E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #2267
BMWsky
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,244
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
guys any of seen this code: P2FA3 when read on ap? What does it mean? Ap says coding missing.

Like in the other thread, it is a perfectly harmless code. Everyone who has Cobb installed throws this code unless you've installed the new v3 Beta map. No need to worry about it, you're fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #2268
Alan l.
Brigadier General
Alan l.'s Avatar
123
Rep
4,435
Posts

 
Drives: LCI M-Sport 550i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (8)

I'm just curious are there any Giac logs out there that comes close to what we have for the AP? I would be curious to see what the Giac tune is really doing.

Alan
__________________

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Lip | BMW Performance Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Exhaust | ACSSprings | MORR VS8.2 Rims 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires |||More Photos of my car here|||
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:41 AM   #2269
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
92
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
I'm just curious are there any Giac logs out there that comes close to what we have for the AP? I would be curious to see what the Giac tune is really doing.

Alan
here you go:
Attached Images
 
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:45 AM   #2270
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Even with GIAC they're not managing to hold that boost up higher past 5300rpm...it seems that the N54 ROM is pretty tricky to crack in those upper RPMs in terms of holding higher boost past 5300 rpm...13psi is the most I've seen with any flash at 6k rpm
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:48 AM   #2271
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
they make up for it with some pretty advanced timing
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:13 AM   #2272
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
they make up for it with some pretty advanced timing
Not really, the stock tune actually has more timing "advance" than that...changing that seems to be the easy part as well as AFR targetting which the flashes do the best in terms of tuning...top end boost definitely poses a significant challenge and I can't wait to see what/how COBB will manage it...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #2273
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
68
Rep
5,724
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Well, more than cobbs (only tune I have ran logs with). Forgive my ignorance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #2274
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Well, more than cobbs (only tune I have ran logs with). Forgive my ignorance.
well you've run the stock "tune" at first for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:45 AM   #2275
tscdennab
Banned
54
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Not really, the stock tune actually has more timing "advance" than that...changing that seems to be the easy part as well as AFR targetting which the flashes do the best in terms of tuning...top end boost definitely poses a significant challenge and I can't wait to see what/how COBB will manage it...
I don't think GIAC or any flash tuner has any issue with top end boost. They just tune the engine at the limit of detonation (probably a bit safer than that) for a given octane, and that combination of boost and advance they found to be the maxium knock-free combination. I don't think you can run high boost and high ignition advance at the same time at that RPM. With piggybacks they can raise the boost to like 16psi on top but the ECU pulls the ignition advance to lower values by detecting knock, I don't think I saw logs with 16psi on top and 14 degrees of advance (with pump gas).
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:54 AM   #2276
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
I don't think GIAC or any flash tuner has any issue with top end boost. They just tune the engine at the limit of detonation (probably a bit safer than that) for a given octane, and that combination of boost and advance they found to be the maxium knock-free combination. I don't think you can run high boost and high ignition advance at the same time at that RPM. With piggybacks they can raise the boost to like 16psi on top but the ECU pulls the ignition advance to lower values by detecting knock, I don't think I saw logs with 16psi on top and 14 degrees of advance (with pump gas).
Obviously high boost+high timing+high rpm (i.e. aggressive tuning) requires high octane and the DME will do what its "programmed" to do or NOT to do as a response to set requested parameters. It is most certainly a challenge for any N54 flash to arbitrarily raise boost past 5300rpm, it is not easy at all from what I've seen with a Stage 3 alpha map I'm testing. They are working on it and I'm sure they'll figure it out but its not simple at all like it is with the piggies. Some of the logic is buried deep into the N54 ROM and requires a significant amount of time and wizardry almost to find and reprogram. Its easy enough to raise load to stock+X but there are many things to take into account as the rest of the DME logic will just tell your settings to F* off and close the throttle blade not allowing that boost to go through to the engine...Digging out the "why" is the tricky part

To you I'd suggest not making bold assumptions like that especially when they're incorrect...having said that, i've been guilty of the same in the past so I'm also working on it
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #2277
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Like in the other thread, it is a perfectly harmless code. Everyone who has Cobb installed throws this code unless you've installed the new v3 Beta map. No need to worry about it, you're fine.


THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Glad to hear it.
But i ve got another problem now, yesterday i've tried 93 oct v203 v2 map and got fuel pump plausibility code! And the i-drive started to show 4:4,dsc,ebd,awd malfunction! So i got back to 91 oct and everything was ok!

Anyone experienced the same???
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #2278
BMWsky
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,244
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Glad to hear it.
But i ve got another problem now, yesterday i've tried 93 oct v203 v2 map and got fuel pump plausibility code! And the i-drive started to show 4:4,dsc,ebd,awd malfunction! So i got back to 91 oct and everything was ok!

Anyone experienced the same???

Yes...with that exact same map. I cleared the code, went to 2.02 v2 map and went to the track last week...no problems. I got home and flashed the 3.0 maps and bingo...fuel pump code. I don't get it with any of the 2.02 maps, just 2.03 and 3.0. Weird.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:09 AM   #2279
tscdennab
Banned
54
Rep
1,811
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Europe

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW  [3.12]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Obviously high boost+high timing+high rpm (i.e. aggressive tuning) requires high octane and the DME will do what its "programmed" to do or NOT to do as a response to set requested parameters. It is most certainly a challenge for any N54 flash to arbitrarily raise boost past 5300rpm, it is not easy at all from what I've seen with a Stage 3 alpha map I'm testing. They are working on it and I'm sure they'll figure it out but its not simple at all like it is with the piggies. Some of the logic is buried deep into the N54 ROM and requires a significant amount of time and wizardry almost to find and reprogram. Its easy enough to raise load to stock+X but there are many things to take into account as the rest of the DME logic will just tell your settings to F* off and close the throttle blade not allowing that boost to go through to the engine...Digging out the "why" is the tricky part

To you I'd suggest not making bold assumptions like that especially when they're incorrect...having said that, i've been guilty of the same in the past so I'm also working on it
My thoughts were based on what power can the piggybacks (at their stock settings) obtain compared to flashes. If you take a stock JB4 it makes the same power as the GIAC Stage 2 even on the highest maps, with the boost and ignition curves very similar (I checked this with a friend of mine). Of course, this can be altered with bypassing safety resistors, etc. but to me it means that BMS found out that those boost/ignition settings are the highest safe settings, after years of playing with the N54 engine. It's probably not a coincidence that GIAC found out the same settings as being optimal.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:21 AM   #2280
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
My thoughts were based on what power can the piggybacks (at their stock settings) obtain compared to flashes. If you take a stock JB4 it makes the same power as the GIAC Stage 2 even on the highest maps, with the boost and ignition curves very similar (I checked this with a friend of mine). Of course, this can be altered with bypassing safety resistors, etc. but to me it means that BMS found out that those boost/ignition settings are the highest safe settings, after years of playing with the N54 engine. It's probably not a coincidence that GIAC found out the same settings as being optimal.
Not talking power at all, i'm talking boost at top end...think we're talking about different things here...let's move on..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #2281
tomob63
Captain
tomob63's Avatar
7
Rep
628
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to tomob63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!! Glad to hear it.
But i ve got another problem now, yesterday i've tried 93 oct v203 v2 map and got fuel pump plausibility code! And the i-drive started to show 4:4,dsc,ebd,awd malfunction! So i got back to 91 oct and everything was ok!

Anyone experienced the same???


how did you like v203 v2 map btw?
I put it on yesterday (went from v203 91 octane map), and I'm not feeling it. Prefer the v203 93 map over v2. Boost coming up much later in pedal travel; good for city driving and perhaps mileage, but the more aggressive onset later on in pedal travel doesn't feel natural. Not linear enough.
__________________
2009 335i
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:13 PM   #2282
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Yes...with that exact same map. I cleared the code, went to 2.02 v2 map and went to the track last week...no problems. I got home and flashed the 3.0 maps and bingo...fuel pump code. I don't get it with any of the 2.02 maps, just 2.03 and 3.0. Weird.
Nice to hear that i was afraid i'm the only one!!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:21 PM   #2283
BMWsky
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,244
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
Nice to hear that i was afraid i'm the only one!!
I'm wondering if it truly is the FP or if others are experiencing the same issues. When I threw the CEL and "reduced power" warning, I turned off the car, cleared the code, changed the tune and drove the heck out of the car with no issues. It only acts up when I start up the car, not when I've been driving it around and only on the 2.03 v2 and Beta 3.0 maps. Doesn't do it stock or on the 2.02 maps. Weird.

I took it to an indy shop owned by a former BMW Master Tech and he couldn't find anything wrong. I suppose I could have BMW do a leakdown test for some peace of mind, but don't want to pay for it...guess I'm not that desperate yet.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 08:16 PM   #2284
Tranic335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (1)

Sweet I had Cobb AP on my Evo, since I traded it in for the 335i happy to know that you guys are also supporting the n54 platform. Can't wait to save enough money to be able to get me one.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #2285
Tyler0630
Private First Class
2
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: e90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hawaii

iTrader: (0)

I posted some videos earlier in this thread about waste gate rattle only when Cobb was installed. I'm happy to report all issues are gone with the august firmware change

Thank you Cobb




Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #2286
bmwm3redblack
Captain
bmwm3redblack's Avatar
14
Rep
855
Posts

 
Drives: BMW ///M3 E46, BMW 335XI
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: e13 osl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
I'm wondering if it truly is the FP or if others are experiencing the same issues. When I threw the CEL and "reduced power" warning, I turned off the car, cleared the code, changed the tune and drove the heck out of the car with no issues. It only acts up when I start up the car, not when I've been driving it around and only on the 2.03 v2 and Beta 3.0 maps. Doesn't do it stock or on the 2.02 maps. Weird.

I took it to an indy shop owned by a former BMW Master Tech and he couldn't find anything wrong. I suppose I could have BMW do a leakdown test for some peace of mind, but don't want to pay for it...guess I'm not that desperate yet.
At first i was thinking that my hpfp gone,but after i reinstalled tune everything was allright even during hard accelerations

Don't wanna by new hpfp... Do you know how much is it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #2287
BMWsky
Major
United_States
15
Rep
1,244
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm3redblack View Post
At first i was thinking that my hpfp gone,but after i reinstalled tune everything was allright even during hard accelerations

Don't wanna by new hpfp... Do you know how much is it?
It's covered under warranty for 10 years or 120,000 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 08:33 AM   #2288
JStang
N54 ADDICT
JStang's Avatar
48
Rep
3,043
Posts

 
Drives: FBO E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler0630 View Post
I posted some videos earlier in this thread about waste gate rattle only when Cobb was installed. I'm happy to report all issues are gone with the august firmware change

Thank you Cobb

Nice! My AP should be delivered by Thursday and I was pretty concerned about the waste gates rattling. I can't wait to get this installed
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i cobb, 335i cobb, 535i cobb, accessport n54, bmw cobb, bmw cobb tuning, cobb 135i, cobb 335i, cobb 535i, cobb ap, cobb bmw, cobb n54, cobb tuning bmw, cobb tuning n54, cobb tuning n55, flash n54, flash n55, n54 accessport, n54 cobb, n54 cobb tuning, n54 flash, n54 flash tune, n55 cobb, n55 flash, n55 flash tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST