E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Tunes & Warranty

01-16-2011, 09:50 PM   #1
GreenThree
Colonel

Drives: 2011 e90

Tunes & Warranty

Would like to hear from the guys that are running AA / OE tunes. A local tuner says the OE tune cannot be seen at the dealer level (so there is no evidence of modification), and in his many years of experience has never seen issues with dealerships and warranty.

I just leased a 2011 e90 and my biggest concern is a tune voiding my warranty.

For those that have direct experience with this: Have you had any issues with OE / AA tunes and BMW / BMW dealership voiding warranty? Thanks

2013 328i Xdrive | AT | Glacier Silver | Black Leatherette | Htd Seats | Moonroof
      01-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
GreenThree
Colonel

Bump

2013 328i Xdrive | AT | Glacier Silver | Black Leatherette | Htd Seats | Moonroof
      01-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #3
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

If they find it while deliberately doing service related work related DIRECTLY to the ECU, AND they can prove damage was incurred by said tune, then yes, your warranty is voided, JUST on the parts directly related to that portion of your warranty. In theory ANYTHING you do to your car that isn't OEM approved, right down to your lights, a dealer reserves the right to void the warranty, but again, ONLY on that specific part of your warranty. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Dark_Knight_335 is offline   United_States
      01-17-2011, 11:52 AM   #4
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

By the way, I have an AA tune, and have been serviced two times by two different dealers without issues. Again, the service was not related to ECU/ engine issues. If it were, it might have been quite a different matter. I'd say you're fine- go for it man!
      01-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside

By the way part II- go with the AA tune. AA has years of tuning experience and has made their tune to safely get the most HP left on the table (which isn't much if you're N/A) out of our cars.
      01-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
GreenThree
Colonel

Thanks. Glad you have good experience with AA for both performance and at the dealer not running into any warranty related issues. I feel like there is always that ONE TIME where it could happen. If it does, I am not willing to deal with the cost or hassle

01-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
Juan.sidarta
Banned

Drives: ex-e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDeFranco1 View Post
If they find it while deliberately doing service related work related DIRECTLY to the ECU, AND they can prove damage was incurred by said tune, then yes, your warranty is voided, JUST on the parts directly related to that portion of your warranty. In theory ANYTHING you do to your car that isn't OEM approved, right down to your lights, a dealer reserves the right to void the warranty, but again, ONLY on that specific part of your warranty. Anyone else wanna chime in?
Except for Exterior. Since there is no warranty with exterior to begin with, there is no warranty or issue with body kits

I was told by BMW of Monrovia like above, that you might lose the warranty of that section if found any problems. But I know you'd lose your warranty if you have meth in your car instantly even if you had no problems with your car. If I were you, I'd be safe and take off cold air intakes when bringing to dealers, as they could take the warranty off your engine. Which is the whole point of your warranty, the engine
Juan.sidarta is offline   Indonesia
      01-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General

Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

I offer both the OE Tuning and AA software, and personally run the OE Tuning - have been dealer serviced countless times and its never an issue.

As for both software's, BMW has no way to know if the car if flashed with an aftermarket map. All they can do is write over the information at hand, so it wont hurt your warranty but they do have the chance of overwriting the tune with stock software, but they would never know they did that. It would just be an update.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
      01-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
GreenThree
Colonel

^ Good to know. Thanks