E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > 1M coupe vs RS3



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
1M coupe vs RS3

Though BMW want to compared the 1M to the TT-RS probably it's closest competitor is Audi's new RS3, both are priced very closely with the Audi being that little bit better value for money based on standard kit.

So how do they stack up on spec.

HP : both have 340 but where as the BMW is reached at a low 5900rpm the Audi's peak power in over a wide 900rpm between 5400rpm and a higher 6300rpm.

Torque : both quote 450Nm but again it's the Audi with the wider rev band and higher peak, though BMW hit back with an extra 50Nm on overboost for a limited period.

Weight : 1495kg vs 1575kg in favour of the 1M, though in fairness the Audi has more standard kit, has an awd drivetrain and extra doors.

Acceleration to 100km/h : 4.6s vs 4.9s in favour of the Audi, the advantage of LC and DSG means the 1M will have to play catchup and if the figure recorded by Autobild for the DSG TT-RS are anything to go by (3.9s - 100km/h, 9.3s -160km/h & 14.9s - 200km/h) then the 1M will have it's work cutout for it.

Roll on the comparison tests.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,293
iTrader: (0)

Waiting for reviews to measure the fun factor--the most important variable.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Though BMW want to compared the 1M to the TT-RS probably it's closest competitor is Audi's new RS3, both are priced very closely with the Audi being that little bit better value for money based on standard kit.

So how do they stack up on spec.

HP : both have 340 but where as the BMW is reached at a low 5900rpm the Audi's peak power in over a wide 900rpm between 5400rpm and a higher 6300rpm.

Torque : both quote 450Nm but again it's the Audi with the wider rev band and higher peak, though BMW hit back with an extra 50Nm on overboost for a limited period.

Weight : 1495kg vs 1575kg in favour of the 1M, though in fairness the Audi has more standard kit, has an awd drivetrain and extra doors.

Acceleration to 100km/h : 4.6s vs 4.9s in favour of the Audi, the advantage of LC and DSG means the 1M will have to play catchup and if the figure recorded by Autobild for the DSG TT-RS are anything to go by (3.9s - 100km/h, 9.3s -160km/h & 14.9s - 200km/h) then the 1M will have it's work cutout for it.

Roll on the comparison tests.
Raw figures aren't everything. Based on stats like these the RS5 and the IS-F should have been quicker than the E92 M3.

We'll have to wait for the comparo's, I'm afraid.
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Raw figures aren't everything. Based on stats like these the RS5 and the IS-F should have been quicker than the E92 M3.

We'll have to wait for the comparo's, I'm afraid.
Well the weight was the biggest issue with the RS5, not to take anything away from the M3 but if it had have been only 80kgs heavier then I doubt the M3 would have been quicker in any review/comparison test.

You also have to consider when discussing the RS3 and 1M that one car has any extra gear to play with and doesn't run out of puff as soon, plus has a wider torque band which also runs higher up the rev range, the 1M will need it work it's overboost hard to beat it.

But you are right to say that stats are only one side and how they feel is important, it's here that I think the 1M will entertain the most and be the obvious choice to take to the track but off it and in daily life I reckon the RS3 will be a hard act to follow.

Best bet is to get both.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #5
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

Posts: 3,301
iTrader: (0)

Hard choice even for a BMW die-hard-fan. For me the 1M hands down, but it seems M GmbH forgot to put an engine.
Levi is offline   Czech_Republic
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #6
Raine
Captain
 
Raine's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 E82, '04 E60
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 843
iTrader: (3)

One is a hatchback, the other is a coupe.
Raine is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
Boost Gomez
Colonel
 
Boost Gomez's Avatar
 
Drives: C63 AMG
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Miami

Posts: 2,367
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Footie, always weighting his posts ever so slightly in favor of Audi.
__________________
Boost Gomez is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
^ I agree because that is where my heart lays. But I can fully appreciate the engineering that BMW are capable of and the truly exceptional cars that they product.

I will tell you this, if the 1M had been available at the time I bought my M3 then it would have got the nod instead.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
 
DougLikesBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, Texas

Posts: 2,661
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
^ I agree because that is where my heart lays. But I can fully appreciate the engineering that BMW are capable of and the truly exceptional cars that they product.

I will tell you this, if the 1M had been available at the time I bought my M3 then it would have got the nod instead.
Why? BMW is better.
DougLikesBMW is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 05:19 AM   #10
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougLikesBMW View Post
Why? BMW is better.
That is your opinion and I respect that. Though we all don't have to agree on everything which is why there is as many competitors as there is. There are elements of each brand that appeal to me and others that don't but for my at least it's Audi that gets more of the things that appeal to me right than anyone else.

That said the 1M is an M car that is ticking more boxes than any other.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
Echo M3
Major
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 1,431
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Well the weight was the biggest issue with the RS5, not to take anything away from the M3 but if it had have been only 80kgs heavier then I doubt the M3 would have been quicker in any review/comparison test.

You also have to consider when discussing the RS3 and 1M that one car has any extra gear to play with and doesn't run out of puff as soon, plus has a wider torque band which also runs higher up the rev range, the 1M will need it work it's overboost hard to beat it.

But you are right to say that stats are only one side and how they feel is important, it's here that I think the 1M will entertain the most and be the obvious choice to take to the track but off it and in daily life I reckon the RS3 will be a hard act to follow.

Best bet is to get both.
I think overall, you are correct. However, there is a significant weight difference between the RS3 and the 1M. What I think will hurt the 1M is not the engine characteristics (it's not THAT different from the RS3), but the lack of a DCT tranny. The RS3 will likely be quicker off the line with quattro, and will probably be faster or just as quick up to 160 kph.

I'm not convinced the RS3 will be quicker on track, though. M cars have a knack for 'outperforming their figures' when on a track.
Echo M3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I think overall, you are correct. However, there is a significant weight difference between the RS3 and the 1M. What I think will hurt the 1M is not the engine characteristics (it's not THAT different from the RS3), but the lack of a DCT tranny. The RS3 will likely be quicker off the line with quattro, and will probably be faster or just as quick up to 160 kph.

I'm not convinced the RS3 will be quicker on track, though. M cars have a knack for 'outperforming their figures' when on a track.
I think some people are over estimating what the 1M will be capable of or possible under estimating how good the RS3 might be. You need look no further than the 135i (306ps) coupe versus the S3 (265ps), similar weight but a 40hp advantage for the BMW.

Here's the lap times.

Hockenheim Short: 1:17.50 vs 1:17.40
Autozeitung test track: 1:45.10 vs 1:46.90
Balocco: 3:01.19 vs 3:01.24
Nurburgring GP: 1:50.04 vs 1:50.21
Kyalami: 2:09.10 vs 2:08.80
Ring Knutstrop (Conf 2): 1:17.60 vs 1:17.20
Inta Long (Conf 2): 1:28.56 vs 1:30.55

The 135i is in bold and as you can see it has no advantage on the less powerful S3 so I doubt an equally powered RS3 with DSG and a more advanced awd system will be behind either.

Let's say that both cars will perform better than expected against the rest of the competition.

P.S.
Please don't look at the 135i time around the Nurburgring and think the the 1M is 27 seconds quicker as these two sets of data have differences, major differences. Lap times achieved by manufacturers are completely different to those achieved by magazines like Sportauto, look no further than the GTR, the 997.2turbo, the RS4, all cars that in the hands of manufacturers were 9+ seconds quicker. Add a similar amount to the 1M and you end up at 8:21, still a brilliant time but just not headline grabbing.

Last edited by footie; 12-13-2010 at 05:19 PM.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #13
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,351
iTrader: (0)

^^^

Thanks for those numbers Footie. I have never really looked at S3 v 135i track times. Interesting. Based on those numbers it seems the RS3 may be a VERY good rival to the 1M.
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
^^^

Thanks for those numbers Footie. I have never really looked at S3 v 135i track times. Interesting. Based on those numbers it seems the RS3 may be a VERY good rival to the 1M.
Correct, I think too many dismiss the A3 because of it's underpinnings but the fact is that the Golf platform is a bloody good one.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #15
dirtyylicous
Swagger on a trillion
 
dirtyylicous's Avatar
 
Drives: IS300
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: CT

Posts: 370
iTrader: (0)

Although i dont like hatchbacks at all the RS3 is def a looker, the 1 has always been doofy looking to me. Performance wise the M will probably be a little better
dirtyylicous is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #16
hks786
Major General
 
Drives: *
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 5,351
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Correct, I think too many dismiss the A3 because of it's underpinnings but the fact is that the Golf platform is a bloody good one.
It is easy to dismiss because it is an old platform and has been around for a long time. However, to me the A3 (3 door especially) is a brilliant looking hatch and even looks better than most modern hatches.

I dont care much for the VW arguments because you can also argue Lamborghini /Porsche
__________________
hks786 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #17
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hks786 View Post
It is easy to dismiss because it is an old platform and has been around for a long time. However, to me the A3 (3 door especially) is a brilliant looking hatch and even looks better than most modern hatches.

I dont care much for the VW arguments because you can also argue Lamborghini /Porsche
The platform may beold but it's not as if it's standing still, the development work done on the RS3 was bang up to date and this will be proven in it's ability.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
I should have said with my earlier post but better than never. Anyway, the Golf R as capable of lapping the N-ring in 8:23, a huge 1 second slower than the E46 M3 did with only 265hp, a time I might add that beat the TT-S by 6 seconds. Now I can tell you that the RS3 has moved the game on from that of the Golf R and when you add another 75hp and DSG then expect a seriously quick time.

Audi mean business.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2010, 05:41 PM   #19
graider
Colonel
 
graider's Avatar
 
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: toronto

Posts: 2,408
iTrader: (0)

what will the rs3 looks like?
graider is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #20
OlagŁe
Brigadier General
 
OlagŁe's Avatar
 
Drives: 333i e92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York City

Posts: 4,245
iTrader: (0)

1M power!
OlagŁe is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #21
klipseracer
Banned
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i, 05 E46 330i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arizona

Posts: 3,012
iTrader: (27)

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
2005 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via MSN to klipseracer
Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Correct, I think too many dismiss the A3 because of it's underpinnings but the fact is that the Golf platform is a bloody good one.
I like footie. Respectful. Its appreciated, I believe in speaking up for your favorite brand, however some people take their high school mascot chants too far.
klipseracer is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #22
footie
Major General
 
footie's Avatar
 
Drives: ????????????
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: BMW M3 will get a V6TT

Posts: 7,507
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
If you look at how many truly brilliant driver's cars occupy this price bracket ethusiasts have a positive feast in store for them.

And the soon to be recent additions of the RS3 and 1M only add to the excitement and dismay of their competitors, the fact that rumour has it that Mercedes are readying their own AMG of the new A-class with similar performance and price means that the next few years will be very interest.

Yeah I really like the RS3, no doubting this fact but I also like the idea of the 1M too, it should be a great addition to the M stable. Unlike the 335i and M3 which has so many different parts that make it's experience so unique I think everyone is waiting to see for themselves if M-Division have pulled off another minor miracle with even less work to do than usual.
footie is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST