E90Post

Bimmer Retrofit

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Reset All Signs; But Still "engine Service Soon"....why?

12-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
SINGH310

Drives: 2013 335i Convertible

Exclamation Reset All Signs; But Still "engine Service Soon"....why?

The computer was saying that I needed to change the Air Filter and do a Brake Fluid Flush. I did do that and reset both signs. At this point, all signs and dates are reset and I am still getting the "Engine Service Soon" light. Why?

328xi 07 - Non- - 76,0XX Miles

Thanks for your help.

And I did and search other posting, still nothing.
      12-30-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINGH310 View Post
The computer was saying that I needed to change the Air Filter and do a Brake Fluid Flush. I did do that and reset both signs. At this point, all signs and dates are reset and I am still getting the "Engine Service Soon" light. Why?

328xi 07 - Non- - 76,0XX Miles

Thanks for your help.

And I did and search other posting, still nothing.
That sucks, you might have to invest in a BT scan tool to reset. See my sig.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger

Last edited by Chriztofor; 12-31-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      12-30-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
SINGH310

Drives: 2013 335i Convertible

& what exactly would this do? Find all the fault codes and what not? But would it remove the sign?

Have you done it before?
      12-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
Chriztofor
Colonel

^ The BT tool is suppose to be able to diagnose AND reset everything. Check out their website and call or e-mail them.

If you take it to the dealer they will probably charge you the cost of the BT tool which will come in handy for other things. I don't have one, yet. I might just get the peake tool which might not be able to help you for your problem.

The peake tool is more for diagnosis only. BT tool is for diagnosing and resetting (as what I gathered from this forum and their website.) On my e46 I used the peake tool and it worked perfectly for diagnosing problems.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
      12-31-2010, 08:19 AM   #5
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So you are talking about two separate issues. The lights you reset were the condition-based service (CBS) system indicators that inform you when one of the service items it monitors (like oil changes, spark plugs, cabin air filter, etc.) needs service. The Service Engine Soon (SES) light is a separate system and is not maintenance based but rather problem-based and indicates there is something wrong with the emissions system (both intake and exhaust). The SES light is a federally regulated emissions monitoring system called OBDII (On-Board Diagnostics - Ver. 2), which all cars sold in the US market must have. The OBDII requirement is for all cars in the US sold as of the 1996 model year.

You can read the "fault code" stored in the engine computer unit (ECU) - BMW calls computers "modules" - that is triggering the SES light. The emissions system in your car has detected that one of the hundreds of parameters it monitors is not within specification. The codes can be read by an OBDII scan tool (as the regulation calls for codes to be standardized between all auto manufacturers), or a better tool for your BMW is the BT (Bavarian Tech) scan tool which scans all the modules in the car (there are about 12 modules) and finds all fault codes in all modules, more than just the ones that are stored in the ECU.

Once you have discovered what fault code is triggering the SES light, you can repair the condition (usually by replacing a sensor) and then clear the code, which resets (clears) the SES light. If it is a code that is not a currently present condition (i.e. a one-time event) then you can clear the code with either scanner. Or you can ignore the problem and clear the code, which it will probably re-occur at some point in the future. With the scan tool, you can clear SES codes anytime you want.

So it sounds like you will be personnaly maintianing your car, which is great, but the two tools you should buy to help you are the BT Scan tool (or another similar scan tool that scan BMWs), and the Bentley service manual for the E9x.

Last edited by ENINTY; 12-31-2010 at 08:28 AM.
      12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel

^ I am going by my experience with the Peake tool for my e46. The generic OBII readers don't read the specific fault code. For example, they might tell you that a cam shaft sensor is faulty, but they don't tell you if it is intake or exhaust. Each sensor is $100 so you don't want to guess. Peake , will tell you which one is faulty.
      12-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #7
ENINTY
Banned

^ I have a Peake tool for my older BMWs (E30 and Z3) and it works great. The newest PEAKE scan tool works on newer BMWs but from what I gathered on Peake's website is it doesn't reset the CBS system. The BT Scan tool has a lot of other functions such as real-time display of data, CBS reset capability, and coding (with the professional version), that makes it a worthwile investment for one's tool box and worth the $80 delta in price (non-professional version) as compared to Peake's tool. I have the professional version of the BT Scan tool, which comes with 20-pin conversion to the round under-hood ECU connector and it doesn't reset the old-style CBS in the Z3, so it's not much help for the Z3.

If the OP's issue is an OBDII code and not a BMW specific code, the an OBDII scan tool can help him as much as the Peake or BT tools.
      01-03-2011, 11:54 AM   #8
rambalu80
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
As ENTITY mentioned, "Service Engine Soon" indicator is BMW's equivalent of the "Check Engine Light".

CEL's are usually emissions related. Take your car to a local Autozone or any other auto parts store and have them read the codes using an OBDII scanner.
Alpine White/Terra | 6MT | Navi | Premium Package | OEM Chrome Tips | HO C30 Tint | OEM Aluminum Pedals | Rear Fogs Enabled | 17" OEM Style 159 Wheels | Hella Whitelines | USDM Bi-xenons w/ 4300k D1S HID Bulbs

rambalu80 is offline   United_States
      01-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Lagger1
Private First Class

Drives: valvetronic engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
As ENTITY mentioned, "Service Engine Soon" indicator is BMW's equivalent of the "Check Engine Light".

CEL's are usually emissions related. Take your car to a local Autozone or any other auto parts store and have them read the codes using an OBDII scanner.
No. He cleared all the codes. "Service" light is not equivelant to a CEL.

This guy just had his go away after 5-6 times driving the car.... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471140

I still haven't seen anyone post a definitive answer on this. I'm sure the BT tool would reset this, however, it doesnt appear to be the only way. Maybe the ecu adapts after time & resets itself, since the above guy "service" light magically disappeared.

Lagger1 is offline   United_States
      01-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
rambalu80
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagger1 View Post
No. He cleared all the codes. "Service" light is not equivelant to a CEL.

This guy just had his go away after 5-6 times driving the car.... http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471140

I still haven't seen anyone post a definitive answer on this. I'm sure the BT tool would reset this, however, it doesnt appear to be the only way. Maybe the ecu adapts after time & resets itself, since the above guy "service" light magically disappeared.
SES on BMW's is the equivalent of the CEL on other cars.

For the guy here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471140, he says he got the SES light after replacing the coil pack but if the light went away after driving 5-6 times, my guess is that the SES light came on due to a loose gas cap, i.e., after filling up with gas he probably did not turn the gas cap until it clicked (common CEL issue on most cars, not just BMW's and if someone had scanned the code with an OBDII scanner, they would have got a loose gas cap code). Read the owner's manual and you'll find information about this.
Alpine White/Terra | 6MT | Navi | Premium Package | OEM Chrome Tips | HO C30 Tint | OEM Aluminum Pedals | Rear Fogs Enabled | 17" OEM Style 159 Wheels | Hella Whitelines | USDM Bi-xenons w/ 4300k D1S HID Bulbs

Last edited by rambalu80; 01-03-2011 at 03:07 PM.
rambalu80 is offline   United_States
      01-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
ENINTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambalu80 View Post
SES on BMW's is the equivalent of the CEL on other cars.

For the guy here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471140, he says he got the SES light after replacing the coil pack but if the light went away after driving 5-6 times, my guess is that the SES light came on due to a loose gas cap, i.e., after filling up with gas he probably did not turn the gas cap until it clicked (common CEL issue on most cars, not just BMW's and if someone had scanned the code with an OBDII scanner, they would have got a loose gas cap code). Read the owner's manual and you'll find information about this.
I think what happened is the OP in that thread did not reset the SES light be before he replaced the coils. I just replaced one of my O2 senors and the Bentley service manual procedure called for clearing codes before the O2 sensor was replaced. If the OP in that thread didn't clear the code before replacement of the coils, then the OBDII system had to go through the drive-cycle a few times to self-clear the code.