E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Official Dynavin BMW E9X Review, Pics, Questions, etc.

03-07-2011, 08:50 AM   #265
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Drives: 07 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkirk View Post
Just like scubasteve referred to I was wondering if I should tap the speaker lines into the RCA outs, thus bypassing the HU signals.
Huh?

What I recommended was running RCA cables from the Dynavin to your JL amp. The Dynavin has RCA preouts, wherein the factory did not. This will solve the issue of you only being able to turn the volume to "3" on the Dynavin.
      03-07-2011, 08:57 AM   #266
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Now that I found out you can change the nav software I'm actually considering buying this does anyone have any pictures with this unit running a different software. Thanks in advance.
There are many different nav software packages that you can use. Anything that runs in WinCE-5 should work.

The favorite for these Dynavin unit's and the version that I'm running, is iGO Primo.

03-07-2011, 12:54 PM   #267
pkirk
Private First Class

Drives: 2008 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
Huh?

What I recommended was running RCA cables from the Dynavin to your JL amp. The Dynavin has RCA preouts, wherein the factory did not. This will solve the issue of you only being able to turn the volume to "3" on the Dynavin.
scuba, I see 2 ways to accomplish this. One way (as I was describing) would be to cut the speaker wire signals from the harness behind the HU and connect to the RCA outputs.

The ohter would be to run an entirely new set of RCA wires from HU to the trunk. I am guessing this is how you would propose accomplishing this?

Do you happen to know the output voltage from the RCA's in comparison to the HU harness outputs?
      03-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #268
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
You're 12volt connection isn't getting a constant 12V. If you followed the fuse tap recommendation in the caraudiocraze instructions then it could be wrong. For my vehicle that location also did not work and I had a radio that reset itself after every drive. I guess the e90 that caraudiocraze used must've had a different feature package that provided a constant 12V there.

I ended up using the location referenced in the Dynavin manual and it works. I purchased one of the "add-a-circuit" fusetaps from AutoZone.

When you get the correct 12V source the radio will automatically power up with the key and will retain it's clock and other settings.
Thanks for ths information. I was suspecting a problem with my supplied power.

Did you use a fuse tap becuase there was already a fuse in the location proposed by the dynavin instructions? I think this location was empty for me, but i chose to go with the caraudiocraze instruction. Please excuse my ignorance, but what side of the fuse location is positive - the blue + looking side?
      03-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #269
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
There are many different nav software packages that you can use. Anything that runs in WinCE-5 should work.

The favorite for these Dynavin unit's and the version that I'm running, is iGO Primo.

I chose to ipgrade to Igo Primo based on scuba's recomendation. It's truly the coolest GPS software I've ever used! IMO though, I didn't think there was anything wrong with the Igo 8 that the unit comes with.
      03-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #270
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
scuba, I see 2 ways to accomplish this. One way (as I was describing) would be to cut the speaker wire signals from the harness behind the HU and connect to the RCA outputs.

The ohter would be to run an entirely new set of RCA wires from HU to the trunk. I am guessing this is how you would propose accomplishing this?

Do you happen to know the output voltage from the RCA's in comparison to the HU harness outputs?
Yes, run a new set of RCA cables from the head unit to the trunk. RCA preouts from HU to RCA inputs on the amplifier.

I'm sure the output voltage on the RCAs is less than the speaker level outputs but that isn't fully relevant as the input stage of the amplifier (what VP was referring to) should match the input type being used.
      03-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #271
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
Did you use a fuse tap becuase there was already a fuse in the location proposed by the dynavin instructions? I think this location was empty for me, but i chose to go with the caraudiocraze instruction. Please excuse my ignorance, but what side of the fuse location is positive - the blue + looking side?
Yes, I used a fuse tap because there was already a fuse in the location recommended by Dynavin. If the location is empty for you then you don't need to use any sort of tap. Just keep your glove box open until you complete testing because I'm not sure which side of the fuse will be 12V+. If I had to guess, when facing the empty fuse slot I'd choose the rightmost blade but you'll have to test.
      03-07-2011, 05:18 PM   #272
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Yes, run a new set of RCA cables from the head unit to the trunk. RCA preouts from HU to RCA inputs on the amplifier.

I'm sure the output voltage on the RCAs is less than the speaker level outputs but that isn't fully relevant as the input stage of the amplifier (what VP was referring to) should match the input type being used.
Not that I'm looking to beat this one to death, but I am interested in your reasoning for running a new set of RCA's as opposed to utilizing existing wiring by tapping into factory wire connections on the Dynavin side of the HU harness. This option would certainly be easier and one could argue a cleaner installation.
      03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #273
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Yes, I used a fuse tap because there was already a fuse in the location recommended by Dynavin. If the location is empty for you then you don't need to use any sort of tap. Just keep your glove box open until you complete testing because I'm not sure which side of the fuse will be 12V+. If I had to guess, when facing the empty fuse slot I'd choose the rightmost blade but you'll have to test.
I moved to that location, which didn't already have a fuse. It behaves just as it did in the previous location. Do you think it's possible that the specified location from Dynavin does not have the constant 12V in my car?
      03-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #274
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
Not that I'm looking to beat this one to death, but I am interested in your reasoning for running a new set of RCA's as opposed to utilizing existing wiring by tapping into factory wire connections on the Dynavin side of the HU harness. This option would certainly be easier and one could argue a cleaner installation.
The Dynavin and the factory radio have different signal levels. Presumably the Dynavin can power speakers directly for those that have the most basic radio that doesn't have an OEM amplifier. This means that the outputs from the Dynavin are higher than that of the OEM headunit. This is evidenced by the fact that you turned the gain on your JL amp all the way down and you still can only turn the radio up to like 3 or 4 (I believe it was you that made these comments). This means that the output from the Dynavin going into the input stage of your JL amplifier is not appropriate.

You can do one of two things

1) Use RCA cables which send an appropriate pre-amp level from the Dynavin to your amplifer

2) Buy a line out converter that will accept the high level from the Dynavin and create RCA cables (A less elegant and potentially higher noise solution)

When you get it right the gain on your JL amplifier will no longer have to be all the way down and you'll be able to turn your Dynavin volume into the high teens or low twenties resulting in proper level signals through your system.
      03-08-2011, 08:40 AM   #275
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
I moved to that location, which didn't already have a fuse. It behaves just as it did in the previous location. Do you think it's possible that the specified location from Dynavin does not have the constant 12V in my car?
Did you try both blades of that fuse. Only one is going to have a constant 12V. If you did then it might be easier just to pick up one of the add-a-circuit fuse taps I mentioned and just pick a fuse location. Keep going at it until you find constant 12V. There are plenty of sources there in your fuse panel. When you get it the Dynavin will retain it's settings after ignition shut-off and it will automatically come on when you insert the key.

Also, these e9x Dynavin units are exactly the same as the e46 units, except for the dash housing of course. You could probably learn a lot by going over the threads on e46 fanatics.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=803437

and a nice thread on iGo Primo
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797457
      03-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #276
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
The Dynavin and the factory radio have different signal levels. Presumably the Dynavin can power speakers directly for those that have the most basic radio that doesn't have an OEM amplifier. This means that the outputs from the Dynavin are higher than that of the OEM headunit. This is evidenced by the fact that you turned the gain on your JL amp all the way down and you still can only turn the radio up to like 3 or 4 (I believe it was you that made these comments). This means that the output from the Dynavin going into the input stage of your JL amplifier is not appropriate.

You can do one of two things

1) Use RCA cables which send an appropriate pre-amp level from the Dynavin to your amplifer

2) Buy a line out converter that will accept the high level from the Dynavin and create RCA cables (A less elegant and potentially higher noise solution)

When you get it right the gain on your JL amplifier will no longer have to be all the way down and you'll be able to turn your Dynavin volume into the high teens or low twenties resulting in proper level signals through your system.
What I was trying to describe is depicted in the sketch below.

Wouldn't it be better to utilize existing wiring to avoid running a new set of wires from HU to trunk?
Attached Images

03-08-2011, 05:45 PM   #277
biz77
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90

Will this unit control Pandora on an iPhone or allow "control by hand" of Apple products?
      03-09-2011, 09:36 PM   #278
pkirk
Private First Class

Quote:
Did you try both blades of that fuse. Only one is going to have a constant 12V. If you did then it might be easier just to pick up one of the add-a-circuit fuse taps I mentioned and just pick a fuse location. Keep going at it until you find constant 12V. There are plenty of sources there in your fuse panel. When you get it the Dynavin will retain it's settings after ignition shut-off and it will automatically come on when you insert the key.

Also, these e9x Dynavin units are exactly the same as the e46 units, except for the dash housing of course. You could probably learn a lot by going over the threads on e46 fanatics.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=803437

and a nice thread on iGo Primo
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=797457
I finally found a location that works. Took trying 4 or 5 slots. Unfortunately though, my unit is defective as the RCA AUX inputs don't work correctly. Trent is working to take care of it for me.
      03-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #279
mirbahabmw

Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi

Alex, where did you relocate the heated seats buttons?
      03-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #280
mirbahabmw

Drives: 2009 BMW 328xi

it is not in Russian, it is in Greek

I haven't seen papago in my searches but it should support any GPS capable of running on a WinCE platform. Versions that I've seen are iGo, Primo, Tom Tom, Navaigon, Ndrive and some versions of Garmin.

Im sure there are others. I installed Primo last night as it seems to be the most popular on these Dynavin units by our e46 brothers. Here is a screen shot of what it looks like, in Russian I think,
      03-10-2011, 09:19 AM   #281
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
What I was trying to describe is depicted in the sketch below.

Wouldn't it be better to utilize existing wiring to avoid running a new set of wires from HU to trunk?
In theory yes this will work but I personally wouldn't do it. You'll have to cut the Dynavin harness which can't easily be replaced plus you don't know exactly how those factory wires are routed. I believe the Dynavin will have a lower level signal over RCAs than the factory headunits signal to OEM amp. This may introduce some noise.

I'm not a fan of shelling out money for premium cables (like the Monster brand) but I remember when I built a couple of simple D-class amplifiers back in engineering school that the input impedance had a significant effect. Many half-way decent RCA cables are going to be a 75-ohm cable wherein the factory wiring would be an unknown impedance.

Considering that you can get a good cable for $4 to $5 from monoprice combined with having to hack up the Dynavin harness seems to not warrant it in my opinion. The bottom dash piece under the steering wheel will drop with 4 T10 (or T15) screws and the trim panels down the side of the car where the door sills and carpet meet pop up relatively easy. You should be able to run cables in about 15 to 20 minutes.
      03-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #282
biz77
First Lieutenant

Drives: e90

The problem you will face using the oem wiring and a low-level non-balanced signal is noise. Buy a decent set of shielded RCA cables and run them to the rear.
      03-12-2011, 01:36 PM   #283
uweric5985
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E90 LCI 323i

Garage List
2009 BMW 323i  [4.75]
Installed the Dynavin for my E90 LCI, like it so far but experiencing some issues:

1.) The warning sound (gong sound) has gone, is there any way to get it back?
2.) How do I reset the system info such as mpg, avg. speed, etc?
3.) Next and previous buttons on steering wheel are not supported in iPod mode, can it be fixed by using the Dynavin V5 firmware update?
http://dynavin.freeforums.org/dynavi...2010-t452.html

Thanks for any input.
      03-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #284
1QuikWS6
No 55mph

Drives: 09 E92 328iX N51 3-Stage

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uweric5985 View Post
Installed the Dynavin for my E90 LCI, like it so far but experiencing some issues:

3.) Next and previous buttons on steering wheel are not supported in iPod mode, can it be fixed by using the Dynavin V5 firmware update?

Thanks for any input.
1) The warning gong is sounded by the factory stereo thru the speakers. Since you removed it, there will no longer be a gong unless you install your factory HU in addition to the Dynavin. This is common amongst people that add aftermarket HU. Most of the time they mount the factory HU in the trunk...

This should not be a surprise - if you read thru any of the threads dealing with aftermarket HU - you would have known this going in.

2) If you have iDrive I think you can still do it thru there. If no iDrive, there is no way to reset the numeric values stored for MPG, Ave MPH, etc that I know of. You can still change/reset the Units only for values such as MPH/KPH, 12hr/24hr clock, mm/dd for date, TPMS - thru the left hand upper steering wheel stalk.

Again, if no iDrive, you may have to have the factory stereo installed in addition to the Dynavin to be able to reset the numeric values

3) I have no idea...
2009 328ix E92//SGM//ACS Roof Spoiler//MTech Aero Lip+Trunk Spoiler//M3 Side Skirts//CF Roundels+Grilles//M3 Novillo Interior//Perf Shift Lever+Boot//MPerf DCT Wheel//M3 GT3 eBrake Handle+Boot//ACS Pedals//M3 Mirrors//LCI Tails w/LUX Rev//DTEC V7 AE+MTec 6000K D1S+HPB HID 6000K Fogs//HPB LED Interior//RPI Scoops//CF Euro Airbox+Underhood Hsgs//K&N//BMW PE//MTech Rear Bumper-iS Sport Diffuser//CF Strut Brace//Vishnu OFT//BMW 193M's+Kumho 4X
1QuikWS6 is offline   United_States
      03-12-2011, 04:53 PM   #285
scubasteve2365
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by uweric5985 View Post

Thanks for any input.
You can reset the numeric values for the averages by simply holding in the button on the left steering wheel stalk for a few seconds. It will reset the value you have selected. I have done this for my average mpg since I installed the dynavin

The firmware update did address iPod controls and resume but I havnt applied it since I don't use the iPod connection much.

I can't help with the gong. My 07 retained it.
      03-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #286
uweric5985
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E90 LCI 323i

Garage List
2009 BMW 323i  [4.75]
Thanks for answering,

Another issue is about the dvd aspect ratio, it's not default at 16:9. I need to change it to 16:9 thru the special menu by pressing setup button on the remote control everytime when I start the car. There is no way to save the setting.