E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Vargas stock turbo replacement or OEM?

07-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
Shadow007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe monaco blue

Question Vargas stock turbo replacement or OEM?

Well to start off, I'm in the process of having to order new turbos because my factory turbo seals are going bad due to white smoke coming from the exhaust, the engine bay, and my oil levels have went down drastically since my last oil change, 6 months ago. I've read multiple threads pertaining to having white smoke coming out of the exhaust and most people have confirmed that it is due to having bad turbo seals. I had a friend look at the car recently, he's put damn near every performance part on my car minus the methanol kit, and he said it's a strong possibility that one of my seals have gone bad. So I'm going to take my car to the dealership next week just to confirm before I make a purchase. So if my turbos are going bad, my question is, does anyone have the Vargas stock turbo replacement or any reviews using them? I'm going the replacement route because Germany doesn't honor US warranties, I have way too much sh** to take off if they did, and because I don't have the funds to fork out $3k+ for a turbo upgrade (rb, stage 2, Vishu, etc.) so the Vargas's replacements is the best alternative. I've read that the oem turbos ,that are being replaced under warranty, have upgraded internals which seems to be the same internal upgrades that the Vargas turbo have as well, according to their description. Are both of these turbo basically the same, the only difference is the name and price tag or are they completely different? The reason I was interested in the OEM turbo was because a few people where selling new ones on the classified ads which was around the same price as the Vargas, but I wanted to know if there was any major differences between the two before I made a purchase.
E92Chameleon 335I/ VTT S2/ EOS manifold PI/ JB4 G5 / BMS Flash/ BMS DCI/BMS Cowl Filters/ BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve/ MMP inlets and outlets/RB PCV/ ER CP w/ Synaspe BOV/ M2 Exhaust/VRSF DP/ ETS FMIC/ BMS OCC/ Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP/BMS Meth Kit/ST V1 Coilovers/1M Bumper/ AF-1 Hood
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 JB4'd / x5d E70

our cars have Mitsubishi TD03 turbos if u can find them, another alternative could be to rebuild ur turbo, I found these guys v knowledgable and $$ friendly (rebuild TD03 for $325)

http://midwestturboconnection.com/

Also these OEM distributors have our OEM turbos for $554 a piece if u return urs to them

http://www.tomkinsonbmwparts.com/par...iagram=viewAll
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

another rebuild guy - talk to Bob, he knows what he's doing

http://www.durabilt-turbo.com/

they also have the capability to balance the shaft at 100k RPM, I believe midwest guys do that too - thats a must
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
kenmasters
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007_e350 View Post
they also have the capability to balance the shaft at 100k RPM, I believe midwest guys do that too - thats a must
What is that and why is it a must ?

Also, what's the cost of shipping etc (minus labour install) vs going to someone local ?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmasters View Post
What is that and why is it a must ?

Also, what's the cost of shipping etc (minus labour install) vs going to someone local ?

cheers
A lot of the mechanics do not have high speed balancing equipment, ur turbos spin at upto 150k RPM, an unbalanced one will wear prematurely as u can imagine

use USPS website to estimate shipping
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Shadow007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info! As of now, I'm trying to find information/ dyno sheets on the Vargas stage 1 hybrid upgrade. I wanted to know if there was any hp/tq increase since the internals are upgraded compared to stock, but the only information I can find is all based off the stage 2 and 3 upgrades.
E92Chameleon 335I/ VTT S2/ EOS manifold PI/ JB4 G5 / BMS Flash/ BMS DCI/BMS Cowl Filters/ BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve/ MMP inlets and outlets/RB PCV/ ER CP w/ Synaspe BOV/ M2 Exhaust/VRSF DP/ ETS FMIC/ BMS OCC/ Fuel-It Stage 2 LPFP/BMS Meth Kit/ST V1 Coilovers/1M Bumper/ AF-1 Hood
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
junitos
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: T0PL3SS BIMM3R

I would go with the turbo repair if money is tight . Save your money when it comes to stage 1 upgraded turbo .. go stage two
A lot of good reading on this topic .
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
Thanks for the info! As of now, I'm trying to find information/ dyno sheets on the Vargas stage 1 hybrid upgrade. I wanted to know if there was any hp/tq increase since the internals are upgraded compared to stock, but the only information I can find is all based off the stage 2 and 3 upgrades.
You can actually get the internals ground and fitted with bigger TD04 rotors, the externals remain same so BMW can never know turbo's are upgraded
Both mentioned vendors above do that, Bob was more price favourable for this option

None pays me to get clients btw

Last edited by 007_e350; 07-22-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #9
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007 View Post
My reasoning was the same to what you mentioned. Theoretically, the VTT stage 1's with the upgraded thrusts are a more durable solution at an OEM price level. I owned a pair for a while but my car had oiling issues. I would say though, the VTT stage 1's would be a great alternative and you'd probably see a slight performance boost, especially in terms of high RPM reliability and efficiency. If your stock turbos went, it is a great time to upgrade to improve upon an existing weakness.

Regardless of what vendor you go with, I would recommend upgrading since it is apparent that the turbos could not sustain your usage / boost.

Go ahead and reference my VTT thread in the vendor reviews to get a better understanding of the Stg. 1 vs 2 vs OEM, but also consider that the issue with mine were an isolated incident.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=864583
Full Disclosure: I have Vargas turbos, and have had a few business dealings with Tony. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but also consider that my dealings have been positive.

Last edited by Snaggletooth; 07-22-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #10
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep

Quote:
our cars have Mitsubishi TD03 turbos if u can find them, another alternative could be to rebuild ur turbo, I found these guys v knowledgable and $$ friendly (rebuild TD03 for $325)

Also these OEM distributors have our OEM turbos for $554 a piece if u return urs to them

The Midwest Turbo Connection stage 1 and 2 turbos for the N54 seem to be Vargas turbos. The pricing and upgrades are identical, as is the wording from both sites.
      07-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #11
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

We work closely with Midwest. They are one of our dealers, correct they are selling our turbos. I think there are 2 recent reviews of people getting stock turbo replacements, there are also stage 1 reviews floating around if you do a search.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #12
Shadow007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post
My reasoning was the same to what you mentioned. Theoretically, the VTT stage 1's with the upgraded thrusts are a more durable solution at an OEM price level. I owned a pair for a while but my car had oiling issues. I would say though, the VTT stage 1's would be a great alternative and you'd probably see a slight performance boost, especially in terms of high RPM reliability and efficiency. If your stock turbos went, it is a great time to upgrade to improve upon an existing weakness.

Regardless of what vendor you go with, I would recommend upgrading since it is apparent that the turbos could not sustain your usage / boost.

Go ahead and reference my VTT thread in the vendor reviews to get a better understanding of the Stg. 1 vs 2 vs OEM, but also consider that the issue with mine were an isolated incident.

Full Disclosure: I have Vargas turbos, and have had a few business dealings with Tony. Take what I say with a grain of salt, but also consider that my dealings have been positive.
Thanks for the help! Your review was dead on and the information I've been searching for, especially, being that you actually had the stage 1, most of the other reviews have been strictly based on the stage 2 and 3 upgrades. I still haven't found any dyno numbers showing the performance from the stage 1. As of now, I'm just going to wait until next and see what the dealership has to say and pray to God that there isn't anything else wrong . If it is just the turbo, then I will definitely have to search around before I make the last and final upgrade. I'm actually debating now between getting the stage 1 or just save up a few more extra bucks to get the stage 2, since I will damn near be spending around $2k anyways, due to the shipping and thrust upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargasturbotech View Post
We work closely with Midwest. They are one of our dealers, correct they are selling our turbos. I think there are 2 recent reviews of people getting stock turbo replacements, there are also stage 1 reviews floating around if you do a search.
Unless Vargas can hook me up with a set of the stage 2's for a low low price lol. Is there any discounts for military people lol??? Hell I need all the help I can get...
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #13
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep

Go ahead and ask him. Most vendors do military discounts that would be the way to go.
      07-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
Tony@vargasturbotech
Banned
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggletooth View Post

Thanks for the help! Your review was dead on and the information I've been searching for, especially, being that you actually had the stage 1, most of the other reviews have been strictly based on the stage 2 and 3 upgrades. I still haven't found any dyno numbers showing the performance from the stage 1. As of now, I'm just going to wait until next and see what the dealership has to say and pray to God that there isn't anything else wrong . If it is just the turbo, then I will definitely have to search around before I make the last and final upgrade. I'm actually debating now between getting the stage 1 or just save up a few more extra bucks to get the stage 2, since I will damn near be spending around $2k anyways, due to the shipping and thrust upgrade.
Quote:
Unless Vargas can hook me up with a set of the stage 2's for a low low price lol. Is there any discounts for military people lol??? Hell I need all the help I can get...
We give 5% for military personnel
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
USAF Rick
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 08 335i e92

Quote:
We give 5% for military personnel
Woot Woot!

FBO
Instagram: RickyyyyyH
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Shadow007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well Ill be damn... so now I must figure out where Im going to get the rest of this money from lol...5% down only 95% to go... Im taking donations for the " Help A Soldier Buy Sh** For His Car Foundation" if anyone's interested?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
litxus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i sedan

Quote:

Pretty interesting info, how did you find out? Did you have your turbos rebuilt / upgraded? I would assume it is $325 a piece if go the rebuild route? Would like to know other options too, as maybe $600 a piece for stage 2 using same cores?
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #18
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
Pretty interesting info, how did you find out? Did you have your turbos rebuilt / upgraded? I would assume it is $325 a piece if go the rebuild route? Would like to know other options too, as maybe $600 a piece for stage 2 using same cores?
If u wanna go for a upgrade contact duralite they'll charge abt 400 a piece and rebuild as well as upgrade and balance ... but its 800 bucks for two I think thats overpriced /... midwest was charging crazy 2499 for upgrade
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #19
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335I

If you guys are interested in just the CHRA's, I have probably 150 of them most of which in very good condition. I'd cherry pick them and sell each one for $40 shipped, and offer better deals for more quantity.

Also keep in mind some of the biggest issues with these turbos are the internal wastegates components, and replacing them is very difficult and comes at a high cost for the custom parts. Just bringing it up as a simple CHRA rebuild is about 20% of the issues with these things, which is why buying completely new units from the dealer makes a whole lot of sense in a lot of cases. My $.02.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Send a message via AIM to themyst
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
If you guys are interested in just the CHRA's, I have probably 150 of them most of which in very good condition. I'd cherry pick them and sell each one for $40 shipped, and offer better deals for more quantity.

Also keep in mind some of the biggest issues with these turbos are the internal wastegates components, and replacing them is very difficult and comes at a high cost for the custom parts. Just bringing it up as a simple CHRA rebuild is about 20% of the issues with these things, which is why buying completely new units from the dealer makes a whole lot of sense in a lot of cases. My $.02.

Rob
not to mention if your existing stock wastegates are in good shape, you can throw these CHRAs into your existing housings for dirt cheap. a set of needle nose pliers and about an hour is all you need to replace them. there are no special clamps that are clocked a certain way like these aftermarket solutions.

I paid someone local to swap newish CHRAs onto my existing stock housings for $100, but in retrospect and watching the guy do it, it can be a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #21
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post

Rob
Are these CHRAs upgraded or stock ? I have oil leak would that resolve this ?

(No smoke while driving, my oil leak could be attributed to pressurizing intake for boost leak test what do u think, attached pics)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #22
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 335I

The problem is that usually the internal wastegates are shot. Even the ones that are remotely good are still questionable. But if you are certain you have good wastegate components, hey, more power to ya...

Rob
Appreciate 0