E90Post
 


PYSPEED
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Ottawa Members Thread (#2)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2011, 08:07 AM   #441
laser99
Private
laser99's Avatar
Canada
0
Rep
68
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_25 View Post
Coded mine as well. Great guy, definitely send him a message if you need some coding done.
I can confirm that too.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2011, 09:02 AM   #442
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
19
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

Amen to that as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
I can confirm that too.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 11:19 AM   #443
rvladescu
335d
rvladescu's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
185
Posts

Drives: 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

I need some 3M transparent tape the same we put on the hood, bumper etc.
Need to buy a piece that I can cut
Any place you know in Ottawa Gatineau?
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #444
BDMBimmer
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
319
Posts

Drives: 2008 3 series
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairvoyant View Post
Amen to that as well.
Thanks for the kind words, I don't visit the boards that often anymore, makes me sad but I do get my PMs if anyone needs help or would like some coding done.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #445
MirelZ
New Member
MirelZ's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvladescu View Post
I need some 3M transparent tape the same we put on the hood, bumper etc.
Need to buy a piece that I can cut
Any place you know in Ottawa Gatineau?
i think canadian tire has some for sell no?

if not check out VIP TINT in gatineau, he might be able to sell you a piece

http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Quebec...t/3884677.html
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #446
MirelZ
New Member
MirelZ's Avatar
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 06 325xi
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Quebec

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMBimmer View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I don't visit the boards that often anymore, makes me sad but I do get my PMs if anyone needs help or would like some coding done.
PM sent


thx guys
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #447
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Hey all,

I've been around for a while with a leased E90, but just bought an '08 SGM E91, 328xi with sport and 6mt. I threw on my staggered 189's and like it. I'll post a pic when I take a good one.

Looking for a few things:

- roof racks to go between the factory rails
- oem splitters and hamann lip -OR- a hartge front lip
- H&R springs for a xi touring
- to borrow a Bentley for a couple of days

I have some small plans for the wagon, but nothing drastic. The most interesting might be the muffler I'm going to make out of an unused Flowmaster 50 series.

You guys ever do M&M on friday nights?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 07:13 PM   #448
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Hi everlast,
congrats on the new E91. I would have loved to order my car as an E91!

Hopefully others can help you for the mods you are looking for.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is M&M (other than a meat shop)?

Cheers

James

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Hey all,

I've been around for a while with a leased E90, but just bought an '08 SGM E91, 328xi with sport and 6mt. I threw on my staggered 189's and like it. I'll post a pic when I take a good one.

Looking for a few things:

- roof racks to go between the factory rails
- oem splitters and hamann lip -OR- a hartge front lip
- H&R springs for a xi touring
- to borrow a Bentley for a couple of days

I have some small plans for the wagon, but nothing drastic. The most interesting might be the muffler I'm going to make out of an unused Flowmaster 50 series.

You guys ever do M&M on friday nights?
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2011, 08:52 PM   #449
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
19
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

In the old days, we call it maintenance and modification. I don't know what they call these days.
We are due for E90 Ottawa chapter meet I suppose (yes, I haven't washed my car in a month). Let's see who has the dirties car. Name the place and time as usual....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
Hi everlast,
congrats on the new E91. I would have loved to order my car as an E91!

Hopefully others can help you for the mods you are looking for.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is M&M (other than a meat shop)?

Cheers

James
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 08:59 AM   #450
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Merivale & Meadowlands. Some of us BMW guys meet there and watch the muscle car guys make fun of the Honda guys. I've made a few good friends from there actually, combined with maxbimmer.com's ottawa section. I'm hoping this is the same!!

The wagon won't be on the road until my lease is returned, mid October and I just put the factory wheels back on the leased car so its not going any meets.. But I do have a turbo E30 that loves to go to parking lots and watch me drink coffee!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:06 AM   #451
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Click this link for the whole set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1102389...7627720625728/

One pic:

IMG_0603 by everIast, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #452
MarioP
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 323i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Rust proofing

Hey gang,

I bought a 2009 323i last year from Ottos. I know it is the bottom model but I really enjoy it. Will drive this one for another 3 years and will move to the 328i xdrive.

My question that I can get a straight answer to is should I rust proof?

Dealer tried to sell the package that I know is over priced. Salesman said not to bother. Web posts differ in opinion. Some state that BMW steel will last.

What do you guys do or recommend?

Mario
Ottawa
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:27 PM   #453
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioP View Post
Hey gang,

I bought a 2009 323i last year from Ottos. I know it is the bottom model but I really enjoy it. Will drive this one for another 3 years and will move to the 328i xdrive.

My question that I can get a straight answer to is should I rust proof?

Dealer tried to sell the package that I know is over priced. Salesman said not to bother. Web posts differ in opinion. Some state that BMW steel will last.

What do you guys do or recommend?

Mario
Ottawa
Are you asking if you should rust proof the 323i you will hand back in 3 years?
That's a no brainer. No, why bother.

I don't intend to rust proof my E90 I plan to keep for 8-10 years. I reserve the right to change my mind at a later date, but I kept my Audi for 8 years with no corrosion issues and no rust proofing.

I'm very glad to hear you are enjoying your 323i. Every 3 series I've driven has been a lot of fun.
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #454
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Click this link for the whole set:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1102389...7627720625728/

One pic:

IMG_0603 by everIast, on Flickr
Nice photo's. I can't believe how clean your car was / is for those shots?!
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #455
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns2000x View Post
Nice photo's. I can't believe how clean your car was / is for those shots?!
To fair, I just clay barred, polish, sealed and waxed it.

Both my '08's already have rust on fasteners, etc and where road rash has peened the paint from suspensions parts. I'm rust proofing my '08xi as I plan on keeping it for a number of years. On an older car, the body is always what makes a car desirable or not. 8 years of rust proofing is $900. I can be sure to get $900 more for a car that was rust proofed every year, IMO. Our Mini Cooper is also rust proofed yearly.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:22 PM   #456
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
19
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Cool

Rustproof only "delays" rust.

There is no straight answer here as mileage may vary, where you drive, etc, etc.

As long as you wash your car properly to prevent salt/calcium residues from sticking/building on your car, you don't need rustproofing.

I personally rustproof my car with Fari detailing (not yearly but probably once every three years. At $215 per treatment; It can't go wrong.
Don't make the same mistake as I did (new in town and new to the country).
I took it to Krown and they drilled wholes.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:30 PM   #457
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Not sure how much experience you have with body work, but rust forms inside the areas that you cannot get to without drilling holes. Holes are fine with me. Why can't you go wrong with $215 per treatment? If they're not getting the interior panels, then its done no good.

You often cannot clean these areas, such as the inside of a rocker or the upper inside of a door. For instance, doors often rust because salt water runs down the window, and accumulates inside the door. Krown does an excellent job of getting to those areas. I have an '88 that was krowned every year since early on, I've seen how well it works first hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #458
ns2000x
Converted
ns2000x's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
907
Posts

Drives: '11 E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Not sure how much experience you have with body work, but rust forms inside the areas that you cannot get to without drilling holes. Holes are fine with me. Why can't you go wrong with $215 per treatment? If they're not getting the interior panels, then its done no good.

You often cannot clean these areas, such as the inside of a rocker or the upper inside of a door. For instance, doors often rust because salt water runs down the window, and accumulates inside the door. Krown does an excellent job of getting to those areas. I have an '88 that was krowned every year since early on, I've seen how well it works first hand.
I'll pipe up then check out.
Why introduce holes in to panels?
Rust won't form on fully nickel plated panels without the introduction of a catalyst such as salt.

Drilling holes will simply void any original manufacture warranty claim and increase the access of water and contaminants to areas they need not be.
__________________

'11 BMW M3 E90 Jerez - Fox
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #459
clairvoyant
Major
clairvoyant's Avatar
No_Country
19
Rep
1,033
Posts

Drives: Bavarian Manure Wagon (BMW)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 4519′20″N, 7550′0″W

iTrader: (5)

Garage List
2007 335i  [2.62]
Exclamation

Believe it or not, I wasn't sold on that $215 per treatment.
I actually watched Mr. Patrick Farray rust-proofed my car.
First he washed the car thoroughly (wheel wells, trunk lips, etc, etc).
Then, he accessed all nooks and crannies in the car and sprayed the hell out of it. He actually removed all plastic covers to sprayed inside out.
Amazingly after two years, I checked the rocker panels and other parts, they were still oily.
FYI: I am rust paranoid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Not sure how much experience you have with body work, but rust forms inside the areas that you cannot get to without drilling holes. Holes are fine with me. Why can't you go wrong with $215 per treatment? If they're not getting the interior panels, then its done no good.

You often cannot clean these areas, such as the inside of a rocker or the upper inside of a door. For instance, doors often rust because salt water runs down the window, and accumulates inside the door. Krown does an excellent job of getting to those areas. I have an '88 that was krowned every year since early on, I've seen how well it works first hand.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 02:49 PM   #460
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

I hear ya on the rust paranoia.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #461
MarioP
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 323i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate your input. Any thoughts on the rust protection module?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 03:26 PM   #462
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
2
Rep
221
Posts

Drives: 2008 328xiT
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON

iTrader: (0)

Snake oil. Actually, snake oil would probably work better.

Just my opinion, but I've never seen any science that explains why they even *should* work, let alone proof they do.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST