E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 3-series March 2011 Production Changes (U.S.)

02-04-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
mr_milo
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 328i

I really didn't plan on paying the extra for the M-Sport package and REALLY REALLY don't like the new wheel styles.

So I guess this means I need to find a dealer with a February production allocation opening?
mr_milo is offline   United_States
      02-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #24
buggy4cars
Private

Drives: 2011 BMW 328I M Sport 6MT

My 328i M Sport just arrived last week. Thank goodness I didn't get those 152's. Don't know what I would have done if that was the wheel. Worst thing is now you've got to spend $3000 just to get the sport seats. I bet a lot of people were going for the Sport Package just for the seats.
Attached Images

02-04-2011, 08:30 PM   #25
mr_milo
Captain

Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggy4cars View Post
My 328i M Sport just arrived last week. Thank goodness I didn't get those 152's. Don't know what I would have done if that was the wheel. Worst thing is now you've got to spend $3000 just to get the sport seats. I bet a lot of people were going for the Sport Package just for the seats.
Yup! That was one of my main reason for the sport package. I really liked the sport suspension too but it was mainly for the seats. Don't know what to do now.... this really sucks!

Don't get me wrong, I really like the M wheels in your picture, the M Steering Wheel and Shift lever but I can hardly justify the added cost for the M-package to get those features. Now it seems I have no choice. I have to say that I'm not very happy with BMW right now and might just have to rethink my purchase.

Last edited by mr_milo; 02-04-2011 at 08:36 PM.
mr_milo is offline   United_States
      02-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #26
buggy4cars
Private

Maybe this will help. If you follow my crazy logic (the same logic I use to explain the extra cost to my wife). I think the $1300 the M package costs over the $1700 charged for the Sport Package is a better value than the initial $1700 Sport package cost. For $1700 you get the nicer seats, different wheels (although not much in appearance) & suspension mods. For another $1300 you get a distinct front, rear and sides to set you apart from every other 3 series except the M and IS, you get that great, fat leather wheel, all leather shift knob, the M dead pedal and sill plates, anthracite headliner (agreed, who cares) and those gorgeous wheels. I think the extra $1300 is a bargain, it's the initial $1700 that crazy.
      02-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #27
Diver
Colonel

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport

Isn't this a 2012 model? Only the M3 says it continues as a 2011.
      02-05-2011, 01:46 PM   #28
Malapropism
Book Worm

Drives: '15 F82 M4 and '11 e92 335xi

1.Does this apply to Canada starting in March as well?
2.So if you were getting the 335i Coupe with xdrive + M pckg... you get the 17inch with all seasons and its an option to upgrade to 18 inch or 19 inch wheels with performance tires...?

Thanks
Malapropism is offline   Canada
      02-05-2011, 02:12 PM   #29
Hound Passer
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Convertible

Quote:
Maybe this will help. If you follow my crazy logic (the same logic I use to explain the extra cost to my wife). I think the $1300 the M package costs over the $1700 charged for the Sport Package is a better value than the initial $1700 Sport package cost. For $1700 you get the nicer seats, different wheels (although not much in appearance) & suspension mods. For another $1300 you get a distinct front, rear and sides to set you apart from every other 3 series except the M and IS, you get that great, fat leather wheel, all leather shift knob, the M dead pedal and sill plates, anthracite headliner (agreed, who cares) and those gorgeous wheels. I think the extra $1300 is a bargain, it's the initial $1700 that crazy.
Yeah, as you said crazy logic. It's no value if you don't want the M pkg extras. It's like a turquoise sweater on the sale rack @ 80% off. Also I do not believe you get M pedals or sill plates, just the body kit. It's a bargain IF you want it. Not so much if you just want sport seats + the color you originally ordered (not available w/ M pkg) + loss of heated steering wheel.

Also ZSP for the vert is $1275 invoice (who pays more than invoice for options?) & MSRP is $1400 & a tad bit more for the coupe. Where are you getting $1700? M pkg is nearly 2x more expensive. Still think its a value?
      02-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #30
beemer3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Quote:
There's no real value to it you don't really care for the rest of what the M Sports Package already has to offer when it is already included in the Sports Package. It is even harder to justify for the M Sports Package with the color restrictions and the loss of the heated steering for those that want one.

Last edited by beemer3; 02-05-2011 at 03:14 PM.
      02-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #31
shiyonmir

Drives: 06 BMW 325i

I think that the 11 models are really nice, the 335is is sexy my friend just got one
shiyonmir is offline   United_States
      02-05-2011, 05:26 PM   #32
buggy4cars
Private

Could have sworn the Sport package was $1700 when I ordered my car on 12/2 but I see now the configurator lists it as $1450. The only rhyme or reason why the Sport package on a vert might be cheaper @ $1300 is there's no Shadowline trim on a vert so they save a few bucks there. With that logic though the M Package on the Coupe should be more than the M Pack on a Vert because there's no Anthracite headliner on the Vert. but the package is $3000 in both. As far as the dead pedal and sill plates, they don't list them as M Pack. equipment on the configurator but they do in the catalog. Now my car has come in to the dealer and is presently under a bit of snow so I haven't actually opened the door to verify the sill plates but I did see the dead pedal so I'll assume the M sill plates are there too. I realize if you really want the steering wheel heater you're "S" out of luck going for the M Pack, and if you really want Montego or Vermillion you're excluded from choosing the M Pack but on the same token if you go for the M Pack your the only one that can choose LeMans Blue and you get the special front, rear and side pieces which is a bit of an exclusive benefit. In a perfect world it would be nice to have an ala carte menu but it just doesn't exist in the car world. Look at the new 1M, just 3 color choices and no interior color choices and thats on the most expensive 1 Series car. Subaru is no different. Was pricing a 2011 Legacy and I wanted the GT model which when fully equiped was the most expensive and quickest Legacy you could get. Could only get it with a black leather interior. Every other model in the range had a choice of saddle or black. Talked to Subaru of America and they said their Marketing Dept. must have found that most people buying the "Sporty" model wanted black. So you take away that option from the people buying the most expensive car you sell? Made no sense. Good Bye Subaru, hello BMW.
      02-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #33
simianspeedster
Captain

Drives: 2013 128i Coupe Manual

I think there's a lot of confusion over what the Sport and M-Sport packages add in the way of suspension changes depending on the 3 Series model. Here's my understanding of how it all breaks down:

328i Sedan, 335i Sedan, 328i Wagon -- All of these models come with the standard suspension in base form. The same Sport Suspension comes standard with either the Sport Package or the M-Sport Packages.

328i Coupe & 335i Coupe -- Both coupes come with the Sport Suspension standard, so while the Sport Package and M-Sport add other goodies, there are no suspension changes included. In short, all RWD coupes have the same suspension regardless of package.

328xi Sedan, 328xi Coupe, 335xi Sedan, 335xi Coupe & 328xi Wagon -- None of these xDrive AWD models are available with the Sport Suspension regardless of whether they are purchased in base form or with the Sport or M-Sport Packages. I believe all xDrive AWD 3-Series models come with a steel suspension that is built to be more rugged than the largely aluminum Sport Suspension because AWD cars may be driven in tougher conditions (think frost heaves, etc.)

I'm fairly certain this is all accurate, so it's easy to see why people would be confused with all the variations in play. If any of this is incorrect, please chime in. The Sport and M-Sport Packages add wheels, tires, seats and trim details to all 3 Series models, but whether or not they include the Sport Suspension depends heavily on the model and drive wheels.

Edit: I didn;t look to see what the permutatations are for the convertible and diesel models (dang, there are a lot of 3 Series models!) -- maybe someone else can fill in those details.

-SimianSpeedster
      02-05-2011, 06:27 PM   #34
Zulu Saffa

Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Not sure bout the 152's.
      02-05-2011, 07:26 PM   #35
lawgone
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Uh oh, this has me worried now. I just placed an order on Friday for 328xi w/ sport...I got sport only for the seats. It was an $850 option. I put down the $1000 deposit and then the sales manager came down and said he was having problems ordering the sport package...it wasn't showing as available...only the M. They said they'd call Monday when they were able to place the order.

I hope BMW isn't enacting this change early. Their website still allows you to add sport which comes with ALL SEASON tires. (Performance tires are an addditional fee.) It would be a waste for me to get the M package and its performance tires on an xdrive. If I wanted to worry about needing to get winter tires, I wouldn't have even bothered with the xdrive option.
      02-05-2011, 10:29 PM   #36
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000

Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
I hope BMW isn't enacting this change early. Their website still allows you to add sport which comes with ALL SEASON tires. (Performance tires are an addditional fee.) It would be a waste for me to get the M package and its performance tires on an xdrive. If I wanted to worry about needing to get winter tires, I wouldn't have even bothered with the xdrive option.
It's not a waste, it's a personal preference.

I will never go back to all season tires thanks to ordering the M-Sport package. The performance of summer sports tires are phenomenal compared to the all seasons. The performance and value of winter tires are epic.

Again, to each his own, but for as long as I live where the weather is less than 40 degrees more than 2 months, I'll be sure to have a set of winter rims and summer rims!
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country
      02-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #37
SecretSaver

Drives: 2009 335i Coupe, 2006 SLK 55

Discontinuing the Sport package is just stupid. The take on the sport package is far greater than the take without the sport package and M Sport combined. DUMB DUMB DUMB!
      02-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #38
lawgone
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAMidge View Post
It's not a waste, it's a personal preference.

I will never go back to all season tires thanks to ordering the M-Sport package. The performance of summer sports tires are phenomenal compared to the all seasons. The performance and value of winter tires are epic.

Again, to each his own, but for as long as I live where the weather is less than 40 degrees more than 2 months, I'll be sure to have a set of winter rims and summer rims!
I debated over the merits of AWD with all seasons and RWD with dedicated tires but came to the conclusion that I would go the AWD route and it would also be cheaper. Both have their merits. But now that I've actually put down the deposit and negotiated the price I hope they don't call me Monday and say I HAVE to get the $3000 MSport option if I want the sport seats.
lawgone is offline   United_States
      02-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #39
Hound Passer
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
Uh oh, this has me worried now. I just placed an order on Friday for 328xi w/ sport...then the sales manager came down and said he was having problems ordering the sport package...it wasn't showing as available...only the M. They said they'd call Monday when they were able to place the order.

I hope BMW isn't enacting this change early.
If your car is being built in March or later then ZSP is not available regardless of when you order. The system will automatically substitute ZM2 (new order code for M pkg) for ZSP.

As for the Build My BMW tool, it's frequently behind the times. But since BMW hasn't announced a price for ZM2 yet it's not really possible update the configuration yet.
      02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #40
lawgone
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
If your car is being built in March or later then ZSP is not available regardless of when you order. The system will automatically substitute ZM2 (new order code for M pkg) for ZSP.

As for the Build My BMW tool, it's frequently behind the times. But since BMW hasn't announced a price for ZM2 yet it's not really possible update the configuration yet.
I ordered it on 2/4. Is it possible they wouldn't begin building it until March? My SA was saying they would start next week.
      02-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #41
buggy4cars
Private

Mine was ordered the evening of 12/2/10 and I had a production # on 12/6/10. It was in production 12/8-9/10 and production was completed 12/16/10. Your car should be produced before the end of the month unless the backlog of cars built up during the factory closing was so huge they're just catching up.
      02-06-2011, 11:24 AM   #42
spatel19
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hound Passer View Post
Yeah, as you said crazy logic. It's no value if you don't want the M pkg extras. It's like a turquoise sweater on the sale rack @ 80% off. Also I do not believe you get M pedals or sill plates, just the body kit. It's a bargain IF you want it. Not so much if you just want sport seats + the color you originally ordered (not available w/ M pkg) + loss of heated steering wheel.

Also ZSP for the vert is $1275 invoice (who pays more than invoice for options?) & MSRP is $1400 & a tad bit more for the coupe. Where are you getting $1700? M pkg is nearly 2x more expensive. Still think its a value?

I completely agree. I'm in the exact same situation. I was going to order a 335i coupe in Deep Sea Blue sport package with the heated steering wheel. Now I can't get either with a M sport pack. I hope that they allow the us to order the sports seats and the 19" 230 rims separately.
      02-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #43
lawgone
Lieutenant

Quote:
Mine was ordered the evening of 12/2/10 and I had a production # on 12/6/10. It was in production 12/8-9/10 and production was completed 12/16/10. Your car should be produced before the end of the month unless the backlog of cars built up during the factory closing was so huge they're just catching up.
That makes me feel a little better. How long was the factory closed? I can't imagine they'd have a month long backup or they'd never catch up.
      02-06-2011, 01:17 PM   #44
LegalEagle

Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spatel19 View Post
I completely agree. I'm in the exact same situation. I was going to order a 335i coupe in Deep Sea Blue sport package with the heated steering wheel. Now I can't get either with a M sport pack. I hope that they allow the us to order the sports seats and the 19" 230 rims separately.
You've identified the issue of greatest importance to me: the limited color selection with M-Sport. I wonder if they will make that package available with all colors going forward.