E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermittent Wipers Problem

01-13-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Intermittent Wipers Problem

Before anyone suggests that I take it in for warranty, yes, I will. Dealer isn't conveniently nearby, so it may be a little while before I can make time to take it over there.

I have rain-sensing (auto) wipers, and that works fine. The intermittent setting (one push up on the stalk) doesn't work when the car is in motion. The wipers then just work at normal speed. If I stop and apply the e-brake, intermittent works fine. All other wiper function works normally. Obviously, this is an electrical problem, but is it the relay or something more? Anyone else have the same problem? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Have you adjusted the speed of the intermittent wipers on your stalk? The fastest setting will act similarly to the first, continuous speed setting.

Use the scroll wheel on the stalk to adjust speed. Up is a short delay, down is longer delay.

The wipers automatically stop/slow down when you come to a stop.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #3
Couch
Colonel
Rep

Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Couch
I'm confused. The "auto" wipers button is on the right stalk. You don't push up on anything other than the settings: slow,medium,high.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Have you adjusted the speed of the intermittent wipers on your stalk? The fastest setting will act similarly to the first, continuous speed setting.

Use the scroll wheel on the stalk to adjust speed. Up is a short delay, down is longer delay.

The wipers automatically stop/slow down when you come to a stop.
Yes, I have. Forgot to mention that changing the speed setting has no effect.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #5
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Watson View Post
Yes, I have. Forgot to mention that changing the speed setting has no effect.
Speed setting will not adjust unless you are going above 2mph
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep

Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [3.22]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Couch View Post
I'm confused. The "auto" wipers button is on the right stalk. You don't push up on anything other than the settings: slow,medium,high.
Auto and intermittent wipers are 2 different settings.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #7
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
Auto and intermittent wipers are 2 different settings.
I realize that -- I think. Auto is the button with the green LED. Is it possible to use the intermittent setting (not auto) while the car is in motion? Maybe that's my problem.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
nogard13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2006 325i

Green LED is Rain Sensing.

The problem you're describing sounds like it's what's supposed to happen. You turn your wipers on low, and the car will make them intermittent when the car is stopped. Once you start moving, you will get a constant motion.

Here is how it should work:

Press the button: rain sensing
Push stalk up one: low
Push stalk up two: high
Push stalk down: wipe once
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 11:58 AM   #9
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

If by intermittent you mean the one time one wipe only action, there's no good reason why it shouldn't work at your command while in park or 1 mph or 150 mph. Speed settings also have nothing to do with using that button once. Sounds like an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Clarence Watson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
Green LED is Rain Sensing.

The problem you're describing sounds like it's what's supposed to happen. You turn your wipers on low, and the car will make them intermittent when the car is stopped. Once you start moving, you will get a constant motion.

Here is how it should work:

Press the button: rain sensing
Push stalk up one: low
Push stalk up two: high
Push stalk down: wipe once
The more I think about it and analyze the manual more carefully, I'm sure you're right. In your scenario, the "low" setting (push stalk up one) will work as intermittent when the car is stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
If by intermittent you mean the one time one wipe only action, there's no good reason why it shouldn't work at your command while in park or 1 mph or 150 mph. Speed settings also have nothing to do with using that button once. Sounds like an issue.
No, I meant what the manual describes under "Normal wiper speed":

Press once.

The system switches to operation in the intermittent mode when the vehicle is stationary.

It's that whole last part on "when the vehicle is stationary" that I was apparently too dumb to notice before. You guys saved me an extra trip to the dealer; thanks. This board is worth more than the price of admission!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence Watson View Post
The more I think about it and analyze the manual more carefully, I'm sure you're right. In your scenario, the "low" setting (push stalk up one) will work as intermittent when the car is stopped.

It's that whole last part on "when the vehicle is stationary" that I was apparently too dumb to notice before. You guys saved me an extra trip to the dealer; thanks. This board is worth more than the price of admission!
Another way to think of it is that the rain sensor replaces the old intermittent wiper setting. True intermittent wipers would be controlled by a time interval set by the switch on the stalk, and would be engaged by pushing the stalk up once. With our rain sensor, that is no longer available, although the lowest regular setting still reverts to intermittent when the car is stopped.

Having owned a non rain sensor Z3, it took me a minute to figure this out as well.

(It's always nice to avoid the dealer when the problem is not the car but the driver!!)

Tom
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:51 AM   #12
radeohedca
Private
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 328i 6-spd NAVI

Hideous rain sensor wipers

I'm totally unimpressed with the way in which automatic rain sensor mode works. I read somewhere that the system will default to regular intermittent wiper mode (sensitivity knob becomes time adjustment) if the rain sensor system fails. It's unfortunate that the mode of operation was not made to be selectable by a switch or via the iDrive system.

So my question is... does anyone know how to disable the rain sensor so that it defaults to intermittent mode ?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:56 PM   #13
Auto Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

I think not using the green button for the rain sensor and clicking the stock activates traditional intermittant wiper action, the speed of the sweeps are then adjusted with the toggle switch on the stock, I think there's 3 clicks: low, med and high. I don't recall the number of clicks as I normally hit the green button when it starts to rain.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #14
radeohedca
Private
Canada
Rep

Your 2011 must be different than my 2007. I don't have a green button. Just the button on the end of the stalk.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #15
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Drives: 335i cpe

Funny I never give it any thought, just use auto, and once in a while adjust the sensitivity. usually keep on the least sensitive, unless they are not wiping frequently enough...the wipers seem to switch to low, and then high, appropriately.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:02 AM   #16
radeohedca
Private
Canada
Rep

In auto mode I often find that there is more water on the windshield than I'd like and it obscures my view, other times it wipes when there's little rain there. I can never seem to find a good balance by adjusting the sensitivity. Seems flaky and unreliable to me. I just can't get used to it and would prefer good old reliable intermittents.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:08 AM   #17
wrickem
doesn't really care
Rep

Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
Your 2011 must be different than my 2007. I don't have a green button. Just the button on the end of the stalk.
They're referring to the button that you push that turns on the green light (that you can't see because of the steering wheel) to tell you your wipers are enabled for rain sensing.
      04-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #18
radeohedca
Private
Canada
Rep

Does intermittent mode work for you ?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:10 AM   #19
smokinHawk
623lb puller
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi MB

ya i dont think there is an intermittent just auto mode, kind of disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:18 AM   #20
Auto Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2011 SG CR 335xi e92, M-Sport

I read the manual, it indicates that a car either has intermittent wipers or rain sensing wipers.

You can turn on the wipers by pushing up on the lever. One upward push turns on the normal speed wiper, it will only go intermittent when the car is stopped.

The thumbwheel determines the speed for intermittent wipe or sensitivity of the rain sensor depending on what you have.

If you have rain sensing wipers, you are unfortunately SOL if you want an interimittent mode.

Sorry, I originally thought pushing up on the lever once activated the intermittment mode and that you could adjust the sensitivity with the thumbwheel. That's only true if you do not have a rain sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #21
KevinJ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 2k11 335is

I have a green button on my 2011

It's kind of stupid. If you press it then rain sensors are on. The next time you start the car its off?

What's the point to automatic if you have to press the button? You might as well flip the stalk. I believe you can adjust the speed with the select switch on the stalk in auto mode.

It was raining heavy and I can say there is a delay for the sensor to work. It went from light to heavy rain in a few seconds and it took maybe four+ seconds for it to increase the wiper speed.

Edit, just read the post above, the switch on the stalk adjust the sensitivity of the sensor. I'll try that next time it rains.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeohedca View Post
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:42 AM   #22
wrickem
doesn't really care
Rep

Drives: what he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJ View Post
It's kind of stupid. If you press it then rain sensors are on. The next time you start the car its off?

What's the point to automatic if you have to press the button? You might as well flip the stalk.
Because if they're on all of the time, you can forget that they are enabled, go through a car wash and have your wiper ripped off.