E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #5171
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
I have VRSF DPs, Helix FMIC, ER CP + Forge DVs sitting in my basement, the install is getting scheduled as we speak
Shaweet
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #5172
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Shaweet
Yea, I've spent the past week cursing UPS + the weather. Now I just need to find some free time so I can surrender my car for a few hours.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 11:25 AM   #5173
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
Yea, I've spent the past week cursing UPS + the weather. Now I just need to find some free time so I can surrender my car for a few hours.
To save money you should just do the FMIC and CP yourself. It shouldn't take more than 3 hours and is pretty easy to do.

The DPs are a PITA
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #5174
BMWsky
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
To save money you should just do the FMIC and CP yourself. It shouldn't take more than 3 hours and is pretty easy to do.

The DPs are a PITA

+1. CP and FMIC really aren't that bad once you get used to working in tight spaces. I looked at the DP's and knew instantly that wasn't happening with me under the car. My local tech did the install and gave me the precious gift of a few extra hours time.
BMWsky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #5175
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
 
Pseudo Nim's Avatar
 
Drives: fast, sometimes slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: i am a citizen of the world

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
+1. CP and FMIC really aren't that bad once you get used to working in tight spaces. I looked at the DP's and knew instantly that wasn't happening with me under the car. My local tech did the install and gave me the precious gift of a few extra hours time.
Out of curiosity... what danger, if any, does one run by running the Stg2+FMIC Aggressive map on a car with DPs, intakes, but no actual FMIC? On a everyday drive situation vs track situation? Is it a question of more power being delivered more aggressively until heat sets in and then a major drop of power for as long as the engine doesn't cool down (vs. less aggressive power delivery over a longer period of time), or is it something more?
__________________
Pseudo Nim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #5176
BMWsky
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Out of curiosity... what danger, if any, does one run by running the Stg2+FMIC Aggressive map on a car with DPs, intakes, but no actual FMIC? On a everyday drive situation vs track situation? Is it a question of more power being delivered more aggressively until heat sets in and then a major drop of power for as long as the engine doesn't cool down (vs. less aggressive power delivery over a longer period of time), or is it something more?

IIRC, Cobb said the stock FMIC is pretty restrictive from a flow perspective.

I personally know of someone locally who ran Stage 2+ without upgraded FMIC on the street and he was throwing codes pretty regularly once he started romping on it. On the track he went back to Stage 2 and all was well. Ironically, I'm the one having issues with Stage 2+ and I have all supporting mods.
BMWsky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #5177
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
 
Pseudo Nim's Avatar
 
Drives: fast, sometimes slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: i am a citizen of the world

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
IIRC, Cobb said the stock FMIC is pretty restrictive from a flow perspective.

I personally know of someone locally who ran Stage 2+ without upgraded FMIC on the street and he was throwing codes pretty regularly once he started romping on it. On the track he went back to Stage 2 and all was well. Ironically, I'm the one having issues with Stage 2+ and I have all supporting mods.
Interesting. The car in question throws no codes and is overall happy as long as 93+ octane is used. I've seen it throw some codes a while back, but a swapped injector fixed everything. I guess when the guy takes it to the track, I'll tell him to try 2+ and if it doesn't work, go to 2 I was making sure no "really bad stuff" will happen.
__________________
Pseudo Nim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:39 PM   #5178
BMWsky
Major
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

Posts: 1,244
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
Interesting. The car in question throws no codes and is overall happy as long as 93+ octane is used. I've seen it throw some codes a while back, but a swapped injector fixed everything. I guess when the guy takes it to the track, I'll tell him to try 2+ and if it doesn't work, go to 2 I was making sure no "really bad stuff" will happen.
Run it past the folks at Cobb first as they said the FMIC really allows them to tune aggresively.
BMWsky is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:43 PM   #5179
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
Run it past the folks at Cobb first as they said the FMIC really allows them to tune aggresively.
STage 1 plus is more aggressive than stage 2. FMIC is VERY important.
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 12:45 PM   #5180
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
 
Pseudo Nim's Avatar
 
Drives: fast, sometimes slow
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: i am a citizen of the world

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
STage 1 plus is more aggressive than stage 2. FMIC is VERY important.
That's fair enough, I'm just trying to establish in what way, being a n00b and all. Question of heat, power, permanent engine damage? That stuff.
__________________
Pseudo Nim is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #5181
enrita
Major General
 
enrita's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

Posts: 7,323
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
That's fair enough, I'm just trying to establish in what way, being a n00b and all. Question of heat, power, permanent engine damage? That stuff.
You will probably have constant ignition correction (if you dont run high octane) and the turbos will have to work harder.
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
enrita is offline   Sweden
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #5182
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
That's fair enough, I'm just trying to establish in what way, being a n00b and all. Question of heat, power, permanent engine damage? That stuff.
With running Stage 2+ on a car that only meets the requirements for Stage 2, you'd prob go into limp mode before doing any serious, permanent damage. On the other hand, if you were running Stage 1 and tried to run Stage 2 without DPs, you'd prob do serious damage to the turbos running them on piping that is too restrictive for high boost.
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #5183
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,468
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post
You make it sound like I'm the only one that thinks you're being an asshole.

^^Straight from your visitor messages.... Interesting

Not sure who you're buying from, but buy your gas (if possible) from a Top Tier Gasoline Retailer (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html). The gas stations listed here are held to a standard that ensures the quality of the octane is legit, regardless of where you're buying it from.
You can make whatever assumption you want. You were wrong in your "debated" point, and refuse to own it. Whatever you think that makes me, perhaps with some thought you'll figure out what it makes you.

As for why you think I'm an a-hole, I went back and read my posts. I asked perfectly legitimate questions, without any snarkyness, and you replied with insults at me. I'd suggest you go back and read the record bud. I didn't start anything, and my math and points were all correct. So far, all that's really clear to me is you ahve no idea what toluene is or does, how common it is in standard pump gas, how long it's been used as a motorhead octane booster, or anything about the truth of 16oz bottles of octane booster.

Not sure why you're worried where I buy gas. But if you're assuming only low grade gasoline suppliers use toluene, you'd again be wrong. 40% of all toluene production is used as a gasoline additive. Shell, Exxon Mobile and BP for example, all use toluol in their blends to meet octane targets.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #5184
dfv2
STiGuy
 
dfv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 458
iTrader: (3)

CN notes of 131 (non-n00b setting) pages:

misfires = spark plugs, coils, or possibly injectors (coding or hardware) - this is not a cobb issue

run the map in accordance with your mods, same goes for octane from a tier 1 station

yes you can throw some e85 in it to calm down timing corrections, no it wont make more power (unless you were losing some due to timing corrections)

ATR = vaporware, protuners are sceeered of non-stg1 cars

n55 eta = no clue, I got $5 on never.

/CN, bump for cobb on that "once a day" thing they joked about!!
__________________
//ecg//
dfv2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 04:48 PM   #5185
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

What does ATR have to do with protuners?

Sigh.
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 04:50 PM   #5186
Zeph
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i 6MT SGM CR/BD
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Southeast USA

Posts: 1,405
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Zeph Send a message via Yahoo to Zeph
I also live in Alabama and I have noticed that adding race gas to the mix seems to help the car run smoother and stronger. I mixed some 100 octane (ethanol free, detergent free, pure "gas") with some 93 octane to achieve an approximate 96-97 octane mix and I trapped at 114 mph at the drag strip. I went back a couple of months later with just regular 93 and was only trapping 110 (I do blame a little on the heat... but still it is a load based tune unless I was hitting the boost limit). I run stage 2+ aggressive. I also tried the new beta maps and actually dropped to 108/109 mph. Put 3.01 back on and immediately car ran 110 again. I am avoiding the beta maps for now. With regular 93 (almost always Shell, occasionally Chevron) I get the oscillations at lower RPM's when I floor it... especially in like 4th gear. With race gas I noticed no oscillations. I do have all new injectors and plugs (maybe 4 months ago, less than 5k miles on them).

I think the Cobb stg 2+ aggressive map is slightly too much for the 93 we have, and the summer heat definitely seems to contribute to that issue. If i am even considering racing or going to the track I go add about 5 gallons of 100 octane race gas to my tank. It is almost like in Texas they have 93.5 and here we have 92.5 and so I try to have at least 95 octane as insurance if nothing else... both to satisfy the tune and for heat.

Zeph
Zeph is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #5187
benzy89
Banned
 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

Posts: 2,396
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Addict View Post
You can make whatever assumption you want. You were wrong in your "debated" point, and refuse to own it. Whatever you think that makes me, perhaps with some thought you'll figure out what it makes you.

As for why you think I'm an a-hole, I went back and read my posts. I asked perfectly legitimate questions, without any snarkyness, and you replied with insults at me. I'd suggest you go back and read the record bud. I didn't start anything, and my math and points were all correct. So far, all that's really clear to me is you ahve no idea what toluene is or does, how common it is in standard pump gas, how long it's been used as a motorhead octane booster, or anything about the truth of 16oz bottles of octane booster.

Not sure why you're worried where I buy gas. But if you're assuming only low grade gasoline suppliers use toluene, you'd again be wrong. 40% of all toluene production is used as a gasoline additive. Shell, Exxon Mobile and BP for example, all use toluol in their blends to meet octane targets.

Whatever, I really am not one to pick fights over the internet and get laptop muscles. We're all COBB users & want the best performance from our cars without blowing them. If you go back, BlackBB6 & AU335i both agreed that the NOS race formula octane booster is 60 points (ignoring the quality or impact it has). The Top Tier Gas thing wasn't for since clearly you know octane & how to bump it up with authentic additives
benzy89 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #5188
dfv2
STiGuy
 
dfv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 458
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
What does ATR have to do with protuners?

Sigh.
I'll connect those two dots for you!! If ATR was out, the community would be pushing the use of the AP for more heavily modded cars. We would be sharing alternative fuel maps, remote tuning, finding and reporting flaws, and pushing the hardware market to deliver cost effective turbo options. We would also be having some intelligent discussion about this platform (for once). This is in stark contrast to the mild showings from protuners who do have access to the ATP suite. You do realize ATR is essentially ATP freeware, lite... right?

I'm spoiled, I came from subie roots where the availability of opensource tuning (and ATR) was literally at the heart of the platform. Just hoping for more of the same here but losing my wood over it!
__________________
//ecg//
dfv2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 07:51 PM   #5189
rader1
Banned
 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

Posts: 2,197
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
I'll connect those two dots for you!! If ATR was out, the community would be pushing the use of the AP for more heavily modded cars. We would be sharing alternative fuel maps, remote tuning, finding and reporting flaws, and pushing the hardware market to deliver cost effective turbo options. We would also be having some intelligent discussion about this platform (for once). This is in stark contrast to the mild showings from protuners who do have access to the ATP suite. You do realize ATR is essentially ATP freeware, lite... right?

I'm spoiled, I came from subie roots where the availability of opensource tuning (and ATR) was literally at the heart of the platform. Just hoping for more of the same here but losing my wood over it!
Then go get protuned.

I'm in the process of having FBO+93 and FBO+ meth ATP maps. Apparently there was a bug with the software/ my ROM(and the distance I live from the shop isn't helping) and its taking a little longer than expected.
rader1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 08:03 PM   #5190
3-Serious
Lieutenant
 
Drives: AP e92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New york

Posts: 456
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Then go get protuned.

I'm in the process of having FBO+93 and FBO+ meth ATP maps. Apparently there was a bug with the software/ my ROM(and the distance I live from the shop isn't helping) and its taking a little longer than expected.
Im having my car protune soon as well. What exactly is adjusted when the car is protune? Just out of curiosity.
__________________
Cobb JR Tune, HFS-4, DCI, AMS Intercooler, Vishnu CP, Forge DV's, AR DP's, RPI exhaust, AR OCC, BMW STS, Spec stage 3+ clutch, CDV delete, H&R Coil overs, Quaife LSD, DefiV Lock down kit, WOTbox.
3-Serious is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #5191
Supracg135
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Potomac

Posts: 48
iTrader: (0)

I havent updated in a while I've been using the v202 alternate v2 throttle maps, generally for you guys which v3 maps are you running/like most?

Sorry I'm sure theres been a lot of posts about this on the thread its just hard to search through..just wondering if there is a general consensus on a favorite
Supracg135 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-31-2012, 09:24 PM   #5192
Brey335i
Brigadier General
 
Brey335i's Avatar
 
Drives: e46 ///M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 4,737
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
I'll connect those two dots for you!! If ATR was out, the community would be pushing the use of the AP for more heavily modded cars. We would be sharing alternative fuel maps, remote tuning, finding and reporting flaws, and pushing the hardware market to deliver cost effective turbo options. We would also be having some intelligent discussion about this platform (for once). This is in stark contrast to the mild showings from protuners who do have access to the ATP suite. You do realize ATR is essentially ATP freeware, lite... right?

I'm spoiled, I came from subie roots where the availability of opensource tuning (and ATR) was literally at the heart of the platform. Just hoping for more of the same here but losing my wood over it!
Barely anyone here has gone to get Protuned yet. They can't provide results when there are none to provide. And I would like to argue that there are few members who know enough on here to actually make good use of ATR.

If you want to discuss tooning, then why don't you go get Protuned? There have been some updates from certain tuning shops, but they themselves admitted that they hadn't had many if any FBO cars come by.
Brey335i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i cobb, 335i cobb, 535i cobb, accessport n54, bmw cobb, bmw cobb tuning, cobb 135i, cobb 335i, cobb 535i, cobb ap, cobb bmw, cobb n54, cobb tuning bmw, cobb tuning n54, cobb tuning n55, flash n54, flash n55, n54 accessport, n54 cobb, n54 cobb tuning, n54 flash, n54 flash tune, n55 cobb, n55 flash, n55 flash tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST