E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Power Steering Flush DIY E90



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2013, 10:44 PM   #67
ska///235i
***** noob
ska///235i's Avatar
United_States
679
Rep
10,338
Posts

Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
man you guys are crazy doing all that work for steering fluid...just suck out fluid from reservior with a fluid extractor and refill, then start the car and turn steering left-right...repeat (3 times) until you use the entire bottle of ch11s. Do this every 30k-40k miles and you're golden. I also replaced the reservor cap with a new one that has a o-ring. My 2006 e90 stock cap didnt have the o-ring and it had alot residual on the cap...highly recommend if your cap do not have o-ring.

I use this oil suction gun...works like a charm. One pull and all the fluid was out of the reservior

http://www.harborfreight.com/oil-suction-gun-95468.html
__________________
2006 325xi (Sold)
2014 M235I (Current)
2015 428xi Gran Coupe (STB)

Last edited by ska///235i; 05-18-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:33 AM   #68
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
20
Rep
624
Posts

Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: =

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas View Post
I modified the original approach as I could not envision how to do it without making a complete mess of the vehicle and garage floor. I think this is actually the e46 method referenced by the OP in his posting.

Less messy technique:

Lift front of vehicle. Please do this safely.

Remove plastic underbody, air box, and air intake duct from in front of engine to aid access.

Release the tension on the serpentine belt, and move it out of the way to improve access and prevent getting any oil on to it. This is a great time to do maintenance in this area as well.

Completely drain the reservoir with your suction device of choice. Get down behind the filter to minimize mess in the next step. I got about 250 ml out, it was a little bit low to start.

Remove the banjo bolt at the bottom of the PS pump. I removed by reaching in from above. This allowed me to place some aluminum foil, prior to opening the bolt, below and channel the fluid forward and into a container with a funnel on top, with minimal mess. It is also an easy bolt to access, and retighten.

Turning the steering wheel repeatedly from stop to stop for about five or ten minutes will pump fluid up to the reservoir, which will then drain down to the pump and out the bottom. I also used a small syringe to again fully empty the reservoir. I was able to get another 450 ml of fluid out.

Replace the banjo bolt and line, use new crush washers.

Degrease any pulleys that might have been contaminated, then replaced serpentine belt.

I refilled with 700 ml of fluid. This takes a little while, turn the steering wheel, start and stop the engine, etc. Ignored the horrible noises, got the air out and ran the engine for a while, then emptied the reservoir again and refilled with the remaining 300 ml in the can.

Assuming a 1 liter capacity (complete guess), this means the first flush left 30% old fluid, and the second, reservoir only, flush got it down to about 22% old fluid. Looks much better, but I wish there was a way to get all the fluid out. Using the easier drain reservoir and refill method, five cycles should get you to the same place, but would require 1.25 liters of fluid.Hope this helps someone. Sorry no pics, there are plenty of them above. The PS pump is right above the rack and to the front. Just trace the lines.
This is one of the reason I'd rather not drained it this way. If I have to take out the air box, air intake duct, and serpentine belt to prevent from making a mess than I think I'd go the turkey baster route.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #69
Ghos7N54
Enthusiast
Ghos7N54's Avatar
42
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: E90 335i Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

I wanted to revive this thread for one, it has been very informative and helpful. Secondly my cap says use ATF only, so I planned on picking up Castrol ATF, but how can I be sure that ATF is whats currently in the system and not CHF? Just cautious of this since CHF and ATF CANNOT be mixed.
__________________

Track Ready E92 in Planning / E90 335i Sport (sold)
/Porsche 955 Cayenne S / Benz W204 C300 Luxury / XJ Jeep Cherokee /
545i Sport 6spd Shadowline (sold) / 98 Lex GS300 2J Twin Turbo 17PSI (sold) / E21 320i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:27 PM   #70
duaux
Private
5
Rep
87
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghos7N54 View Post
I wanted to revive this thread for one, it has been very informative and helpful. Secondly my cap says use ATF only, so I planned on picking up Castrol ATF, but how can I be sure that ATF is whats currently in the system and not CHF? Just cautious of this since CHF and ATF CANNOT be mixed.
Unfortunately, you can not be "certain".

My mechanic based it on "his experience", looking at the colour and smelling it. He basically also told me that "he is 100% certain" that all E90 came with CHF for power steering and that my car just "lost the green sticker".

***WARNING*** I am not telling you to following me... experience may differ!

For me, I trusted him and he flushed it with CHF (full drain and fill). It has been 2 years and my car is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #71
Ghos7N54
Enthusiast
Ghos7N54's Avatar
42
Rep
215
Posts

Drives: E90 335i Sport
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaux View Post
Unfortunately, you can not be "certain".

My mechanic based it on "his experience", looking at the colour and smelling it. He basically also told me that "he is 100% certain" that all E90 came with CHF for power steering and that my car just "lost the green sticker".

***WARNING*** I am not telling you to following me... experience may differ!

For me, I trusted him and he flushed it with CHF (full drain and fill). It has been 2 years and my car is fine.
You just happened to be right anyways

Just talked to an old buddy that works at BMW of San Antonio and he looked it up and did confirm that my 2007 E90 335i does require CHF 11. Thanks!
__________________

Track Ready E92 in Planning / E90 335i Sport (sold)
/Porsche 955 Cayenne S / Benz W204 C300 Luxury / XJ Jeep Cherokee /
545i Sport 6spd Shadowline (sold) / 98 Lex GS300 2J Twin Turbo 17PSI (sold) / E21 320i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2015, 07:25 PM   #72
mweisdorfer
Lieutenant Colonel
mweisdorfer's Avatar
United_States
202
Rep
1,947
Posts

Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Holly, MI

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexyjen
My car needs power steering fluid. 2007 335i. I've heard 2 separate brands to try but not sure which one. Anyone know which i am supposed to use?
I just used a brake vac and had a buddy of mine turn on the car with the front end on Jack stands. He turned the car on and turned the wheel several times while I sucked out the old chs11.

I put AMSOIL ATF back in. We poured the new AMSOIL in while the car was still on and turned the wheel several times to make the pump suck the new ATF in. We did this until the pump stopped whining and the level of the fluid remained constant in the reservoir.

We then used the brake vac to suck out the new ATF out, in the same manner described above, which was not a nice red color due to it mixing with the residual CHS11 remaining in the system.

We then put more AMSOIL ATF back in the system in the same manner described above.

Presto - bright red fluid.

You should change out the power steering fluid every 50k or your probability of changing out a new power steering pump after 100k gets greater.

Last time I checked that part is not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #73
speedball73
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 325i Silver (2006)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Anybody agree with me that the RealOEM diagram in this link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=32_1569 and the photos on page 1 of this tutorial don't match?

It seems to me that the power steering lines going into the rack are installed the other way (banjo bolt on the bottom). I've looked at this a few times, starting to drive myself crazy so I wanted to check with you guys!

-speedball
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #74
b1mmr
Major
b1mmr's Avatar
202
Rep
1,233
Posts

Drives: 2008 335XI E90
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Will a flush make steering a little easier? One thing I'm not crazy about with this car is the firmness of the steering wheel. E90 08 335xi
__________________
Formerly Ian_N54 - @b1mmr
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 01:36 AM   #75
VP-jiminy
New Member
VP-jiminy's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys! Not sure if anyone's still following this thread, but what do you think of the following, even less messier, method for a full flush? This one does not involve removing the banjo bolt or the plastic underpanel at all!

1. Remove the airbox

2. Suck out the fluid from the reservoir

3. Unscrew reservoir from its bracket/attachments

4. Remove the crimp clamps and detach the two hoses at the bottom of the reservoir

5. Dump any old PS fluid that comes out of the lower portion of the reservoir (under the filter) and out of the hoses into a catchpan that you place where the airbox was

6. Install a new reservoir (since you can't change the filter in the old one as it is integrated into the reservoir) and reattach & tighten only the high-pressure line to the cooler, but leave the return line unattached for now.

7. Fill fresh fluid in the new reservoir and turn engine on. (I suppose you could use a floor jack at this point to raise the car just enough to clear the tires off the ground so as not to stress the PS pump)

8. Turn the wheel lock-to-lock intermittently in between pouring fresh fluid in the reservoir as the PS pump circulates old fluid out of the system via the unattached return line, dumping it into the catchpan.

9. When you see that the fluid coming out of the return hose into your catchpan is the fresh light green variety unlike the dirty kind, you know you've flushed out the vast majority, if not all of, the PS fluid.

10. Turn the engine off and attach/clamp the return line to the reservoir. Tighten the reservoir to the bracket and body in its final position.

11. Top up the reservoir as needed, tighten cap, and turn on engine and steering wheel lock-to-lock to purge any remaining air.

12. Get rid of the catchpan and reinstall airbox.

Voilą!! )

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2016, 12:19 PM   #76
VP-jiminy
New Member
VP-jiminy's Avatar
United_States
3
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Vipi?!! Noone?!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 11:33 PM   #77
SilverStreak18
Private First Class
17
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 08 SGM 335i Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP-jiminy View Post
Hi guys! Not sure if anyone's still following this thread, but what do you think of the following, even less messier, method for a full flush? This one does not involve removing the banjo bolt or the plastic underpanel at all!

1. Remove the airbox

2. Suck out the fluid from the reservoir

3. Unscrew reservoir from its bracket/attachments

4. Remove the crimp clamps and detach the two hoses at the bottom of the reservoir

5. Dump any old PS fluid that comes out of the lower portion of the reservoir (under the filter) and out of the hoses into a catchpan that you place where the airbox was

6. Install a new reservoir (since you can't change the filter in the old one as it is integrated into the reservoir) and reattach & tighten only the high-pressure line to the cooler, but leave the return line unattached for now.

7. Fill fresh fluid in the new reservoir and turn engine on. (I suppose you could use a floor jack at this point to raise the car just enough to clear the tires off the ground so as not to stress the PS pump)

8. Turn the wheel lock-to-lock intermittently in between pouring fresh fluid in the reservoir as the PS pump circulates old fluid out of the system via the unattached return line, dumping it into the catchpan.

9. When you see that the fluid coming out of the return hose into your catchpan is the fresh light green variety unlike the dirty kind, you know you've flushed out the vast majority, if not all of, the PS fluid.

10. Turn the engine off and attach/clamp the return line to the reservoir. Tighten the reservoir to the bracket and body in its final position.

11. Top up the reservoir as needed, tighten cap, and turn on engine and steering wheel lock-to-lock to purge any remaining air.

12. Get rid of the catchpan and reinstall airbox.

Voilą!! )

Any thoughts?
Sorry man this makes wayyy too much sense for this thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:20 PM   #78
poggy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
7
Rep
159
Posts

Drives: E90 318i SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: UK

iTrader: (1)

Just thought it might be worth checking bmwfans.info - for a EU 318i at least, the CHF11.S label (pt no. 71*21*2*122*171) says its for 'vehicles with cold climate version'
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2017, 11:07 AM   #79
Toakenspy
New Member
1
Rep
13
Posts

Drives: 2006 320d E90
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Power Steering Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaux View Post
OK. So I was planning to do the DIY, but I just don't have time...

I bought all the ATF fluid, washers, along with other maintenance items I have been queuing, etc and brought it to a local indy BMW mech (sponsor here on e90post), and found out that my fluid needs 11S and not ATF fluid... WTF?

My cap says ATF fluid

My Indy Mechanic (who is a BMW trained mech):
The mechanic's analysis is that the cap is "wrong" based on two things:
1. His experience tells him that all the E90's he has dealt with in the Toronto area have a "green sticker saying 11S" that goes on top of the "ATF cap". Mine did not have the sticker, that is why I brought him a bottle of ATF fluid.

He also noted this his own two race cars, 2006 E90's are 11S for the power steering.

2. He also assured me that he took some fluid out to "look at it" and he says it is 11S "without a doubt". Based on years of use, the sticker could/would have "come off" of the cap.

Please mind you my conversation was over the phone.
I told him I would call him back to see if I can confirm with the dealership. I was hoping that just *maybe the dealer could confirm via the VIN or something.

Dealership:
1. They can not confirm the power steering fluid type my car via VIN#.
2. They did confirm that E90's do come in both 11S (about 90%) and ATF (about 10%) giving me a round number off his head.

My Indy Mechanic:
1. I called him back, and he reassures me that he is very confident that it requires 11S and not ATF.
2. I should trust him right? I made the call to have him flush it fully using OEM 11S fluid.

FINGERS CROSS I hope this does not damage my power steering system...

Did I just make a mistake? I am kind of worried now, but the mechanic has more experience than us on this forum right?

:::EDIT:::
I found this thread which has good pictures showing the 11S sticker...
This makes me feel better!
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12233031

I think the CAUTION I am trying to share with everyone... it is not as simple as looking at the power steering cap.

Be careful.
I actually agree this would make perfect sense. Every single BMW power steering reservoir I have ever seen (and I've seen many) have ATF ONLY stamped on the cap. I think perhaps even BMW may have not realised that ATF in some countries may not translate well into english speaking countries. I shall be flushing my PS fluid tonight using http://www.commaoil.com/commercial-v...ducts/view/221 so I shall let you know how I get on.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:32 PM   #80
DaddyP
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 320i E90 2006
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Hi guys, I just joined the forum, I'm located in RSA. I own 320i E90 and I'm experiencing the similar issue with my power steering cap, its written ATF only, not so sure if the green sticker fell off along the way...I asked the dealer and they asked for VIN number and said they can't pick up which fluid to use but either ATF or CHF.

I called my local dealer and they said they have one called LHM...does anyone recommend this product?
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2017, 12:39 PM   #81
DaddyP
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 320i E90 2006
Join Date: May 2017
Location: South Africa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP-jiminy View Post
Hi guys! Not sure if anyone's still following this thread, but what do you think of the following, even less messier, method for a full flush? This one does not involve removing the banjo bolt or the plastic underpanel at all!

1. Remove the airbox

2. Suck out the fluid from the reservoir

3. Unscrew reservoir from its bracket/attachments

4. Remove the crimp clamps and detach the two hoses at the bottom of the reservoir

5. Dump any old PS fluid that comes out of the lower portion of the reservoir (under the filter) and out of the hoses into a catchpan that you place where the airbox was

6. Install a new reservoir (since you can't change the filter in the old one as it is integrated into the reservoir) and reattach & tighten only the high-pressure line to the cooler, but leave the return line unattached for now.

7. Fill fresh fluid in the new reservoir and turn engine on. (I suppose you could use a floor jack at this point to raise the car just enough to clear the tires off the ground so as not to stress the PS pump)

8. Turn the wheel lock-to-lock intermittently in between pouring fresh fluid in the reservoir as the PS pump circulates old fluid out of the system via the unattached return line, dumping it into the catchpan.

9. When you see that the fluid coming out of the return hose into your catchpan is the fresh light green variety unlike the dirty kind, you know you've flushed out the vast majority, if not all of, the PS fluid.

10. Turn the engine off and attach/clamp the return line to the reservoir. Tighten the reservoir to the bracket and body in its final position.

11. Top up the reservoir as needed, tighten cap, and turn on engine and steering wheel lock-to-lock to purge any remaining air.

12. Get rid of the catchpan and reinstall airbox.

Voilą!! )

Any thoughts?
Sound like a good method, do I need to replace the reservoir or can I do it without replacing it?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2017, 09:13 AM   #82
oli3
Private First Class
14
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2007 E92 325i
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post
Do this every 30k-40k miles and you're golden. I also replaced the reservor cap with a new one that has a o-ring. My 2006 e90 stock cap didnt have the o-ring and it had alot residual on the cap...highly recommend if your cap do not have o-ring.
You have a part number for the cap with the o-ring by any chance?


Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyP View Post
Hi guys, I just joined the forum, I'm located in RSA. I own 320i E90 and I'm experiencing the similar issue with my power steering cap, its written ATF only, not so sure if the green sticker fell off along the way...I asked the dealer and they asked for VIN number and said they can't pick up which fluid to use but either ATF or CHF.

I called my local dealer and they said they have one called LHM...does anyone recommend this product?
I wouldn't go for LHM. It's most likely CHF, you can check your vin on http://www.realoem.com/

Last edited by oli3; 05-30-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #83
Si335d
Enlisted Member
Si335d's Avatar
5
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 2010 E90 LCI 335d
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Glasgow

iTrader: (0)

Very helpful thread guys. I read over it a few times before I decided to change out the power steering fluid in my 2010 LCI 335d. I used a cheap siphon I bought from a cash and carry and used PENTISON CHF 11S as that is what was engraved into my power steering fluid reservoir. Didn't take long at all to complete and wasn't very messy either. My fluid was already low and I was hearing some odd sort of crunching and rubbing noises as I was parking the car sometimes so I was already to keen to take on this DIY. Thread helped me a bunch with confidence to do so. Also car feels alot smoother turning the wheel and the steering almost feels lighter. Haven't driven it around too much yet but there's definitely been a big change.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:01 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST