E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 335i no heat.

03-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #1
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri

E92 335i no heat.

My heat stopped working this morning. All I got is heated seats. When I put my heat full blast nothing happens?
Need some input, maybe a fuse or do I need to replace the motor?
Thanks for any input received.
Briancanadiano is offline   Canada
      03-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #2
DJtoad
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briancanadiano View Post
My heat stopped working this morning. All I got is heated seats. When I put my heat full blast nothing happens?
Need some input, maybe a fuse or do I need to replace the motor?
Thanks for any input received.
Are you sure your waterpump is working OK? Is your radiator fan blowing full blast?
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 Stage 3, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
      03-16-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Are you sure your waterpump is working OK? Is your radiator fan blowing full blast?

The fan does not work at all. The light comes on all the way but the fan does not work at all. No air comes through the vents just the light comes on.. What would that half to do with the waterpump? Isn't the water pump related to cooling down the engine?

Last edited by Briancanadiano; 03-16-2014 at 10:16 AM.
      03-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Anybody?
      03-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
DJtoad
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Quote:
The fan does not work at all. The light comes on all the way but the fan does not work at all. No air comes through the vents just the light comes on.. What would that half to do with the waterpump? Isn't the water pump related to cooling down the engine?
You weren't exactly clear in your original post. You said the heat stopped working, not that the blower fan wasn't working. A sudden lack of heat through the vents can be caused by a failing water pump. In your case, if no fuses are blown, the motor/fan is probably just jammed with debris a bearing is seizing. It's easy to get to the motor to check and simply clearing the debris or lubing the bearings is often enough to get it working again. Google it -- lots of posts with instructions / pics.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 Stage 3, BMS DCIs, BMS OCC, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
      03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
blackturbo
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

I think the op is talking about the interior.
Im assuming that he is describing the fan control. All lights, radio, seat heaters work. When he turns the interior fan on no air is coming out, but the fan controls are working and lit up

If this is the case, check your fuse first for the fan. If your fuse is good I am certain your blower motor is out. There is a diy in this forum and luckily its a simple procedure.

Hope I was able to help you
good luck sir
blackturbo is offline   Canada
      03-16-2014, 08:48 PM   #7
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackturbo View Post
I think the op is talking about the interior.
Im assuming that he is describing the fan control. All lights, radio, seat heaters work. When he turns the interior fan on no air is coming out, but the fan controls are working and lit up

If this is the case, check your fuse first for the fan. If your fuse is good I am certain your blower motor is out. There is a diy in this forum and luckily its a simple procedure.

Hope I was able to help you
good luck sir
Hey thanks for the help and ya it's inside the car my actual heat doesn't blow air hot or cold. It lights up and everything else works and lights up exept for the air, nothing comes through the vents, where are the blower fan fuses?
      03-16-2014, 11:51 PM   #8
blackturbo
Second Lieutenant

Go into your glove compartment and reach for your fuse diagram.
If my memory serves me right I believe it may be a 30amp fuse, green.

If its cold out in your local area and your windows will fog up easily, I suggest you resolve this asap. Driving in the cold without heat and foggy windows is a recipe for disaster. Its unfortunate this hiccup of a problem didnt occur in the sunny weather.
      03-17-2014, 07:21 AM   #9
SanquintinB
Private First Class

Drives: My feet!

Quote:

If its cold out in your local area and your windows will fog up easily, I suggest you resolve this asap. Driving in the cold without heat and foggy windows is a recipe for disaster. Its unfortunate this hiccup of a problem didnt occur in the sunny weather.
Well depends on where you live haha, I'm in Orlando. My blower went out one time in my old Honda Accord and thankfully it went out in early February. Because by March, it's high 80's and you need AC haha. But in February the coldest you get here is a couple nights in the 30's, 40's. But mostly it's like, Hi of high 60's. Lo of mid-low 50's.
      03-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #10
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:

Well I'm in Toronto. Here it's been -10c for a couple days now so it's pretty darn cold. So what number is the fuse/fuses are related to the heater/blower motor?
      03-17-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
blackturbo
Second Lieutenant

First locate your fuse diagram. Open your glove box.
On the diagram locate the fan icon. Number 67. The green 30amp fuse.
Find a identical fuse and switch for testing.
If your answer is the dead fuse congrats.
If all fuses are not blown then your blower motor is out

You can order the part online or at your local indy shop, do some research to save money.
You can find a diy online, or a video on YouTube. Part alone is in the low 100, 120ish.
      03-17-2014, 01:16 PM   #12
blackturbo
Second Lieutenant

If your not too mechanically savy, perhaps a member on this forum in your local area can help you? Worst comes to worst a reputable indy shop my charge 300 to 350 for the job. Search around if your not capable of the work. I highly recommend searching YouTube for the video for a descriptive visual on how to do it yourself to save some money for your honey.
      03-23-2014, 09:36 AM   #13
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
If your not too mechanically savy, perhaps a member on this forum in your local area can help you? Worst comes to worst a reputable indy shop my charge 300 to 350 for the job. Search around if your not capable of the work. I highly recommend searching YouTube for the video for a descriptive visual on how to do it yourself to save some money for your honey.
Thanks for the reply black turbo. For some reason there is no diagram in the glove box where the fuses are. Mines is a 2007 335i coupe.
Is it ok to take out and put in fuses with the car running/battery connected?
I have no clue which fuse is for what... Any help? I have no fuse diagram in my car... Thanks
      03-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #14
weareweird69
Private

Drives: 06 330XI

I don't have my car handy to check the fuses. But if you press defrost does the fan work?
      03-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #15
PasionM

Drives: 2007 335i E92

If your fan doesn't work most likely a bad blower motor. Take it out and maybe just tap on it and sometimes it can come back to life. Fan Motor under the glove box area. It only takes like 1hr to replace if that.
      03-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #16
Greyfox
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Okay, first do not remove any other fuses and put them in another slot. You could blow that fuse and now you have 2 blown fuses.

Here is another post about the fuse panel... it's a 2008 which should be the exact same thing as your car.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576588

Fuse #67 looks to be the one for the blower motor.

Pull the fuse and look at it. If the center link between the 2 blades is burnt, it's bad. Go buy another one of the same amperage and with the car turned off plug it in. Turn the car on and try the fan. If it blows again you have a short in the blower motor.
Greyfox is offline   United_States
      03-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #17
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
I don't have my car handy to check the fuses. But if you press defrost does the fan work?
No air comes in, through vents and no the defrost doesn't work either.
I'm going to try to take out the blower motor and give it a lube and cleaning to see if it comes back...
      03-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #18
weareweird69
Private

Drives: 06 330XI

I'm with the other guys then. Check fuses and its possible that the fan died or the controller.
      03-23-2014, 12:44 PM   #19
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
I'm with the other guys then. Check fuses and its possible that the fan died or the controller.
Hey everybody! Crazy update! So I unscrewed the panel under the glove compartment, disconnected the 2 plugs, reconnected them, gave up half way through because shit was getting to complicated for me. Screwed everything back together, and voila it's working again without replacing anything! Lol
This is the strangest thing ever, but hey works for me! Lol
Thanks to everybody for there input! Enjoy your Sunday.
      03-23-2014, 01:01 PM   #20
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian

Drives: his wife crazy.

Quote:
Hey everybody! Crazy update! So I unscrewed the panel under the glove compartment, disconnected the 2 plugs, reconnected them, gave up half way through because shit was getting to complicated for me. Screwed everything back together, and voila it's working again without replacing anything! Lol
This is the strangest thing ever, but hey works for me! Lol
Thanks to everybody for there input! Enjoy your Sunday.
Just a loose plug probably... vibrations caused it to disconnect just enough to stop working. Glad it worked out for you.

Fail(s): tstat housing (also water pump) July 2014 @89k http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...57&postcount=9
GB-335xiCoupe is offline   United_States