E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Question about rim options when purchasing a new BMW.

03-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
Sorjai

Drives: 2010 335i Space Gray Coupe

Question about rim options when purchasing a new BMW.

Hi guys, I was wondering if BMW actually allows you to choose any style rims you like, if you're willing to pay the $$$ for it. Because I am moving to Toronto real soon and will probably be purchasing a new 335i e93, but the new rims for them are all very UGLY. Do you think it be possible to add another model's rim style =S .. thanks for your help!
Sorjai is offline   Canada
      03-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Flyer
Captain

Drives: 2011 e92xi

You can usually only pick the OEM rims when you order a car. But what you should do is get the cheapest rims from the dealor to save money, then get either used OEM rims that you really like or after-market rims off this forum. You can save a ton of cash that way and get exactly what you want!
      03-15-2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Tom K.
Major General

Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

BMWUSA lists a few wheel options for the 335i 'vert:

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...cessories.aspx

Tom
Tom K. is offline   United_States
      03-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
morfinx
Shenanigans

Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive35i

A lot of companies make replicas wheels of OEM BMW styles. They look identical and are usually something like 1/3 of the price. A lot of the guys on the forum go that route.
morfinx is offline   United_States
      03-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #5
MassBimmer
Major General

Drives: E90 LCI 328i xDrive

Garage List
2009 BMW  [4.50]
To accurately answer your question, you can only order rims available for your car. For instance, if you ordered an E93 335, you can't order OEM M3 wheels for it.
      03-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
A lot of companies make replicas wheels of OEM BMW styles. They look identical and are usually something like 1/3 of the price. A lot of the guys on the forum go that route.
yea but replicas usually suck. Not only do they frequently get the dimensions and spoke curvatures wrong, they are also frequently not made to oem spec in terms of structural strength and weight. OEM rims are usually affordable enough that one shouldn't have to skimp out and get the fake version. It'd be like getting a fake timex.

As opposed to getting the cheapest rim available, which would mean you have to opt out of sport package or M-sport, I'd just not opt for the 19 inch option that costs $1k+ more, but order the car normally and sell the wheels and tires in classified as soon as you get the car. And go order the better oem rims from Tischer with tires. They along with some other dealers have much better pricing on new oem wheels. Say no to replica.
Edward is offline   United_States
      03-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
morfinx
Shenanigans

Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
yea but replicas usually suck. Not only do they frequently get the dimensions and spoke curvatures wrong, they are also frequently not made to oem spec in terms of structural strength and weight. OEM rims are usually affordable enough that one shouldn't have to skimp out and get the fake version. It'd be like getting a fake timex.

As opposed to getting the cheapest rim available, which would mean you have to opt out of sport package or M-sport, I'd just not opt for the 19 inch option that costs $1k+ more, but order the car normally and sell the wheels and tires in classified as soon as you get the car. And go order the better oem rims from Tischer with tires. They along with some other dealers have much better pricing on new oem wheels. Say no to replica.
I think that's a bit of a blanket statement. While I have stock wheels myself, there are A LOT of people who run replica wheels here that are quite happy with them and have had no problems.
morfinx is offline   United_States
      03-15-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Edward
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
I think that's a bit of a blanket statement. While I have stock wheels myself, there are A LOT of people who run replica wheels here that are quite happy with them and have had no problems.
You're right in that it is a bit of a blanket statement, but I stated my opinion on half the facts only because it is fairly difficult to judge which replica manufacturers are decent and which are not.
There was a guy who was driving on replica LMs in Europe and hit something in the road that caused the rim to split in half, amongst other incidents that I've seen with them not being able to handle normal road irregularities.
You can certainly run replicas with no problem, especially if you get one of the better brands and drive carefully. I just don't like wheels that are merely styled to mimic an already existing wheel that is readily available and likely higher quality despite cost.
I also don't believe in taking a step down in performance (strength/weight) from stock wheels, which are fine just as they are in that department for normal daily driving.
Just opinions though. I did not mean to offend anyone on replicas and certainly not those who support and sell them on the forums.
Edward is offline   United_States