E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #5677
timtech
Lieutenant
timtech's Avatar
10
Rep
516
Posts

 
Drives: 335
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Over there

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
Can someone confirms my log for stg 1 agressive are fine ? Running shell v-power 91 + nos octane booster. From my understanding its running fine but making sure.

Just rename file to .zip and included 1 long regular driving run, 1 short driving run and a 3rd only. Thanks for help !
It would be best to make a good solid wide open throttle 3rd gear run from ~2500 - 6800 log.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:45 AM   #5678
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtech View Post
It would be best to make a good solid wide open throttle 3rd gear run from ~2500 - 6800 log.
Will do tonight was beeing a little more conservative. Guyz don't check regular driving as well ? I remember in my civic needing to do regular driving log as well to see knock and afr and all those. Anything more I should log ? Will do a 3rd speed run tonight then.
__________________
2009 E92 335xi - MT6 - Black Sapphire Met - Coral Red - Sport & Cold Weather Pkg - VMR VB3 Gunmetal - Aero Lip - CF Trunk Spoiler - LUX V4 - BMS CDV & Clutch Stop - BMS OCC - RD Front Strut Brace - COBB AP V3 - COBB Catback Exhaust - Injen DCI - ER CP w/ Tial BOV - Daily Driven
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #5679
rader1
Banned
34
Rep
2,197
Posts

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
Can someone confirms my log for stg 1 agressive are fine ? Running shell v-power 91 + nos octane booster. From my understanding its running fine but making sure.

Just rename file to .zip and included 1 long regular driving run, 1 short driving run and a 3rd only. Thanks for help !
It's best to do a couple logs of 2nd-3rd gear and then a couple logs of just 3rd gear.

When logging normal, low load driving Cobb retains pretty much stock BMW logic. Its only when requesting higher load do you learn how the car is liking the tune.

Here's a little DIY to get you started
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #5680
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
It's best to do a couple logs of 2nd-3rd gear and then a couple logs of just 3rd gear.

When logging normal, low load driving Cobb retains pretty much stock BMW logic. Its only when requesting higher load do you learn how the car is liking the tune.

Here's a little DIY to get you started
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
I was looking for that thread !!!

From my understanding my logs 2-3 looks good but i'm posting them here to make sure ! Just rename to .csv Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: txt stg1agressive2-3.txt (34.7 KB, 46 views)
File Type: txt stg1adressive2-3(2).txt (27.2 KB, 39 views)
__________________
2009 E92 335xi - MT6 - Black Sapphire Met - Coral Red - Sport & Cold Weather Pkg - VMR VB3 Gunmetal - Aero Lip - CF Trunk Spoiler - LUX V4 - BMS CDV & Clutch Stop - BMS OCC - RD Front Strut Brace - COBB AP V3 - COBB Catback Exhaust - Injen DCI - ER CP w/ Tial BOV - Daily Driven
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 09:49 PM   #5681
rader1
Banned
34
Rep
2,197
Posts

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
I was looking for that thread !!!

From my understanding my logs 2-3 looks good but i'm posting them here to make sure ! Just rename to .csv Thanks
Your logs look pretty good. You had some timing corrections on the first pull during the shift but that's not too bad and on the second pull the corrections disappeared on all but one cylinder. Corrections during a shift aren't unheard of and may not be in reaction to a real knock event.
Cobb AFRs are always strong but yours are some of the strongest i've seen. The AFR trace is as flat as machined straight edge lol
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #5682
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Your logs look pretty good. You had some timing corrections on the first pull during the shift but that's not too bad and on the second pull the corrections disappeared on all but one cylinder. Corrections during a shift aren't unheard of and may not be in reaction to a real knock event.
Cobb AFRs are always strong but yours are some of the strongest i've seen. The AFR trace is as flat as machined straight edge lol
That's good ! We get some good gaz up here in canada. As said previously as I think petro-canada 94 octane (only company with more than 91 in quebec) gaz is crap (mileage is bad and had knock in previous vehicule) I'm running shell v-power 91 + nos booster. Now i'm confident about using octane booster for the track or to run agressive ! Lower temps from tonight help as well !

I still getting used to read datalog from the bimmer as kinda different from my 08 civic si I had previously tuned

EDIT : Anyone know how to trim a log so I can see what virtual dyno give as numbers ?
__________________
2009 E92 335xi - MT6 - Black Sapphire Met - Coral Red - Sport & Cold Weather Pkg - VMR VB3 Gunmetal - Aero Lip - CF Trunk Spoiler - LUX V4 - BMS CDV & Clutch Stop - BMS OCC - RD Front Strut Brace - COBB AP V3 - COBB Catback Exhaust - Injen DCI - ER CP w/ Tial BOV - Daily Driven

Last edited by max_k20; 07-09-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Added text
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:12 PM   #5683
rader1
Banned
34
Rep
2,197
Posts

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

The best thing to do is just log a 3rd gear pull and load it into VD. VD will auto trim it a little bit.

OFF TOPIC: what were your mods on the civic?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:32 PM   #5684
max_k20
Bavarian Love
Canada
2
Rep
164
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
The best thing to do is just log a 3rd gear pull and load it into VD. VD will auto trim it a little bit.

OFF TOPIC: what were your mods on the civic?
PM'ed

SO cannot really trim existing logs to keep 3rd gear only
__________________
2009 E92 335xi - MT6 - Black Sapphire Met - Coral Red - Sport & Cold Weather Pkg - VMR VB3 Gunmetal - Aero Lip - CF Trunk Spoiler - LUX V4 - BMS CDV & Clutch Stop - BMS OCC - RD Front Strut Brace - COBB AP V3 - COBB Catback Exhaust - Injen DCI - ER CP w/ Tial BOV - Daily Driven
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #5685
rader1
Banned
34
Rep
2,197
Posts

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_k20 View Post
PM'ed

SO cannot really trim existing logs to keep 3rd gear only
nope, need a dedicated log.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #5686
nikitino25
Lieutenant
nikitino25's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
540
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (2)

E85 mix

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I am by no means an expert on the subject but I did email roundel tech editor Mike Miller regarding E85 fuel mixing and this is what he had to say:

"BMW haltingly recommends no more than 10 percent ethanol (E10) and BMWs are absolutely not designed to run on E85 under any circumstances including a mix.

A BMW dealership would probably be legally justified in denying warranty coverage for damage caused directly by E85 fuel."

He also relayed that he is not rendering legal advice here but that he's seen warranty coverage denied for less.

I'm not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just thought this was useful information to pass along from a knowledgeable source that you may want to consider....
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:26 AM   #5687
nikitino25
Lieutenant
nikitino25's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
540
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E92 335i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Missouri

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VNeBLOB42 View Post
Thats understandable for him to say that. Of course he would and so would anybody for any dealer or anyone who represents a company who's car wasn't rated for E85 would say the same. But yes I would agree its a potential warranty killer.

Thanks for sharing.

If I accidentally put diesel in my car and destroyed my engine, I am covered by my auto insurance. Oops.
Mike Miller does not represent BMW; he is the technical editor of Roundel Magazine; the BMW car club magazine and also Bimmer magazine.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:10 AM   #5688
VNeBLOB42
Lieutenant Colonel
VNeBLOB42's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,679
Posts

 
Drives: 14' GMC Terrain SLT-2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Folsom, Ca

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
007 335i E92  [3.83]
Send a message via Skype™ to VNeBLOB42
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitino25 View Post
Mike Miller does not represent BMW; he is the technical editor of Roundel Magazine; the BMW car club magazine and also Bimmer magazine.
I know, I guess I was just saying that anyone with a high profile job wouldn't risk their reputation to be in favor of something if that something isn't rated for that specific purpose.

Good info, thanks for reaching out, brought up a good point.
__________________

SOLD:: PTF Pro eTune by Dzenno / COBB S1+ E50
Alpina B3 Flash / ETS FMIC / ER CP / CPE DCI
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #5689
Tranic335i
Private First Class
2
Rep
102
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NORCAL

iTrader: (1)

I understand it's two different platform and motor, but in the Evo world E-85 is considered Jesus Juice the link below is why. Just a lil FYI of the wonders of E-85.

http://evoempire.org/community/index...-motor-on-e85/

http://evoempire.org/community/index...-years-on-e85/
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:24 AM   #5690
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
922
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

I'm on my way to getting my mods together to run stage 2+. Got my catless DP's, and will be getting a FMIC soon. I might track the car a few times this year, in case it makes a difference to your answers.

1 - Was wondering, you guys running 2+, did you have to upgrade your charge pipe?

2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.

3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?


Last edited by Glowin; 07-10-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:42 AM   #5691
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
94
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
I'm on my way to getting my mods together to run stage 2+. Got my catless DP's, and will be getting a FMIC soon. I might track the car a few times this year, in case it makes a difference to your answers.

1 - Was wondering, you guys running 2+, did you have to upgrade your charge pipe?

2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.

3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?

1 - Was wondering, you guys running 2+, did you have to upgrade your charge pipe?
is not necessary
2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.
they should hold fine with high boost, if they leak you can always get the forge.
3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?
Best would be a Mr. 5 or Helix style if you dont want to go DCI, Injen etc.
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:28 PM   #5692
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
922
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
2 - How about the factory diverter valves? Just want to know if they're necessary to be done, or just a wait and see if they break approach, as (at least with the DV's) I'd read that the stock DV's can often hold up even at the higher boost levels seen with 2+ maps.
they should hold fine with high boost, if they leak you can always get the forge.

3 - And for the air intake, I've got a K&N right now in the stock airbox. How many of you upgraded your intakes too to a Mr. 5 or Helix style (or a CAI I suppose)? Or is the K&N sufficient (which is all that Cobb seems to recommend - a panel filter is one of the choices they said is ok)?
Best would be a Mr. 5 or Helix style if you dont want to go DCI, Injen etc.
Ciao Enrita, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Couple more questions please:

1 - If my DV's do fail, then I assume I'll just get a code / go into limp mode? Is it ok to keep driving the car then, and stay off of boost? Maybe switch to stock map? Because if I have to go buy the Forge DV's then, it might take a week to get them in, for example.

2 - For the intake, if I haven't had time yet to make my stock airbox into a Helix style and I go to the track with just the K&N as the upgrade, what's the impact? Anything bad, like a possible limp mode? Or just that you can't make as much power as you'd be able to otherwise?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #5693
rader1
Banned
34
Rep
2,197
Posts

 
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Roanoke, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Ciao Enrita, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Couple more questions please:

1 - If my DV's do fail, then I assume I'll just get a code / go into limp mode? Is it ok to keep driving the car then, and stay off of boost? Maybe switch to stock map? Because if I have to go buy the Forge DV's then, it might take a week to get them in, for example.

2 - For the intake, if I haven't had time yet to make my stock airbox into a Helix style and I go to the track with just the K&N as the upgrade, what's the impact? Anything bad, like a possible limp mode? Or just that you can't make as much power as you'd be able to otherwise?
If the stock DVs leak then you'll get a 30FF code. Swapping back to the stock map should fix your problem until you get whatever parts you need(forge, helix, AWE etc)

A K&N filter should be all you need. Worst case scenario you just won't make as much power as you could. Keep an eye on WGDC just to be sure the turbos are working themselves too hard with the stock air box.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #5694
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
94
Rep
7,331
Posts

 
Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowin View Post
Ciao Enrita, thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Couple more questions please:

1 - If my DV's do fail, then I assume I'll just get a code / go into limp mode? Is it ok to keep driving the car then, and stay off of boost? Maybe switch to stock map? Because if I have to go buy the Forge DV's then, it might take a week to get them in, for example.

2 - For the intake, if I haven't had time yet to make my stock airbox into a Helix style and I go to the track with just the K&N as the upgrade, what's the impact? Anything bad, like a possible limp mode? Or just that you can't make as much power as you'd be able to otherwise?
The dvs just dont fail like that , there are people that have run stock dvs on 18 psi for years. if they start leaking you will get a limp sometimes and probably on high rpm full boost.
No issues with K&N only. on cobb site is not a requirement.
__________________
07 335i AT - TD St.2 Turbos - COBB (Custom Cobb mapping by http://www.protuningfreaks.com/) - JB4G5 ISO - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - E85 Walbro - Injen Intake - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - AR DPs - midpipes 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - Level 10 AT upgrade - Alpina AT Flash
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #5695
Glowin
Captain
Glowin's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
922
Posts

 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Awesome, thanks guys.

Just wanted to cover my bases, as with the DP's and FMIC, I'd be using the 2+ maps of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #5696
E92xiSS
Enlisted Member
E92xiSS's Avatar
United_States
0
Rep
39
Posts

 
Drives: 08 Montego 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to E92xiSS
just installed ams intercooler. trying out the stage 1+ . obviously the extra power is real nice but more noticeable lag. car just kicks around 2700-800 rpms. any one with this issue? i'll try out the linear map tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #5697
benzy89
Banned
United_States
28
Rep
2,396
Posts

 
Drives: '08 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Northern NJ

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92xiSS View Post
just installed ams intercooler. trying out the stage 1+ . obviously the extra power is real nice but more noticeable lag. car just kicks around 2700-800 rpms. any one with this issue? i'll try out the linear map tomorrow.
A little lag pre-3k is expected since you're still using the stock DPs but have increased the boost. Stage 2/Stg 2+ maps spool closer to low/mid 2k since the aftermarket DPs let the turbos spool up faster
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #5698
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
BlueBimmer's Avatar
United_States
4
Rep
272
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Exclamation Please Review my logs - and proper boost values

Folks,
I've done a lot of reading but I still have little idea what I'm looking at. Can someone please review my log files and let me know if everything looks ok?

I'm stock except for Cobb 43k on car now- did a few runs today 2nd and third pulls - no room for fourth. I'm not sure what to look for, I saw boost values in the 16s on several logs, on the WOT logs (attached) there are values in the 17s and spikes unto 21 ! - is this ok?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cobb Logs 071012.zip (44.2 KB, 30 views)
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i cobb, 335i cobb, 535i cobb, accessport n54, bmw cobb, bmw cobb tuning, cobb 135i, cobb 335i, cobb 535i, cobb ap, cobb bmw, cobb n54, cobb tuning bmw, cobb tuning n54, cobb tuning n55, flash n54, flash n55, n54 accessport, n54 cobb, n54 cobb tuning, n54 flash, n54 flash tune, n55 cobb, n55 flash, n55 flash tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST