E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Best Wax for Durability

02-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i xDrive

Best Wax for Durability

So I hate asking this question because it's like the typical "what's the best oil to use" question, but I haven't been keeping up with detailing technology over the last several years so I'm curious.

In the past, I've used only 3M and Meguiars products on my cars. I've used Meguiars for my weekend driver since it doesn't see bad weather and Meguiars products, historically have higher amounts of carnuba wax rather than synthetic waxes. I used 3M products on my daily drivers for the reverse.....highers amounts of synthetic waxes vs carnuba waxes.

My understanding is that carnuba waxes are awesome for shine and luster, but do not have the durability of synthetic waxes.

Since my BMW is a daily driver, I'm more concerned about durability and protection vs. shine and luster. So should I continue using 3M products for the BMW or are there other more suitable waxes / glazes I should be using?

Previous: 2008 E92 335xi Coupe
Previous: 2004 330xi Sedan
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #2
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep
Drives: LCI 335i

search no more
P21S 100% carnuba i used to do detailing and its the best stuff for the money in every way. very durable, great shine seals very nicely and not to expensive compared to the zymol products

its easy on and easy off and has won several awards
      02-06-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorting View Post
search no more
P21S 100% carnuba i used to do detailing and its the best stuff for the money in every way. very durable, great shine seals very nicely and not to expensive compared to the zymol products

its easy on and easy off and has won several awards
Hmmmmm.....interesting.....I do like P21s wheel cleaner, so maybe I'll have to try their waxes too.

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:32 AM   #4
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

trust me the wax is good stuff. i have not tired their wheel cleaner but im sure its good too.

most wax that you buy at the store will come off really way too easily when you wash the car. This type and all of zymol waxes will stay on for the most part after you wash the car, soap is supposed to strip dirt or anything else of the car.

if you really wanted something strong you can get a paint sealer but now we are talking about a full detail and a lot of time.

http://www.amazon.com/P21S-100-Carna.../dp/B000ZBHTAI
      02-06-2011, 12:40 AM   #5
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Isn't Carnauba wax supposed to be less durable than synthetic waxes thought because it's all natural?

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

use duraglos 105 or collinite
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #7
the_doctor
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 335xi 6MT

I was told Collinite 845 is one of the more durable ones around - lots of positive feedback here on e90post. I'm testing it out on my e92 this winter - now have 3 coats of it on top of a sealant (Opti-Seal). A coat was initially put on near the beginning of November, then another in early December, then the last coat was put on Jan 1. I take it to a coin wash weekly to get rid of the salt build-up and it's still beading. I'll keep you guys updated though.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #8
Shorting
Private First Class
Serbia
Rep

that i dont know 100% i have used synthetic wax and obviously this stuff and i have not gone back to synthetic.

also just because its 100% carnuba, that doesn't mean it hasn't been engineered for specific improvements.

in the history of waxes for example the paste wax usually carnuba was EXTREMELY difficult to remove after applied back in the day. well then engineers looked for a way to change that and started making different kinds of waxes that work better for the customer (aka home use)
im a purist after detailing classes i saw how most people used cheap products and the results sometimes reflect the products that they were using.
just know there are at least 3 grades of products
1. Products that stock the shelf at walmart, pep boys, kragen...
2. General label products sold in bulk to detailers for less $$$ some work well others dont
3. Products that you dont see and have to research or go to a detailing store in order to find. (that is where p21s fits in. people who know will buy it)
alot of i say is preference i wont touch synthetic wax because its just not in the same league

i see your car is black if you really want a good shine too zymol carbon works really really well on black cars. it was made specifically for black car.

here are some pictures of my tubro that i used zymbol carbon for
before and after shot
Attached Images

02-06-2011, 01:11 AM   #9
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Wow....nice!!!! You have my interest in Zymol Carbon peaked!

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
pander5
Special Forces - Discretion is superior
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe Sapphire Black

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
I will submit the following with full understanding there will be those who will criticize the "process" involved with application but for about 8 years now I have solely used Zaino and have never experienced a reason to go elsewhere for an LSP. I have tried several and always come back to Zaino. The durability is, in my experience, unmatched. Having used it so frequently for so many years my application routine has become almost intuitive and, in my opinion, it's not as difficult as many make it out to be.

What has been good to see is the development of several other sealant products that come close and, with the introduction of Optimum Opti Coat, even surpass in durability.

I will also say that Collinite 845 or 915 have been the most durable carnauba's I've tried over the years.

Now I'm looking to try Blackfire when I finish my current stock of Zaino. From what I've heard, read, seen it may be the one that pushes me off Zaino.
      02-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #11
roundle
EXPAT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 VW GTI;18 CX9;11 E91 N52

Klasse AIO followed by Klasse HGSG is a proven, long-lasting solution (6+ months). You can top with an easy-to-use Carnuaba, like P21S, if you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Swissvax Shield is great. as far as durability you cant beat collinite 845
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

i only get about 4 weeks durability out of p21s 100%...dont see how you are saying a carnuba, known for short durability, is giving you long term protection...?!?!?!?

blackfire wet diamond
collinite 845
menzerna powerlock
chemical guys jet seal
Meguiars 21

those are all quality synthetic sealants and what you want to use if you dont want to keep applying a carnuba wax monthly (most waxes will say a 4-6 week durability, sealants 4-6 months with proper prep)

shorting - while your picture looks amazing, it does little to help in this situation. You have to explain what was done to the car...waxing alone will not remove the paint defects. The shine on your car is great, but so is this one of a 2011 aston martin DBS I recently did and at the point this picture was taken, there is no wax on the car; its simply been polished and taken outside for pics prior to waxing. (compound, polish, polish, paintwork cleanser....no wax/sealant)

you see it all the time where people ask for a good wax recommendation...everyone sees pictures of cars done with high end waxes and think that they have to get just that wax to get the results like in the pictures...truth be told, its the polishing and prep that make up 90% of the look of the car, not just the wax. You can take any wax and put it on a car, but if you polish the car, it will look a whole lot better, wetter, deeper...

Last edited by Envious Eric; 02-06-2011 at 11:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #14
RobNH
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Beautiful! I absolutely LOVE Aston Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
i only get about 4 weeks durability out of p21s 100%...dont see how you are saying a carnuba, known for short durability, is giving you long term protection...?!?!?!?

blackfire wet diamond
collinite 845
menzerna powerlock
chemical guys jet seal
Meguiars 21

those are all quality synthetic sealants and what you want to use if you dont want to keep applying a carnuba wax monthly (most waxes will say a 4-6 week durability, sealants 4-6 months with proper prep)

shorting - while your picture looks amazing, it does little to help in this situation. You have to explain what was done to the car...waxing alone will not remove the paint defects. The shine on your car is great, but so is this one of a 2011 aston martin DBS I recently did and at the point this picture was taken, there is no wax on the car; its simply been polished and taken outside for pics prior to waxing. (compound, polish, polish, paintwork cleanser....no wax/sealant)

you see it all the time where people ask for a good wax recommendation...everyone sees pictures of cars done with high end waxes and think that they have to get just that wax to get the results like in the pictures...truth be told, its the polishing and prep that make up 90% of the look of the car, not just the wax. You can take any wax and put it on a car, but if you polish the car, it will look a whole lot better, wetter, deeper...

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:23 PM   #15
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

You are correct that sealant will last far longer than natural carnauba wax, however if you pick out the right sealant you can still get a glossy look. My two favorite sealants are the Blackfire Wet Diamond with Polycharger and the Menzerna Power Lock Polymer Sealant. Both of them provide long lasting protection with an outstanding shine that is easy to work with. Don't forget to save 10% off with your forum coupon code e90post if interested. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #16
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

Thanks,

my point in posting those pics here (will be a thread later showing what is involved in getting it to that point) is that a wax alone wont give you a showroom look. You HAVE to polish...

BUT, your original question was about durability and i listed those in my previous post. just didnt want you to go out and waste money on products that dont fit your need. It would be like someone recommending you go buy "product x"...while it looks good, it lasts about 4 weeks and you cant layer it because it has cleaners in it so while you put on layer one, then top, the 2nd layer is removing part of the first layer, leaving you still with just 1 full coat compared with synthetic products that are layerable with proper cure time.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
MatchesMalone
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post

blackfire wet diamond
collinite 845
menzerna powerlock
chemical guys jet seal
Meguiars 21

Agree with everything you said, but Collinite 845 is a carnauba based wax, not a synthetic sealant. It certainly has the durability of a sealant though, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #18
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

FWIW, I find I only need to apply Zymol Carbon every 4 months or so.

But like they say, YMMV.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #19
hipnotic
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Garage List
2008 335i coupe  [7.00]
blackfire wet diamond sealant is the best
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 06:29 PM   #20
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

Collinite 845.

None are better. None are more durable.

NONE !!

Oh..... and its about $16 per bottle, not $30.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #21
J BONE
The Boss
United_States
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9816 F15 X6

Garage List
2008 E92 335xi  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
Collinite 845.

None are better. None are more durable.

NONE !!

Oh..... and its about $16 per bottle, not $30.
I'm def buying this wax next as I hear so many good things about it. Been using CG 5050 and Dodo Juice but I feel like they don't last long. I also take the car through the touchless wash at lease once a week during the winter then follow up with some ONR. I feel like I need to wax once a month with the products I'm using now. Also have two coats of jetseal which I applied in Dec
2011 E92 M3- Retired
2011 E90 335- Retired
2008 E92 335- Retired
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #22
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Get the German product Wolfgang swirl remover 3.0 and sealant 3.0 from Autogeek.net You will be very happy with results. Of course, thinking you can buy the best wax on the market to accomplish the same mirror finish as polishing with a buffer just doesn't work.

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0