E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Can i get the power back?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #1
rhodesman
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)

Can i get the power back?

Bmw is forcing my hand into getting the software update. No matter how much i scream and cry that here is nothing wrong with my car so leave it be. Anyways my service advisor is being awesome and trying to keep them from doing the update but its beyond him sadly.

So my question is, can i get the power back by doing a chip upgrade? If i get Something like a dinan chip flash or the hardwire chip override? My car is stock and i dont intend on doing any real mods, i just want the power i have been enjoying since i got the car.
__________________
<Insert signature here>
rhodesman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
aus
Major General
 
Drives: Odysse
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seal Beach, CA

Posts: 7,241
iTrader: (5)

I was just forced to get the update too. Definitely a drop off in low end torque, but the power delivery is smoother than before.
There's suppose to be a patch, but it seems to have mixed reviews in how well it actually works. It seems to be better than it is now, but not like it was before.
I may ask for it if I can find an SIB to show the dealer. They don't know much about these things.
__________________
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
aus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Bmw is forcing my hand into getting the software update. No matter how much i scream and cry that here is nothing wrong with my car so leave it be. Anyways my service advisor is being awesome and trying to keep them from doing the update but its beyond him sadly.

So my question is, can i get the power back by doing a chip upgrade? If i get Something like a dinan chip flash or the hardwire chip override? My car is stock and i dont intend on doing any real mods, i just want the power i have been enjoying since i got the car.
First of all, how are they forcing your hand??? Secondly, I've had it done and there is ZERO change. You have obviously been reading too many posts and only believing the one s that you want to believe. Many people have posted that there is absolutely no change in performance. If for any weird reason your car was affected just take it back.....simple.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #4
rhodesman
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
First of all, how are they forcing your hand??? Secondly, I've had it done and there is ZERO change. You have obviously been reading too many posts and only believing the one s that you want to believe. Many people have posted that there is absolutely no change in performance. If for any weird reason your car was affected just take it back.....simple.
They are forcing my hand in that if i want the new brakes my car needs, they will do the software update.

You are the first person i have read who has said there is no difference with the software update.

And in 58,000 miles i have never had a single issue with the hpfp on my car but they are replacing it anyways. Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean if it breaks, sure ill have them fix it and i know im probably a minority but i find it odd that i can save them money and yet they are requireing me to do these updates anyways.

But regardless of these issues, but real question is will something like dinan or jb3 override these software updates that Bmw is doing on our cars?
__________________
<Insert signature here>
rhodesman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #5
jaybird124
Captain
 
jaybird124's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 335d Sport
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida

Posts: 836
iTrader: (0)

__________________
'09 335d Alpine White/Beige Dakota, Sport, Premium, Cold Weather, iDrive, PDC, CA, iPod, Premium Sound

Retired: '93 325i |'99 Jeep Wrangler Sport |'06 330i Sport |'08 335i Sport |'08 328i Sport
jaybird124 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
Forcefed3
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
I hope I dont get the update tomorrow...
Forcefed3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
They are forcing my hand in that if i want the new brakes my car needs, they will do the software update.

You are the first person i have read who has said there is no difference with the software update.

And in 58,000 miles i have never had a single issue with the hpfp on my car but they are replacing it anyways. Why fix something that isn't broken? I mean if it breaks, sure ill have them fix it and i know im probably a minority but i find it odd that i can save them money and yet they are requireing me to do these updates anyways.

But regardless of these issues, but real question is will something like dinan or jb3 override these software updates that Bmw is doing on our cars?
Read. post titled "Brought my car in for service-Recall". The HPFP situation has been deemed a safety issue so the MUST replace it. They are doing all of them. Why not do it now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere ina snow storm? Dinan etc will do what Dinan says it will do. Software update will not change anything. If it does, take it back. Simple.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 11:29 AM   #8
rhodesman
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
Read. post titled "Brought my car in for service-Recall". The HPFP situation has been deemed a safety issue so the MUST replace it. They are doing all of them. Why not do it now instead of waiting to be stranded somewhere ina snow storm? Dinan etc will do what Dinan says it will do. Software update will not change anything. If it does, take it back. Simple.
I sae that and was reading it as I posted this thread. I actually just got my car back and the SA said they deemed my car not worthy of any updates seeing how the track record has been spotless. So no software, no new HPFP and the injectors are the same.

So back to my original question which seems to have been lost: will a chip override any downgrade in power due to a BMW ecu update. My thought is yes, but I wanted to confirm. =)
__________________
<Insert signature here>
rhodesman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 12:11 PM   #9
I335
Brigadier General
 
I335's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New England

Posts: 4,251
iTrader: (11)

I didn't notice any power loss either. In fact, I thought I felt a bit more power after the update. I wouldn't worry about it so much. Go get it done and if you feel a loss of power then start looking into remedies. I think the power loss is in everyone's heads...
I335 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 12:15 PM   #10
seej333
First Lieutenant
 
seej333's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i E92
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle

Posts: 390
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 335i  [3.00]
Of course you'll get the power back with a flash...and some.

(?)
__________________
_______________________
| Dinan Stage 2 | KW V2 | VMR V710 | M3 Bumper Rep |
seej333 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
B3AST
Captain
 
B3AST's Avatar
 
Drives: with a huge grin (E90)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Houston, TX

Posts: 635
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I sae that and was reading it as I posted this thread. I actually just got my car back and the SA said they deemed my car not worthy of any updates seeing how the track record has been spotless. So no software, no new HPFP and the injectors are the same.

So back to my original question which seems to have been lost: will a chip override any downgrade in power due to a BMW ecu update. My thought is yes, but I wanted to confirm. =)
An ECU tune is not designed to 'override' anything per say. It's used to recalibrate and 'tune' an engine to different specifications. The ECU tune will boost your psi and remap fuel paths to adjust accordingly. You WILL get quite a bit of power from an ECU tune and won't even remember this whole 'updated ecu/power loss' drama. Just be forewarned that doing these types of ECU tunes can and will subject your car to stress not originally analyzed by BMW engineers, therefore problems can occur (blown turbos, etc). These problems are subjectable and debatable yes, but I've seen first hand what an ECU tune can do to a turbo. Either way I would still get another one as the gains far outweigh the risks. Good luck with whatever you do!

Check out http://www.burgertuning.com/products.html
Their JB2 is a nice little plug and play option that gets just a little bit more performance out of your car without going overboard, and for $99 you can't beat it!
__________________
"All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns."
-Bruce Lee
B3AST is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 06:40 PM   #12
Verbatim
Colonel
 
Verbatim's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: at the repair shop

Posts: 2,555
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [5.00]
There's no power loss. Just do it, if you feel power loss, then you're imagining it. Same thing goes for people saying that got increased power from the update, its in your head.
__________________

2008 BMW 335i Sedan | Sparkling Graphite | Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access | Logic7
Golf Tee | M3 Spoiler | LED Angel Eyes | 5000k Fogs | Resonator Delete | Black Kidney Grills | Black Finisher Rods | 35%/18% Tint |12mm/20mm (F/R) Spacers | Black Lines


Verbatim is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #13
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
First of all, how are they forcing your hand??? Secondly, I've had it done and there is ZERO change. You have obviously been reading too many posts and only believing the one s that you want to believe. Many people have posted that there is absolutely no change in performance. If for any weird reason your car was affected just take it back.....simple.
I've had it done and there is absolutely no difference, none perceptible at least.

Just get it done, stop wanking over internet posts. jeez.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
ScaredOnce
Very Important
 
ScaredOnce's Avatar
 
Drives: 335xi (e92)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: PIT

Posts: 450
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird124 View Post
ScaredOnce is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #15
corb
Private First Class
 
corb's Avatar
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: California

Posts: 186
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Why fix something that isn't broken?
it's broken. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when

Now I did notice a difference, however it was in the way the car acted in the cold.

Related: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=472303
__________________
corb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-04-2011, 10:18 PM   #16
hipnotic
Major General
 
hipnotic's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Cal

Posts: 6,555
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
good luck
hipnotic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2011, 09:25 AM   #17
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
I sae that and was reading it as I posted this thread. I actually just got my car back and the SA said they deemed my car not worthy of any updates seeing how the track record has been spotless. So no software, no new HPFP and the injectors are the same.

So back to my original question which seems to have been lost: will a chip override any downgrade in power due to a BMW ecu update. My thought is yes, but I wanted to confirm. =)
Your question has not been lost......there is no power loss so ....? Dinan will increase hp and torque to about 375 each I believe. This is ridiculous.
.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #18
rhodesman
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 189
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaker View Post
This is ridiculous.
.
Alright I get it. Internet: 1 Me: 0

So hows all that snow up in Canada?
__________________
<Insert signature here>
rhodesman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
335BBS
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 3,607
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesman View Post
Alright I get it. Internet: 1 Me: 0

So hows all that snow up in Canada?
Don't have much. Cold & sunny today. Wish I got my car from Budds BMW....they are a Dinan dealer and I would have jumped all over it.
335BBS is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST