E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Oil filter cap function?

01-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #1
black330i

Drives: 330i

Oil filter cap function?

:happy Does anybody know if the oil filter cap play a role/function? Concerned: I'm missing the stalk and pole on the cap. I appreciate any comments, thanks!
      01-02-2011, 06:33 AM   #2
Chriztofor
Colonel

Drives: '06 325i Auto

Need pics? Not sure what you mean. If it is the cap that you remove in order to place oil in, you definitely need that! Not being a smart ass, but there are no extra parts on our cars.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Chriztofor is offline   United_States
      01-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel

By the way, welcome. Here are some useful links, hold out your hands:

1) Here is a link where you can find your owner’s manual (in case you lost it) and videos about your car http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

2) Here is a list of useful DIYs (Even if you don’t DIY as least you know what they do when they work on your car) http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721

3) This link is a must read if you are thinking about modding your car, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66970

4) If you are thinking about extended warranties take a look here, especially at post #20 http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ded+warranties

5) If you have an iphone (android app coming soon), download the bimmerpost app http://www.bimmerpost.com/tag/bimmerpost-app/

Again Welcome and Happy Motoring!
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
      01-02-2011, 07:48 AM   #4
ENINTY
Banned

Drives: 2006 325i Sport

So, I give you a straight answer (eventhough ChriztoFor gave some good advice), the oil filter cap stem is very important for proper flow of the oil though the oil filter. You should not operate your car until you get a new oil filter cap. Seriously.

How did you manage to loose it in the first place?

Last edited by ENINTY; 01-02-2011 at 09:04 AM.
      01-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
Chriztofor
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
So, I give you a straight answer (eventhough ChriztoFor gave some good advice), the ol filter cap stem is very important for proper flow of the oil though the oil filter. You should not operate your car until you get a new oil filter cap. Seriously.

How did you manage to loose it in the first place?
Ok, now I get it. Yeah, important part, Entity is correct. Also, how did you lose that?!
Attached Images

01-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #6
pruettfan
Major

Drives: 2006 330i

If you are missing those pieces you need to park your car until you get them replaced. You are talking about critical pieces that ensure the cars oil is properly filtered and those pieces missing could effect the oil pressure also. Too much or too little oil pressure is a really bad thing.
      01-03-2011, 02:33 AM   #7
black330i

oil filter cap stem

I'm sorry if I did not do a good job of explaining my issue. Thanks so much for the excellent explanation and advice. The pics are great! btw, I recently purchased the 330i (my first), pre-owned and did my first oil change and noticed the stem was missing. I'm wondering if I can purchase the stem by it's self.
      01-03-2011, 02:57 AM   #8
black330i

Thank you Chriztofor for the great links!! I actually was thinking about warranties and reading a lot of DIY's.
      01-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
ceb
NHTSA Nazi

Drives: 335ix

Are we talking about the oil filter cap or about the oil cap (where you pour in additional oil?)
      01-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
Chriztofor
Colonel

^ Oil filter cap. See pic above.
      01-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
black330i

got a new oil filter cap!

Hey guys, I got a new oil filter cap and got it installed. I could already see a difference. The rpm's during idle is now stable. It actually functions more normally during cold starts. I didn't realize how much the stalk and pole on the cap play a role. Thank you so much to all who took the time to help me out!!!!
      01-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #12
ENINTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by black330i View Post
Hey guys, I got a new oil filter cap and got it installed. I could already see a difference. The rpm's during idle is now stable. It actually functions more normally during cold starts. I didn't realize how much the stalk and pole on the cap play a role. Thank you so much to all who took the time to help me out!!!!
Black330i, I really have to know; if you've never seen the inside of the cap, how did you know it was missing the stem in the first place?
      01-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #13
ceb
NHTSA Nazi

Quote:
Black330i, I really have to know; if you've never seen the inside of the cap, how did you know it was missing the stem in the first place?

Right. Which prompted my question.
      01-07-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
ENINTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Right. Which prompted my question.
My bet is he broke it off...
      01-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
ceb
NHTSA Nazi

Quote:
My bet is he broke it off...
Yep, and probably the reason he hasn't posted back.
      01-08-2011, 08:41 AM   #16
ENINTY
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
Yep, and probably the reason he hasn't posted back.
Yeah, he should man up about it. I got to thinking that if the previous owner broke the stem off he would have just stuck it back in the center hole of the oil filter housing (and it would have probably been still effective). I'm also wondering if there are a few little bits of black plastic floating around the engine somewhere...