E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Testing N54 starter with everything in place?

09-22-2016, 06:17 PM   #1
scorp508
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Question Testing N54 starter with everything in place?

Is it possible to test the starter w/o removing the intake manifold on a 2007 N54? My 335xi decided to no-start last night while in a parking lot at a local store. I thought it was just a dead battery as the window on the BMW battery was black rather than green and after a while connected to a running vehicle w/jumper cables it started again. Oddly however the headlights didn't dim at all when trying to start last night which may have been a clue there was more going on.

I replaced the battery today as I think at least one cell was dead due to the inspection window being black. While all of the electronics come on and I can move the gear selector there is no clicking from the starter at all when trying to start. There is a general hum (fuel pump?) for a couple seconds and that is all.

I'm hoping I can get a multimeter on the starter to see if power is being sent to it or if I am hitting some other kind of ignition interrupt. Or the hammer test.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
thakid22
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E60 535i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
Is it possible to test the starter w/o removing the intake manifold on a 2007 N54? My 335xi decided to no-start last night while in a parking lot at a local store. I thought it was just a dead battery as the window on the BMW battery was black rather than green and after a while connected to a running vehicle w/jumper cables it started again. Oddly however the headlights didn't dim at all when trying to start last night which may have been a clue there was more going on.

I replaced the battery today as I think at least one cell was dead due to the inspection window being black. While all of the electronics come on and I can move the gear selector there is no clicking from the starter at all when trying to start. There is a general hum (fuel pump?) for a couple seconds and that is all.

I'm hoping I can get a multimeter on the starter to see if power is being sent to it or if I am hitting some other kind of ignition interrupt. Or the hammer test.

Thanks in advance.

Before you get started, disconnect/bypass the IBS system on top of the battery in the trunk and see if that solves your problem. These can go screwy and cause a no power to the starter situation. I forget the specifics, but you can Google or search the forums to figure out how to bypass IBS.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 07:45 AM   #3
FCobra94
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp508 View Post
Or the hammer test.
This.

Get someone to give it love taps with a stick while cranking to see if that makes a difference.
Summer: Sonic Tuning ST100 - 18x8.5 ET35 - Conti DWS 245/40/18 - 10/15 F/R spacers
Winter: Style 159 - 17x8 ET34 - Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/50/17 - 10/15 F/R spacers
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #4
scorp508
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Thanks for the IBS system tip. I found the wire and disconnected it but sadly it made no difference. It was quieter outside today while trying to start the car. I think I hear the starter plunger clicking out into place on some start attempts yet nothing else happens. On some attempts I don't hear the plunger at all. I have to travel for work soon so it'll be a week before I can mess with it again.
Appreciate 0