E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2011 328i 0-60 (video)



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #23
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
I've not heard of 335i accelerating faster by shifting at red line. HP fall off is pretty sharp past ~5500rpm on 335i unlike 328i, so I'd surprised people pull off better time by getting into lower HP range.

328i certainly has different gear ratio and final drive ratios, much higher than 335i. However, different optimal shifting point is all due to the difference in HP vs RPM in two engines.

Where is this empirical data you saw?
From a 335i guy.

Keep in mind it is not all about the curves. Even if the curve has fallen, keeping in the lower gear longer would still deliver more power to the wheels than switching to a higher gear, that is why there is this optimum shifting point that does not exactly follow the dropping curve.
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 12:32 PM   #24
e87fan89
Private First Class
 
e87fan89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 135i M sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

lol aside from the difference of a 335 and 328

Do you guys think is my good?

Im almost more then a second down from bmw's 6.9 second 0-60 on their website
e87fan89 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 12:36 PM   #25
iBoost
Brigadier General
 
iBoost's Avatar
 
Drives: into the unknown.
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Las Vegas

Posts: 3,034
iTrader: (12)

Nice run!
iBoost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90fan89 View Post
lol aside from the difference of a 335 and 328

Do you guys think is my good?

Im almost more then a second down from bmw's 6.9 second 0-60 on their website
You can do better bro, get some light weight wheels and performance tires, make your car look better and go faster, more importantly, handle better too

Of course what you did was very impressive.
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 09:50 PM   #27
conix67
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
From a 335i guy.

Keep in mind it is not all about the curves. Even if the curve has fallen, keeping in the lower gear longer would still deliver more power to the wheels than switching to a higher gear, that is why there is this optimum shifting point that does not exactly follow the dropping curve.
That's not true. When HP drops, there's no point, as the acceleration rate drops at that point.

It is not all about torque curves, but HP curve does matter.
conix67 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #28
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
That's not true. When HP drops, there's no point, as the acceleration rate drops at that point.

It is not all about torque curves, but HP curve does matter.
HP curve drops very near redline though, even more so for 328i than for 335i, in fact for 328i the HP curve almost peaks at redline then drop dead after. If you are correct, then no one would ever push redline under any circumstances, there would be no point. But you know it is not so.

My point was, if the optimum points for the 335i are close to redline, it should be even more so for the 328i. Either the software analysis was wrong for the 335i, or something else is at play, I speculated it could be the higher gear ratio the 328i uses.

Last edited by dtc100; 01-15-2011 at 10:45 PM.
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
OlagŁe
Brigadier General
 
OlagŁe's Avatar
 
Drives: 333i e92
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York City

Posts: 4,179
iTrader: (0)

nice sound
OlagŁe is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 10:58 AM   #30
conix67
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
HP curve drops very near redline though, even more so for 328i than for 335i, in fact for 328i the HP curve almost peaks at redline then drop dead after. If you are correct, then no one would ever push redline under any circumstances, there would be no point. But you know it is not so.

My point was, if the optimum points for the 335i are close to redline, it should be even more so for the 328i. Either the software analysis was wrong for the 335i, or something else is at play, I speculated it could be the higher gear ratio the 328i uses.
No, my point is optimum point for 328i is close to reline, but not so close for 335i. Yes, I agree 328i should be shifted at redline for optimum acceleration, but for 335i should be done much earlier (just before 6k rpm).
conix67 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 11:34 AM   #31
Forcefed3
Banned
 
Drives: 2008 335i
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South

Posts: 4,742
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.50]
Not to bad, when are you going to get a 335?
Forcefed3 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #32
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
No, my point is optimum point for 328i is close to reline, but not so close for 335i. Yes, I agree 328i should be shifted at redline for optimum acceleration, but for 335i should be done much earlier (just before 6k rpm).
But did you notice the OP was not shifting at redline, and there are many claiming shifting at redline is only the same or can be a little slower, which was why I asked those questions.

What many of our NA 3 owners have proven is, the NA 3s are fast, in many ways more fun to drive and handle better too, as long as you don't intent to do it at the track. The 335i owners think the 328i is too slow in a big part because they were driving an NA car like they drove their turbo car. The driving techniqes are very different, as you just pointed out.

There is nothing like being able to WOT your car as often as you like, smoothly and with full confidence. Something other brands still cannot compete with BMW.
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #33
maswastage
Resident Diesel Junkie
 
maswastage's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 AW 335d
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 1,072
iTrader: (0)

Just because a 328i is not as quick as a 335 does not mean it is not quick. To the OP, BMW is known to rate the performance of their cars very conservatively. The 0-60 time they quote is more like the minimum that just about anyone will be able to achieve under almost any conditions. It's no surprise you were able to best that time by almost a second.
maswastage is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 12:49 PM   #34
conix67
Private
 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
But did you notice the OP was not shifting at redline, and there are many claiming shifting at redline is only the same or can be a little slower, which was why I asked those questions.

What many of our NA 3 owners have proven is, the NA 3s are fast, in many ways more fun to drive and handle better too, as long as you don't intent to do it at the track. The 335i owners think the 328i is too slow in a big part because they were driving an NA car like they drove their turbo car. The driving techniqes are very different, as you just pointed out.

There is nothing like being able to WOT your car as often as you like, smoothly and with full confidence. Something other brands still cannot compete with BMW.
No I did not notice what RPM OP was shifting from 1st to 2nd. It's not visible in the video. He said it let car shift at redline using DS mode. I personally never drove 3 series /w automatic so I don't know how DS mode behaves.

I agree 328i isn't as slow as what some 335i owners say.
conix67 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #35
jopa489
BMW/Detailing Addict
 
jopa489's Avatar
 
Drives: Estoril F30 335i 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New England

Posts: 6,561
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by accel View Post
Didn't C&D get 5.9 out of stock 328i?
Correct, in a 328i 6MT. Considering the auto in the 328 adds a good 1/2sec+ to 0-60 time, it looks like your car is pretty quick. Nice.
__________________

jopa489 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #36
e87fan89
Private First Class
 
e87fan89's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 135i M sport
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: N/A

Posts: 140
iTrader: (0)

I think my next car may be F30 335xi coupe =)
e87fan89 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #37
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Correct, in a 328i 6MT. Considering the auto in the 328 adds a good 1/2sec+ to 0-60 time, it looks like your car is pretty quick. Nice.
Guys with 6AT 328i's have consistantly shown 0 to 60 under 6, not any slower than MT. I have yet read as many 6MT 328i drivers reported their 0 to 60 time.
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #38
A4rings
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 07 Space 335i
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SBizzle

Posts: 354
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
But did you notice the OP was not shifting at redline, and there are many claiming shifting at redline is only the same or can be a little slower, which was why I asked those questions.

What many of our NA 3 owners have proven is, the NA 3s are fast, in many ways more fun to drive and handle better too, as long as you don't intent to do it at the track. The 335i owners think the 328i is too slow in a big part because they were driving an NA car like they drove their turbo car. The driving techniqes are very different, as you just pointed out.

There is nothing like being able to WOT your car as often as you like, smoothly and with full confidence. Something other brands still cannot compete with BMW.
hahah how have NA 3 owners "proven" the NA 3's are fast and handle better and are more fun to drive? i was falling asleep when i was driving the loaner 328i. I also knew how to drive it properly as my father owns a e46 m3 so i know how to rev the piss out of a motor (especially a loaner haha). I guess my perception of fast is a bit skewed as my 335i was beginning to bore me with the stock tune. I actually felt like my buddies e36 328i was more fun to drive than the e92 328i because of the much lower weight.

Although i may agree that the 328i should handle a tiny bit better because of the lighter engine however i think the difference would be negligible to 90% of drivers.
A4rings is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #39
dtc100
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 328i 6AT non-sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Norcal

Posts: 1,523
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4rings View Post
hahah how have NA 3 owners "proven" the NA 3's are fast and handle better and are more fun to drive? i was falling asleep when i was driving the loaner 328i. I also knew how to drive it properly as my father owns a e46 m3 so i know how to rev the piss out of a motor (especially a loaner haha). I guess my perception of fast is a bit skewed as my 335i was beginning to bore me with the stock tune. I actually felt like my buddies e36 328i was more fun to drive than the e92 328i because of the much lower weight.

Although i may agree that the 328i should handle a tiny bit better because of the lighter engine however i think the difference would be negligible to 90% of drivers.

I did not test drive a 335i but did test a 335d with m sport, I found it more fun to drive the 328i than the 335d, so for me, it was proven I did not give the 335i a try because I wanted to stay away from the HPFP issue.

Did you mean "lighter wheels" not "lighter engine"? What if you can reduce weight at the wheels for as much as 20 lbs at each corner for a total of 80 lbs at the wheels?
dtc100 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2011, 07:48 PM   #40
mryakanisachoad
Lieutenant
 
mryakanisachoad's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 550xi + '09 M5 + '10 135i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 527
iTrader: (0)

last time i took my m5 in for service they gave me a 2011 e90 xi for a loaner.

nice car. for a camry. lol sorry.
__________________
There is no substitute.
mryakanisachoad is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #41
StevenHungarye92
New Member
 
StevenHungarye92's Avatar
 
Drives: barbera red e92 (modified)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Westchester County

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by e87fan89 View Post
I think my next car may be F30 335xi coupe =)
they havent made it yet but i dont think its gonna be the f30 coupe..like theres e90 e91 e92 and e93... maybe it will be called a f32 generation
StevenHungarye92 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #42
Smooth 330i
Captain
 
Smooth 330i's Avatar
 
Drives: Sleepy 330i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 934
iTrader: (8)

On 330 N52 the HP curve drops to ground zero @ ~6700
__________________

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Smooth 330i is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,146
iTrader: (0)

For whatever its worth my 330Ci ZHP 6MT wants to run very close to redline on its shifts. It has a raised redline from the factory.

My 335IS 7DCT performs best with a 6250RPM shift. All the quickest/fastest 335's with stock turbos at Drag Times are being shifted between 6,000 & 6300RPM.

Have seen the theoretical math examples "proving" you want to run a 335 to redline but in real life it generally does not work out. An interesting point, the default JB4 shift light is set to 6000rpm.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport - 2013 135is Cab JB4/ISO 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #44
gunsekun
Banned
 
Drives: E92 335i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: your mom's

Posts: 714
iTrader: (0)

video is 9 secs though...haha..
gunsekun is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST