E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dinan Stage 2 Clocking Stock 1/4 Mile Times?

10-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
KaZe
Private

Drives: 09 E90 335i

Unhappy Dinan Stage 2 Clocking Stock 1/4 Mile Times?

Hey everyone!

So I haven't had my 09 335i sedan for too long and when I bought it, the last owner told me it had dinan installed on it. Naturally, I went to the dealership where it was installed and had them run my VIN number in their system and they confirmed for me that there was a Dinan Stage 2 that was done back in 2010. I would have JB4 my car if it didn't, but either way I was going to be buying the vehicle.

Anyways, I brought my car to the track the other day and did some 1/4 mile runs. The fastest time I could knock out was 13.7 at 105MPH using my flappy paddles shifting up at 6500 RPM. It really surprised me since that's stock times pretty much. I am by no means a professional (was my first time at the track to be exact) but I don't think I did that poorly either. Other than the fact that I could have used some new tires, I wasn't getting much wheel spin and it wasn't very hot out either. Probably around 5-10 degrees celsius on that day. I know there's a million other factors that come into play, but really...can it be that off?

I came up with the ridiculous idea that he might have had it returned to stock...but why would anyone blow a couple grand to upgrade their car then return it to stock? Or maybe dinan is really just that disappointing lol.

If all the experienced members and fellow dinan buddies could chime in it would be great! Anyone else getting these times or am I just THAT BAD of a driver haha

Thanks!
      10-18-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
BEAR-AvHistory
335is 7DCT/JB4+COBB

Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK

What was the 60ft time & 1/8 mile speed - time. Regardless I would shorten the shift to 6-6100rpm. Even stage 3 is looking for an early shift.

2014 435M-Sport - 2013 135is Cab JB4/ISO 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
      10-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #3
shortseller
Captain

Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Might want to have the car reflashed(it's free) and adjust your shift point as suggested above to 6100 as recommended by Dinan.

As an alternative, based on power band curves I've seen even shift points at 5700 might yield a faster quarter. Check the website to confirm.

First time out on the strip is always a bit tough and a learning experience to be sure.

Last edited by shortseller; 10-18-2013 at 10:41 PM.
shortseller is offline   United_States
      10-18-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
dlbrooks18
Brigadier General

Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaZe View Post
Hey everyone!

So I haven't had my 09 335i sedan for too long and when I bought it, the last owner told me it had dinan installed on it. Naturally, I went to the dealership where it was installed and had them run my VIN number in their system and they confirmed for me that there was a Dinan Stage 2 that was done back in 2010. I would have JB4 my car if it didn't, but either way I was going to be buying the vehicle.

Anyways, I brought my car to the track the other day and did some 1/4 mile runs. The fastest time I could knock out was 13.7 at 105MPH using my flappy paddles shifting up at 6500 RPM. It really surprised me since that's stock times pretty much. I am by no means a professional (was my first time at the track to be exact) but I don't think I did that poorly either. Other than the fact that I could have used some new tires, I wasn't getting much wheel spin and it wasn't very hot out either. Probably around 5-10 degrees celsius on that day. I know there's a million other factors that come into play, but really...can it be that off?

I came up with the ridiculous idea that he might have had it returned to stock...but why would anyone blow a couple grand to upgrade their car then return it to stock? Or maybe dinan is really just that disappointing lol.

If all the experienced members and fellow dinan buddies could chime in it would be great! Anyone else getting these times or am I just THAT BAD of a driver haha

Thanks!
Dinan offers free lifetime reflash should have had them reflash the car to be certain, times def low. You should have also tried allowing car to shift itself in DS for comparison sake..

2008 E90 335
      10-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
idrift4wd
Brigadier General

Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [3.50]
since automatic, not much driver error unless you dont know how to launch.

maybe the car was reflashed for dealership purposes. which will overwrite dinan and you will need to have it installed again. which I wouldnt because they suck.

just get a jb4 and watch you lose a second off your 1/4 time.
      10-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
KaZe
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
What was the 60ft time & 1/8 mile speed - time. Regardless I would shorten the shift to 6-6100rpm. Even stage 3 is looking for an early shift.
The 60 ft time was 2.244 I believe and the 1/8 mile was 9.010. Thanks for the tip, I'll try shifting earlier if I hit the tracks again! Unfortunately, they're closed until next spring

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortseller View Post
Might want to have the car reflashed(it's free) and adjust your shit point as suggested above to 6100 as recommended by Dinan.

As an alternative, based on power band curves I've seen even shift points at 5700 might yield a faster quarter. Check the website to confirm.

First time out on the strip is always a bit tough and a learning experience to be sure.
Dang..I wish I knew they could offer a free reflash. I bought the car from the city next to mine and it's about a 3 hour drive. That's where the dinan was done too..so I can only go back to them or can I bring it to my local dealer? I called the dealers here to see if they would have info on my vehicle but they didn't have anything related to the dinan. Had to call up the original dealership where the previous owner had it installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrooks18 View Post
Dinan offers free lifetime reflash should have had them reflash the car to be certain, times def low. You should have also tried allowing car to shift itself in DS for comparison sake..

I knew the numbers were low when I received my results...I just couldn't believe it. Just need to find time to go get it reflashed now! Damn commute. I actually did two runs in DS and I ran 13.8 both times.
      10-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
BuraQ
Colonel

Drives: 11" E92 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [2.88]
Quote:
Hey everyone!

Thanks!
You were shifting too late with that tune. try shifting at 5700 RPMs it should get you 13.0 or 13.1

This was my previous E92 with Dinan Stage 2

400+ launches, 3 Driveshafts, No DCT Slippage, Flash Only
BuraQ is offline   United_States
      10-19-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory
335is 7DCT/JB4+COBB

Quote:
The 60 ft time was 2.244 I believe and the 1/8 mile was 9.010. Thanks for the tip, I'll try shifting earlier if I hit the tracks again! Unfortunately, they're closed until next spring .
Your launch, to be kind, is not optimal Before the season opens again get some practice launching. When you get back to the track ignore the starting lights. Let it go green & take you time to nail the physical start.

Once you are into the upper half of the 1 second range on the 60ft clock you can start to learn how to play the Christmas tree for a low reaction time.

2014 435M-Sport - 2013 135is Cab JB4/ISO 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
      10-19-2013, 07:26 PM   #9
KaZe
Private

Quote:
Your launch, to be kind, is not optimal Before the season opens again get some practice launching. When you get back to the track ignore the starting lights. Let it go green & take you time to nail the physical start.

Once you are into the upper half of the 1 second range on the 60ft clock you can start to learn how to play the Christmas tree for a low reaction time.
Thanks for the advice! My fastest reaction time was 0.250 seconds..i'm assuming that isn't as good as i thought it was hahaha. Saw some people at 0.02x..
      10-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
BEAR-AvHistory
335is 7DCT/JB4+COBB

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! My fastest reaction time was 0.250 seconds..i'm assuming that isn't as good as i thought it was hahaha. Saw some people at 0.02x..
Yeah, guys who actually bracket race or run heads up with a normal 1/2 second tree learn how to play the lights. Its all about how bright the last yellow is before you leave.

If you leave on a green bulb you lose.

10-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
Bighorns
bimmer newb

Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

I think it's safe to leave on the second yellow with BMW's famous throttle lag!
Bighorns is offline   United_States
      10-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
Wallace330
Private

Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I left on the second yellow and nailed a .07x and thought I went early. Lol.

While we are on the topic, what is the proper way to launch these autos? I have been have some seriously lackluster 1/4 mile times and I have no idea what my problem is.
      10-19-2013, 11:15 PM   #13
Sans
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2007 335i

^heres my 1/4 mile run with dinan s2 6mt. This was taken before I really knew so much about the car (shift points and launch rpm). I was shifting at 7k and launched at or around 4k.... I know, I know... Noob! It's ok though, I know I could smash that time with the current s2 that I have (even on bald sumitomos) but I prob won't get a chance bc I'm going to upgrade/stack the jb4 tune ASAP (I can't stand not having all those jb4 options!)
Sans is offline   United_States
      10-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
BEAR-AvHistory
335is 7DCT/JB4+COBB

For a actual race with an auto I would leave someplace on the yellow, determined by some practice runs, in 2nd gear. With an MT same deal, someplace on the yellow, but playing the clutch/throttle in 1st gear for a little wheel slip so it does not bog.

What RPM the launch, MT or AT power brake, should be at is determined by your tires. Main thing is not to overpower them because once they fully break lose its hard to get them back so the run will be ruined.

You can pick up a little time by staging at an angle if you can get away with it. This gives you more front tire beam blockage. Ease into the lights & just trip the staged light, don't drive any further into it than it takes to just turn it on.

When I was really into racing I use to angle stage my Corvette so that the cars natural tendency to slide its rear end left would actually straighten the car out for the run. I also used to try to get the right lane.

Street tires - stay out of the bleach box, just drive around it. When using the right lane this will also give you an excuse to be slightly angled on the staging lights. If your car dances right use the left lane when you can. If you really have to do a burnout do a quick dry one. You don't want any wheel hop it breaks differentials, other driveline parts & slows you down.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-20-2013 at 12:44 AM.
      10-20-2013, 01:23 AM   #15
KaZe
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace330 View Post
I left on the second yellow and nailed a .07x and thought I went early. Lol.

While we are on the topic, what is the proper way to launch these autos? I have been have some seriously lackluster 1/4 mile times and I have no idea what my problem is.
Yeah...many experienced drivers were leaving on yellow and I thought all my opponents were cheating me haha.

From what I've learnt for launching the autos..hold brake...gas it up to around 2k RPM maybe even higher depending on your tires and let go of the brakes and gun it when the lights turn. Pretty much the standard way of launching our autos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sans View Post

^heres my 1/4 mile run with dinan s2 6mt. This was taken before I really knew so much about the car (shift points and launch rpm). I was shifting at 7k and launched at or around 4k.... I know, I know... Noob! It's ok though, I know I could smash that time with the current s2 that I have (even on bald sumitomos) but I prob won't get a chance bc I'm going to upgrade/stack the jb4 tune ASAP (I can't stand not having all those jb4 options!)
Thanks for the vid! I was running very similar times. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the JB4 as well..it's just such a great package for the price. Feels like a waste of the dinan though on the other hand lol.

Quote:
For a actual race with an auto I would leave someplace on the yellow, determined by some practice runs, in 2nd gear. With an MT same deal, someplace on the yellow, but playing the clutch/throttle in 1st gear for a little wheel slip so it does not bog.

What RPM the launch, MT or AT power brake, should be at is determined by your tires. Main thing is not to overpower them because once they fully break lose its hard to get them back so the run will be ruined.

You can pick up a little time by staging at an angle if you can get away with it. This gives you more front tire beam blockage. Ease into the lights & just trip the staged light, don't drive any further into it than it takes to just turn it on.

When I was really into racing I use to angle stage my Corvette so that the cars natural tendency to slide its rear end left would actually straighten the car out for the run. I also used to try to get the right lane.

Street tires - stay out of the bleach box, just drive around it. When using the right lane this will also give you an excuse to be slightly angled on the staging lights. If your car dances right use the left lane when you can. If you really have to do a burnout do a quick dry one. You don't want any wheel hop it breaks differentials, other driveline parts & slows you down.

Great advice...love hearing feedback from the experienced members

I think I'll pick up a new set of summer tires before the next season..the ones that I was using were the stock Michelin run flats with 40k+ kms on them. Overall, nowhere near good tires lol.
      10-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #16
NEVER ENUF
Enlisted Member

Drives: BMW 135i

Just remember your reaction time has nothing to do with your quarter mile time. You could sit there all day long and the clock won't start until you go. As pointed out your 60ft time is where you need the work. every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 or more at the end of the track. So a 1.9-2.0 60 ft even should net you a 13-13.1 at that MPH. Drag racing is won and lost at the starting line.

You need to practice your launching. When you first start going to the track you can tend think you are an expert, or doing quite well by the way everything feels...in reality you are talking about shaving off 10ths of seconds, it's hard to tell from the seat of the pants feel. Keep practicing and your car has faster times in it. Oh, and don't hesitate on pulling the trigger on the JB4, a great unit for sure.
      10-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
KaZe
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVER ENUF View Post
Just remember your reaction time has nothing to do with your quarter mile time. You could sit there all day long and the clock won't start until you go. As pointed out your 60ft time is where you need the work. every .1 in the 60ft is worth .2 or more at the end of the track. So a 1.9-2.0 60 ft even should net you a 13-13.1 at that MPH. Drag racing is won and lost at the starting line.

You need to practice your launching. When you first start going to the track you can tend think you are an expert, or doing quite well by the way everything feels...in reality you are talking about shaving off 10ths of seconds, it's hard to tell from the seat of the pants feel. Keep practicing and your car has faster times in it. Oh, and don't hesitate on pulling the trigger on the JB4, a great unit for sure.
Thanks, I'll definitely get in some more practice next season. It just sucks because the operators started the light countdown as soon as the drivers lined up. Everyone felt rushed when we talked about it...I guess the operators wanted to get as many races in as possible since it was a very busy day. Barely had time to prep the launch properly haha..hopefully i can fix that next time!