E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes > Official Minnesota Chat Thread (#2)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
It's looking like Nick's car is too good for me .
My options are as follows, both are about the same price, opinions appreciated...

1. Jet black/ black dakota leather. Prem, Sport. 60k miles, will have a non bmw warranty for 36 months, 36k miles.
The car is in great condition, 1 owner, serviced at the same dealership, better condition than most i saw with half the miles. I really like the jet black, would like to murder it out.

2. Tiag/ black dakota leather. Prem, Sport. 40k miles, CPO.
Haven't seen this car in person yet, 2 owners, carfax shows a crash but it obviously couldn't have been too bad if they CPO'd it a year later.
I'm okay with the color, i think it will grow on me, but i was more set on AW, or JetBlack.

So those are my options, like i said, they're about the same price. I'll likely be getting one of the two this weekend. Pour on the opinions.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #46
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
The silver one sounds good and if it was CPO, then it probably got a bumper painted. My carfax will show a crash as well (I backed into a pole at 1100 miles). According to the dealer, to be CPO, it can only have a max. of one panel painted (and probably be under some monitary (sp) level of damage).

I'd probably rather have CPO over the 3rd party warranty. CPO is straight up BMW and if there are issues, there will be no question if the car will get fixed or not. There is something to be said about a car that's only had one owner and all the records are spot on. Tough call. I think the main issue is the HPFP which is obviously not a worry due to the factory warr. no matter what.

I'd really go over the CPO car with a fine tooth comb. Are either of these cars online so we can take a look?

Nick

EDIT: one more thing, if you can get some images or point us to what you're looking at, it's a good thing. Everyone here is passionate about these cars and know what to look for in a good BMW. I only really know about E9x cars but I know Gary has been around BMW's all his life and is also on his third E90x
Here is the Tiag one...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Here is the black one, no pics...
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #47
BrianMN
Colonel
43
Rep
2,429
Posts

 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (7)

Part of me really thinks Tiag is a very dull or mom-ish color. It seems so bland, not stylish nor badass unless it's complemented with tint/wheels/trim/diffusor. So my vote goes for the Black one. Lower miles is good, and you can get a 3rd party warranty when the time comes. Black E92s sure look good too
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:12 PM   #48
BSME90
Captain
Philippines
11
Rep
757
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MN

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 328xi  [4.50]
I'm with Brian with the blandness of Tiag. However, it could be a good thing so your car isn't so attention-getting. Why are you not keeping your 335 e90?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #49
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMN View Post
Part of me really thinks Tiag is a very dull or mom-ish color. It seems so bland, not stylish nor badass unless it's complemented with tint/wheels/trim/diffusor. So my vote goes for the Black one. Lower miles is good, and you can get a 3rd party warranty when the time comes. Black E92s sure look good too
I will be modding whichever one i get, matte black v710's (already on the e90), tint, matte grills, lowered, aero lip, just to start. The black one has the higher miles and the 3rd part warranty, the silver with the lower miles and the CPO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSME90 View Post
I'm with Brian with the blandness of Tiag. However, it could be a good thing so your car isn't so attention-getting. Why are you not keeping your 335 e90?
Lease is up on the e90, and i'm falling for the looks of the e92. And i don't need the extra two doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
I'd need to see pics of the black one.

How do these cars look when you look down the side? With the silver one, any panels not seem to match? No front plate holes (plus) and cold weather (plus). How are the tires on each one? Those run flats suck aside from the fact they won't go flat (they are expensive as hell as you know).

Nick
I can only speak for the black one, because i haven't seen the Tiag in person. The black one is in phenomena shape, a few little sratches as scuffs, and the interior is damn near flawless, you'd never know it has 60k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 11:47 PM   #50
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

I would still make a push for Nick's car, because of the condition.

Given the current weather and his car being RWD, there is a very good chance, the dealer might come close to the price of these other cars.

Of the two that you've posted, I would go for the black one for sure. The TIAG one is way too bland. The one owner aspect is also very attractive for the black one.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:09 AM   #51
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajvee View Post
I would still make a push for Nick's car, because of the condition.

Given the current weather and his car being RWD, there is a very good chance, the dealer might come close to the price of these other cars.

Of the two that you've posted, I would go for the black one for sure. The TIAG one is way too bland. The one owner aspect is also very attractive for the black one.
I'll certainly keep an open mind about Nick's car, however i've been looking for awhile and i've seen a big price gap in '07s with prem/sport, and loaded 08's as you would expect.

Yeah the black one really has my eye, love the color, love the condition it's in, just worried a little about the miles.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #52
prelude2perfect
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
372
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma

iTrader: (6)

I'd go for the black one. 36k mile warranty would be the biggest reason. It might have 20k more miles but with all the problems these cars have I would go for the one under a longer warranty. Plus it's a one owner and the color you want.
__________________


'07 E90 MT Sports Package l RB Turbos l JB4 G5 with Race Backend Flashl AA CP, BOV, and IC l Modified Injen DCI l Raceland 2.5" DP's l M2 Dual 2.75" Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #53
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude2perfect View Post
I'd go for the black one. 36k mile warranty would be the biggest reason. It might have 20k more miles but with all the problems these cars have I would go for the one under a longer warranty. Plus it's a one owner and the color you want.
The silver one has CPO warranty, is the CPO not that great?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #54
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
CPO is where it's at IMO. FYI: E92s require a slightly different offset in the rear for proper fitment.

Nick
I've been thinking about that, it should be pretty close with my et34 v710's...
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:53 AM   #55
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Anyone know the details on the CPO warranty? how many miles, how many months? I'm having trouble finding good info.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 07:28 AM   #56
prelude2perfect
First Lieutenant
5
Rep
372
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tacoma

iTrader: (6)

Oh, does CPO warranty bring you past 5 yrs/ 50k miles? I thought it would stay under the original warranty but, I'm clueless.
__________________


'07 E90 MT Sports Package l RB Turbos l JB4 G5 with Race Backend Flashl AA CP, BOV, and IC l Modified Injen DCI l Raceland 2.5" DP's l M2 Dual 2.75" Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #57
IRL-MN
Major
IRL-MN's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,130
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F30, '89 E30, '84 E24 Euro
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

The CPO warranty runs to 6yrs / 100k miles, so you basically extend the factory warranty by 2 yrs and 50k miles. It is not as comprehansive as the original 4yr / 50k mile warranty however.

Here is some info on how the cars are certified from the BMW NA website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ification.aspx
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 08:18 AM   #58
IRL-MN
Major
IRL-MN's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,130
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F30, '89 E30, '84 E24 Euro
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick.CBR View Post
EaEARARRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Gary, you wern't supposed to see that pic but I had to do it just to show that even a clean freak can't always win in this weather. I took the lady down to The Marquette hotel for New Years and the roads were being heavily salted due to the ice build up. Let's just say, it was a white knuckle experience driving that car with summer tires. I mean there was NOTHING there traction wise. Dumb on my part, I'll admit, but I really wanted to take the car out for our last date before I return her

Nick
I hear you! I've given up at this stage. Just when the roads dry a little, we get another inch of snow and 4 inches of salt on the roads

When are you leaving the car back?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #59
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRL-MN View Post
The CPO warranty runs to 6yrs / 100k miles, so you basically extend the factory warranty by 2 yrs and 50k miles. It is not as comprehansive as the original 4yr / 50k mile warranty however.

Here is some info on how the cars are certified from the BMW NA website:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ification.aspx
So basically if the car was titled in October of 2006, it's only good till October of 2012?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:22 AM   #60
IRL-MN
Major
IRL-MN's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,130
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F30, '89 E30, '84 E24 Euro
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
So basically if the car was titled in October of 2006, it's only good till October of 2012?
Correct, the CPO warranty would run to Oct 2012 or 100k miles, whichever comes first.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #61
M3x2
Private First Class
M3x2's Avatar
1
Rep
137
Posts

 
Drives: '11 M3 Jerez Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edina, MN

iTrader: (0)

I know you are getting sick of me/this, but I promise this is the LAST comment about MNBMW.

When you log in, click in the upper right hand box "show unread posts since last visit" or, better yet, bookmark that page as the one you go to to log on. It makes catching up MUCH easier. It's true that having so many threads can be in some ways more confusing than a single one, but content easier to filter, and when you use that feature, you can see what is up on each topic. OK, enuf!
__________________
'11 Jerez M3 sedan, MDCT, ZCP
'99 Hellrot M3 vert, twin-screw SC, other goodies

Last edited by M3x2; 01-04-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #62
chowbox
Private First Class
chowbox's Avatar
1
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 550i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eagan

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 E93 328i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
CPO > *

Just be sure you get a copy of the CPO inspection. We picked up a 07 e92 & found out 2 months later that we couldn't adjust the headlights up. It was this summer & I hadn't driven the car at night (her car). I went to move them up a smidge & they didn't move. Brought it back to Minnetonka where we bought it. They said that both of the headlight adjusters were physically broken & that we must gotten into an accident, not covered by warranty & it would be $3000 to fix.

So i raised holy hell with them. The car had 1000 miles on it since we picked it up. After ripping through the poor service adviser, was put on to the service manager & then to the sales manager. I got then to admit that they missed the fact that the headlights we not working properly in the CPO inspection.

They bought me some new lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #63
ajvee
Major
32
Rep
1,442
Posts

 
Drives: None
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: None

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowbox View Post
CPO > *

Just be sure you get a copy of the CPO inspection. We picked up a 07 e92 & found out 2 months later that we couldn't adjust the headlights up. It was this summer & I hadn't driven the car at night (her car). I went to move them up a smidge & they didn't move. Brought it back to Minnetonka where we bought it. They said that both of the headlight adjusters were physically broken & that we must gotten into an accident, not covered by warranty & it would be $3000 to fix.

So i raised holy hell with them. The car had 1000 miles on it since we picked it up. After ripping through the poor service adviser, was put on to the service manager & then to the sales manager. I got then to admit that they missed the fact that the headlights we not working properly in the CPO inspection.

They bought me some new lights.

I've read about many stories like this that give me little faith in the CPO process. Many owners have reported finding tunes in their CPO cars.

Personally, a CPO audi that I looked at didn't even have the ashtray cleaned out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #64
Jred22
Meat Puppet
Jred22's Avatar
United_States
21
Rep
1,126
Posts

 
Drives: 07 Jet Black 335i e92
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
The salesman for the silver 07 335i w/ 40k called me back and said they now have scheduled maintenance program covered with the CPO... However i'm just not falling for the Tiag like i am the Jet black.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #65
BrianMN
Colonel
43
Rep
2,429
Posts

 
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (7)

I have very little faith in the CPO inspection...and the 'average' BMW tech for that matter.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
chowbox
Private First Class
chowbox's Avatar
1
Rep
162
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 550i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Eagan

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2012 E93 328i  [0.00]
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jred22 View Post
The salesman for the silver 07 335i w/ 40k called me back and said they now have scheduled maintenance program covered with the CPO... However i'm just not falling for the Tiag like i am the Jet black.
Black is bitch'n when clean & scratch free, but jet black shows EVERYTHING!!!. If it was Sapphire metallic, i'd do it in a heartbeat though.

Our e92 is Tiag & seeing it's her's, it doesn't get get the TLC of my car, so AW or Tiag are the wise choice.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST