E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here

08-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #8141
Carl Morris
Captain

Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykayelemenohpee View Post
I would expect to be hitting 18.5 PSI on the cobb maps. When I first installed it I was. The last time I logged in phoenix I couldn't pass ~16psi and I threw a boost leak code, the first I've ever seen. I tightened up my IC hoses and still did not hit 18psi. Brought it to my mechanic and he claimed there was no leak.
You may need to pressure test yourself to be sure, but if he's right then I think that just leaves bypass valves or vacuum system controlling the wastegates. Yeah, at 5000-6000ft I normally hit 17-18psi momentarily with the Stage1+ OTS map when I first get full boost.
      08-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #8142
napeHbNYC
Lieutenant

Drives: 2010 E90 335 RWD 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Yes try to reproduce it and get the codes.
From what I remember, the codes were for cylinders 4-6 misfire, the 2 I posted, limp mode code and low fuel level code.

Is it possible car could have a do fix installed on it? Got is used and when went to install DPs, everything was hand tight lol How do I check?

Last edited by napeHbNYC; 08-11-2013 at 09:34 PM.
napeHbNYC is offline   United_States
      08-11-2013, 10:19 PM   #8143
mg4734
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Help with a data-log please

Hi guys,

I just took a log of my car, stock except for cobb, running stage 1 sport with 93 octane Shell.traction control completely off, if I remember correctly it was a second gear pull (couldn't get out at the right time of night for a 3rd or 4th gear pull...) I have attached a zipped csv file.

I see some minor timing corrections in the log, which I chalk up to having almost 32k miles on original spark plugs. They need to be changed... Otherwise the car feels like it runs fine. Does the log look ok?

If I understand the numbers in the log correctly though, it looks like I am over-boosting. Boost delta is negative at one point, and it is pushing 16psi at one point (too high for stg1 sport?). How can I fix the over-boost? I have ATR but do not know how to use it.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Attached Files
File Type: zip datalog6-1.zip (2.4 KB, 28 views)
      08-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #8144
135Pats
Need more fuel

Drives: 135i

For the most readable log, you need to stay 100% WOT from the beginning of the log all the way until redline.

Cyl 1 is pretty noisy in that first log, and there's a timing retard taking place as well. So swapping plugs is a good decision. No serious overboost issues that need to be trimmed, I think you're mistaking boost with the requested vs provided channels.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
135Pats is offline   United_States
      08-11-2013, 11:38 PM   #8145
cwarren
Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by usctrojansdent View Post
Hey Cwarren..and other folks (please chime in)

I did another run with Stage 0 (STOCK MAP) starting close to 2500 RPM...and flooring it......DTC off.
The 30FF code does not come on.
The half engine light does not come on.
I did a couple of run.

So it means i dont have a boost leak with a Stage 0 map at full range of RPM...but with Stage 1 Drive map, I get a boost leak at 4000-5000 range..

I check the vaccum line by the canister: Good
Vaccum line behind the oil filter:Good

My boost with stage 0 map never goes beyond 9.8 Psi.
Range 8.5-9.5
Mean is about 8.0psi.

Is it safe to say 11.0 psi is too much for the system to withstand without throwing a 30FF code?

thanks
running higher boost is going to show your weak points . you def have a problem if you cant run 11 psi . could be diverter valves ,piping ,or vac lines or a bad boost solenoid even hard to say .I would start by buying some vac line and just replace it all its cheap and a great place to start.
also bad timing corrections in that first log .what fuel are you running to get those stock ?
      08-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #8146
E90Company
Major General

Drives: Car

135Pats, do you have any logs with LPFP pressure? If you don't mind I'd like to compare yours to mine.
E90Company is offline   No_Country
      08-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #8147
mg4734
Private First Class

Ok, thanks. I'm going to the dealership this week to see if they'll do plugs for me, if not I'm going to have them done anyways.

That was a second gear log, so I know it's short. Wasn't safe to do 3rd or 4th gear when I had time to take a log. Someone else here said stop after 6700 rpm, since the power drops off. I guess it's a matter of preference?

Glad to hear there isn't overboost, I'm still learning to read the logs and probably did get confused...
      08-11-2013, 11:49 PM   #8148
E90Company
Major General

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg4734 View Post
Ok, thanks. I'm going to the dealership this week to see if they'll do plugs for me, if not I'm going to have them done anyways.

That was a second gear log, so I know it's short. Wasn't safe to do 3rd or 4th gear when I had time to take a log. Someone else here said stop after 6700 rpm, since the power drops off. I guess it's a matter of preference?

Glad to hear there isn't overboost, I'm still learning to read the logs and probably did get confused...
Just took a quick look at your log. You have a bit of throttle closure from overboost, and a few minor timing corrections. As far as logging and RPM, the more data the better.
      08-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #8149
mg4734
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company
Quote:

Just took a quick look at your log. You have a bit of throttle closure from overboost, and a few minor timing corrections. As far as logging and RPM, the more data the better.
Ok, thanks. I think changing plugs will fix the timing corrections, though if that doesn't help i'm not sure what to do next. I have the tune off the car currently since I'm going to try and get plugs under BMW maintenance, but I'll try and get a better log this week if I need to go to an indy shop.

How do I go about fixing the overboost? Is it worth fixing? I had this happen before in another log before I downloaded ATR, and I'm not sure what to change on the map to prevent overboosting.
      08-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #8150
E90Company
Major General

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I think changing plugs will fix the timing corrections, though if that doesn't help i'm not sure what to do next. I have the tune off the car currently since I'm going to try and get plugs under BMW maintenance, but I'll try and get a better log this week if I need to go to an indy shop.

How do I go about fixing the overboost? Is it worth fixing? I had this happen before in another log before I downloaded ATR, and I'm not sure what to change on the map to prevent overboosting.
Your corrections were minor (-3 or less) and only in two cylinders. It's not really too much to worry about. It might be caused by the throttle closure or be adapation based. I find whenever I flash a new map and don't go WOT a few times, timing corrections will show up.

As far as fixing the overboost (which was minor) you are going to want to massage your "WGDC Base" table as a starting point. Multiply your table by .9 to scale it down 10%. If throttle closures still show up go ahead and log "MAF requested WGDC" and "Boost Setpoint Factor", post it up here, and we can go from there.
      08-12-2013, 07:59 AM   #8151
135Pats
Need more fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
135Pats, do you have any logs with LPFP pressure? If you don't mind I'd like to compare yours to mine.
Yea I log it on every ethanol log I pull. Actually I think I posted up a really recent log on the previous page of this thread, that log is pretty clean. Generally speaking I see LPFP PSI dip to the low 50s approaching peak boost, but it holds up well enough and HPFP PSI doesnít get dragged down too badly. This is with E30 and pump as the only fuel, meth hasnít been installed yet while I figure out SS lines. Ultimate goal on stock turbos is E40 + Meth; until we get more definitive long-term testing on high E85 concentrations Iím a bit hesitant to run E50+. Not to mention the 6AT puts a practical cap on the type of torque I can run midrange once meth comes into the equation.
E88 FBO N54 Alpinweiss/Coral Red/Meisterschaft Race/Berk Resonated/Macht Schnell 3"/ER CP/Synapse/VRSF FMIC/FFTEC LPFP/HFS-4 DO Stainless Lines/BMS DCI/BMS Thermostat Delete/Rob Beck PCV Valve + Cap/BMS OCC/PTF E50/ST Coilovers/M3 Front Control Arms + Tension Rods/M3 Subframe Bushings/M3 FSB/DINAN Camber Plates/Apex ARC-8/Project Kics/Macht Schnell Studs/VAC Hubs/Rogue Transmission Mounts/Alpina TCU Flash/Icarbon/Kerscher/BMW Performance
      08-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #8152
mg4734
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company
Quote:

Your corrections were minor (-3 or less) and only in two cylinders. It's not really too much to worry about. It might be caused by the throttle closure or be adapation based. I find whenever I flash a new map and don't go WOT a few times, timing corrections will show up.

As far as fixing the overboost (which was minor) you are going to want to massage your "WGDC Base" table as a starting point. Multiply your table by .9 to scale it down 10%. If throttle closures still show up go ahead and log "MAF requested WGDC" and "Boost Setpoint Factor", post it up here, and we can go from there.
Ok, thanks! I'll get on ATR and take a log once I'm done trying to get the dealership to do some maintenance before my warranty goes up. Hoping for plugs and walnut blasting
      08-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #8153
E90Company
Major General

Quote:
Yea I log it on every ethanol log I pull. Actually I think I posted up a really recent log on the previous page of this thread, that log is pretty clean. Generally speaking I see LPFP PSI dip to the low 50s approaching peak boost, but it holds up well enough and HPFP PSI doesnít get dragged down too badly. This is with E30 and pump as the only fuel, meth hasnít been installed yet while I figure out SS lines. Ultimate goal on stock turbos is E40 + Meth; until we get more definitive long-term testing on high E85 concentrations Iím a bit hesitant to run E50+. Not to mention the 6AT puts a practical cap on the type of torque I can run midrange once meth comes into the equation.
Thanks Pat.

Quote:
Ok, thanks! I'll get on ATR and take a log once I'm done trying to get the dealership to do some maintenance before my warranty goes up. Hoping for plugs and walnut blasting
Sounds good.
      08-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #8154
135Pats
Need more fuel

No problem. Let me know if thereís anything concerning you see in the log, or if thereís other context on my end that would be helpful for whatever youíre trying to look into. Iím always trying to learn more.
      08-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #8155
E90Company
Major General

Quote:
No problem. Let me know if thereís anything concerning you see in the log, or if thereís other context on my end that would be helpful for whatever youíre trying to look into. Iím always trying to learn more.
Your HP and LP look very similar to mine, but the problem is i'm running 93 when this happens. Trims are lower than yours with a scalar of 1.000, but that's expected. Do you throw any fuel codes? The only one I'm getting is 2AAF. AFR's are on point as are yours. Your log looks pretty good.
      08-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #8156
135Pats
Need more fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Company View Post
Your HP and LP look very similar to mine, but the problem is i'm running 93 when this happens. Trims are lower than yours with a scalar of 1.000, but that's expected. Do you throw any fuel codes? The only one I'm getting is 2AAF. AFR's are on point as are yours. Your log looks pretty good.
HmÖ.I can look over some older pump gas logs I have from the winter, but IIRC I wasnít logging trim or fuel PSI since it didnít seem necessary. Every now and then the car will throw P2AAF, and itís also thrown P29E-something fuel mixture related. But thatís rare, and Iíve had a grand total of 1 misfire/limp mode since switching to the E30 map about 5 months ago. I was pretty happy with that particular log, itís def one of the cleanest oneís my motor has produced.

I guess Iíd just say that if youíre good on AFR, and good on trimÖI wouldnít worry too much about pump PSI. Could just be your stock pumps getting a bit tired, my LPFP is probably in the later stages of its life. So long as HPFP PSI isnít tanking and the car is at a healthy AFR, it would seem things are more or less OK on the fuel delivery front, no?
      08-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #8157
E90Company
Major General

Quote:
I guess Iíd just say that if youíre good on AFR, and good on trimÖI wouldnít worry too much about pump PSI. Could just be your stock pumps getting a bit tired, my LPFP is probably in the later stages of its life. So long as HPFP PSI isnít tanking and the car is at a healthy AFR, it would seem things are more or less OK on the fuel delivery front, no?
That's what it is most likely. It's just suprising considering my car has 24,000 miles and I don't use ethanol. I guess I'll start looking into Walbro's as I was going to do it anyway.

Correct, the only issue is LP dropping. HP, trims and AFR are all fine.
      08-12-2013, 06:51 PM   #8158
jaykayelemenohpee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
You may need to pressure test yourself to be sure, but if he's right then I think that just leaves bypass valves or vacuum system controlling the wastegates. Yeah, at 5000-6000ft I normally hit 17-18psi momentarily with the Stage1+ OTS map when I first get full boost.
So that leaves boost solenoids and getting a new cp combo. Are there any DIYs out there for boost solenoids?
      08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #8159
Carl Morris
Captain

Quote:
So that leaves boost solenoids and getting a new cp combo. Are there any DIYs out there for boost solenoids?
Not that I'm aware of, but they're probably fine. It's the vacuum hoses to/from the reservoirs that feed the WGAs that you want to check out from what I've heard.
      08-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #8160
jaykayelemenohpee
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Morris View Post
Not that I'm aware of, but they're probably fine. It's the vacuum hoses to/from the reservoirs that feed the WGAs that you want to check out from what I've heard.
Is it as simple as looking at the wastegate, finding the vac hose, and tracing it back and just replacing the hose? I'm just so far away from any real help that I want to be sure before I start digging around.

Anybody have part numbers or an auto zone equivalent or the hose measurements before I go digging?
      08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #8161
usctrojansdent
Private First Class

Drives: Slow Car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
running higher boost is going to show your weak points . you def have a problem if you cant run 11 psi . could be diverter valves ,piping ,or vac lines or a bad boost solenoid even hard to say .I would start by buying some vac line and just replace it all its cheap and a great place to start.
also bad timing corrections in that first log .what fuel are you running to get those stock ?
I'll start taking a close look this weekend. In the meantime, I'll keep it on Stage 0.

I was running nevada 91 ACN fuel....
      08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #8162
Carl Morris
Captain

Quote:
Is it as simple as looking at the wastegate, finding the vac hose, and tracing it back and just replacing the hose?
I'm hoping someone who has done it will chime in, but it's all the hoses connected to the vacuum canisters in the front passenger side of the engine bay. They say that the ones that cross over the front of the motor (that supply manifold vacuum to the canisters) tend to be likely to leak as the years go by.