E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 18" or 19" for an e90?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-05-2011, 12:58 AM   #23
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Hmm..maybe a mixture of both...but I don't take the car to the track...and as other posters who live in my area have said, the roads suck...except for the most expensive toll highway in the world, highway 407 (rates go up again Feb 1st. mail your local mpp, oh wait you can't since the government cant do anything about it......)

end rant. I dont drive on the 407 all the time, and many roads in the greater toronto area are terrible...so maybe I'm leaning towards 18s...but I really want 19s...sigh...this is a tough decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Are you going for performance or “looks”?

In the May 2010 issue of Car and Driver there was an interesting article entitled, "Plus-Size Models - Testing the Performance Effects of Up sizing Wheels and Tires." See: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept. C&D summarized their test as follows: "The 19" wheels definitely look the coolest. But the 17 and 18-inch setups offer a better compromise of grip, acceleration, price, and ride harshness...If it's acceleration you're after, stick with the smaller, lighter wheels and tires.”

I don't agree with C&D's assertion that the 19" wheels "look the coolest" though. My M3 Coupe came with the optional M Double Spoke 19s, and after driving it for a while I mounted the OEM M Double Spoke 18s instead. I think the performance and looks are much better than the 19s. IMO, anything bigger than 18" wheels on a BMW 3-Series looks gaudy.

18" wheels will ride better, handle better, accelerate better, and brake better than heavier 19” wheels. The truth is that heavier wheels = increased unsprung weight at the corners = reduced acceleration and degraded braking. 18" tires are more widely available and less expensive than 19" tires, which is an added bonus when you need to shop for new tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #24
MMachines
BMW Owner
Canada
7
Rep
428
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (1)

19" really aren't bad. Why not take a ride with someone and see for yourself what the ride would be like. IMO after having 19's seeing 18's of the same style look really small. Some 18 look good tho (kol for example with the work's and volks). Are you willing to give up the RFT's?
__________________
2006 330i & 2008 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #25
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
I once saw an interview with an F1 team engineer who was asked what size wheels the team would run if it wasn’t for the 330mm (13 inch) limit. He said the team would probably run 430mm (17 inch) wheels, but no larger than 460mm (18 inch). I can't remember the source though.
Like to see the source for that one. Suspension would have to be changed entirely. The Tires have become a huge part of their suspension. Thats why temp and pressures are so important for them.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:52 AM   #26
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDiCandido View Post
Are you going for performance or “looks”?

In the May 2010 issue of Car and Driver there was an interesting article entitled, "Plus-Size Models - Testing the Performance Effects of Up sizing Wheels and Tires." See: http://www.caranddriver.com/features...sted-tech_dept. C&D summarized their test as follows: "The 19" wheels definitely look the coolest. But the 17 and 18-inch setups offer a better compromise of grip, acceleration, price, and ride harshness...If it's acceleration you're after, stick with the smaller, lighter wheels and tires.”

I don't agree with C&D's assertion that the 19" wheels "look the coolest" though. My M3 Coupe came with the optional M Double Spoke 19s, and after driving it for a while I mounted the OEM M Double Spoke 18s instead. I think the performance and looks are much better than the 19s. IMO, anything bigger than 18" wheels on a BMW 3-Series looks gaudy.

18" wheels will ride better, handle better, accelerate better, and brake better than heavier 19” wheels. The truth is that heavier wheels = increased unsprung weight at the corners = reduced acceleration and degraded braking. 18" tires are more widely available and less expensive than 19" tires, which is an added bonus when you need to shop for new tires.
While this is true, there are lots of 19" wheels that are lighter than some 18" wheels. Depends on how much $ you want to spend. I think the Porsche GT3 and GT3RS come on 18s. Pretty sure they race on 18" in Porsche cup.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2011, 09:54 AM   #27
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
Hmm..maybe a mixture of both...but I don't take the car to the track...and as other posters who live in my area have said, the roads suck...except for the most expensive toll highway in the world, highway 407 (rates go up again Feb 1st. mail your local mpp, oh wait you can't since the government cant do anything about it......)

end rant. I dont drive on the 407 all the time, and many roads in the greater toronto area are terrible...so maybe I'm leaning towards 18s...but I really want 19s...sigh...this is a tough decision...
I'm in Toronto on 19s and they are fine. Tires are more expensive to replace.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 02:57 PM   #28
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
19" really aren't bad. Why not take a ride with someone and see for yourself what the ride would be like. IMO after having 19's seeing 18's of the same style look really small. Some 18 look good tho (kol for example with the work's and volks). Are you willing to give up the RFT's?
I don't know if I can give up RFTs. I agree with everyone - RFTs are harsh and the ride is much more stiff..I have my cheap iPike 409s on right now and although they are noisier (also smaller 17s) you can definitely feel the difference vs RFTs.

However, in the summer I do drive quite far and I'm afraid of getting a flat tire...though I could get a flat while I drive around the GTA with non-RFTs...I do have CAA+ which gets me towed to a distance of almost 200kms so perhaps non-RFTs could work for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #29
Doctor T
Private First Class
Doctor T's Avatar
4
Rep
191
Posts

 
Drives: AW E90 LCI M-Sport N55 RWD 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I prefer 18"s on E90
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #30
02themax
Captain
02themax's Avatar
14
Rep
948
Posts

 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calgary, AB

iTrader: (6)

Depends on the rim, some 18s look great on E90. I've got 19s click my sig for a bigger picture the ride is better than 18s and rft.
__________________

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 12:00 AM   #31
BavFan_08
Dreamer
BavFan_08's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
827
Posts

 
Drives: Retired: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: T.O. Canada

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02themax View Post
Depends on the rim, some 18s look great on E90. I've got 19s click my sig for a bigger picture the ride is better than 18s and rft.
That's a great look.

What other style would be good for an E90 in 19s? Style 313s?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:25 AM   #32
BenTrovato
Driver
BenTrovato's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,576
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

18's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I should have went with 19's" ...

19's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I'm so happy I went with 19's!"
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 11:31 AM   #33
MOAB
Major
MOAB's Avatar
Canada
11
Rep
1,077
Posts

 
Drives: Porsche & BMW
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
18's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I should have went with 19's" ...

19's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I'm so happy I went with 19's!"
thank God you cleared this up for everyone.
__________________
March-November - '09 C4S (PDK, Akrapovic)
December-February - '00 323 (only mod - snow tires)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 01:53 PM   #34
soursamo
Lieutenant
soursamo's Avatar
Canada
10
Rep
543
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada

iTrader: (13)

19's are my vote. My car came with them and it fits the wheel wells perfectly.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #35
Z06Driver
Private First Class
1
Rep
124
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

I've been running 19s on my cars in Toronto with no problems....you'll be fine with yours and your car will look better with them too.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 06:13 PM   #36
MMachines
BMW Owner
Canada
7
Rep
428
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 330i, 2008 M3
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Downtown Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
I don't know if I can give up RFTs. I agree with everyone - RFTs are harsh and the ride is much more stiff..I have my cheap iPike 409s on right now and although they are noisier (also smaller 17s) you can definitely feel the difference vs RFTs.

However, in the summer I do drive quite far and I'm afraid of getting a flat tire...though I could get a flat while I drive around the GTA with non-RFTs...I do have CAA+ which gets me towed to a distance of almost 200kms so perhaps non-RFTs could work for me.
I know what you're saying and I've debated this myself and came to the conculsion that if I'm far away and an rft goes there's a good chance I'll be driving to a place to spend the night and not finishing the journey if it's outside business hours, so if I'm going further than 400kms I'll just store an extra in the trunk and get CAA to change it for me rather than carrying the rest of the tools.
__________________
2006 330i & 2008 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #37
F30JetsFan
Private
F30JetsFan's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
90
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 Sportline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Winnipeg, Canada

iTrader: (2)

I too was worried about 18s vs 19s. I live in Winnipeg and the roads here are the worst in Canada. I went with staggard 19's and don't notice much of a difference in ride quality compared to my stock 17s. Drove all last summer/fall with no issues. From all the photos I've seen on this site 19's look the best on e90 anyways.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:10 AM   #38
Rampage9
Second Lieutenant
Rampage9's Avatar
Canada
3
Rep
267
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Caledon Ont.

iTrader: (3)

I think it all depends on what you like, what look you're going for, and what is your intent with the car. Me, I'm leaning towards 18"s.

If anyone has a set of 193m's, I'm interested......
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #39
OwnAge
Brigadier General
OwnAge's Avatar
Armenia
57
Rep
4,176
Posts

 
Drives: LCI 328i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toronto. Newmarket.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2009 328i  [4.49]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
18's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I should have went with 19's" ...

19's if every time you walk up to your car you want to be saying "I'm so happy I went with 19's!"
lol so true. Well i never even wanted of putting 18s. I had 19s on my e46 too. Every time i look at 3 with 18s I always wonder... dont they see how ugly 18s are..... I can spot the size difference from miles away lol
__________________
3000k HID Fogs | Mtech 3300 AE | Alufelgen CS7 19" F 8.5, R 9.5 ET30 | ContiSport, F 235/R 275 | H&R Sport Springs | CF Perf. T.1 Trunk Spoiler | CF BMW Perf. Splitters | BMW Perf. Exhaust | iPhone4 Doc | PBX | K&E Filter/Charcoal Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #40
marakbai
Second Lieutenant
marakbai's Avatar
Canada
6
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Send a message via ICQ to marakbai Send a message via AIM to marakbai Send a message via MSN to marakbai Send a message via Yahoo to marakbai Send a message via Skype™ to marakbai
I'm kinda thinking the same thing for the summer, keeping my 17's as winters ... question though since I bought the tire insurance thing, even if I buy RFT's, as long as it's not from the dealer it's not covered correct? Effectively my insurance would only cover my winters then? Just need to make sure.
__________________
AW 2009 BMW 335i xDrive
Automatic; Executive; Audiophile
AND
SG 2010 BMW X3 30i xDrive
Automatic; Executive
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #41
Nash335
First Lieutenant
Nash335's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
360
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 BMW 335i MSport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Id go 18" if your tracking a lot or 19" like me - 19" look sick
__________________
Nash335 - 2010 335i e92 MSport 19" Style 225 BMW Performance Black Grills H&R Spacers Michelin PSS KW V2 Afe DCI + Scoops AR Design DP Active FMIC Active Custom CP Active BOV BMS OCC Spec Stage 3+ Aquamist HPS4 + Howerton 2 Cobb Custom PTF Tune 500 HP Club!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #42
lvzz
Registered
0
Rep
3
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 323i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I vote for 18" on a sedan. 18" shows restrained that you have good taste.

I'm also looking to upgrade my wheels and am wondering if anyone has a recommendation on where to buy replica or reconditionned wheels?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
42
Rep
3,607
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavFan_08 View Post
I don't know if I can give up RFTs. I agree with everyone - RFTs are harsh and the ride is much more stiff..I have my cheap iPike 409s on right now and although they are noisier (also smaller 17s) you can definitely feel the difference vs RFTs.

However, in the summer I do drive quite far and I'm afraid of getting a flat tire...though I could get a flat while I drive around the GTA with non-RFTs...I do have CAA+ which gets me towed to a distance of almost 200kms so perhaps non-RFTs could work for me.
The trouble with RFT is if you are far away (as you said) you can only go 50 kms...then what? Much harder to get and wait for an FRT to be sent out. Tire cant be fixed. A regular tire can be readily replaced and or fixed. I'll NEVER understand RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #44
OEMconcept
OEMconcept's Avatar
Canada
34
Rep
1,037
Posts

 
Drives: in the fast lane
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Canada/U.S

iTrader: (10)

On an E90 19's look best and on an E92 20's look best IMHO.

PM us for all your wheel needs!
__________________


Follow OEMconcept on Facebook | LIKE US!
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST