E90Post
 


GT Haus
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB N54 Turbo Upgrade - Full Modification Journal



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #45
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Turbos are installed but the work will be fully completed tonight, need to put all the rest of the stuff back (bottom covers, hood, engine cover, OCC, FMIC, etc..) As far as work involved everything went pretty smoothly with the exception of the following:

1) I got brand new oil lines. Existing ones were still ok and perfectly reusable (so $200 wasted for the 4 of those but did it for the peace of mind as I didn't know what condition they were in prior to taking them out)...Oil lines are metal tubes with a bit of flex pipe in certain places and if you use new ones these flex pieces aren't preformed to fit easily and they were a bit of a pain to fit but we eventually got them on. For anyone doing this install in the future, if you have an option, don't get new oil lines UNLESS your existing ones are damaged/leaking. Just change the o-rings, save yourself the hassle of fitting new ones and $200 buying them (that's $600 if you get them here in Canada)...

2) There are "2" spacers on each lower coolant line, one smaller and one bigger one. We didn't realize this right away as we only noticed the smaller of the two initially. So we tried fitting the lower coolant line and noticed that it didn't fit right at all. Naturally started swearing at Rob and his product right away...a few f this f thats, and then a eureka moment, we find the other spacer and realize there's 2 for each coolant line Anyone doing this make sure you use BOTH of them on EACH lower coolant line otherwise you're in trouble

Let you all know how it turns out once I pick it up
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:14 PM   #46
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
21
Rep
1,109
Posts


 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (4)

Yeah 99% of the time new oil lines are not required, especially if the OE turbos are in otherwise good condition. If they are seized, or the cars just been neglected, or other nonsense as such... you can get coking in the lines and that's death for the new turbos. As I've said most of the time just some brake parts cleaner and compressed air are good for ensuring clean lines (not that it can fix the rare aforementioned coked up line). I would not suggest buying new lines unless you just want to be absolutely sure you can keep installing in the event you need to replace them.

As for the spacers. There are only 2 for the lower coolant lines, one slides over each lower coolant line before sliding them into the turbo. They are provided loosely with the kit. There are also small spacers that come installed on the turbos when they arrive. They are installed on the coolant line securing stud. This is the small price to pay for a fully upgraded Turbo centersection
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 02:38 PM   #47
jpsimon
Team Zissou
jpsimon's Avatar
United_States
164
Rep
9,017
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Turbos are installed but the work will be fully completed tonight, need to put all the rest of the stuff back (bottom covers, hood, engine cover, OCC, FMIC, etc..) As far as work involved everything went pretty smoothly with the exception of the following:

1) I got brand new oil lines. Existing ones were still ok and perfectly reusable (so $200 wasted for the 4 of those but did it for the peace of mind as I didn't know what condition they were in prior to taking them out)...Oil lines are metal tubes with a bit of flex pipe in certain places and if you use new ones these flex pieces aren't preformed to fit easily and they were a bit of a pain to fit but we eventually got them on. For anyone doing this install in the future, if you have an option, don't get new oil lines UNLESS your existing ones are damaged/leaking. Just change the o-rings, save yourself the hassle of fitting new ones and $200 buying them (that's $600 if you get them here in Canada)...

2) There are "2" spacers on each lower coolant line, one smaller and one bigger one. We didn't realize this right away as we only noticed the smaller of the two initially. So we tried fitting the lower coolant line and noticed that it didn't fit right at all. Naturally started swearing at Rob and his product right away...a few f this f thats, and then a eureka moment, we find the other spacer and realize there's 2 for each coolant line Anyone doing this make sure you use BOTH of them on EACH lower coolant line otherwise you're in trouble

Let you all know how it turns out once I pick it up
So we should expect to see some datalogs tonight then?

I'd love to see some pump-gas only logs with the RB turbos (procede logs, not the other garbage logs).
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:12 PM   #48
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsimon View Post
So we should expect to see some datalogs tonight then?

I'd love to see some pump-gas only logs with the RB turbos (procede logs, not the other garbage logs).
I'm datalogging as soon as I sit inside the car ground is dry at the moment but we're getting 20cm of snow tomorrow and Wednesday...i'll try the best I can...hoping to hit the dyno where I did all my previous runs (champion motors) next Saturday and do some custom tuning with the latest V5 with Shiv...just need some Karma to come through this time around soo, goooooo Karma

Thinking of doing a few WOTs in stock mode just for sanity test sake and datalogging, then running upgraded turbo maps upping boost slowly and adding meth as I go...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #49
wazup773
Major
wazup773's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
1,114
Posts

 
Drives: 07 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Palatine IL

iTrader: (24)

Cant wait to see some dyno numbers and some pictures!! Hope the weather stays dry so you can keep working on this and have some logs ready for us!!

In chicago we might be getting 18inchs of damn snow
__________________
Tiag E90 335i AT 19 Iforged TE16 DCI HKS SSQV Bov 35% tints with windshield RennArt Exhaust Matte Black Roof Custom CF front lip Lux 5.0 v1 radar Tinted tails Matte black grills CF Hood CF Trunk Matte black window trim Euphoria 6k interior leds Mtec license plate leds Scoops 8in w7 jb3 3in downpipes p3 gauge A&L: Great work, Great customer service, and Great prices.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2011, 03:28 PM   #50
jpsimon
Team Zissou
jpsimon's Avatar
United_States
164
Rep
9,017
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 STi
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: CT

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I'm datalogging as soon as I sit inside the car ground is dry at the moment but we're getting 20cm of snow tomorrow and Wednesday...i'll try the best I can...hoping to hit the dyno where I did all my previous runs (champion motors) next Saturday and do some custom tuning with the latest V5 with Shiv...just need some Karma to come through this time around soo, goooooo Karma

Thinking of doing a few WOTs in stock mode just for sanity test sake and datalogging, then running upgraded turbo maps upping boost slowly and adding meth as I go...
good luck with the snow! we've been getting a solid storm each week, makes it tough to do much real testing
__________________
2015 STi / 335xi (solid)
www.datazap.me - fast, free, interactive data log viewing

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #51
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

No joy tonight..One of the oil lines set us back as we found it didn't sit right once the second turbo was on..new oil lines are just a tiny bit different than old ones at the edge round pieces where the bolts go..in any case they're now in there finally 100% but I'll have to wait until tomorrow night for the rest of the small pieces to be put back on...hopefully I don't get snowed in tomorrow..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 03:49 AM   #52
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Alpina_B3_Lux's Avatar
Germany
63
Rep
2,451
Posts

 
Drives: Audi R8 V10, BMW 330d E91 LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 335i  [4.39]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
No joy tonight..One of the oil lines set us back as we found it didn't sit right once the second turbo was on..new oil lines are just a tiny bit different than old ones at the edge round pieces where the bolts go..in any case they're now in there finally 100% but I'll have to wait until tomorrow night for the rest of the small pieces to be put back on...hopefully I don't get snowed in tomorrow..
Looking forward to your feedback. Great work! These (or their Turbo Dynamics equivalents) are also next on my list (only at the end of the year, though).

Alpina_B3_Lux
__________________
Audi R8 V10; sold: BMW 335i
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:10 AM   #53
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Turbos are IN! Mad props to my buddy tech who did the install and pulled it through over the weekend and 2 evenings after work...got a call this evening at 11:30PM to pick the car up and I'd already given up on them until tomorrow

Major snow storm hit southern Ontario this evening, inch of snow on the ground already and another 8-15 inches coming down over night and tomorrow...Couldn't do a single pull but I did try to hit it a few times and heard just a HINT of the brand new turbo whistle man they sound different! in a good way

Also got the 3'' AR DPs installed replacing my old UR 2.5'' DPs...might be placebo but I think there's a tiny bit less drone at 2-2.5k RPM with my old/existing AE exhaust...

Can't wait for the weather to clear up and put this puppy through its paces...anyone in the GTA interested in getting contact info for the bmw tech that did the install PM me..


Last edited by dzenno; 02-02-2011 at 09:37 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:09 AM   #54
Elie335
ايلي ٣٣٥ هاهاها
Elie335's Avatar
St Pierre and Miquelon
27
Rep
1,446
Posts

 
Drives: Vorsteiner e92
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Leb

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Turbos are IN! Mad props to my buddy tech who did the install and pulled it through over the weekend and 2 evenings after work...got a call this evening at 11:30PM to pick the car up and I'd already given up on them until tomorrow

Major snow storm hit southern Ontario this evening, inch of snow on the ground already and another 8-15 inches coming down over night and tomorrow...Couldn't do a single pull but I did try to hit it a few times and heard just a HINT of the brand new turbo whistle man they sound different!

Also got the 3'' AR DPs installed replacing my old UR 2.5'' DPs...might be placebo but I think there's a tiny bit less drone at 2-2.5k RPM with my old/existing AE exhaust...

Can't wait for the weather to clear up and put this puppy through its paces...anyone in the GTA interested in getting contact info for the bmw tech that did the install PM me..

Awesome! looking forward to hear more feedback.
Any plan for a dyno soon?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #55
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elie335 View Post
Awesome! looking forward to hear more feedback.
Any plan for a dyno soon?
Weather permitting, asap...hopefully this weekend if shop can squeeze me in for a bit..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:09 AM   #56
Rob@RBTurbo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rob@RBTurbo's Avatar
21
Rep
1,109
Posts


 
Drives: 335I
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO

iTrader: (4)

Awesome, yes they sound like they can BREATHE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
..Couldn't do a single pull but I did try to hit it a few times and heard just a HINT of the brand new turbo whistle man they sound different! in a good way

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #57
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Sniz's Avatar
190
Rep
10,572
Posts

 
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ellicott City, MD

iTrader: (1)

good stuff, your patience will be tested in the next week w the bad weather. My M3 has been hiding in my garage for the past month almost. Every week we get something and the roads have a terrible coating of salt. Traction is terrible.

hope they perform up to snuff! I'm betting they will.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 03:37 PM   #58
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
good stuff, your patience will be tested in the next week w the bad weather. My M3 has been hiding in my garage for the past month almost. Every week we get something and the roads have a terrible coating of salt. Traction is terrible.

hope they perform up to snuff! I'm betting they will.
I waited forever for these turbos to be R&D-ed by Rob Beck and people chiming in over the past 2 years, had the deposit in back in June 2010 so waiting a few days more is....PAINFUL!

my peak numbers were 402whp/450wtq on pump 94+meth (50/50) at around 17.5psi...baseline with all boltons was 262whp/280wtq (valet tune mode)...anything above 460whp on pump (94 octane sunoco)+meth (50/50) at around 19-20psi I'll be really happy with...old numbers were on old V4 auto-tune maps...now it'll be on latest V5...wish my ACT clutch holds up
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 07:36 PM   #59
farbmw
Brigadier General
farbmw's Avatar
Trinidad_and_tobago
76
Rep
3,972
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 6SPD MANUAL!
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Turbos are IN! Mad props to my buddy tech who did the install and pulled it through over the weekend and 2 evenings after work...got a call this evening at 11:30PM to pick the car up and I'd already given up on them until tomorrow

Major snow storm hit southern Ontario this evening, inch of snow on the ground already and another 8-15 inches coming down over night and tomorrow...Couldn't do a single pull but I did try to hit it a few times and heard just a HINT of the brand new turbo whistle man they sound different! in a good way

Also got the 3'' AR DPs installed replacing my old UR 2.5'' DPs...might be placebo but I think there's a tiny bit less drone at 2-2.5k RPM with my old/existing AE exhaust...

Can't wait for the weather to clear up and put this puppy through its paces...anyone in the GTA interested in getting contact info for the bmw tech that did the install PM me..

Wicked, you know I need that number!!
__________________
Have BT Tool professional, will scan and clear codes on your BMW. And now I am able to code my 2011 335is and M4

Link to my M4 euro delivery! http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1006526
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #60
Clap135
Brigadier General
Clap135's Avatar
53
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 N54
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sticky's Mom House

iTrader: (1)

Glad everything seemed to work for you denzzo, when the track open? lol
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #61
Slops
Major General
Slops's Avatar
South Africa
61
Rep
5,367
Posts

 
Drives: 2005 C55 AMG
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Oxford

iTrader: (2)

Awesome stuff ... Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #62
Ilma
Colonel
29
Rep
2,576
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: hometown

iTrader: (0)

Good Karma.....Good Karma......Good Karma......you get my drift!
__________________
Sticky is an idiot
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 11:43 AM   #63
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

If anyone is interested in my stock turbos PM me...

They're in really good condition still...they're Dec 2007 production build with the stiffer wastegates and better actuators from what I measured with the Vernier tool...never any wg rattle...if you'd like to eliminate rattle on your current ones or better yet send them to Rob Beck for an upgrade they're perfect...last runs at the track got me to almost 122mph with them and caused my OEM clutch to slip and brake my rear axles so trust me they work just fine
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #64
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
480
Rep
15,046
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Roads are clear, sun is out.. Where are your on the street reviews LOL

MIke
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #65
cocoturkey
Lieutenant
Taiwan
6
Rep
441
Posts

 
Drives: 08' e92 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Taipei

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I waited forever for these turbos to be R&D-ed by Rob Beck and people chiming in over the past 2 years, had the deposit in back in June 2010 so waiting a few days more is....PAINFUL!

my peak numbers were 402whp/450wtq on pump 94+meth (50/50) at around 17.5psi...baseline with all boltons was 262whp/280wtq (valet tune mode)...anything above 460whp on pump (94 octane sunoco)+meth (50/50) at around 19-20psi I'll be really happy with...old numbers were on old V4 auto-tune maps...now it'll be on latest V5...wish my ACT clutch holds up
i'm looking forward to your dyno numbers with upgraded RB turbos!! I purchased my last month.... hopefully, i would get it before the end of this month~
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #66
dzenno
Banned
Canada
114
Rep
5,883
Posts

 
Drives:
Join Date: Feb 2006

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Roads are clear, sun is out.. Where are your on the street reviews LOL

MIke
I wish I'd even be tempted to take a day off work to do some winter tire burning Snowy roads can be fun off boost too
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST