E90Post
 


MINHS Auto Care Center
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Ottawa Members Thread (#2)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-01-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Mark
Administrator
 
Mark's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 3,924
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Official Ottawa Members Thread (#2)

Continued...
__________________
The new beast. BMW M5.
Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

First post.


Its the ottawa thread -- so it'll probably be the first post for a few weeks
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-01-2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Slalom
First Lieutenant
 
Slalom's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Z4, 07 328xiT,12 M3 week 46
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bern

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Second - Oh all right, something serious - anyone have their wheels repainted in Ottawa? After a few winters I find that the alloys start to get pitted.
__________________
Collelongo (AQ) BMW Club
Sometimes I wonder why I drive BMW's then I drive something else and the doubt disappears.
Slalom is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

Have you tried Meguiar's® Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner? Cheaper than repainting. I plan to repaint mine this summer. I'll let you know.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Slalom
First Lieutenant
 
Slalom's Avatar
 
Drives: 04 Z4, 07 328xiT,12 M3 week 46
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bern

Posts: 314
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
The cleaners are great, I agree. When I had access to private heated parking with a wash bay I used it about during winter as well. Since I now only have a regular garage the rims do not get special treatment in winter. My current car was bought second hand in the Laurentians. The rims, headlamps, grille and windshield all show the effects of the salt sand mix that is used on the highways there. In spring, I will polish the acrylic headlamp covers and replace the grille. Not much can be done about the windshield (not bad enough to require replacement).

Look forward to hearing about your experience in repainting the rims.
__________________
Collelongo (AQ) BMW Club
Sometimes I wonder why I drive BMW's then I drive something else and the doubt disappears.
Slalom is offline   Switzerland
0
Reply With Quote
      01-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
McGrumpy
Enlisted Member
 
McGrumpy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Posts: 41
iTrader: (3)

Ok I'll chime in too.

Anyone using those air scoops? There was someone selling them for about $40 bucks shipped. The price is right, I'm just wondering if I should bother?

I think the theory is there, but have yet to see anyone post any real numbers.
__________________
2007 328xi Black Sapphire Metallic / BMS PBX / K & N Filter / BMS Angel Eyes / OEM Blacklines / OEM M3 Spoiler / BMW Performance Grilles / VMR V710 19" Gun Metal /
McGrumpy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #7
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Smile

Only if you go fast enough (140 km/h) to scoop air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrumpy View Post
Ok I'll chime in too.

Anyone using those air scoops? There was someone selling them for about $40 bucks shipped. The price is right, I'm just wondering if I should bother?

I think the theory is there, but have yet to see anyone post any real numbers.
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
dvil9
Enlisted Member
 
dvil9's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hearth

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I hate the new 6 series. Looks to much like a GM car.

(Nine days without a post! I just had to put an end to this!)

L8R
dvil9 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 05:12 AM   #9
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Would you rather drive a SLS AMG?


Quote:
Originally Posted by dvil9 View Post
I hate the new 6 series. Looks to much like a GM car.

(Nine days without a post! I just had to put an end to this!)

L8R
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #10
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Would you rather drive a SLS AMG?
Ummm, probably. Its too bad the SLS doesn't have a 6MT.

We looked at the 7 series, and between the Panamera, S Class, and Lexus LS -- the BMW 7 series was the least impressive car; the Panny and S Class were the most impressive in contrasting ways.

7 series is a boat, the interior is to die IN c/o slitting one's wrists because its so depressing, and its kind of bland.

While the 5 series wasn't that impressive, it was the best in class (That mid-level luxury class is a rip off, its basically like buying a larger 3 series or larger C-class; at least at the level of the 7 series and Panamera, you get a much much nicer interior, seats, and in the case of the Porsche, handling to die for).

I think the 3 series and 1 series are the best cars that BMW makes.

Cars like the Z4, 6 series, SUVs -- this is not BMW's forte; their forte is 4 door sports sedans, that are 5-series or smaller.

The new 6 series looks pretty bland, like a 7 series without a roof; the last 6 series had character, now all BMW's look the same. Its a very safe design.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Wink

I agree that Porsche Panamera is the best bet here.
The other aspects of buying a car are depreciations and total costs of ownerships (TCO).
Mind you, I usually drive a car for at least 10 years before I decide to trade or buying a new one.
Back to the original topic, the 6 series are more like collectible items so BMW probably not too worry if they don't sell. From design with cost cutting perspective, one bill fits them all is the way to go these days.

================================================== ==============
Too bad we can't haggle that much here since the BMW dealers in Ottawa are very cozy as they have steady customers (diplomats and embassies).

I am babbling just to keep this Ottawa forum alive.




Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Ummm, probably. Its too bad the SLS doesn't have a 6MT.

We looked at the 7 series, and between the Panamera, S Class, and Lexus LS -- the BMW 7 series was the least impressive car; the Panny and S Class were the most impressive in contrasting ways.

7 series is a boat, the interior is to die IN c/o slitting one's wrists because its so depressing, and its kind of bland.

While the 5 series wasn't that impressive, it was the best in class (That mid-level luxury class is a rip off, its basically like buying a larger 3 series or larger C-class; at least at the level of the 7 series and Panamera, you get a much much nicer interior, seats, and in the case of the Porsche, handling to die for).

I think the 3 series and 1 series are the best cars that BMW makes.

Cars like the Z4, 6 series, SUVs -- this is not BMW's forte; their forte is 4 door sports sedans, that are 5-series or smaller.

The new 6 series looks pretty bland, like a 7 series without a roof; the last 6 series had character, now all BMW's look the same. Its a very safe design.
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #12
excoupe
Private
 
Drives: 323i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario 613

Posts: 57
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
Where do you guys go for winter tires? There's someone named "Marco" on Kijiji that seems to have a lot of stuff. Any experiences?
excoupe is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #13
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

I'm looking for indoor storage in the Orleans/Ottawa area. But, this isn't your traditional winter storage, I need it to start next month and last until August.

Any ideas? Heated, with power to run a trickle charger is preferred.
CdnE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #14
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Wink

The best among the worst:
http://gladwinselfstorage.com/boat-rv-auto-storage/

There won't be a place for a trickle charger. Just remove your battery and take it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
I'm looking for indoor storage in the Orleans/Ottawa area. But, this isn't your traditional winter storage, I need it to start next month and last until August.

Any ideas? Heated, with power to run a trickle charger is preferred.
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-30-2011, 06:56 PM   #15
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada

Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
The best among the worst:
http://gladwinselfstorage.com/boat-rv-auto-storage/

There won't be a place for a trickle charger. Just remove your battery and take it home.
Thanks, I'll check them out. I might just leave it in my unheated garage if I can't trickle charge.
CdnE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2011, 02:49 PM   #16
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Wink

This product is far better [and far cheaper] than the trickle charger:
http://www.megapulse.net/products/fi...eries-fab.html
Plus, no electrical outlet needed.

The bad news: you have to order directly from Australia.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
Thanks, I'll check them out. I might just leave it in my unheated garage if I can't trickle charge.
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
McGrumpy
Enlisted Member
 
McGrumpy's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ottawa, Ontario

Posts: 41
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by excoupe View Post
Where do you guys go for winter tires? There's someone named "Marco" on Kijiji that seems to have a lot of stuff. Any experiences?
I purchased my tires through TIRERACK.COM. I think I saved around $150-200 total. Very simple process via the internet and they were here in short order.
__________________
2007 328xi Black Sapphire Metallic / BMS PBX / K & N Filter / BMS Angel Eyes / OEM Blacklines / OEM M3 Spoiler / BMW Performance Grilles / VMR V710 19" Gun Metal /
McGrumpy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
I agree that Porsche Panamera is the best bet here.
The other aspects of buying a car are depreciations and total costs of ownerships (TCO).
Mind you, I usually drive a car for at least 10 years before I decide to trade or buying a new one.
Back to the original topic, the 6 series are more like collectible items so BMW probably not too worry if they don't sell. From design with cost cutting perspective, one bill fits them all is the way to go these days.

================================================== ==============
Too bad we can't haggle that much here since the BMW dealers in Ottawa are very cozy as they have steady customers (diplomats and embassies).

I am babbling just to keep this Ottawa forum alive.
Lets not forget that with all this easy money every 2nd civil servant is driving an Audi A4/3 Series.

They sure do get pissed when they see young people in a 335i! They really do need to relax.


The best is driving the Panamera downtown, they do not expect to see a 20 something in a Panny. It makes far too many other vehicles accelerate fast.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
clairvoyant
Major
 
clairvoyant's Avatar
 
Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 45°19′20″N, 75°50′0″W

Posts: 1,033
iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

Those "particular" civil servants need to get off their high horses soon because easy money won't last forever (rationalizations, budget cuts, the raise on the retirement age, etc, etc).
They will get pissed about things that are threatening their social and financial establishments.
What I heard from many friends in the states, Panny = $$$$ TCO (when warranties expire).
Have you seen/test-driven a Jaguar XFR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
Lets not forget that with all this easy money every 2nd civil servant is driving an Audi A4/3 Series.
They sure do get pissed when they see young people in a 335i! They really do need to relax.
The best is driving the Panamera downtown, they do not expect to see a 20 something in a Panny. It makes far too many other vehicles accelerate fast.
clairvoyant is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #20
dvil9
Enlisted Member
 
dvil9's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 325i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hearth

Posts: 35
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Got up today with the bright idea of going to the car wash (corner of Vanier & McConnell).
Ugh, so did the rest of Aylmer...line-up was long but was woth the wait, she's all clean and purty!
dvil9 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 04:01 PM   #21
TheRox
Colonel
 
TheRox's Avatar
 
Drives: 6mt
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Here and there

Posts: 2,312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Those "particular" civil servants need to get off their high horses soon because easy money won't last forever (rationalizations, budget cuts, the raise on the retirement age, etc, etc).
They will get pissed about things that are threatening their social and financial establishments.
What I heard from many friends in the states, Panny = $$$$ TCO (when warranties expire).
Have you seen/test-driven a Jaguar XFR ?
Meh, we weren't going for power, so I looked at the Jaguar XJ? the new one, that looks sleek. It looks kinda cool, interior is to die for...but its rear wheel drive, and still a Jaguar...good cruiser, just something not right about it. Its still a Jaguar. Other problem was no all-wheel drive.

Porsche is still Porsche. Trust me tho, this panny gets driven most of the time 10% below the speed limit

Panny is an amazing car, plenty good for the city and easy on gas too; but hard to tell how it is out of warranty, either way one expects to pony up with a performance car/Porsche...thats ok, its worth it.

The others cars that impressed were the S-class and Lexus LS (aka. S-class anonymous :P), the 7 was pretty bad! With cars like these including our 335's...best to buy them and then run them into the ground, we always have with all our cars.

Just let go of a 1991 honda accord not too long ago...amazing car, they don't make 'em that light anymore.
TheRox is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #22
cc_25
Private First Class
 
cc_25's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Did the same thing last week on Sunday when it was really nice out. Glebe Car Wash was full and had about 4 people parked down the street waiting to get in. Got the car all nice and shiny, then a about a day later came home to see a foot of snow on it. It least the snow was clean!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dvil9 View Post
Got up today with the bright idea of going to the car wash (corner of Vanier & McConnell).
Ugh, so did the rest of Aylmer...line-up was long but was woth the wait, she's all clean and purty!
cc_25 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST