E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > All COBB Tuning AccessPORT Flash for N54 335i Discussion Here



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #2003
dzenno
Banned
Canada
156
Rep
5,878
Posts

Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
@Jeff and @dzenno:

Like I said before, once ATR comes out, this is all a moot point. All I want to do is suppress heatsoak on a fixed OTS stage 2 map when it comes out. My original question was merely IF anyone was going to do what I originally asked about. I have no issues road tuning on ATR once available for maximum benefit; the challenge is keeping compressor wear down by keeping IATs down on a tune that uses the DME's load-targeting logic.

We all know high IATs cause a Cobb stage 1 to target upwards of 16 psi peak due to the increased boost required to hit the load target. I am sure even the stage 1 guys are reaping some benefits in regards to compressor wear if they were to run meth. They won't run any faster, but lower IATs = higher density charge = less boost to hit load target.
I'll still run 50/50 as my setup is washer fluid tank based...but yeah, I would've been totally fine with a smaller nozzle than dual CM7s that I have now depending on what timing/boost they eventually come out with on stage 2...

By the way, Cobb has just installed an HFS-3 kit recently so don't think that they aren't playing with meth...might be a surprise what they come up with soon tune wise, i don't know but they will be adding meth to test with it
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2011, 11:18 PM   #2004
themyst
Major General
themyst's Avatar
South Korea
111
Rep
6,629
Posts

Drives: '16 MK7 GTI
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NYC

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I'll still run 50/50 as my setup is washer fluid tank based...but yeah, I would've been totally fine with a smaller nozzle than dual CM7s that I have now depending on what timing/boost they eventually come out with on stage 2...

By the way, Cobb has just installed an HFS-3 kit recently so don't think that they aren't playing with meth...might be a surprise what they come up with soon tune wise, i don't know but they will be adding meth to test with it
I'm not changing anything but the nozzle to run stage 2 OTS! It's an easy enough fix to throw back on my CM10 nozzle if they come out with a stage 2 + meth map.
__________________
E90 LCI N54 6AT
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 12:14 AM   #2005
BMW72
Private First Class
BMW72's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
176
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i XDrive
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
This comes up a lot. You have to be sure that you're running the latest Cobb update or there could be a chance you'll leave a shadow code. If you're running the latest firmware update, you're good to go. I tested it myself against a BT tool.
So a BT Tool is a must have with the COBB since im still under warranty ? If they find a shadow code then they will more than likely void my warranty.
__________________
2009 BMW 335i X-Drive
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 05:13 AM   #2006
enrita
Major General
enrita's Avatar
Sweden
100
Rep
7,382
Posts

Drives: 335i - Big turbos
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Italian in Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW72 View Post
So a BT Tool is a must have with the COBB since im still under warranty ? If they find a shadow code then they will more than likely void my warranty.
You dont need the bt tool. You can clear all codes with cobb as you can with piggybacks.
__________________
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:47 PM   #2007
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
OneThreeFive's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
592
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
I'll just leave this here...

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/2011/08/...gging-updates/
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #2008
mithiral67
That guy
mithiral67's Avatar
77
Rep
5,738
Posts

Drives: 2015 Cayman GTS
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chicago Burbs

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
erection cove
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:00 PM   #2009
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
1160
Rep
33,615
Posts


Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: www.TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (33)

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
@Jeff and @dzenno:

Like I said before, once ATR comes out, this is all a moot point. All I want to do is suppress heatsoak on a fixed OTS stage 2 map when it comes out. My original question was merely IF anyone was going to do what I originally asked about. I have no issues road tuning on ATR once available for maximum benefit; the challenge is keeping compressor wear down by keeping IATs down on a tune that uses the DME's load-targeting logic.

We all know high IATs cause a Cobb stage 1 to target upwards of 16 psi peak due to the increased boost required to hit the load target. I am sure even the stage 1 guys are reaping some benefits in regards to compressor wear if they were to run meth. They won't run any faster, but lower IATs = higher density charge = less boost to hit load target.
I hear that. I just couldnt understand why you kept thinking I was using meth as a fuel when I'm not at the limit of the fuel system. So yes, there are no performance gains on a stage 1 OTS, however, there is efficiency improved.
__________________
|Facebook Discounts||Evolution Racewerks| |Active Autowerke| |ETS| |Burger Tuning| |Cobb| |Mishimoto||VRSF| |AWE| |Wagner|

|HPB LED Angel Eyes| |VTT| |KW| |Spec| |ST Coilovers| |Koni| |Bilstein| |Borla| |Magnaflow| |AFE| |Shifteck| |Injen|Coding / PPK / Alpina
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #2010
PGZ11
Private First Class
3
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 335XI
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11 View Post
Having some problems with Cobb if anyone can help, or direct me to another thread more appropriate....

I have a 2008 535xi (not much info on the 5 series forums)

Early June, had the HPFP / injectors recall done
Late June, warranty expired and installed Cobb Accessport, everything seemed sweet,
A week after install saw a P29F3 - fuel pressure sensor code, came right back after clearing it but didn't seem to effect performance.
About 2 weeks after, gettin on the gas, threw a CEL for P29CF - cylinder 3 misfiring, went away, cleared the code and didn't come back.
Today, driving to bimmerfest, slow accel on the highway, threw CEL and same P29CF code, drove in stuttering car mode couple minutes and went away, on the way home same problem, shaking when hit throttle and threw the CEL when harder accelerating.
Now, got home, uninstalled COBB, still has the P29F3 (fuel pressure sensor) code but is running like brand new!
Hoping the CEL and cylinder 3 misfire code would come back after uninstall of Cobb to take it to the dealer, but it doesn't look like it will.. Any advice?? Thanks
So, I couldn't get the cylinder 3 misfire code to come back w/out cobb installed. Took it to the dealer (showing only the P29F3) and they say its a low pressure sensor (~$500) that has gone bad, and that it wasn't bad 1.5 months ago when they did the recall service.. does this sound legit or are they just guessing? Most have said its probably still a fuel pump issue but the dealer said the pump and injectors "tested" correctly. Any advice? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #2011
Nomarhits400
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneThreeFive View Post
Guess everyone is aware- but there was a pretty big firmware update and new maps released 8/10 for the 335i (2007-2010). Lots of new logged channels. Just downloaded last night- very nice.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #2012
OneThreeFive
Lieutenant
OneThreeFive's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
592
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NoVA

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarhits400 View Post
Guess everyone is aware- but there was a pretty big firmware update and new maps released 8/10 for the 335i (2007-2010). Lots of new logged channels. Just downloaded last night- very nice.
Now I hope they are - http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=570989
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #2013
korben dallas
Private First Class
4
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: F15 35i MPPK
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarhits400 View Post
Guess everyone is aware- but there was a pretty big firmware update and new maps released 8/10 for the 335i (2007-2010). Lots of new logged channels. Just downloaded last night- very nice.
Did you just update your AP and flash a v3 calibration, or did you have to uninstall and reinstall the initial flash? Wasn't sure if a full re-install was required due to the additional logging channels...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #2014
BMWsky
Major
United_States
16
Rep
1,244
Posts

Drives: 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Webster NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGZ11 View Post
So, I couldn't get the cylinder 3 misfire code to come back w/out cobb installed. Took it to the dealer (showing only the P29F3) and they say its a low pressure sensor (~$500) that has gone bad, and that it wasn't bad 1.5 months ago when they did the recall service.. does this sound legit or are they just guessing? Most have said its probably still a fuel pump issue but the dealer said the pump and injectors "tested" correctly. Any advice? thanks
If it is the pump, injectors, etc, it will eventually rear its head more often. I will throw a misfire on cylinder 1 every few weeks, but only at startup, never when I'm driving. I uninstalled the Cobb AP and brought to the dealer, they told me the same thing. My SA spent the whole day diagnosing (he's a trusted friend, so I know he did) and couldn't find anything which would authorize him (key phrase) to replace any parts. Plug 1 smelled a little like gas which he said means it will eventually fail. He and I took the car out and really pushed it, trying to get it to throw the code...didn't happen. Actually, the car has been pulling EXTREMELY well and strong these days. It's just one of those things. I know it's there, and at some point will throw the code more often. When my HPFP started going, I uninstalled the AP, pushed the car hard and presto, code thrown, dealer visit, new pump.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #2015
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
343
Rep
13,592
Posts

Drives: JB E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1721 E. Lambert Rd #C, La Habra, CA 90631

iTrader: (51)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
Did you just update your AP and flash a v3 calibration, or did you have to uninstall and reinstall the initial flash? Wasn't sure if a full re-install was required due to the additional logging channels...
You do not need to uninstall the tune from the car. You simply need to download the beta firmware onto your COBB AP, plug it into the OBDII, then switch to the new v3.00 maps!
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:11 PM   #2016
Nomarhits400
Enlisted Member
1
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: Montego Blue 335i Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton, Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by korben dallas View Post
Did you just update your AP and flash a v3 calibration, or did you have to uninstall and reinstall the initial flash? Wasn't sure if a full re-install was required due to the additional logging channels...
Yeah- just updated the firmware on the AP- the new V3 maps are on there that allow for the extra channels and then you can just install the new maps. There was a note that the new maps take about 10 minutes (versus 2-3 for normal map switchover due to the new channels being integrated)- and that was about right- 10 minutes or so.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #2017
korben dallas
Private First Class
4
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: F15 35i MPPK
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomarhits400 View Post
Yeah- just updated the firmware on the AP- the new V3 maps are on there that allow for the extra channels and then you can just install the new maps. There was a note that the new maps take about 10 minutes (versus 2-3 for normal map switchover due to the new channels being integrated)- and that was about right- 10 minutes or so.
Ah ok, cool, that makes sense. I assumed they had to be doing more than just the normal calibration update with this to allow for the additional logging channels. Sounds like it does a "full" install if it takes 10 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:25 PM   #2018
bmwti
Private First Class
7
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 12' 528xi, 08' 335i, 01' 330ci
Join Date: May 2008
Location: dirty jerz

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
2009 328i coupe  [2.75]
UPS arrived today, with my COBB AP. Thank you Jeff at topgearsolutions for the EXCELLENT deal!!

Last edited by bmwti; 08-11-2011 at 09:45 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #2019
bmwti
Private First Class
7
Rep
171
Posts

Drives: 12' 528xi, 08' 335i, 01' 330ci
Join Date: May 2008
Location: dirty jerz

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [3.50]
2009 328i coupe  [2.75]
I have an AT, and Im running 93 octane version 2.3, as soon as I installed it, and then started the car, and moved the gear changer out of park into reverse (backing out of a parking lot) the changing of gears seemed really jerky.

I tried it a couple of times, and occasionally when I switch from Drive to Reverse, or from Park to Drive, it just seems really rough. Is this normal?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2011, 09:42 PM   #2020
korben dallas
Private First Class
4
Rep
124
Posts

Drives: F15 35i MPPK
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
I have an AT, and Im running 93 octane version 2.3, as soon as I installed it, and then started the car, and moved the gear changer out of park into reverse (backing out of a parking lot) the changing of gears seemed really jerky.

I tried it a couple of times, and occasionally when I switch from Drive to Reverse, or from Park to Drive, it just seems really rough. Is this normal?
I feel like my first shift into reverse after a flash is always harsh, but after that it is fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:44 PM   #2021
spdnman
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Cobb without Oil Cooler

I am a noobie. I have a 2008 335xi bone stock, paddle shift. Will be adding the Cobb tune and Afe Twin Air Filter. I do not have an oil cooler in this car. Is this safe? Anything negative to expect? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spdnman; 08-12-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 12:56 PM   #2022
boom
My X5d tows my spec miata to the track.
United_States
38
Rep
1,254
Posts

Drives: 2010 X5 35d
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Skip the intake. It'll raise iat and reduce power. Just watch your oil temp. Back off if its over 260.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdnman View Post
I am a noobie. I have a 2008 335xi bone stock, paddle shift. Will adding the Cobb tune and Afe Twin Air Filter. I do not have an oil cooler in this car. Is this safe? Anything negative to expect? Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #2023
PGZ11
Private First Class
3
Rep
174
Posts

Drives: 335XI
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
If it is the pump, injectors, etc, it will eventually rear its head more often. I will throw a misfire on cylinder 1 every few weeks, but only at startup, never when I'm driving. I uninstalled the Cobb AP and brought to the dealer, they told me the same thing. My SA spent the whole day diagnosing (he's a trusted friend, so I know he did) and couldn't find anything which would authorize him (key phrase) to replace any parts. Plug 1 smelled a little like gas which he said means it will eventually fail. He and I took the car out and really pushed it, trying to get it to throw the code...didn't happen. Actually, the car has been pulling EXTREMELY well and strong these days. It's just one of those things. I know it's there, and at some point will throw the code more often. When my HPFP started going, I uninstalled the AP, pushed the car hard and presto, code thrown, dealer visit, new pump.
Hmmm the dealership is saying my low pressure sensor is bad, i smelled bs and told them i didn't want it, they called back and said a regional bmw tech was coming in today and he may be able to authorize a warranty replacement on the sensor...well they didn't even call me today to update me on the status or what the regional tech said i guess they are keeping the car overnight again, hope they didn't break sh&t
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #2024
Rob@Cobb
Lieutenant
15
Rep
468
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 335i ///M Pack
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Austin, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters View Post
Anyone having improper ECT reading in live data? Like half of what it should be?

Its not units issue. I have tried flipping between standard and metric, and both are reading way too low.

Updated AP and reinstalled which didn't seem to help. Happens on all maps too (91, 93, etc.)
If you find anything off, please PM me your ROM revision (listed in your map name) and the monitors you believe are not looking correct. I will verify the monitor.

Cheers,
Rob
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
135i cobb, 335i cobb, 535i cobb, accessport n54, bmw cobb, bmw cobb tuning, cobb 135i, cobb 335i, cobb 535i, cobb ap, cobb bmw, cobb n54, cobb tuning bmw, cobb tuning n54, cobb tuning n55, flash n54, flash n55, n54 accessport, n54 cobb, n54 cobb tuning, n54 flash, n54 flash tune, n55 cobb, n55 flash, n55 flash tune

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:49 PM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST