E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Macht Schnell Stud Kit Installation DIY



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-14-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Thumbs up Macht Schnell Stud Kit Installation DIY

For those interested in my write up, click the following link:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419570


Tools Needed

-5.5mm Hex wrench
-Car Jack and Support (Jack Stands)
-Breaker Bar with 17mm Socket
-Torque Wrench


Step 1
Look at your old ugly Lugs.



Step 2
Use your breaker Bar to crack loose all of the lugs so you don't have to deal with the wheel spinning while it's lifted in the air.



Step 3
Once you crack all of the lugs loose, Jack up the car and support.





Step 4
Take off all of the Lugs and take the wheel off.



Step 5
Use the provided Loctite and apply to the studs.



Step 6
Install the studs by using a 5.5mm hex wrench. Just make sure they are snug.





Step 7
Once all studs are installed....



Admire how you can put the wheel on without using your foot to hold the wheel on.



Remember this? You can kiss this goodbye!!
I hated doing this every time I changed my wheels!




Step 8
Now install all of the nuts and snug them down hand tight.





Step 9
Once all nuts are installed and snugged down, remove your support and lower the jack slowly.



Step 10
Torque them down. I use 90 ft lbs.



Step 11
Repeat steps 1-11 for your other 3 wheels.

Step 12
Admire your new Macht Schnell stud kit!!









My Dog Loves Them!!





__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
NiVeDh's Avatar
United_States
205
Rep
8,010
Posts

Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Very good DIY. Great detail and nice pictures. I'm sure the stud kit is very convenient.

However, in your expert judgment, would you not agree that these seem less safe than regular lug bolts? As an engineer, a few things bother me about the stud kit.

I don't know if I trust how the studs are threaded into the hub - the efficacy of Loctite comes into question among other factors. Also, there are now more points where potential failure could occur. Do you think when you torque the nuts, it actually causes the studs to also torque down into the hub?

It's probably not a big deal for a street driver but you're renowned for your track experiences where the wheels will be experiencing different and oftentimes stronger forces, so just something to be wary about. I could be wrong but I don't really see these being stronger than lug bolts.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
forza1976
Brigadier General
forza1976's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
4,924
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 & 2015 M235
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [5.00]
2015 M235  [0.00]
I'm shocked these studs only require hand tight. my studs were required to be torqued to 50 ft/lbs before fitting the wheels and lugs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #4
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Very good DIY. Great detail and nice pictures. I'm sure the stud kit is very convenient.

However, in your expert judgment, would you not agree that these seem less safe than regular lug bolts? As an engineer, a few things bother me about the stud kit.

I don't know if I trust how the studs are threaded into the hub - the efficacy of Loctite comes into question among other factors. Also, there are now more points where potential failure could occur. Do you think when you torque the nuts, it actually causes the studs to also torque down into the hub?

It's probably not a big deal for a street driver but you're renowned for your track experiences where the wheels will be experiencing different and oftentimes stronger forces, so just something to be wary about. I could be wrong but I don't really see these being stronger than lug bolts.
I'm not saying that they are stronger. I am saying that they are jsut as strong. And, yes, I agree that when you are comparing tightening lugs at X amount of tourque and then comparing tightening down the nuts to X amount of torque, there is the same pressure between the hub and the nut/lug.

Another way to think about this is... take a lug and then screw it into the hub with no wheel installed. You'll find yourself screwing in the lug farther than if you had the wheel installed. How much torque is on the lug without a wheel installed? Probably about 0 (zero) ft lbs.
Once you involve pressure in between the hub and the lug, then this is what increases the 0 ft pounds to 90 ft pounds.
The same methodology goes with the studs/nuts.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #5
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
I'm shocked these studs only require hand tight. my studs were required to be torqued to 50 ft/lbs before fitting the wheels and lugs.
see post above but this is what I also said in your other post:

Yikes man! You are using an alan wrench to tighten those to 50 ft lbs?
Are you sure it wasn't 50 inch bls? lol

Here's a pdf from Turner that says to tighten the stud kit to 16 ft pounds.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/imag...structions.pdf

You know, I should edit my thread because people may think of "hand tight" as finger tight so I will make it clearer.
As you can see, I am using a socket wrench to snug them down and are probably around 16 ft pounds.

__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #6
forza1976
Brigadier General
forza1976's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
4,924
Posts

Drives: 2015 M4 & 2015 M235
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Denver

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2015 M4  [5.00]
2015 M235  [0.00]
See my post in your other thread, seems two separate approaches for keeping them tight.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
105
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Regarding the engineers comment, I'd like to offer my opinion: I think that studs and conventional lug nuts are superior to the factory lug bolts due to the effects of loading and stress concentration right at the point where the lug-bolt thread goes into the hub. Each time the wheels are changed, the load is cyclically applied to a different part of the lug-bolt thread as the bolts are torqued up. If the lug-bolt is exposed to loads close to its design limit, in my opinion it has a higher possibility of fatigue cracks and the potential failure of the lug-bolts. I'd be interested to know if people have experienced failure of lug-bolts in this way.

The disadvantage of the stud conversion I can see is the thread being more fully exposed to the water and corrosion. On the other hand it is possible to apply pentrating lubricant to the exposed thread if the lug-nuts ever seize onto the studs.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
NiVeDh
Major General
NiVeDh's Avatar
United_States
205
Rep
8,010
Posts

Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Houston, TX & Atlanta, GA

iTrader: (132)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Regarding the engineers comment, I'd like to offer my opinion: I think that studs and conventional lug nuts are superior to the factory lug bolts due to the effects of loading and stress concentration right at the point where the lug-bolt thread goes into the hub. Each time the wheels are changed, the load is cyclically applied to a different part of the lug-bolt thread as the bolts are torqued up. If the lug-bolt is exposed to loads close to its design limit, in my opinion it has a higher possibility of fatigue cracks and the potential failure of the lug-bolts. I'd be interested to know if people have experienced failure of lug-bolts in this way.

The disadvantage of the stud conversion I can see is the thread being more fully exposed to the water and corrosion. On the other hand it is possible to apply pentrating lubricant to the exposed thread if the lug-nuts ever seize onto the studs.

Don't you think the point where the stress is concentrated for the stud where it goes into the hub is more prone to failure than a lug-bolt which has the load applied in a somewhat more distributed fashion? I'd expect that fatigue cracks aren't nearly as lethal as the stud snapping/shearing off or loosening from the hub. I feel like too much is riding on the stud-to-hub interface (literally and figuratively). Maybe a real (mechanical) engineer can chime in (qualifier: I'm a nuclear engineer).
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 06:47 AM   #9
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
105
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiVeDh View Post
Don't you think the point where the stress is concentrated for the stud where it goes into the hub is more prone to failure than a lug-bolt which has the load applied in a somewhat more distributed fashion?
I agree there is a stress concentration where the plain section of the stud end and the threads start. Certainly thats a valid point. I am thinking more about aspects related to uneven loading on the lug-bolts, as I'd expect they will be loaded quite differently every time they are fitted. The studs are permenantly fixed and may not be subject to the same variations. I did a degree in mechanical engineering, but it dosen't qualify me to give an authoritative answer here.

Last edited by John_01; 08-15-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
roadkillrob
Brigadier General
United_States
142
Rep
4,282
Posts

Drives: 08 335i,16 X5 35i,12 C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (15)

Why are they 2 inches too long?
__________________
2008 E93 335i, MHD, HPF IC, Injen Intake, AR DPs, Xhp TCU Flash
2016 X5 M-sport 35i JB Stage 1
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG, ROW airboxes, power pipe, Eurocharged V6 Flame tune 540 HP
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:17 PM   #11
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
lpphreakx06's Avatar
Vietnam
203
Rep
7,572
Posts

Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (25)

HOly education dropping, honestly with the miles MR.5 probably puts on the street and on the track we'll see in no time how durable/safe it is.
__________________
Visit my blog anytime: http://www.sfpayments.com

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
lpphreakx06
Professional Moose Racer
lpphreakx06's Avatar
Vietnam
203
Rep
7,572
Posts

Drives: SG 335i E92 RIP + 2015 SS M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bellevue, Wa

iTrader: (25)

Srsly I love that dog.
__________________
Visit my blog anytime: http://www.sfpayments.com

BMW Dream Team PNW Chapter, member #1
|HP Autowerks | AR DESIGN | BMW PERFORMANCE | STOP TECH | Volk Racing| AMS | ARKYM
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 11:20 AM   #13
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpphreakx06 View Post
Srsly I love that dog.
Thanks man!
I love him too!
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #14
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I agree there is a stress concentration where the plain section of the stud end and the threads start. Certainly thats a valid point. I am thinking more about aspects related to uneven loading on the lug-bolts, as I'd expect they will be loaded quite differently every time they are fitted. The studs are permenantly fixed and may not be subject to the same variations. I did a degree in mechanical engineering, but it dosen't qualify me to give an authoritative answer here.
Alright, I just talked to the head Mechanical Engineer of my department and it's exactly as I thought.
Once the stud is installed and the nut is torqued over the wheel to X amount of torque, this will be EXACTLY the same as X amount of torque on a lug installed (and vice veersa). The stud will stretch the same as the lug which will create a tight lock on the wheel.

The only issue that came to his mind is removing the studs because there is the possibility that the stud will back out of the hole while removing the nut. But...This is what the loctite and torqe settings are for when installing the studs.
I have already taken my wheels off 2 times since I've installed the stud kit for tire changes and brake changes and have had no issues whatsoever with the studs backing out.
I hope this clears things up.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:02 AM   #15
John_01
Colonel
John_01's Avatar
Australia
105
Rep
2,480
Posts

Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Mr 5, Thanks for your DIY and following up techincal issues. Its appreciated!

I like the idea of stud conversion, but haven't quite found the motivation to do it yet. I'm still using the BMW security bolt on my wheels, so I'd need to find an alternative solution for security.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
EVO_S4
Colonel
EVO_S4's Avatar
64
Rep
2,205
Posts

Drives: 2015 WRX STI
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: TN

iTrader: (28)

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.12]
nice mods and very easy diy, using the RSD on my since it was about $50 cheaper
__________________
2013 Lexus RX350 F-Sport
2015 Subaru WRX STI
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #17
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Mr. 5's Avatar
Scotland
403
Rep
8,630
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Surf City, HB

iTrader: (31)

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
Mr 5, Thanks for your DIY and following up techincal issues. Its appreciated!

I like the idea of stud conversion, but haven't quite found the motivation to do it yet. I'm still using the BMW security bolt on my wheels, so I'd need to find an alternative solution for security.
No worries man!
The compliments keep on coming too.
People have come up to me saying, "Nice wheels. Oh wait, are those studs stock? Those looke really cool!"

Not exactly that but something of the sort.
__________________
e36 M3 Coupe, e36 325i Sedan
e90 335i--SOLD

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
scottp999
Brigadier General
84
Rep
4,765
Posts

Drives: 4runner SR5
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MD

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [4.50]
Mr5 - Love the wheels. I want them. What are the offsets and what size tires? I can read the rear tire, but not the fronts.

Thanks for the DIY!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #19
Tallest
Major General
Tallest's Avatar
No_Country
160
Rep
5,313
Posts

Drives: searching
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: ***

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
are these lug sets only used for people who swap rims often? It seems that if someone wanted to steel the rims, this would be the easiest way. I don't presume there are some security bolt like solution for people using stud kits?
__________________
'14 Black F11 530xd - NOW
'07 Silver E86 Z4 Coupe 3.0si - SOLD '16
'07 Blue E90 325i - SOLD '12
'06 Silver E90 320d - SOLD '10
'98 Blue E36 320i - SOLD '06
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
bavarianlover
Enlisted Member
Sweden
1
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: BMW 535D F10 -11
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Great job! How did you comlete the foglight delete on the m3-front?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:07 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST