E90Post

E92-lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Aux input problems

04-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
d_slice1
Rep
Drives: 2006 AW 325i

Aux input problems

Hi all. My drivers side speakers go very quiet, almost mute, every now and again. Most notably driver door speaker. Completely random it seems. Usually a kind of pop is heard which makes me think bad wiring but here's the kicker: it only happens with aux input. CD and radio both work fine and never cut out like the aux does which makes me believe speaker wiring is not to blame. I've searched quite a bit and haven't seen any others who mention a problem like this. I thought about replacing the amp (probably still will for better quality), but I looked at the simple wiring diagrams and it looks like the aux circuit goes directly to the headunit.

Anyone else experience this or heard of it? Think it's a faulty head unit? Maybe just a faulty aux jack? Do you guys use expensive aux cables? (my old car did fine with cheapo ones so I assumed they don't matter, I HAVE tried multiple cables though and am 95% sure it's not the cable) I popped off the center console rear cover and wiggled the aux wires to see if it was a bad connection there but had no success reproducing the speaker cut outs.

My plan of attack is inspect and replace aux input completely from center console to dash. And if that doesn't work, replace the headunit I guess. I'm just hoping someone on here has experienced something similar and knows what it is before I just throw money at it

I've had my 2006 325i for about half a year now and have just put up with this but alas I want to enjoy my summer drives without being annoyed.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2016, 09:48 PM   #2
d_slice1
Rep

Forgot to mention sound system is hifi. No USB port.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

It's the aux input jack (maybe just dirty), the cable, or the jack on your music device.

When using earbuds on my iphone, sometimes I only get sound in one ear, and if I spin the plug in the socket the sound will come back to both ears.

If you look at the plug, there are three contact points: tip, ring 1, and ring 2. I don't know which is which, but one is common, one is the left channel, and one is the right channel.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:06 PM   #4
d_slice1
Rep

I've had that problem with earphones before but my phone is fine and spinning and moving the cable on the car jack doesn't do anything. It really does seem random when it goes out.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #5
YGazis109
Yiannis Gazis
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [5.00]
I had he same exact problem on mine listen to patents he is exactly correct...I actually have a rubber band around my aux and usb cord so the aux cord gets the right contact....haven't had the problem come back because the rubber band keeps the aux cord in the right spot
2007 328xi | SGM | e90 | Premium | Navi | Gloss black trim | Cold | AA headers | 3 stage intake manifold | AA stage 3 tune | AFE stage 2 intake | Cyba Scoops | OEM Blacklines | OEM LCI mtech front bumper | OEM LCI hood | OEM gloss black kidney grills | Orion v4 LED halos with blackout headlights | Valentine 1 Radar | Sport wheel with paddles | kw v1 coilovers | VMR 710 | Continental ExtremeContact DW |
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Rosetta Stoned
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 AW 335i, 2012 AW X5d

Garage List
2014 Ford Mustang GT  [0.00]
2007 335i  [0.00]
2012 BMW X5d  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Rosetta Stoned
I had the same problem a long time ago. As mentioned it's either the jack or cable. I tried two cables with same result so I actually replaced the jack with a radio shack one. Then still had same problem. Turned out to be just the cable cause the two I tried were nearly identical a different cable has worked fine since.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #7
d_slice1
Rep

Really?? Alright I'll try getting a different cable and messing around with the jack. Might just have to get a new jack. My old scion used to do this but moving the cable would fix it. In my 325 messing with the cable does nothing, that's why I thought it might be more serious. I'll update if I manage to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #8
d_slice1
Rep

Alright guys, I finally took apart the jack yesterday and tried feeding the audio signal straight to the wires that go to the headunit. Problem was still there. What this tells me is that the jack isn't the problem, the phone isn't the problem, the aux wire isn't the problem. the headunit is what sends signals out to the amp, so it's either the headunit or the amp???? Anyone more familiar with the hardware feel free to chime in. Has anyone else reported faulty headunits? I'm considering buying a new one. (The display on mine is fu**** up anyway) I've been using CD's but I out play them very fast as I drive alot.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
kaputme
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E90 2009

Garage List
2009 BMW E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_slice1 View Post
Alright guys, I finally took apart the jack yesterday and tried feeding the audio signal straight to the wires that go to the head unit. Problem was still there. What this tells me is that the jack isn't the problem, the phone isn't the problem, the aux wire isn't the problem. the head unit is what sends signals out to the amp, so it's either the head unit or the amp???? Anyone more familiar with the hardware feel free to chime in. Has anyone else reported faulty head units? I'm considering buying a new one. (The display on mine is fu**** up anyway) I've been using CD's but I out play them very fast as I drive a lot.
I have a 2009 E90, same set up like yours, no USB. I have the same issue. Some times the left side (driver side) starts getting really distorted (like old radios) then cuts out.. I wiggled the AUX, plugged half in, then it works, for some time. As soon i close the arm rest, it slowly cuts out again.

I've tried with 2 different cables. Same result. I'll buy a quality cable and see what happens. If not I'm replacing the Aux plug with a good one from the local electro shop. I'll keep you posted. Hope you do the same.
Appreciate 0