E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Do I have a waterpump failure??

07-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #1
thatg
Captain
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E93 335i

Do I have a waterpump failure??

Hey guys I noticed I was smelling a burning smell a week or 2 ago coming from my 335. I thought maybe a plastic bag got stuck on the exhaust and ignored it for a bit. Then my car told me I was low on coolant. It went away then came back. Noticed my car has no coolant left.

How do you guys identify a waterpump failure or just the car being low(not having any) coolant? Noticing a dark liquid slow leak as well. Thinking i may have a bad gasket. all seems to be happening around the coolant area of the engine. Thanks for any help.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 07:58 PM   #2
335e92tx
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Was 07-335e92 - Now '13 335IS

No engine malf alerts? Check for shadow codes for thermostat..

Apr 14 2017 - '13 335IS replaced the '07 E92
13IS mods MHD 7.1 - DCI - MFactory LSD - soon ATM IC
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 10:21 PM   #3
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Since the water pump is electric, generally it's either working or not. Mine went from perfectly fine to engine limp with no power in less than a mile. A dead water pump or thermostat would not explain the loss of coolant. There's a lot of it and it has to be going somewhere. Check for codes but looks for leaks first. remove the bottom pan and you should see where it's leaking from.

PROcede V5Rev3+Openflash stacked, PWM Meth, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Koni's w/Swifts, Rogue, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 11:16 PM   #4
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

These waterpumps have a tendency to crack along a plastic seam. I'm on my 4th. Pump would function fine, but it would leak. Some days worse than others. Remove lower plastics to see, but sounds like your waterpump is leaking due to crack in the housing.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 11:35 PM   #5
dauble2k5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
When my WP went out, I started hearing the fans running at full speed, then got the half engine warning light. I was around 80k miles when it finally let go.

You might have a small crack in the expansion tank; it's common on these cars. I replaced mine a year before the WP died. I was checking my coolant level every morning and topping it off when necessary.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 01:46 AM   #6
dyezak
General of the Armies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I've had 3 different coolant leaks:

1 and most common was the water pump itself...mentioned and explained already
2 and odd was my radiator end tank. Dang thing had a hairline crack and I replaced the entire radiator
3 and rare was the heater crossover pipe. Cracked as well.

Just remove your splash shield, fill up with coolant, let the car idle and look for leaks.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 03:36 AM   #7
thatg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyezak View Post
I've had 3 different coolant leaks:

1 and most common was the water pump itself...mentioned and explained already
2 and odd was my radiator end tank. Dang thing had a hairline crack and I replaced the entire radiator
3 and rare was the heater crossover pipe. Cracked as well.

Just remove your splash shield, fill up with coolant, let the car idle and look for leaks.
Will do, thanks for the advice guys. ordered coolant from ECS will let the car sit till it shows.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #8
weq92f
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335 6mt

When mine let go, there was no warning ( 90k miles ). Within like 4 minutes the car went from good to dead. The computer warned me that something bad was wrong and it would not let the motor put out any power. Can't remember if it told me to turn off the engine or if the the computer did that for me. The result was a tow to my driveway. ~400 dollars later I had new pump/thermostat housing/thermostat. The install was a big PITA.

-weq
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #9
Jarronbwall
318 turns, 11 miles, keep up
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Agreed with already stated comments. Mine went at 85k miles. Engine fan sounded like a hurricane. My car went into limp mode and full throttle was the speed of a moped. Check out the DIY page!! There are some great explanations to help you replace it.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #10
cpeter753
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i w/ M-Sport Package

Mine just went out about a month ago. 95k on the clock. I was just casually driving along after stopping for gas, tried to give it some throttle, no power, fans ran hard and then it went into limp mode.

I don't recall any odd smells and my windows were down.
Current Ride: Le Mans Blue 2010 e92 335i M-Sport 6MT // Cobb // BMW Performance Exhaust // AFE DCI Stage 2 // ER CP // Gloss Black BMW Performance Spoiler Rep // BMW Performance Black Grills // 19" Black Avant Garde m359s // TGS HPB LED Interior Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #11
thatg
Captain
Rep

car drives fine, no signs of any leaks, car seems to either be eating coolant or i might have a slow leak somewhere. I still notice the burning smell if the engine is running and car is sitting somewhere. Will probably have to check for a crack in the valve cover or it may be the gasket.

Does anyone know where these cracks usually appear on an easy way to tell if you need a gasket replacement? I can see some old oil sitting around the edges of the valve cover

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #12
BLKSAPPE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09,e92,335i,6m,nav,sprt,cw,19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
car drives fine, no signs of any leaks, car seems to either be eating coolant or i might have a slow leak somewhere. I still notice the burning smell if the engine is running and car is sitting somewhere. Will probably have to check for a crack in the valve cover or it may be the gasket.

Does anyone know where these cracks usually appear on an easy way to tell if you need a gasket replacement? I can see some old oil sitting around the edges of the valve cover
If you have. Burning smell the pass side of valve cover is the side that would leak and burn oil because it would be landing directly on the exhaust manifold and heat shield should be clearly visible with naked eye made need flashlight if low light .

But the the only way to have a fluid give off a burning smell or smoke is by fluids hitting extremely hot areas like exhaust or turbos so those are areas you need to check for a burning smell.

Coolant smell would be sweet and or steam and it can happen anywhere you have a leave if cars warm

Year and mileage would help too
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:41 AM   #13
thatg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post
If you have. Burning smell the pass side of valve cover is the side that would leak and burn oil because it would be landing directly on the exhaust manifold and heat shield should be clearly visible with naked eye made need flashlight if low light .

But the the only way to have a fluid give off a burning smell or smoke is by fluids hitting extremely hot areas like exhaust or turbos so those are areas you need to check for a burning smell.

Coolant smell would be sweet and or steam and it can happen anywhere you have a leave if cars warm

08 68k miles. i removed the pass side wheel and the downpipe has oil all over it around the o2 sensors, big build up on the underbody cover as well

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:44 AM   #14
BLKSAPPE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09,e92,335i,6m,nav,sprt,cw,19"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKSAPPE92 View Post

08 68k miles. i removed the pass side wheel and the downpipe has oil all over it around the o2 sensors, big build up on the underbody cover as well
It sounds like a valve cover gasket it's a 10yr old car but low mileage and that doesn't matter rubber gets old and cracks with time but if you do replace it replace the $370 valve cover also just because it is plastic and gets brittle with heat and will eliminate other problems right after repair
But it could be something related to the turbo
Appreciate 0