E90Post
 


GetBMWParts
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2012, 02:26 AM   #3279
rader1
Banned
36
Rep
2,197
Posts

Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
Haha, I love the different car forums' names for different parts. How are "DP's" different from an "exhaust"? DP's are part of the exhaust system from the turbo's back.

Downpipes, midpipes, catbacks, axlebacks... all exhaust parts.

Anyway, carry on.

ps. Cobb, still very much looking forward to ATR's release.
You have a point. However, performance wise, DPs are a world apart from a catback.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #3280
Sleeper
.
Sleeper's Avatar
2
Rep
218
Posts

Drives: 335i > X5 50i > X5///M
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North

iTrader: (0)

^I wasn't talking about performance at all, just the weird nomenclature used on this forum for exhaust parts haha.

That said, I found that the significant weight difference between my OEM catback and my aftermarket catback definitely made my car 'feel' more powerful. Obviously that just a function of weight loss and not actually WHP increase, but it was still nice .
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #3281
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
AWD Addict's Avatar
38
Rep
2,513
Posts

Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
You have a point. However, performance wise, DPs are a world apart from a catback.


I think he's just talking about terminology, and the comments in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithiral67 View Post
Exhaust and DPs are two different things.

Downpipes have the primary cats which are very restrictive at the turbos and need to be replaced for stage 2.

The secondary cats and the mufflers (referred to exhaust for the purposes here) are not very restrictive and dont limit you to run stage 2.
A Cat-Back is part of the exhaust system, as is anything else after the manifold (including the hot side of the turbo). What I think mithiral was saying is a Catback and DPs are two different things.

That said, there's certainly some conflicting information on that page. One person is saying the dp cats are so restrictive, they "need" to be replaced for the Cobb Stage 2 tune, and others (JStang & Brey 335) are saying an upgrade is relatively meaningless, as the stock setup has pretty favorable flow already.

Last edited by AWD Addict; 01-10-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #3282
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
98
Rep
7,369
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post


I think he's just talking about terminology, and the comments in this post.



A Cat-Back is part of the exhaust system, as is anything else after the manifold (including the hot side of the turbo). What I think mithiral was saying is a Catback and DPs are two different things.

That said, there's certainly some conflicting information on that page. One person is saying the dp cats are so restrictive, they "need" to be replaced for the Cobb Stage 2 tune, and others (JStang & Brey 335) are saying an upgrade is relatively meaningless, as the stock setup has pretty favorable flow already.
dps are the bottleneck on the exhaust. Those are the first to be replaced. The stock exhaust after the dps is fine.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by MOTIV) - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #3283
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
72
Rep
5,729
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
I think there is still confusion, I have updated my original post.

On this site, exhaust and DPs are generally referred to as two separate things. Yes, the DPs are a part of the exhaust, but on this site, almost 95+% of the time that someone refers to the exhaust, they are only referring to the catback portion of the exhaust. Hence, when someone says an aftermarket exhaust isnt necessary for stage 2+, they mean the cat back portion only. You really should have catless DPs for stage 2+

So when Jstang and Brey335 say that an exhaust isnt needed, they mean an upgraded secondary cats and mufffler.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #3284
rader1
Banned
36
Rep
2,197
Posts

Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post


I think he's just talking about terminology, and the comments in this post.
yeah, but on this platform the seperation of "DP" and "exhaust" are very much deserved.
If i was talking to a fellow N54 owner and they said they had aftermarket exhaust i wouldn't assume they had aftermarket DPs.
and the power difference of the DPs are why they are usually listed seperatley from a cat back.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #3285
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
72
Rep
5,729
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Yea, the n54 is the first car I have ever modded and as such, researched modding. Now that I am looking at other platforms, I keep looking for the separation without luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #3286
bboy8282
First Lieutenant
United_States
6
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pasadena, California

iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to bboy8282
Just curious if any knows if cobb is working on a "on the fly map change"...i think this would be an amazing feature to have...sometimes i wish i had this feature so i could change it to valet mode when i drive somewhere and realize i may have to valet my car and dont wanna have to park the car and wait 10mins to switch it and then vice versa to get it back to its original tune
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:27 AM   #3287
rader1
Banned
36
Rep
2,197
Posts

Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboy8282 View Post
Just curious if any knows if cobb is working on a "on the fly map change"...i think this would be an amazing feature to have...sometimes i wish i had this feature so i could change it to valet mode when i drive somewhere and realize i may have to valet my car and dont wanna have to park the car and wait 10mins to switch it and then vice versa to get it back to its original tune
Yep, they are working on it. They've got stage 1+, ATR/ATP, race gas/big turbo maps and who knows what else on the list also. They've got a lot of good things coming our way, we've just got to be patient. After what we've seen, we know they can deliver. So just give 'em some time.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #3288
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
75
Rep
2,474
Posts

Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 530d xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Yep, they are working on it. They've got stage 1+, ATR/ATP, race gas/big turbo maps and who knows what else on the list also. They've got a lot of good things coming our way, we've just got to be patient. After what we've seen, we know they can deliver. So just give 'em some time.
That's interesting news, as the ability to switch maps on the fly is something that I like very much about my current GIAC setup. If COBB were able to replicate that, I would be quite pleased.

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #3289
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Pardon my ingnorance but what is likely to be required for Stage 1+...DCI only?

I'm soon to upload the COBB Stage 1 to my car but what I'd like to know is, if it flashed up "unrecognised ROM", what happens then? Does the car stay with its stock map so that I can drive it or is the stock map stored on the AP rendering my car useless until I can send them the info they need to make the AP work?
On a side note, how would I go about obtaining the ROM and sending it to COBB so that they could do this? This may not happen but it's good to be prepared.

Thinking of the future, how does COBB deal with the addition of catless DP's and blocking out the codes/warning light? Is this mapped out on Stage 2?

Last edited by Cozy; 01-11-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:45 AM   #3290
Bash
First Lieutenant
Bash's Avatar
3
Rep
395
Posts

Drives: E92-335i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beirut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Pardon my ingnorance but what is likely to be required for Stage 1+...DCI only?

I'm soon to upload the COBB Stage 1 to my car but what I'd like to know is, if it flashed up "unrecognised ROM", what happens then? Does the car stay with its stock map so that I can drive it or is the stock map stored on the AP rendering my car useless until I can send them the info they need to make the AP work?
On a side note, how would I go about obtaining the ROM and sending it to COBB so that they could do this? This may not happen but it's good to be prepared.
Stage 1+ FMIC is required.

When unrecognised ROM the installation doesnt happen and your car will still run the same, at that point the AP will tell you what to do and it downloads your car's ROM. Then using the AP manager you get the file and send to COBB. Easy
__________________

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:56 AM   #3291
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Stage 1+ FMIC is required.

When unrecognised ROM the installation doesnt happen and your car will still run the same, at that point the AP will tell you what to do and it downloads your car's ROM. Then using the AP manager you get the file and send to COBB. Easy
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 06:11 AM   #3292
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
98
Rep
7,369
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Pardon my ingnorance but what is likely to be required for Stage 1+...DCI only?

I'm soon to upload the COBB Stage 1 to my car but what I'd like to know is, if it flashed up "unrecognised ROM", what happens then? Does the car stay with its stock map so that I can drive it or is the stock map stored on the AP rendering my car useless until I can send them the info they need to make the AP work?
On a side note, how would I go about obtaining the ROM and sending it to COBB so that they could do this? This may not happen but it's good to be prepared.

Thinking of the future, how does COBB deal with the addition of catless DP's and blocking out the codes/warning light? Is this mapped out on Stage 2?
if you check on COBB site there are info in how to handle unrecognized rom. With catless dps just load stage2 . that takes care of the Cel/SES light.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by MOTIV) - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #3293
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Thanks enrita. I've read that's there's a possibility I might get the SES light on with just the Stage 1, in this case I believe I do a code delete via the AP and it shouldn't return.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #3294
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
69
Rep
5,025
Posts

Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Thanks enrita. I've read that's there's a possibility I might get the SES light on with just the Stage 1, in this case I believe I do a code delete via the AP and it shouldn't return.
It will keep returning just not straight away.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #3295
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaihaX View Post
It will keep returning just not straight away.
Really? Why would the SES keep illuminating only for Stage 1? I believe it should only do this if I installed catless DP's without flashing stage 2?

I'll be flashing Stage 1 on otherwise stock car.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #3296
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
98
Rep
7,369
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Really? Why would the SES keep illuminating only for Stage 1? I believe it should only do this if I installed catless DP's without flashing stage 2?

I'll be flashing Stage 1 on otherwise stock car.
you will get the SES light on stage 1 ONLY if you run catless dps (possibly with catted dps as well).
If you run however dps than i see no point running stage 1 since stage 2 is DONE for dps.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by MOTIV) - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:24 AM   #3297
Cozy
Major
Cozy's Avatar
United Kingdom
38
Rep
1,492
Posts

Drives: E82 135i
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, England

iTrader: (0)

Misunderstanding I think . My car is stock, nothing aside from the COBB that I am installing shortly. I read a couple of old posts that stated that after the initial COBB Stage 1 install (on stock car) where the warning light repeatedly flashes during the process (as they are meant to), the SES remained on for no apparent reason. A code scan and delete appeared to solve for both parties and never came back, although it was not mentioned what the code was.

Thanks for clearing up my questions, looking forward to installing .
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #3298
RaihaX
Major General
RaihaX's Avatar
Australia
69
Rep
5,025
Posts

Drives: 08' 135i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Australia, Perth

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Really? Why would the SES keep illuminating only for Stage 1? I believe it should only do this if I installed catless DP's without flashing stage 2?

I'll be flashing Stage 1 on otherwise stock car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamJay View Post
Misunderstanding I think . My car is stock, nothing aside from the COBB that I am installing shortly. I read a couple of old posts that stated that after the initial COBB Stage 1 install (on stock car) where the warning light repeatedly flashes during the process (as they are meant to), the SES remained on for no apparent reason. A code scan and delete appeared to solve for both parties and never came back, although it was not mentioned what the code was.

Thanks for clearing up my questions, looking forward to installing .
Ah cool assume you meant you had catless dp and you are going to use stage 1
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:39 AM   #3299
fatbuoy
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Austin

iTrader: (0)

Catless

Hey all,

New member here and new 335 owner. Love the car and the forum! Since we are on a COBB thread, I have a quick question about DPs. I just took delivery of an AP, but have only played with the S1 Sport so far. Need to change plugs and will then go to aggressive. BUT-I know myself well, and will want more. S2 next! So on to my question...should I go catted or catless? I'm sure this has been debated in numerous threads, but I wanted to hear the answer from the COBB runners please.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #3300
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
98
Rep
7,369
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuoy View Post
Hey all,

New member here and new 335 owner. Love the car and the forum! Since we are on a COBB thread, I have a quick question about DPs. I just took delivery of an AP, but have only played with the S1 Sport so far. Need to change plugs and will then go to aggressive. BUT-I know myself well, and will want more. S2 next! So on to my question...should I go catted or catless? I'm sure this has been debated in numerous threads, but I wanted to hear the answer from the COBB runners please.
depends on many things. It has nothing to do with cobb. for their stage 2 is both catted and catless allowed.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by MOTIV) - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i cobb, 335i cobb, 535i cobb, accessport n54, bmw cobb, bmw cobb tuning, cobb 135i, cobb 335i, cobb 535i, cobb ap, cobb bmw, cobb n54, cobb tuning bmw, cobb tuning n54, cobb tuning n55, flash n54, flash n55, n54 accessport, n54 cobb, n54 cobb tuning, n54 flash, n54 flash tune, n55 cobb, n55 flash, n55 flash tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:56 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST