E90Post
 


E92-lighting
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > LOC install for HiFi system



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

LOC install for HiFi system

Hey everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I just picked up a 2006 325xi with the HiFi system (I believe). I have tweeters in my front doors and I have a silver amp in the rear driver side of my trunk. I recently purchased a PAC SOEM-T. I am looking to install an aftermarket amp to power a single 12" sub. I know there have been many posts regarding DIY on how to install these things. I am just looking for clarification on everything that I have read.

Best wires to tap into for the SOEM-T LOC
1. Left and Right under seat woofers for signal for the LOC

SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -
SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -

Are these the best wires to tap into for the sound signal for the LOC?

2. Unsure which is best for the RTO

PIN 10 - thin black wire from OEM amp harness?



Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
kaigoss69's Avatar
United_States
74
Rep
3,308
Posts

Drives: '08 335i
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: JAX

iTrader: (5)

There is a hifi wiring diagram on this forum. Better yet though, I would get Technic's harness which will not do any harm to the existing wiring and will make your install as easy as pie.
__________________
Mobridge DA2 > JBL MS-8 > ARC XDi 600/4 > JBL Gti 408 Mids & Vifa OT19 Tweeters; PG Ti2 1600.5 > Morel HCW-10 & IDMax 15
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
11,567
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

That's Logic7; the HiFi amp color is black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3ys View Post
Hey everyone.

I'm new to this forum and I just picked up a 2006 325xi with the HiFi system (I believe). I have tweeters in my front doors and I have a silver amp in the rear driver side of my trunk. I recently purchased a PAC SOEM-T. I am looking to install an aftermarket amp to power a single 12" sub. I know there have been many posts regarding DIY on how to install these things. I am just looking for clarification on everything that I have read.

Best wires to tap into for the SOEM-T LOC
1. Left and Right under seat woofers for signal for the LOC

SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -
SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -

Are these the best wires to tap into for the sound signal for the LOC?

2. Unsure which is best for the RTO

PIN 10 - thin black wire from OEM amp harness?



Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

I just read that Technic. very interesting.
Now i have no idea what my best option is.
I have the SOEM-T, is that suitable? and which wires would be the best to tap into? (the ones i mentioned before?)

SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -

SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -

PIN 13 (due to Logic7 not HiFi) for RTO



sorry for my retardation!

Last edited by mark3ys; 01-10-2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:44 PM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
11,567
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Crap happens and then you die, no problem...

The SOEM-T should work with the Logic7 70W max woofer outputs. The wires to tap are pin 8/18 and 6/16 in the OEM amp. There is a diagram somewhere here with the schematics and pin assignements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3ys View Post
I just read that Technic. very interesting.
Now i have no idea what my best option is.
I have the SOEM-T, is that suitable? and which wires would be the best to tap into? (the ones i mentioned before?)

SUB LEFT
Red/White +
Brown/Yellow -

SUB RIGHT
Red/Blue +
Brown/White -

PIN 13 (due to Logic7 not HiFi) for RTO



sorry for my retardation!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Crap happens and then you die, no problem...

The SOEM-T should work with the Logic7 70W max woofer outputs. The wires to tap are pin 8/18 and 6/16 in the OEM amp. There is a diagram somewhere here with the schematics and pin assignements.
thank you very much.
is the best remote wire tap on pin 13?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
11,567
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3ys View Post
thank you very much.
is the best remote wire tap on pin 13?
Yes, back of the OEM HU/iDrive. My suggestion is to use relay and 1A fuse for protection. If that line gets damaged your OEM HU gets damaged.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Yes, back of the OEM HU/iDrive. My suggestion is to use relay and 1A fuse for protection. If that line gets damaged your OEM HU gets damaged.
is there a particular one you recommend to use?

thanks for all your help
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
11,567
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark3ys View Post
is there a particular one you recommend to use?

thanks for all your help
Any automotive relay should work.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #10
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
78
Rep
3,182
Posts

Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

The SOEM-T is rated to 55W IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
251
Rep
11,567
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
The SOEM-T is rated to 55W IIRC.
PAC rated it at 60W max; it should be just enough for the Logic7 amp unless the OEM volume and all the bass adjustments are maxed out.

http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Thanks for all your help Technic!
Got it installed today. Sounds good.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #13
itsy29
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: los angeles, CAlifornia

iTrader: (0)

To technics

I have a question, what if you don't use a relay but the one you use for line out converter has a feature that automatically turn off/on your aftermarket amp.. Is this advisable?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:55 AM   #14
itsy29
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: 2007 328i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: los angeles, CAlifornia

iTrader: (0)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18560_Hifonics-Maxxsonics-MX-1.html


Here's the product I'm talking about. It has the feature act like a remote wire
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 12:44 AM   #15
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

one thing i notice is that the bass signal is a bit to high frequency for proper deep bass. what can i do about that? is that just my amp settings and/or car eq settings? or do i need to get something that makes the signal im tapping a lower frequency?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 02:18 AM   #16
bmw325i
Brigadier General
73
Rep
4,713
Posts

Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

iTrader: (6)

Well the signal is not highpassed so it will play all low frequencies you would need to lowpass it if your using the signal for a subwoofer in the trunk as midbass is directional. Your amp should have a setting for this.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Well the signal is not highpassed so it will play all low frequencies you would need to lowpass it if your using the signal for a subwoofer in the trunk as midbass is directional. Your amp should have a setting for this.
my amp is pretty old (like 6-8 years or so)
i just seem to get a bit more then only low frequency bass
i understand it is a midbass signal
im just wondering what i can do to lower the frequency
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:30 AM   #18
mark3ys
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
15
Posts

Drives: '06 325xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Post

i was just wondering what the optimal settings are for the loc in terms of gain?
is the way it comes out of the packaging ok or should it be optimized?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:43 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST