40 T4 Saloon, Blue Renault Clio RXE, Black Renault Clio 172 Sport, Red VW Polo, Peugeot Expert & BMW 335i MSport Coupe
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Here's the order of things you need to do -:

* Locate a different place to stick tyres on
* Ask them to stick 4x Falken 452's on (same size you've currently got)
* Source some tyre weld & compressor for boot
* Relax
* Spend your saving on Christmas

Just checked your last thread as you've got 225's. hotcoupe said this about the sizes -:

If your going down the Falken route it's best you upsize to 235 and 265 tyres.
Falken don't do a 255/30/19 tyre.
For:
2 x 235/35/19
2 x 265/30/19
you'll pay between 520 - 560 fitted.

Maybe stick with that advice but any decent independent tyre place should be able to advise...

Oh, and here's your emergency weld & compressor (what I've got) http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Slime-Emergenc...item3f0564ce23
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe

Last edited by rogerxp; 12-07-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:

Extremely confused today

Thanks a million
680 for two tyres, did that include the car!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:15 PM   #9
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Guys thanks again for all the help I am now firmly happy to go with non run flats and I will contact the guys mentioned above thanks a million for all your help and I will keep ye updated!

Don't know where else I could get as good advice as this
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:16 PM   #10
cormac07
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by acerboo View Post
Quote:

Extremely confused today

Thanks a million
£680 for two tyres, did that include the car!!
My thoughts exactly!!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 05:25 PM   #11
RichJ
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Drives: E92 M-Sport 330i Le Mans Blue

I changed to 19inch nft, what a change and would never go back to rft.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
wayne71
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
I changed to 19inch nft, what a change and would never go back to rft.
nft = non flat tyre?

Not surprised you noticed a difference
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #13
BIGTIME
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 DCT - Mineral White

The only thing that puts me off NRFT is if you try to make a claim for a cracked alloy and BMW reply 'it's because of the softer tyres sir'.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: XFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGTIME View Post
The only thing that puts me off NRFT is if you try to make a claim for a cracked alloy and BMW reply 'it's because of the softer tyres sir'.
They set their tolerances so tightly that you are more likely to get refused payout than to get it. Run flat or no run flat.

The chances or getting a cracked alloy on a sound rim with non run flats is greatly reduced.

There have been some reports but no where near as many as 19s with run flats. Not just the 225's but the 230 alloys too.

I have no idea what makes it crack, whether its a combination of super stiff sidewalls, rubber band profiles, extra weight in the verts, potholes or even speed bumps which might catch the inner alloy if you try and straight line the small ones.

Either way, with good replacements, the handling isn't compromised but the ride is a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 06:24 AM   #15
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
That's good news,how do I know what size non rft do I go for??
Exactly the same size shoule be used whether RFT or not.

That keeps it as simple as possible.
      12-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

What is the effect on your car insurance policy? I note that some companies are charging more for drivers to put on winter tyres for example, even though they lessen the chance of a claim.
How do they view swapping to a non standard setup?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #17
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep

Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teutonicdriver View Post
What is the effect on your car insurance policy? I note that some companies are charging more for drivers to put on winter tyres for example, even though they lessen the chance of a claim.
Different insurers take a different view so if in doubt check first. Some don't tell their insurer, I guess that decision comes down to your choice, but it's not the one I would make. I have a total distrust of insurance companies these days and just know that they will use any excuse to get out of paying. If you change the tyre size from standard that will certainly be a factor with them.
I am convinced that the BMW setup works to its optimum on smooth continental roads and the issue is that suspension isn’t tuned to cope well with crap British road surfaces.

The winter tyre premium loading issue is a total scandal and I suspect we haven’t heard the last of where that is going! However, to be fair we put winter tyres on our 1 series this year and the insurance company (Zurich) said that as they met the manufacturer’s specifications (the BMW winter tyre scheme in our case) there was no charge.

This link may be of interest

http://www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article. ... leid=22819

Last edited by Falmouthboy; 12-08-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:18 PM   #18
evil_scooby
New 335d coupe owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: Ex,Scooby, Ex S4, now 335dGT

I was in the same boat as you last week and swapped my 19" RFTs to Falken 452s.
I think it was about 290 fitted for two rears compared with the 600+
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 03:58 PM   #19
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 325d M Sport auto - LCI (E90)

Quote:
I would be amazed if there is an issue with the insurance. I have been with Esure and Aviva. No problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

Quote:
No issue with non rfts or winters of the same size and ratings. There cannot be in any way. A tyre is a tyre is a tyre.

Even the ABI have confirmed no loading is permitted for winters and no need to inform either, runflats aren't even worth discussing with insurers.

There is / maybe an issue for those who change sizes or wheel style though as that is a different issue.