E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Journal: N54 Total Engine Rebuild & Upgraded Internals



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #133
NTTY
Private First Class
 
NTTY's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i (E82)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post

The gearbox software was rewritten by ZF themselves and an engine tuner in Germany. Unfortunately it's not a commercially available software revision as it was done as a one-off as part of an exchange of services
Argh, too bad for me, but thank you for the information!

I recently went to BMW for the software upgrade (including gearbox), and it changed it a lot. Upshiftings are faster than before, so I guess previous software was not using full potential of the gearbox.

As I am using my car several times a year on a track, and I'd like to do what has to be done to preserve reliability. From the contacts I have at ZF, they told me the software should be rewritten to handle more than 450Nm of torque. As of today, I decided not to tune the engine because I've not found anyone capable to tune the gearbox as well, but now I'd like to have a bit more HP not to see these GT3 overtaking me But if I need and want more HP, I obviously need to do something about the gearbox. Unfortunately, none of the tuners I contacted propose something for the gearbox
__________________
NTTY
NTTY is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #134
dzenno
Banned
 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

Posts: 5,884
iTrader: (1)

6MT FTW!
dzenno is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 09:41 AM   #135
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I don't want to run 18psi, that's the thing. I'm not bothered about peak power or running the engine to its limits - just want to run a nice safe 500bhp (flywheel)

I can get the ZF software done for you, but it will cost a lot...! About 3000 Euros probably for ZFs labour time
3000! No thanks

I doubt though you will reach 500 bhp on 16 psi pump gas .
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #136
pixelblue
Colonel
 
pixelblue's Avatar
 
Drives: the silver bullet
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: northern virginia

Posts: 2,235
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 135i  [4.37]
fantastic thread. thanks! quick question, any potential benefits/issues if the pcv vapors are redirected from the intake tract to possibly the exhaust or atmosphere? much obliged
__________________
"I would quote everything pixelblue said, but you've already read it. Take it from someone who's put the 1 through its paces"
pixelblue is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #137
NTTY
Private First Class
 
NTTY's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i (E82)
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Switzerland

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
I don't want to run 18psi, that's the thing. I'm not bothered about peak power or running the engine to its limits - just want to run a nice safe 500bhp (flywheel)

I can get the ZF software done for you, but it will cost a lot...! About 3000 Euros probably for ZFs labour time
Is there a possibility to get the Alpina flash (the one they use on their 400HP and 540Nm version of the N54)? Would it avoid the terrible cost of having it done by ZF?

Thank you!
__________________
NTTY
NTTY is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #138
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Im curious to see if anyone has been using Shell Synthetic oils...ive been using them in my own cars and customers cars (some of which are driven hard) and every 5k the oil comes out clean (compared to the factory oil which is usually black and watery at that time).

Motul would be nice to use but its damn expensive for a street driven car lol...
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #139
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
fantastic thread. thanks! quick question, any potential benefits/issues if the pcv vapors are redirected from the intake tract to possibly the exhaust or atmosphere? much obliged
This is what a catch can is for. It routes the vapors out of the valve cover and into the can, letting the mist filter and collect before returning clean air into the rear turbo inlet pipe.

Get one if you already havent! Its one of the best things you can do for your engine. IMO the BSH one is the best out there.
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:59 AM   #140
Sal G@Camber-Toe
 
Sal G@Camber-Toe's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335xi sg,6mt,navi,hs
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 14,191
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
This is what a catch can is for. It routes the vapors out of the valve cover and into the can, letting the mist filter and collect before returning clean air into the rear turbo inlet pipe.

Get one if you already havent! Its one of the best things you can do for your engine. IMO the BSH one is the best out there.
I love mine!
Sal G@Camber-Toe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 11:06 AM   #141
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
 
JB135MDCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 960
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Im curious to see if anyone has been using Shell Synthetic oils...ive been using them in my own cars and customers cars (some of which are driven hard) and every 5k the oil comes out clean (compared to the factory oil which is usually black and watery at that time).

Motul would be nice to use but its damn expensive for a street driven car lol...
Clean oil after 5k miles, I find this hard to believe. Where do you get shell oils and what type are you using?
JB135MDCT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #142
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Penn999's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2010
Location: VA

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
Im curious to see if anyone has been using Shell Synthetic oils...ive been using them in my own cars and customers cars (some of which are driven hard) and every 5k the oil comes out clean (compared to the factory oil which is usually black and watery at that time).

Motul would be nice to use but its damn expensive for a street driven car lol...
Just made the switch and Im stickin to it. Yes it was expensive but I will be taking the car to the track in the summer so I want the best of both worlds. I even need a whole extra quart bc of my 2nd oil cooler....its high yes, but I think im worth it.
__________________
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Penn999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #143
E39hijinks
EUROFTW
 
Drives: E30 E36 E46
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 187
iTrader: (0)

Dirty oil means the oil is working.
E39hijinks is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 02:17 PM   #144
itsbrokeagain
 
itsbrokeagain's Avatar
 
Drives: E28 535, 1996 Dodge Ram Diesel
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Valley Stream, NY

Posts: 15,737
iTrader: (7)

Send a message via AIM to itsbrokeagain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
Clean oil after 5k miles, I find this hard to believe. Where do you get shell oils and what type are you using?
i didnt say it was clean as like right out of the bottle, im saying its clean like i can kinda still see through it if you put a light behind it while its draining. BMW no matter what is dark and black, and cant see crap after 5k miles. Ive also noticed that there is less buildup and gunk under the oil cap compared to an engine using straight OEM oils (I used to work for the dealer and changed my oil every 5k miles in my 335 and I still had brown gunk starting to build up in the head, and my car was stock)

Formula Shell Synthetic 5w-30. People who know more about oil might find some info in here to compare it to?

http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...cants/1-37.pdf
__________________
AUTOCouture Motoring: Handling reflector installs to turbo upgrades and superchargers, and everything in between
15-01 Pollitt Drive, Fairlawn NJ 201-666-3500

<-Official Vehicle Transport for AUTOCouture

Last edited by itsbrokeagain; 12-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
itsbrokeagain is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 02:37 PM   #145
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn999 View Post
Just made the switch and Im stickin to it. Yes it was expensive but I will be taking the car to the track in the summer so I want the best of both worlds. I even need a whole extra quart bc of my 2nd oil cooler....its high yes, but I think im worth it.
Motul 300V 5w40?
__________________


'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
m6pwr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 03:43 PM   #146
folgrz
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E46 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Long Island,NY

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

I dont think 300v would be necessary for a street driven car.
folgrz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #147
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTY View Post
Is there a possibility to get the Alpina flash (the one they use on their 400HP and 540Nm version of the N54)? Would it avoid the terrible cost of having it done by ZF?

Thank you!

There's no possibility of getting the Alpina software directly. You can't even grab it from an Alpina ECU as it's very encrypted
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 03:44 PM   #148
E92Fan
Moderator
 
E92Fan's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

Posts: 5,492
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Motul 300V 5w40?
Quote:
Originally Posted by folgrz View Post
I dont think 300v would be necessary for a street driven car.
Very VERY good oil though
E92Fan is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #149
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Very VERY good oil though
Yes, I have heard (on BITOG) of folks running it in their street-driven cars, even for oil change intervals of as long as 10k miles (its got lots of detergent adds). Its really a pretty versatile oil. Being anal about oil, I just did a virgin oil analysis on a sample of the current 300V 5w40 and was pleasantly surprised to find its got a relatively modest API SL level of zddp - - it would be cat friendly, I think. But for anyone worried about warranty fights, its not API rated nor BMW LL-01 approved.
__________________


'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
m6pwr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 04:57 PM   #150
folgrz
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: AW E46 ZCP
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Long Island,NY

Posts: 230
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Very VERY good oil though
Yes it definitely is!! But for a street driven car the 8100 series should be sufficient enough. I've ran motul in all of my previous vehicles. Great stuff!
folgrz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #151
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
 
JB135MDCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 960
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe View Post
i didnt say it was clean as like right out of the bottle, im saying its clean like i can kinda still see through it if you put a light behind it while its draining. BMW no matter what is dark and black, and cant see crap after 5k miles. Ive also noticed that there is less buildup and gunk under the oil cap compared to an engine using straight OEM oils (I used to work for the dealer and changed my oil every 5k miles in my 335 and I still had brown gunk starting to build up in the head, and my car was stock)

Formula Shell Synthetic 5w-30. People who know more about oil might find some info in here to compare it to?

http://www-static.shell.com/static/c...cants/1-37.pdf
I have similar experience switching from mobile to castrol for a cleaner head but you are right, it gets pitch black really fast. Nice test with the light, I will try it with the oil from my previous change.

I like the oil cap test, the other thing to look at is the return line for head fumes. How does it look on your car? I found the Ferrari Pennzoil ( which is owned by Shell ), perhaps it is equivalent?

Last edited by JB135MDCT; 12-29-2010 at 10:05 PM.
JB135MDCT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #152
m6pwr
First Lieutenant
 
m6pwr's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i M sport
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 342
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB135MDCT View Post
I have similar experience switching from mobile to castrol for a cleaner head but you are right, it gets pitch black really fast. Nice test with the light, I will try it with the oil from my previous change.

I like the oil cap test, the other thing to look at is the return line for head fumes. How does it look on your car? I found the Ferrari Pennzoil ( which is owned by Shell ), perhaps it is equivalent?
Maybe not. According to a Shell website (www.epc.shell.com), the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the Formula Shell 5w30 shows it is a Grp III base stock (hydrotreated petroleum) which doesn't perform under high heat/high shear as well as PAO Grp IV base stock which is what Pennzoil Ultra is. If you can't remember the name, look on the bottle for a little picture of the Ferrari emblem (the Scute), you know, the picture of the rearing black stallion. That is the Ferrari Pennzoil. The "Euro" version is 5w40 viscosity and is currently available only at Ferrai dealerships or by online order from Pennzoil (www.pennzoil.com). Here's an article on the oil -
http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/enrg/8580.
__________________


'14 328d, '13 M3 ZCP, '12 535i, '11 335d, '09 Z4 DINAN Stage II, '05 330i ZHP, '05 M3 ZCP, '02 M3, '91 328i, '90 535i, '88 528e, '88 M5, '87 M6, '95 Z3, 95 M3, '93 M5, '87 325e, '89 535i, '86 635i, '73 Bavaria.
m6pwr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 10:53 PM   #153
JB135MDCT
I'm just a cook
 
JB135MDCT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MD

Posts: 960
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Maybe not. According to a Shell website (www.epc.shell.com), the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for the Formula Shell 5w30 shows it is a Grp III base stock (hydrotreated petroleum) which doesn't perform under high heat/high shear as well as PAO Grp IV base stock which is what Pennzoil Ultra is. If you can't remember the name, look on the bottle for a little picture of the Ferrari emblem (the Scute), you know, the picture of the rearing black stallion. That is the Ferrari Pennzoil. The "Euro" version is 5w40 viscosity and is currently available only at Ferrai dealerships or by online order from Pennzoil (www.pennzoil.com). Here's an article on the oil -
http://www.sae.org/mags/aei/enrg/8580.
Question is will this one clean as well as the Shell oil you are using: http://oilstore.stores.yahoo.net/peuleu5wfusy.html
JB135MDCT is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #154
Penn999
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Penn999's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i coupe
Join Date: May 2010
Location: VA

Posts: 1,663
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m6pwr View Post
Motul 300V 5w40?
300v 5w30 is what I got this time, I am going to try 0w30 until winter months subside then I will try 5w40 when the temps start to rise. I wanna play around with it to find whats right for may exact setup. The cost really isnt that bad if you buy in bulk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folgrz View Post
I dont think 300v would be necessary for a street driven car.
Well thats what im doing...whether you deem it necessary or not. It will be my dd until I get another car and then I plan to get hpf stage 2 when it comes out and turn it into my track car. Motul has been run in all kinds of cars and it has had a great track record; I guess it depends on how you drive and what you are asking of the car.
__________________
07' MT, Quaife LSD, BMW Performance LED Steering Wheel, HPF FMIC, AA BOV, HPF Exhaust, DCI, Procede V5, AR Stage 1 oil cooler, AR OCC, AR CL DP's, Vishnu Meth Kit, UUC SSK+DSSR, UUC Shift knob, (19 inch)VMR V715's/Yokohama Advan AD08's, Hartge Pedals and Floor Mats. Awaiting Install: M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, Full M3 suspension bits, AST 4100's, DSS axles. Future plans: Vishnu Single turbo kit
Penn999 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
carbon, cylinder head, engine, intake, n54, n54 engine, piston, rebuild, valve

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST