E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Bluetooth Retrofit Success

12-23-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
everlast
Malt'm'n'Salt'm
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xiT

Note that it is possible that if you have a MULF-2 unit to code for bluetooth so all you need to add is a BT antenna and the mic. My '08 328xi touring has the MULF-2 and I successfully added the Bluetooth to the VO. After letting the car sleep, the "Phone" option appeared in the radio and I can place calls, etc. I'm currently waiting for my microphone and antenna to come in from Tischer.

I believe MULF-2 High units are found in cars with BMW Professional radio with USB in the center console. It's easy to check, just pull up the cover in the trunk and look for it!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 01:11 PM   #46
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by respectBMW View Post
Just out of curiosity have you tried calling your dealership for prices? If you check realoem.com for prices they turn out to be similar.
I did. You quoted me and responded to my post up there ^^^^ with my local dealership and their prices they gave me. You responded with the prices from your local dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #47
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
I did. You quoted me and responded to my post up there ^^^^ with my local dealership and their prices they gave me. You responded with the prices from your local dealership.
Oh my mistake. I just read the prices thinking you got that information from another thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 07:48 PM   #48
respectBMW
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
I just finished my installation and I got there error just like Armito stated. It was bit tedious especially when I had to take the seats out and deal with the wiring. Now I just need to get it coded and I will have bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 12:30 AM   #49
Inventor
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi sportwagon

Update to my install...
I got in contact with Dimsum before Xmas and we met up; he was able to sucessfully code the car to accept the TCU. He added option code "S664A" (MOBILE PHONE, US STANDARD) to all affected modules (I think they were: CAS, NFRM, FZD, TCU, & 2RAD) and everything worked - voice commands & Bluetooth.
At this point, I had a couple minor problems setting up the phone: The passcode "0000" did not work, I ended up trying passcode "1234" and I was connected!!! Also, the cell's phonebook did not fully load... for some reason it did not load all the contacts, I realized that all the items saved to the SIM were missing, but it did load the contacts saved to the phone in outlook format - After importing all contacts from SIM and re-syncing... the phonebook now loads.

I highly recommend using Dimsum, great service and knowledgeable guy...
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #50
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
Update to my install...
I got in contact with Dimsum before Xmas and we met up; he was able to sucessfully code the car to accept the TCU. He added option code "S664A" (MOBILE PHONE, US STANDARD) to all affected modules (I think they were: CAS, NFRM, FZD, TCU, & 2RAD) and everything worked - voice commands & Bluetooth.
At this point, I had a couple minor problems setting up the phone: The passcode "0000" did not work, I ended up trying passcode "1234" and I was connected!!! Also, the cell's phonebook did not fully load... for some reason it did not load all the contacts, I realized that all the items saved to the SIM were missing, but it did load the contacts saved to the phone in outlook format - After importing all contacts from SIM and re-syncing... the phonebook now loads.

I highly recommend using Dimsum, great service and knowledgeable guy...
Interesting, didn't know it had to be added to each module? I thought it was only CAS using FA_WRITE. Also I thought the FA codes had to begin with $ (and service codes begin with a +)?

Forgive me if I'm completely out of whack here, I'm still new to coding.

Last edited by ZZZZ; 01-02-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #51
Inventor
Rep

I have not done any coding myself, I was watching over his shoulder. From what I've read, to add the option code to the VO the "S" is substitituted for "$". So, in this case, I believe he added "$664"... can't remember exactly.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #52
Inventor
Rep

Also, I'd like to confirm the OP's statment that the FZD does NOT need to be replaced with a SOS equipped module. I used the original FZD and only added the microphone to it. I have read on other forums that it is not possible to activate bluetooth without it, but my guess is that they may have been adding a different option code (i.e. BMW Assist - which would obviously require the SOS button installed to work).

Note, my car was pre-wired with phone prep S640A & BMW Professional radio (non iDrive).

Last edited by Inventor; 01-03-2012 at 05:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2012, 10:06 PM   #53
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventor View Post
I have not done any coding myself, I was watching over his shoulder. From what I've read, to add the option code to the VO the "S" is substitituted for "$". So, in this case, I believe he added "$664"... can't remember exactly.
Thanks, very good to know. My module should be coming in on Thursday, so I'll be getting the mic, bracket, and antenna locally (maranello bmw). I will try to add $664 to the VO in the modules you mentioned, hopefully I don't end up with a dead bimmer.

I also ordered my TCU form eBay, I'll check getbmwparts.com like yourself and see how different the pricing is.

Also driving an 06 325i (sedan though) prewired for option S664 according to the build sheet. No SOS.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2012, 12:27 PM   #54
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

I have folding rear seats. How do I remove the back to access the distribution block? All the instructions I find on here are for non-folding. Can't see any obvious way to remove it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #55
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

bump, any help is appreciated. would like to finish installing this on the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #56
Armito
Nai re!
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 - Black

Pull it up from the bottom and away, then the top clip just pops off.

Picture of how the clip are on. Patience is key as well I have the same setup with fold down seats in my e92.

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #57
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armito View Post
Pull it up from the bottom and away, then the top clip just pops off.

Picture of how the clip are on. Patience is key as well I have the same setup with fold down seats in my e92.[/IMG]
THank you very much for your help Armito. Took me a hot minute to figure out what I'm looking at, and why your rear seats are shaped so funny, until I looked at my car again with the seats folded down.

I thought the part that came off was the back of the fold down seats. (the part that makes the wall of the trunk when the seats are in the closed position).

Now I see, it's not the actual fold down seat itself, but the vinyl/leather piece beside it.

Got it off last night, will complete the retrofit later on today.

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #58
Armito
Nai re!
Greece
Rep

Picture above is not from my car but from another member on the forum. The MOST block is on the drivers side
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #59
Jddcrew
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i convertible

Does this BT do A2DP or just Handsfree?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 01:51 PM   #60
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Okay, so I came upon another hitch.
The TCU I ordered doesn't have a place for the blue cable.
Instead there is just a hole with a white sticker over it.
Is this normal? The BMW TIS diagram shows this cable plugged in.

See photos attached:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #61
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Here are what my MOST blocks look like.
The one with only green wires is the upper block.
I flipped them around to show the numbers on the back, so they go from 5 4 3 2 1.

Am I correct in disconnecting both cables from position 2 on the upper block,
and putting the upper one in position 1 on the lower block, (which will bump the other
cables over. Current Pos 1 moves to Pos 2, Current Pos 2 moves to Pos 3)
and the the green cable in the bottom can go in position 3 on the bottom of the lower block?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Armito
Nai re!
Greece
Rep

ZZZ,

Correct, but your TCU might be in position #1 on the upper block and not #2. If you use #2 from the upper block and it does not work use #1 and try again. You can verify if it is from tcu by flashing light in cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2012, 08:24 PM   #63
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Thanks Armito. You were correct it was in position 2, I used the flashlight trick to verify. My radio is still working, so I assume that means it is hooked up properly. Still need to install the BT antenna and do the coding. Difficult to find the time when I get home from work and it's already dark and I don't have a garage to work in. Hopefully this weekend.

Did your TCU also not have a plug for the blue cable?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 12:21 PM   #64
M BROK3
Major
Rep
Drives: F95 , G80 M3, F80 M3, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZ View Post
Thanks Armito. You were correct it was in position 2, I used the flashlight trick to verify. My radio is still working, so I assume that means it is hooked up properly. Still need to install the BT antenna and do the coding. Difficult to find the time when I get home from work and it's already dark and I don't have a garage to work in. Hopefully this weekend.

Did your TCU also not have a plug for the blue cable?
I installed everything following this thread and my tcu didn't have anything for the blue connector either so I just tucked it under.

Also I broke a clip on one of the blocks so I just replaced it with the top block that is not in use and everything work fine. Got the SOS error now just need to find someone to code this lol.

COTM Pics Here
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 06:00 PM   #65
Armito
Nai re!
Greece
Rep

No blue connector on mine as well, but I did not have the 4th blue wire in trunk. I beleive the 4th wire is for GPS (I have Idrive).

Picture from my install below.

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #66
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep

Awesome, awesome news. Thank you very much Armito for continuing to support this thread and help us with our installs.

Also appreciate your assistance x-ception with the blue cable. I was worried at first because all the google searches I've found about the blue cable is for the e60 5-series says it is for 'voice recognition'. I also broke one of the little clips on the blocks, got too aggressive taking it off at first. Had a fun time getting the microphone installed too, pain in the ass removing the light console. SO much easier back on the e46 and e36 to do these types of things.

My car is in the shop until next week, have a loaner 2012 G37x to kick around in until then... which has bluetooth and Sirius XM radio. Now I really want that bluetooth installed, and next I'm going after installing Sirius. Really enjoy the commercial free music.

Next week I'll try to code the module, if I run into any hiccups I'll contact Dimsum and go from there.
Appreciate 0