E90Post

European Auto Source

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > M Sport Springs

01-15-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Drives: 00 RX300

M Sport Springs

Hi, hoping you UK members can help me out.

I'll have an opportunity to order some parts from the UK in about a month, and am looking at purchasing a set of used M Sport springs, to pair with my OEM Performance Shocks (I drive an 06 330i E90).

What are some of the rates you have on your cars (or took off) and how do they vary between options/trans/engine sizes? I believe dealers have a chart by which they determine correct spring height, if I could get a copy of this it would be perfect, also would help many other members, I'm sure.

In the states, I believe the lowest our springs go is D3/D7, while I've seen D0 rears on ebay.co.uk. Anyone share some insight on which springs I should get?

Thanks in advance

Arsenal today

Last edited by yakev724; 01-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Also, if anyone's got the springs I need and willing to sell, I'll take them (posted to London in a few weeks, or collected if you're not too far)
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 08:55 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: E91 335i Sold.

The dealers don't have a chart as such, there is a table on the online parts system (ETK or whatever its called).

I've used it with a parts guy, you pick the model in question, then you can tick or untick options as you like and the correct spring part numbers will change accordingly. I thought the ETK was a global system so it should be available in the US?

The spring 'tag' numbers like D7 or D5 like you mention (which are attached to the springs on tags) are not mentioned on the part numbers for the springs themselves. So you cannot trace back from the 'D7' spring number to the BMW part number for that spring. I think its just for use in the factory to aid assembly staff in picking the right spring easily.

I'll dig out my M sport springs if i get time and give you the spring numbers.

TBH The msport setups are pretty poor anyhow, if you're coming to the UK i'd get yourself the Birds BMW B3.5 suspension kit - it's so good its how BMW should have set the cars up!!

I bought it - that's why my M sport springs / dampers are in the shed!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=401537
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Thanks for the advice. If I owned a $30k+ 335i, I would definitely go with the full Birds' kit, but as my car is worth less than half of this, I am opting for a less expensive option.

BMW Performance shocks/dampers are available here for $150 for the entire kit sans springs and roll bars (brand new from BMW). I'd use standard sport springs, but looking for a slightly lower setup (and unique here in states ) so would like some M Sport springs. We have the yellow performance springs as a perfect option, but at $200 over the standard sports (or M Sports) springs (not really available used), they don't make much sense. Already have an M Sport rear roll bar lined up for purchase for a complete conversion.

I believe springs from any 325i/330i/335i (E90/92, non xdrive) should work with my car (based on similar weight), though I believe there are 3-4 different spring heights used between the models above based on turbos/E90orE92/MTorAT. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd also be interested in how diesel models stack up (I'd imagine 4-cyl diesel would weigh somewhat similarly to 6-cyl petrol?) as 320d for breaking are a bit more common than 330/335i.

That said, if anyone with a set of springs from the above models is willing to let them go at a reasonable cost in a few weeks, I'd likely be interested. I've contacted a few garages that I could find on ebay.co.uk, if you have another which you'd recommend I contact, I'd appreciate that as well.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

I'd be glad to help, but my M sport springs are from a Tourer though, so the rears would be too high /stiff for a saloon.

If you contact Kevin at Birds, they have done a lot of research with UK BMW springs rates in order to design their new springs which are manufactured to their spec by Eibach.

He may be able to offer you some springs only, or at least some good advice, and i'm sure they will be cheaper than BMW springs.

kevin.bird@birdsauto.com
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
I'd be glad to help, but my M sport springs are from a Tourer though, so the rears would be too high /stiff for a saloon.

If you contact Kevin at Birds, they have done a lot of research with UK BMW springs rates in order to design their new springs which are manufactured to their spec by Eibach.

He may be able to offer you some springs only, or at least some good advice, and i'm sure they will be cheaper than BMW springs.

kevin.bird@birdsauto.com
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #7
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
I bought the Eibach springs.
About 1/2" lower than M-sport, maybe less.

Look good, ride good and way cheaper than the BMW part.
      01-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1bjr View Post
I bought the Eibach springs.
About 1/2" lower than M-sport, maybe less.

Look good, ride good and way cheaper than the BMW part.
I know, I know, for us the popular choice is H&R Sport, but I'm a bit stubborn in keeping it OEM, largely because M Sport wasn't available here in the US and it would be nice to have a complete retrofit true to factory spec.

I'm planning to buy the springs used, they sell for ~50GBP.

EDIT: will call UK dealer tmrw and determine part nos. for the springs I need from VIN of same car as mine (but M Sport), then hopefully get tag nos. as well if springs in stock, then can start looking...

Last edited by yakev724; 01-17-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #9
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: RS250 CUP

Send a message via MSN to m1bjr
I just threw a set in the trash last year

Try UK eBay, or some wreckers yards over here?
      01-18-2011, 04:05 AM   #10
doughboy
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
EDIT: will call UK dealer tmrw and determine part nos. for the springs I need from VIN of same car as mine (but M Sport), then hopefully get tag nos. as well if springs in stock, then can start looking...
BTW If you ever need a UK VIN, go to the BMW used car web site and just choose any car nationwide.

You will see in the browser address bar that the ACTUAL VIN of the car you are viewing is shown - whether this is deliberate i'm not sure, but I used this to find VINS in the past.

Try this link: you can see the VIN at the end of the address (beginning V0JB), they even show the vehicle reg number too.

VIN link
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 09:09 AM   #11
yakev724
Brigadier General
Russian Federation
Rep

Quote:
BTW If you ever need a UK VIN, go to the BMW used car web site and just choose any car nationwide.

You will see in the browser address bar that the ACTUAL VIN of the car you are viewing is shown - whether this is deliberate i'm not sure, but I used this to find VINS in the past.

Try this link: you can see the VIN at the end of the address (beginning V0JB), they even show the vehicle reg number too.

VIN link
Thx, already called some private dealer on eBay.co.uk and got a few VINs, actually installed the ETK system last night for parts nos., now just finding the corresponding tag numbers.

31 33 6 767 376
33 53 6 767 344

Last edited by yakev724; 01-18-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Appreciate 0