Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Think I bent a rim :\



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.
 
TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %
                     
Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #1
Menotti
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Think I bent a rim :\

2010 E92...

HUGE pothole off the 79th st exit of the West Side Hwy in Manhattan. Completely unavoidable, hit it like a ton of bricks on my front passenger side.

Now I am noticing some very minor rock in the steering wheel and have an oscillating feeling from under the car. Completely drivable and the alignment still appears fine. Bent the rim, right?

Some questions, thanks in advance!
  1. What is the best way to confirm it is a bent rim and not something worse?
  2. Where do you guys pick up stock rims? Tirerack doesn't seem to have them
  3. Should I have them put on by a BMW shop?
Menotti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
2010 E92...

HUGE pothole off the 79th st exit of the West Side Hwy in Manhattan. Completely unavoidable, hit it like a ton of bricks on my front passenger side.

Now I am noticing some very minor rock in the steering wheel and have an oscillating feeling from under the car. Completely drivable and the alignment still appears fine. Bent the rim, right?

Some questions, thanks in advance!
  1. What is the best way to confirm it is a bent rim and not something worse?
  2. Where do you guys pick up stock rims? Tirerack doesn't seem to have them
  3. Should I have them put on by a BMW shop?
Have the wheel inspected ASP for cracks.

BMW has a machine that checks your wheel for roundness. BMW tolerance for roundness (TIR) Total Indicator Reading is 0.012" (3 mm). They check this by mounting your rim in the machine and while rotating they measure the radial deflection (I assume using dial indicators with the center wheel bore as a datum).

Good luck,
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 2,463
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
Take the wheel off and look at it. It's really the only way.

You may have just knocked some of the wheel weights off too.

Stock rims are easily found out hte for sale section of this forum. Cheaper than new, and often same quality.
AWD Addict is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
Menotti
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Appreciate the feedback, guys. My car is due for its one year maintenance soon, so I will schedule that and have them take a gander at the rim.

They will want to order it direct, but I assume that even though I have a lease, I am allowed to purchase a replacement myself and have them install it?
Menotti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Mr. ///M3 RD
Major General
 
Mr. ///M3 RD's Avatar
 
Drives: E350 & 280 SL on Weekends :)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: GTA, Ontario - Canada

Posts: 7,862
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menotti View Post
Appreciate the feedback, guys. My car is due for its one year maintenance soon, so I will schedule that and have them take a gander at the rim.

They will want to order it direct, but I assume that even though I have a lease, I am allowed to purchase a replacement myself and have them install it?
Being a lease I would only deal with the dealer from whom you leased the car. Otherwise they may demand you purchase the car at the end of the lease. So be on guard. Better safe then sorry.
__________________
Cheers, Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Mr. ///M3 RD is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Menotti
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Being a lease I would only deal with the dealer from whom you leased the car. Otherwise they may demand you purchase the car at the end of the lease. So be on guard. Better safe then sorry.
Yeah I understand. They may demand I order the OEM part at full OEM price from them. What I'd like to do is get the OEM rim myself and have the dealer install it - I'd be fine with that. Don't think there is a problem on the lease for doing that.
Menotti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Menotti
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2010 328xi Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Jersey City, NJ

Posts: 32
iTrader: (0)

From my research I think these are style 157. Agree?

Menotti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-07-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
VMRWheels's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

Posts: 12,673
iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2008 5 Series  [3.30]
I would ask them to check if the wheels are out of round by using a Hunter Road Force machine.

-Charles@VMRWheels
__________________
VMRWheels is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
potholes, rims, son of a b, wheels

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST