E90Post
 


Evolve Automotive
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Weight Loss & a Muffler Delete



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
Some other things that I have been reading on the EVO forums are small but do add weight. Trunk carpet, floor mats, then of course your intake, exhaust, HFC (if permissible), coilovers, even lighter radiators and taking out radiator fans. I haven't spent much time with my head under the hood of my Bimmer so not sure if there are two but a lot of EVO owners remove the second radiator fan. Buschur and AMS sell Mini battery kits. You would need to fob your own tray but its a start!

There are other drastic things but that would get crazy like speakers, AC, door insulation, and front and rear bumper supports. A little too drastic for the street though I think.

Good luck with everything man!
Trunk is all gone, probably won't be putting anything back in there ever, all the floor mats are out except for my stock carpet one. All the things you've mentioned are on the list, I just don't have the funds to do everything at once, but if all goes well I should be sitting at around 3100 curb weight by the end of this coming summer.

I have a buddy with an e46///m that is gutted like you're talking about, he doesn't daily drive his though. I'm thinking I still need just a bit of comfort, in regards to A/C and Stereo, haha.

But thanks man, once the weather clears up here in KC i'll get some shots for you guys.

The e90 with the rear seats/trunk out looks so much more cosmetically pleasing than doing that to an e46, all the guys in the local club were really surprised.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #24
berserkerx
Private First Class
 
berserkerx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Trunk is all gone, probably won't be putting anything back in there ever, all the floor mats are out except for my stock carpet one. All the things you've mentioned are on the list, I just don't have the funds to do everything at once, but if all goes well I should be sitting at around 3100 curb weight by the end of this coming summer.

I have a buddy with an e46///m that is gutted like you're talking about, he doesn't daily drive his though. I'm thinking I still need just a bit of comfort, in regards to A/C and Stereo, haha.

But thanks man, once the weather clears up here in KC i'll get some shots for you guys.

The e90 with the rear seats/trunk out looks so much more cosmetically pleasing than doing that to an e46, all the guys in the local club were really surprised.
One other thing that came to me in my sleep. I know you were saying you need some creature comforts. But you could go SRT-4 style if it's. Not to hard on these cars. But remove the auto locks and windows in the back and put manual stuff in. Hope that some of my suggestions are helping you out man.
berserkerx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #25
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
One other thing that came to me in my sleep. I know you were saying you need some creature comforts. But you could go SRT-4 style if it's. Not to hard on these cars. But remove the auto locks and windows in the back and put manual stuff in. Hope that some of my suggestions are helping you out man.
The power window stuff is very light in these cars, if you've ever replaced the window regulators you'd see. Its all plastic, a manual window might even add weight at this point lol.

You can do Lexan though, if you want to go big
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2011, 05:40 AM   #26
berserkerx
Private First Class
 
berserkerx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
The power window stuff is very light in these cars, if you've ever replaced the window regulators you'd see. Its all plastic, a manual window might even add weight at this point lol.

You can do Lexan though, if you want to go big
Lol you would definitely know more than I would.

I just remember my auto windows in my evo weighing a lot.

What kind of lighter rims are people putting on these cars?
berserkerx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
The power window stuff is very light in these cars, if you've ever replaced the window regulators you'd see. Its all plastic, a manual window might even add weight at this point lol.

You can do Lexan though, if you want to go big
My ma actually works for a distributor of polycarbonate, and i've got a buddy with a track prepped e46///M, he's going that for his window replacement..stuff is surprisingly cheap for the 1/16th cut too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
Lol you would definitely know more than I would.

I just remember my auto windows in my evo weighing a lot.

What kind of lighter rims are people putting on these cars?
I'm going to be running Apex Arc-8's this spring, probably 18x9 square all around, that and some 23lb Continental ExtremeContact.

The exciting thing is, from my stock set-up, I will be dropping over 50lbs of rotational mass.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #28
Lebo932
Private
 
Lebo932's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gettysburg, Pa

Posts: 90
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
07 328i  [0.00]
forged advan's are always light and awesome. i've done the muffler delete and let me tell you that thing is heavy! i am also interested in doing some weight reduction, how easy is it to take out the rear seats? i'd leave the passenger seat in mine i think ( for the ladies) but i can imagine with only the muffler delete and rear seats i'd be feeling a difference
Lebo932 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2011, 03:31 PM   #29
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
My ma actually works for a distributor of polycarbonate, and i've got a buddy with a track prepped e46///M, he's going that for his window replacement..stuff is surprisingly cheap for the 1/16th cut too.

Oh really now? Like how cheap, I want lexan rears and back windsheild too.
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #30
allmotorh22
making his own parts.
 
Drives: Naturally Aspirated
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: los angeles

Posts: 142
iTrader: (2)

if you got an extra $1500 laying around, you should try a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft. not only will it weigh half as much as the stock drive-shaft, it's stronger and will put more power to the ground from the engine (dyno proven) because of less parasitic drive-train transfer loss.
__________________

For Sale: Jet Black pre-LCI front bumper/hood/trunk lid, oe tail lights, 2 oe 16 inch rims w/ good tires. PM w/ offers.
allmotorh22 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #31
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebo932 View Post
forged advan's are always light and awesome. i've done the muffler delete and let me tell you that thing is heavy! i am also interested in doing some weight reduction, how easy is it to take out the rear seats? i'd leave the passenger seat in mine i think ( for the ladies) but i can imagine with only the muffler delete and rear seats i'd be feeling a difference
MD and losing the rear seats probably netted me around 100lbs of weight loss. That's 10hp regained and the car certainly feels spritely. It's also loud, and I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
Oh really now? Like how cheap, I want lexan rears and back windsheild too.
CHEAP, like less than your cable bill for all. PM me if you're serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorh22 View Post
if you got an extra $1500 laying around, you should try a Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft. not only will it weigh half as much as the stock drive-shaft, it's stronger and will put more power to the ground from the engine (dyno proven) because of less parasitic drive-train transfer loss.
Hah! Eventually i'll consider this as I do believe it's a strong result, but I certainly don't have 1500 laying around. There are other things to buy before that as well that would put way more power down.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #32
berserkerx
Private First Class
 
berserkerx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

How is this project coming along? I kind of had an idea that you could do that would possibly net more power and lighten it up a bit.

Have you done the muffler delete yet? If so have you also thought about the secondary cat delete? I mean I don't know the real weights on it but that would be something you could do.

If that sounds too loud you could always use this to quiet it down.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...oducts_id=1348

I know its for evos but I think if you did a muffler delete and put this in place of the secondary cats like it was meant to do it would help. You could also find a reputable exhaust shop to put it all on. Just make sure you get stainless.

Also which braille battery did you get?

Do these cars have starters? I have been told the cylinder closest to TDC just fires and starts these cars is that true?
berserkerx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-06-2011, 06:56 PM   #33
E46toE90
Sparkling Graphite Metallic FTW
 
E46toE90's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: the bronx

Posts: 2,556
iTrader: (11)

When I replaced the muffler on my e46 the rear of my car raised

It's sick how heavy those things are
__________________
E46toE90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2011, 06:43 PM   #34
sk8board511
Captain
 
sk8board511's Avatar
 
Drives: 07-E90/99' Cherokee Beater
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: So. Me.

Posts: 684
iTrader: (0)

on topic but off topic could you post up a pic of your rear "interior" or whats left i want to see what it looks like without the rear seats
__________________
KING"ish" OF Changed for collins
Musilli Performance
AT HOME SERVICE-PM for Details
Street, Track, Drag Bike builds
Installations, Maintenance, Detailing
sk8board511 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #35
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
 
shazzy04's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 E90 6Spd Bsm
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,791
iTrader: (6)

Send a message via AIM to shazzy04 Send a message via MSN to shazzy04
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46toE90 View Post
When I replaced the muffler on my e46 the rear of my car raised

It's sick how heavy those things are


You're right. Those things are dumb heavy
__________________

07 E90 328i| Eurocharged | Black Kidney Grille | GP Thunder 8.5k Halogens | aFe Dry Intake | BSM Splitters | C/F Emblems | Muffler Delete | 20mm Spacers | Blacklines | Rpi Air Scoops | CF Wrapped Trim| Rho Plate | Powdercoated 197s | Koni Yellows | H&R Sport
shazzy04 is offline   South Korea
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #36
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkerx View Post
How is this project coming along? I kind of had an idea that you could do that would possibly net more power and lighten it up a bit.

Have you done the muffler delete yet? If so have you also thought about the secondary cat delete? I mean I don't know the real weights on it but that would be something you could do.

Also which braille battery did you get?
What is your idea? I'm at a standstill right now, haven't had the time to tear anything else out. Like I said in previous posts the car is more lively and visceral.

MD is done, I am in love with it. Now that i've seen Gavin's midpipe set up that's probably what i'm going to be running this summer. I don't really give a shit about how loud the car is/who I piss off. It's probably going to be pretty raspy.

21lb just to make sure all the stock electronics won't twack. I'm waiting until the OE battery dies in my car, which oddly seems to be running strong still after almost 6 years..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8board511 View Post
on topic but off topic could you post up a pic of your rear "interior" or whats left i want to see what it looks like without the rear seats
Yea give me a few minutes and i'll post some up.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 03:47 PM   #37
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Pictures of rear seat delete, don't flame too hard, I haven't gotten around to removing all the trunk/rear seat carpeting yet, although i'm not sure i will, it would be a negligible 5lbs or so.






__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #38
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

aaaand one more.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Btw people can actually ride back there, it's not too terribly uncomfortable. And since I left the belts in it's completely legal to do so.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 05:03 PM   #40
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
 
Gavin@MMW's Avatar
 
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 818/805

Posts: 3,902
iTrader: (18)

That reminds me of the old time Rumble Seats for some reason
Gavin@MMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2011, 09:24 PM   #41
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin@MMW View Post
That reminds me of the old time Rumble Seats for some reason
Hahah! Truth!
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #42
BcuzAWD
Colonel
 
BcuzAWD's Avatar
 
Drives: with E85 on 22psi at 475tq
Join Date: May 2008
Location: norcal

Posts: 2,584
iTrader: (8)

Do you get airbag warning with no rear seats? I have the bottoms out but the backs i heard will throw a code.
BcuzAWD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #43
guerilla twang
I do my crosswords in pen.
 
guerilla twang's Avatar
 
Drives: OEM+ 330i
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: KCMO

Posts: 751
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrios View Post
Do you get airbag warning with no rear seats? I have the bottoms out but the backs i heard will throw a code.
No, I imagine if you take the seatbelts out that you would though.
__________________
GRUPPE TITAN Midwest
guerilla twang is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #44
berserkerx
Private First Class
 
berserkerx's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

I was going to say you could delete the secondary cats and just put a resonator in place of it to keep it a little quiet and then just delete the muffler with some tips. The midpipes by gavin look pretty good!!! i was going to have a shop do something like that. Basically a straight pipe back with a resonator in place of the cats and then dual it out. If that is too loud I would just put two resonators on the Y pipe and take out the other.

I have seen this on evos before. In fact buschur racing has an exhaust for the X that gave me the idea.

I was trying to decide which battery to get braille but I don't want to get one that is too small and wont run all of my electronics in the car.
berserkerx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST