E90Post

E92 Lighting

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Huge HPFP inventory. The End of the N54/N55 HPFP Fuel Pump Saga?

01-05-2011, 05:40 PM   #89
Glowin
Captain

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
Since they now need tens of thousands more HPFPs than before it would make sense that BMW is now using both Bosch and Continental as HPFP suppliers and thus the new P.N. for a second vendor. This way they can keep track of the failure rate on the 446 HPFP. The 446 re-man HPFP appears to be the same as the 933 re-man pump.
So for those going in for a recall now, but who are still getting the 933 pump, they should be just as satisfied as the new 446 pump?

Generally, one would try to always get the latest version, so there's a part of me that wants to check with my service dept. ahead of time to see which pump number they plan on installing and wait for the 446 to be in stock, but then again they might get upset thinking I'm meddling too much...
Glowin is online now   United_States
      01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #90
335iSSA
Captain

Drives: 07' E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
So for those going in for a recall now, but who are still getting the 933 pump, they should be just as satisfied as the new 446 pump?

Generally, one would try to always get the latest version, so there's a part of me that wants to check with my service dept. ahead of time to see which pump number they plan on installing and wait for the 446 to be in stock, but then again they might get upset thinking I'm meddling too much...
Just got back from the dealer after the recall work and got the 933 pump...It doesn't really bother me too much.

The new software idles a little higher (~1000rpm) after startup and gradually goes back down to ~600rpm.

I noticed that I was having a loud ticking noise from the drivers side of the engine bay and now that is gone, maybe it was the pump? I'll check again to see if it's gone on cold start up tomorrow AM.
335iSSA is offline   Poland
      01-05-2011, 10:36 PM   #91
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant

I had the recall work done. 08MY with 12/07 build date, original HPFP. They only did the software update. No new pump, no new injectors.
      01-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #92
roundelfan
Registered

Drives: 88 535is, 08 335iC, '10 535i,

I've gone through 9 fuel pumps. 2-535i's were bought back (2008 & 2010) and I still have my 335i coupe. Only one fuel pump replacement on the 335i. I just bought a 2011 335i sedan cause I thought the N55 didn't have any problems!!! I also ordered a X5d that will be here this week that I am hoping has zero issues. I can't waste anymore time taking these stupid cars in
      01-06-2011, 06:14 AM   #93
r3dbimmer89
The Coolest

Drives: F80 M3

I'm bringing my car in for front brakes today, didn't mention the recall when I made the reservation but I'll check on it when I get there. My gut feeling is prefering the 433 pump ...I just don't understand why would there be two different part numbers for IDENTICAL pumps.
      01-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #94
Frosty
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ordered my E92 (7/10/06)

ahh the world of HPFP...

I have a 335i coupe as in sig...

00,000 miles purchased new (NO idea on HPFP (HDP) 13 51 7 592 881?
43,015 miles long cranks etc, dealer installs 13-51-7-585-655
50,402 miles long cranks etc, dealer installs 13-51-7-585-655
91,252 miles long cranks etc, dealer installs 13-51-7-594-943

still running on HPD #4...also a number of FI replacements

~Frost
335i Coupe (6MT) (2007: 9/06 build, pre ordered, only owner): Space Grey / Black Leatherette / Grey Poplar trim / ZCW / ZSP / BMW assist w/ bluetooth / power rear shade / navi with iDrive / comfort access keyless entry /+homelink mirror/ 154,885+miles (Nov-12-2013)
.................................................. ......................
      01-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #95
bobbyd1961
Banned

Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
Reported on E90POST Homepage

I had some issues with starting my car the other day and it was dieing left and right. I knew I needed a fuel pump and figured I would get the 933 pump, which is the latest one.

When I picked up my car, I was told that I got the newest pump available. It's pump # 13517616446.
I went to European Auto Source after the pump was installed and they looked up the part number to see what the deal was with this new part number.
There were some questions that we had, Why this new part number?
What's different with this one?

Then we noticed a huge number.
We saw that there is an inventory of over 27,000 fuel pumps with part #13517616446 in the United States.
That's HUGE!
If you looked at the previous part numbers of fuel pumps, you would find that at most, there would be 1000. At most.

Now, why the huge number?
Do you guys think that this pump is the fix and BMW is getting ready to fix everybody's N54/N55 to this pump?
Or
Do you think that BMW is just getting ready for everybody's pump to fail and these are just back ups?

I'm wondering and hoping that it's a fix because why would BMW send so many of a specific part number if it's going to add to the problem.

Discussion?
this is exactly why i will not buy a turbo bmw until this issue is 100% resolved!
      01-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #96
imageautodetail
Captain

Drives: 08 335 silverback

Garage List
2008 335 e90  [0.00]
2007 e90 335  [2.50]
I was contacted by my service writer after scheduling a spark plug service last week to let me know BMW has finally solved the HPFP issue and that they would need my car longer to replace it. I think that is why they never did a full on recall until now, they would just replace it if it went bad, and again and again. They didnt want to do a full on recall and remove a pump that may not go bad and replace it with one that may, now that they have it figured out, they dont feel bad about replacing them all.
      01-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #97
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Ok folks,

I just received my car back from the dealer. Here is my current experience thus far:

* Dealer installed ISTA 2.40.2 - Programmed and encoded complete vehicle as per recall
* Performed vehicle test, checked fault memory, test low pressure sensor
* Replaced HPFP as per recall. Used part number 13-51-7-613-933 This is not the latest!
* Replaced 4 fuel injectors with part number 13-53-7-585-261
* Replaced 4 decoupling elements part number 13-53-7-564-751

* Car drives VERY VERY smooth.
* Car starts up immediately, as it did previously.
* Car idles at 700 rpms! This is not a fluke. This is on a fully warmed up engine after 20 miles of driving.

I suspect they raise the idle to 700 rpms in order to keep the HPFP from starving for fuel. Again, this is just a guess. Previously my car would idle at 550 rpms with fully warmed up engine!

Discuss.
      01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #98
Turkeybaster115
Banned

Drives: 335I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Ok folks,

I just received my car back from the dealer. Here is my current experience thus far:

* Dealer installed ISTA 2.40.2 - Programmed and encoded complete vehicle as per recall
* Replaced HPFP as per recall. Used part number 13-51-7-613-933 This is not the latest!

* Car idles at 700 rpms! This is not a fluke. This is on a fully warmed up engine after 20 miles of driving.

I suspect they raise the idle to 700 rpms in order to keep the HPFP from starving for fuel. Again, this is just a guess. Previously my car would idle at 550 rpms with fully warmed up engine!

Discuss.
I'm going in tomorrow for this. I have 2 HPFP codes, and failed emissions testing because of it. Any type of power loss, or turbo lag, stemming from the software update?
      01-06-2011, 09:51 AM   #99
techlogik
Major

Drives: 07 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboawdfanatic View Post
I had the recall work done. 08MY with 12/07 build date, original HPFP. They only did the software update. No new pump, no new injectors.
Did they actually follow the injector TSB? OH wait..you are '08...maybe you don't have injector issues.

They are supposed to hookup the diag to each injector and it should give an error/code as to whether they are part of the TSB/Recall.

Otherwise, The HPFP TSB/Recall is either a new HPFP if it is acting up/symptoms...that is of course, after they update the DME, and see if that doesn't resolve it.
SOLD: 2007 E92 335i Space Gray. Loaded. 6AT | GIAC Stage 1 w/map switcher 330rwhp/332tq | CX Racing IC | Drop-in Filter | Eibach Pro/Koni Yellows | M6 Reps | Toyo Proxes IV Tires, 235/35/19F-265/30/19R
      01-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #100
Turkeybaster115
Banned

Drives: 335I

Boy, I hope this "recall thing works, cuz my car, is totally F**Ked up! I had long cranks for months, and now, the car hiccups a lot on the highway, before throwing a code, right in the middle of driving.
      01-06-2011, 10:10 AM   #101
turboawdfanatic
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by imageautodetail View Post
I was contacted by my service writer after scheduling a spark plug service last week to let me know BMW has finally solved the HPFP issue and that they would need my car longer to replace it. I think that is why they never did a full on recall until now, they would just replace it if it went bad, and again and again. They didnt want to do a full on recall and remove a pump that may not go bad and replace it with one that may, now that they have it figured out, they dont feel bad about replacing them all.
They are not replacing them all. I as well as other members are on original pumps and did not get them changed under the recall...only a software update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techlogik View Post
Did they actually follow the injector TSB? OH wait..you are '08...maybe you don't have injector issues.

They are supposed to hookup the diag to each injector and it should give an error/code as to whether they are part of the TSB/Recall.

Otherwise, The HPFP TSB/Recall is either a new HPFP if it is acting up/symptoms...that is of course, after they update the DME, and see if that doesn't resolve it.
They did check the injector TSB. The first step is to scan the key or DSCnet...to even see what your car is eligible for according to it's vin. This all comes from BMWNA and they flag specific vin/cars. So if it's not flagged by BMWNA..the scans don't prompt them to Follow the TSB. In a nut shell....my car falls into the specified MY for the TSB's but my VIN only called for software update. No new HPFP, no new injector.
      01-06-2011, 10:26 AM   #102
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose

Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

Garage List
2008 335i E90  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeybaster115 View Post
Any type of power loss, or turbo lag, stemming from the software update?
I really can't say just yet because I had GIAC S1. It definitely feels significantly slower than before, but I really can't say this is due to some new algorithms they implemented. Chances are my butt dyno was used to seeing the power of GIAC S1 and now it feels disappointed. I am upgrading to S2 this Saturday.

Good luck with yours!
      01-06-2011, 10:27 AM   #103
Alan l.
Brigadier General

Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i

When i got my 933 pump two months ago the tech (which i know) told me i have the latest and greatest pump. I asked him if it was a re-manufactured unit and he said nope....this one is brand new. Aside from the part number there was another number on the actual HPFP where he could tell if it was a reman or new unit.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
      01-06-2011, 11:06 AM   #104
Mr. 5
Modder Raider

Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
Ok folks,

Discuss.
I'm glad you brought up part numbers because it is important for people to know about whether or not you really need to bring in the car.
Just because a person gets a letter doesn't mean that the dealer is going to do anything to the car.

For those who are somewhat handy, you can take off the valve cover and check the injector part numbers to see if you need the new injectors or not.
If you have a part number that ends in 138 then you need the new injectors.
If you have the part number that ends in 261 then you are fine; you do not need new injectors.

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Mr. 5 is offline   Scotland
      01-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #105
shifterboy45
Major

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

not trying to contradict anyone, but here are the facts....

if you do receive a letter, you car is affected.. period

now to what extent depends on the build parts on the car, if a HDP pump was recently replaced and the current I-level of your software.

1. some folks will get ONLY a software update -- and nothing more..
2. now your good buddy that has maybe the same year car and close prod date may get a s/w update and a new HDP
3.finally the guy around the corner from you will the the "works" s/w update, HDP, and new injectors.

but the minimum you will get is the upgraded software ISTA/P 2.40 -- its the newest version out and only 2011 cars have an I-level close to that.... so to a point the statement is true in respect to parts replacement only..
      01-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #106
tofu-
Banned

Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. 5 View Post
I'm glad you brought up part numbers because it is important for people to know about whether or not you really need to bring in the car.
Just because a person gets a letter doesn't mean that the dealer is going to do anything to the car.

For those who are somewhat handy, you can take off the valve cover and check the injector part numbers to see if you need the new injectors or not.
If you have a part number that ends in 138 then you need the new injectors.
If you have the part number that ends in 261 then you are fine; you do not need new injectors.
on the contrary, if they find you have a failing injector (they replace the seals on all injectors i believe whether or not they are swapped), it will be changed, despite the part #s. evidence of failing injectors may be due to really unevenly fouled spark plugs indicating misfires. i'm not sure how bad these injectors leak, and if you can actually see excess fuel or not.

Although this may be on a dealer to dealer basis, depending on if they feel like going out of their way. For those with their warranty intact, it should get done under repair anyway.

note that i do not have any warranty on my vehicle, and they replaced a failing injector that i purchased only 2 months ago.
      01-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #107
shifterboy45
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
on the contrary, if they find you have a failing injector (they replace the seals on all injectors i believe whether or not they are swapped), it will be changed, despite the part #s. evidence of failing injectors may be due to really unevenly fouled spark plugs indicating misfires. i'm not sure how bad these injectors leak, and if you can actually see excess fuel or not.

Although this may be on a dealer to dealer basis, depending on if they feel like going out of their way. For those with their warranty intact, it should get done under repair anyway.

note that i do not have any warranty on my vehicle, and they replaced a failing injector that i purchased only 2 months ago.
first the part # is inspected to verify --
second the affected injector is decoupled (seal) and scanned --
the ICOM will transmit the data to BMW's data base and if it requires replacement it will let the tech know with a replace or good confirmation..

the injector whether replaced or not will get a new seal (decoupler) and re/installed --

there is no visual signs other than the scan code response

based on the SIBs criteria...

every dealer will need to fufill the work related with 13 09 10 / 13 13 10 / 13 14 10 without fail as required by the recall...

i had only 3 of six of my injectors replaced under the campaign, but then again one was replaced last year
      01-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #108
clemsonkev
OOOO another former Audi B5 S4 owner OOOO

Drives: 335i MT - Cobb - Bren Tuned

Send a message via Yahoo to clemsonkev
My 2007 335i just had it's HPFP fail for the 2nd time (1st around 21k, this one at 44k).

This time, the service rep. told me it was the French's fault! No kidding, he said BMW recently canceled their HPFP w/ some French company and are making the new models in Germany.

How can I tell if mine is now in fact the new model discussed here?
clemsonkev is offline   United_States
      01-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #109
shifterboy45
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonkev View Post
My 2007 335i just had it's HPFP fail for the 2nd time (1st around 21k, this one at 44k).

This time, the service rep. told me it was the French's fault! No kidding, he said BMW recently canceled their HPFP w/ some French company and are making the new models in Germany.

How can I tell if mine is now in fact the new model discussed here?
Conti's i believe were the pumps with the last three digits 943

new pump are 933 and 446 --

just look on you repair invoice and see if it lists the pump number

may look like: 13-51-7-613-933
      01-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #110
968tomr
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I have seen a lot of discussion regarding part numbers - so

From RealOEM... http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...83&hg=13&fg=15

01 High-pressure pump 1 07/2008 13537537320 ENDED
01 High-pressure pump 1 12/2009 13517592881 ENDED
01 High-pressure pump 1 12/2009 13517596123 ENDED
01 High-pressure pump 1 05/2010 13517594943
01 Rmfd high-pressure pump 1 13517613933

It appears that as of 5/2010 there is a new part number for new pumps (and re-manufactured pumps built to this specification get a different part number).

All of my facts come for RealOEM - and I am not chiming in on whether or not the part is a fix.

-Tom