E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Parts needed for 6FL Retrofit with COMBOX



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-08-2011, 04:37 AM   #1
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Parts needed for 6FL Retrofit with COMBOX

Hi:

Can some kind soul (Technic?) tell me which parts (harness, USB ports, etc.) I need to retrofit the 6FL option into my 2011 (9/2011 production date) E93 335is? I have nav and BMW Assist and have confirmed the COMBOX installation. Both USB ports on the COMBOX are empty. I do not have the smartphone integration option.

The dealer screwed up and didn't order the 6FL, but based on my research, all of the parts are there except for the wiring and USB port in the center console.

Most of the information I found was MULF-HI retrofits and since the COMBOX replaces that unit, Any information retrofitting 6FL with COMBOX is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,185
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
In paper it should be as straight forward as buying the OEM USB port, the OEM USB cable and plugging it to the Combox. Then you will need to either enable the USB of the Combox with Autologic or NCS Expert or will have to pay for a set of FSC at your dealer to enable it.

This retrofit has not been announced by BMW so there are no final details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
Hi:

Can some kind soul (Technic?) tell me which parts (harness, USB ports, etc.) I need to retrofit the 6FL option into my 2011 (9/2011 production date) E93 335is? I have nav and BMW Assist and have confirmed the COMBOX installation. Both USB ports on the COMBOX are empty. I do not have the smartphone integration option.

The dealer screwed up and didn't order the 6FL, but based on my research, all of the parts are there except for the wiring and USB port in the center console.

Most of the information I found was MULF-HI retrofits and since the COMBOX replaces that unit, Any information retrofitting 6FL with COMBOX is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #3
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Technic, thank you very much for your reply. Can you answer a few followup questions?

1)Where can I source the USB port and cable? I checked realoem.com and didn't find anything for the COMBOX specifically.

2)NCS doesn't appear to be updated enough to access the combox, do you think an independent with an autologic would be able to enable?

3)An FSC is like a license that the dealer downloads into my car? Is that correct.

Thank you again for your help!

-Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
In paper it should be as straight forward as buying the OEM USB port, the OEM USB cable and plugging it to the Combox. Then you will need to either enable the USB of the Combox with Autologic or NCS Expert or will have to pay for a set of FSC at your dealer to enable it.

This retrofit has not been announced by BMW so there are no final details.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
11,185
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewodzien View Post
Technic, thank you very much for your reply. Can you answer a few followup questions?

1)Where can I source the USB port and cable? I checked realoem.com and didn't find anything for the COMBOX specifically.
The console USB port is P/N 61319189175 up to 03/11, cable from the port to MULF is P/N 61129187009. That MULF cable USB connector should plug into the Combox socket -they are the same connectors. I don't know anything about connecting the AUX port to the Combox yet.

Quote:
2)NCS doesn't appear to be updated enough to access the combox, do you think an independent with an autologic would be able to enable?
The DATEN files are supposed to be out already for MY2011.5. I don't know where to get them.

Quote:
3)An FSC is like a license that the dealer downloads into my car? Is that correct.

Thank you again for your help!

-Ed
It may or may not be needed. So far the USB port in the Combox is enabled by default, it is the CIC software that has to be updated to access it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Okay.. I'm making progress, but I've run into a roadblock. I'm hoping Technic can share some of his vast knowledge... puhlease...

So I ordered the parts that you suggested and I was hoping to at least test the setup by plugging in the parts directly into the combox.. but the cables I received are the wrong sex. See picture:



So my questions:

1)Can someone please tell me which part number I can buy to get the HSD data bus back to the combox?

2)Will the above cable be female/female so I can connect the console USB port (which has a male port on it) to the combox port (which is also female)?

3)How can you get the existing AUX port in the console OUT of the console? The only way I can figure to get it out is to remove the entire center console. Ack. I was hoping to be able to pop out the existing aux in port and check how many wires are going to it? The new USB / Aux in connector has both six wires AND the HSD connector body. I hope the existing aux in already has the 6 pin connector installed.

MANY THANKS for any information people can provide.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The console USB port is P/N 61319189175 up to 03/11, cable from the port to MULF is P/N 61129187009. That MULF cable USB connector should plug into the Combox socket -they are the same connectors. I don't know anything about connecting the AUX port to the Combox yet.



The DATEN files are supposed to be out already for MY2011.5. I don't know where to get them.



It may or may not be needed. So far the USB port in the Combox is enabled by default, it is the CIC software that has to be updated to access it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
coolamber
New Member
0
Rep
11
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Henderson, NV

iTrader: (0)

I had the same problem initially when I ordered parts for my retrofit. BMW did a parts substitution on the USB plug that goes from 4 pin to 6 pin. You need to find some dealer that still has the old 4 pin sockets left. The different plugs are listed in ton this page. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...34&hg=61&fg=35

61319129651 is the part number I ordered and what I received was a different one with the 6 pin back. If you can find a dealer with this part number you will have the socket you need. You also need a longer HSD cable to go from the socket pigtail in your picture to the combox in the back. They are color coded and keyed to the color for some odd reason. Since there is no electrical difference I shaved off the part of the plastic that prevented the plug from seating and it works fine. You will need one of the cables from this page: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...62&hg=61&fg=10

Either 61119129361 or 61119202749 or 61119129360 depending on the length needed to reach. My setup goes from the plug to the USB hub under the drivers seat. Then to the mulf in the back. Since you have a Combox yours may be different.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Coolamber... you ROCK! Thank you so much!

I'll try and get the correct parts. Did you have to remove the entire console in order to pull out USB/AUX socket? That thing is IN there!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
nenadbogar
First Lieutenant
Serbia
12
Rep
325
Posts

 
Drives: e92 330d
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Serbia

iTrader: (1)

any news on this? have you manage to install it?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Patrys@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
Poland
83
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolamber View Post
I had the same problem initially when I ordered parts for my retrofit. BMW did a parts substitution on the USB plug that goes from 4 pin to 6 pin. You need to find some dealer that still has the old 4 pin sockets left. The different plugs are listed in ton this page. http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...34&hg=61&fg=35

61319129651 is the part number I ordered and what I received was a different one with the 6 pin back. If you can find a dealer with this part number you will have the socket you need. You also need a longer HSD cable to go from the socket pigtail in your picture to the combox in the back. They are color coded and keyed to the color for some odd reason. Since there is no electrical difference I shaved off the part of the plastic that prevented the plug from seating and it works fine. You will need one of the cables from this page: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...62&hg=61&fg=10

Either 61119129361 or 61119202749 or 61119129360 depending on the length needed to reach. My setup goes from the plug to the USB hub under the drivers seat. Then to the mulf in the back. Since you have a Combox yours may be different.
The above might be correct if you already have the USB hub, but if you don't have it then the angled connectors won't work...

If someone is interested I am now offering the 6FL and/or 6NF retrofit kits with all parts and full remote coding. All in one solution.
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
taibanl
Brigadier General
taibanl's Avatar
65
Rep
3,643
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NA

iTrader: (4)

Patryk,

Can you look into setting up a complete retrofit kit for BMW Station for Apple Iphone (germany/france available as of 3/11). I don't have any Iphone integration or USB but would love to do this with the combox and 6NR. I'll be your first customer!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
330DJay
New Member
0
Rep
6
Posts

 
Drives: 330D M-Sport Le-Mans Blue
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lancashire

iTrader: (0)

Patryk whats the cost of a 6NF retrofit kit for my UK oct 2010 e90 with 6FL already fitted?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
Patrys@BimmerTech
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Patrys@BimmerTech's Avatar
Poland
83
Rep
1,607
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Warsaw/Poland

iTrader: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
Patryk,

Can you look into setting up a complete retrofit kit for BMW Station for Apple Iphone (germany/france available as of 3/11). I don't have any Iphone integration or USB but would love to do this with the combox and 6NR. I'll be your first customer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330DJay View Post
Patryk whats the cost of a 6NF retrofit kit for my UK oct 2010 e90 with 6FL already fitted?
I do not want to
so please send me an email with your VIN at info@modyfikacjebmw.pl
and I will answer all your questions.
__________________
BimmerTech
Phone (USA): (646) 439-7920 (7:00am - 3:00pm ET) :: info@bimmer-tech.net :: www.bimmer-tech.net
Installation facilities worldwide.

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #13
minimega
New Member
2
Rep
5
Posts

 
Drives: 320d e91
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Italy

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolamber View Post
Either 61119129361 or 61119202749 or 61119129360 depending on the length needed to reach.
I have MULF2 in the passenger glovebox and USB/AUX socket inside armrest.
Can anyone confirm that those 3 BMW codes are all cables with female connectors on both sides (4 pin) so I connect directly USB socket to MULF2 USB connector without the need for USB hub and a second USB cable??

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
chavezluc
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e63
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Hi ewodzien - did you managed to get this done? if so, can you let me know the parts needed for this assuming that the Combox is already in place?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #15
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Yes.. I got it working. I took pictures and can provide information. In fact I actually have an extra cable that I can sell to you to order. All you'll need is one additional cable (I have part number) and programming and you are done.

-Ed
__________________
2012 X5 3.5d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Mods:Factory 214 Y-Spoke 20" black-chromed wheels - Gloss black grilles - LED front/rear turns & fogs - coding mods
Other rides:2006 VW TDI Pkg 3 / 2008 Duramax LTZ / BMW K1300s
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
chavezluc
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e63
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Hi Ed, I'll buy the cable from you, I'm located in Sunnyvale so we can arrange a pick-up. please send me your info at chavezluc(at)me.com.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #17
chavezluc
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e63
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Hi Ed.. let me know if you can sell me the cable. Thanks in advance for your help with this.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #18
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

In the interest of closing this post and helping others, here is what I did to add 6FL to my 2011 E93 335is which did not have it at the factory.

Some important notes up front:
  • My procedure is NOT the best way to add 6FL to your car. I think the kit that Patrys offers in post #12 above is the best way
  • My procedure leaves the analog AUX port non-functioning since my procedure doesn't rewire the analog AUX portion. For cars without 6FL, the analog input goes to directly to the radio. When you have 6FL, the analog aux input goes directly to the COMBOX. My procedure doesn't provide instructions for connecting the analog aux to the COMBOX.
  • Car still needs to be programmed either by you or a remote programmer. I think Patrys kit includes remote programming, but I'm not 100% sure.

So what parts will you need?
  • USB Extension cable at the correct length for your application. Here are the part numbers pulled from above:
    • 61119129361 (3370mm = ~ 11 feet)
    • 61119202749 (2210mm = ~ 7.2 feet)
    • 61119129360 (2330mm = ~ 7.6 feet)
  • Intermediate cable - part number 61129202724
  • Aux input with USB connection in center console - part number 61319129651. Note that this part number is for the old 4 pin connector, but I actually got a newer 6 pin. (See this post for more info.)

Here is a picture showing the cables:



I ended up using the intermediate cable on the COMBOX instead of the center console as I couldn't get the right angle plugs to work on the COMBOX.

Installation:
  1. Remove center console
  2. Remove old AUX input connector
  3. Insert USB extension cable through the AUX input hole in center console.
  4. Connect the USB extension cable to the new AUX input with USB connection.
  5. Install the new AUX connector into the center console. Pay attention to the direction of install. You want the right-angle connector to clear the console plastic. One direction it works, the other does not. (Note that the old analog aux wires will not be connected anymore.)
  6. Route USB extension cable to the COMBOX.
  7. Plug the intermediate cable into the other end of the USB extension cable.
  8. Then plug the other end of the intermediate cable into the left-most USB port of the COMBOX.
  9. Have your programmer do their work and you should have a USB input to your COMBOX.

If you have any questions, please let me know. More pictures here:

On my gallery

-Ed
__________________
2012 X5 3.5d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Mods:Factory 214 Y-Spoke 20" black-chromed wheels - Gloss black grilles - LED front/rear turns & fogs - coding mods
Other rides:2006 VW TDI Pkg 3 / 2008 Duramax LTZ / BMW K1300s
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
ewodzien's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
280
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chavezluc View Post
Hi Ed.. let me know if you can sell me the cable. Thanks in advance for your help with this.
Sure.. I paid $56.44 from getbmwparts. How about $50 even? I'm heading up to Santa Rosa tomorrow, so if you want to meet me somewhere, it will save you a trip down to the south bay. PM me for contact info.

Here is the cable I'm selling:

__________________
2012 X5 3.5d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Mods:Factory 214 Y-Spoke 20" black-chromed wheels - Gloss black grilles - LED front/rear turns & fogs - coding mods
Other rides:2006 VW TDI Pkg 3 / 2008 Duramax LTZ / BMW K1300s
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #20
chavezluc
Registered
0
Rep
4
Posts

 
Drives: e63
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Hi Ed, Sorry for the late reply. It seems that I can not PM yet. I'll buy the cable can either paypal it or meet up let me know. chavezluc(at)me.com
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST