E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest > Coding in Austin, TX

10-30-2011, 05:03 PM   #23
dryicerx
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335is

Thanks John, you rock!

Already loving the ability to roll up the windows while walking away from the car (I forget to close the sunroof all the time).
      10-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #24
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryicerx View Post
Thanks John, you rock!

Already loving the ability to roll up the windows while walking away from the car (I forget to close the sunroof all the time).
My pleasure! I'll hit you up for some weekend cruises sometime, and check out the chapter's upcoming event that I'm coordinating over at www.tejaschapter.org. Hope to see you there!
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      10-30-2011, 07:20 PM   #25
SHATX
baby chicken eater

Drives: 07 E90 335i - 08 3.0si coupe

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [5.00]
Thank you so much John!!!! It was great meeting you and we are really looking forward to the next CCA event :-)

I eat M3's and Baby Chickens for Breakfast. How bout you?
SHATX is offline   United_States
      11-19-2011, 02:34 AM   #26
chrisl91

Drives: 2011 335is E92

jphughan I just signed up so I can't PM yet. Would you be available this weekend or Monday to do some coding? (11/19-21)
chrisl91 is offline   United_States
      11-19-2011, 08:41 AM   #27
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl91 View Post
jphughan I just signed up so I can't PM yet. Would you be available this weekend or Monday to do some coding? (11/19-21)
I have a friend visiting from out of town until Tuesday afternoon (we're going to the BMW CCA event here today, I actually coordinated this event) so I won't be available until after that, but I'll be available Tuesday and Wednesday evenings, and then most of Friday through Sunday after Thanksgiving.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
      11-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #28
howielama

Drives: 330i sport package

Newbie to Board. Working on getting my 5 posts so I can pm. There's post 1.
      11-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #29
howielama

Need coding in the San Antonio/Austin area. Will travel and pay. Money, beer, whatever. There's 2.
      11-27-2011, 10:21 PM   #30
howielama

I would like to code out the passenger seat sensor so the airbag will go off regardless, if possible, so I may quit staring at that obnoxious, display-eating error message until I can get it properly fixed. 3.
      11-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #31
howielama

A little about me: I've completed my 3rd decade of driving. I'm a Land Rover and BMW enthusiast. My favorite show is Top Gear, the clever British one, not the unfunny American version. Four.
      11-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #32
howielama

And finally, 5. I have a wealth of experience and, unfortunately, questions to offer. I hope I may sometimes be informative, if not amusing. I am a former network coordinator who would love to learn coding once I order the cables and software. Now to wait the 24-48 hrs before I may pm. Please contact me in the meantime if you may help me. Don't forget: money, beer.
      11-28-2011, 08:55 AM   #33
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by howielama View Post
And finally, 5. I have a wealth of experience and, unfortunately, questions to offer. I hope I may sometimes be informative, if not amusing. I am a former network coordinator who would love to learn coding once I order the cables and software. Now to wait the 24-48 hrs before I may pm. Please contact me in the meantime if you may help me. Don't forget: money, beer.
I may be willing to help out (I work in IT myself) but I don't charge. Otherwise I have to pay vendor fees, then I have to worry about doing this enough to cover those fees, and then it's not fun anymore. Anyway just make sure you buy the proper cable (from Automotive-tool on eBay), follow the DIY PDF exactly, read the FAQ, and check out the spreadsheet. If you haven't already, go to the BMW CODING SUCCESS thread on these boards and at least read the first post. Enjoy!
      11-28-2011, 09:18 AM   #34
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
John - I may need your services again. I'm replacing my front turn signal bulbs with LED units that are white instead of amber, so I'd like to code out those amber LEDs in the upper corners. I would think that would be straightforward, correct?

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      11-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #35
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
John - I may need your services again. I'm replacing my front turn signal bulbs with LED units that are white instead of amber, so I'd like to code out those amber LEDs in the upper corners. I would think that would be straightforward, correct?
Coding them so they're just not used when the headlights are on is easy, but it sounds like you'll need them coded to avoid temperature checks and such, otherwise you'll get bulb errors when you use them as turn signals. I've never done that particular code but I've got the information on it and it seems fairly straightforward. Let me know when you've got them installed and we'll go from there.

Any progress on further Dinanizing your car?
      11-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #36
roundel335
Brigadier General

Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
I understand those single amber LEDs in the corners can be shut off and just not used at all. The LED replacements that I'm installing in place of the actual turn signal bulbs will function normally. I don't think it's a requirement for those LEDs to be part of the turn signals...or is it?

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is offline   United_States
      11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #37
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I understand those single amber LEDs in the corners can be shut off and just not used at all. The LED replacements that I'm installing in place of the actual turn signal bulbs will function normally. I don't think it's a requirement for those LEDs to be part of the turn signals...or is it?
Aha, I misread -- and actually, I didn't realize that the 335s had the amber LEDs in the corner. I thought that was just M3s, but maybe it's just coupes. In any case, yes from what I understand those can be killed separately from the turn signals. The particular codes for that have changed over the model years so there will likely be some experimentation involved, but as usual I'll make a backup before making any changes. Still, if you're replacing a standard bulb with an LED unit we may still need to disable the temp checks; it depends on how the new units present to the car's computer.
      11-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #38
howielama

Thanks for the help John. Looks like I jumped the gun ordering the Bavtech tool if it doesn't code. If it's worth hanging on to, I will. Otherwise, I can return it and just get the EBay cable. I'll definitely take you up on your help whenever you become available. I work in New Braunfels, so I can drive up whenever your schedule allows. It's not that far, and I look for reasons to go to Austin anyway.
      11-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #39
jphughan
Brigadier General

Quote:
Originally Posted by howielama View Post
Thanks for the help John. Looks like I jumped the gun ordering the Bavtech tool if it doesn't code. If it's worth hanging on to, I will. Otherwise, I can return it and just get the EBay cable. I'll definitely take you up on your help whenever you become available. I work in New Braunfels, so I can drive up whenever your schedule allows. It's not that far, and I look for reasons to go to Austin anyway.
I'm available every evening this week except Wednesday and Friday, and this weekend I'll be up in Cresson for a track day. I don't know how to code your passenger airbag to always deploy, and actually I'd be surprised if that were possible given the safety implications of that. Airbags purposefully don't go off when the weight sensor indicates that there's no one there or a small child, so even if it were possible I wouldn't recommend it. Still, if you're interested in any of the options below, let me know -- and if you're curious about something else you don't see, feel free to ask.

Alarm beep only on lock
Alarm beep only on unlock
Auto Dim Mirrors enable/disable
Central Locking Button only works w/ key in
Corner LED and Side Marker Delete
Digital Speedometer (non-M cars)
Digital Speedometer shows true value
Door Dong on/off
DRLs are Angel Eyes or Hi Beams
DSC Off option available in M Drive Menu (2011.5+ M3s)
Engine Auto Start/Stop last state startup (2011.5+ M3s)
Fold Mirrors with keyfob
Fuel Stop Suggestion in Route Guidance (2009+)
Fuel Reserve warning set for 1/8 tank rather than 1/4 (M cars)
Hazards Double Blink on Crash
Hazards Double Blink when button is pressed
iDrive Disclaimer Disable
Instant MPG (M cars)
Instrument Cluster Lighting Always On
Key Fob Eject on Engine Off
REST feature enable on cars with an ALL button
Seat Belt Chime on/off
Sunroof close from full open on rain detection
Sunroof close from tilt on rain detection
Unlock Doors on Engine Off/Keyfob Removal
EfficientDynamics Shift Suggestion (6MT only)
Welcome lighting customization
Close windows with Fob
Wiper wipes to End position after turning engine off
      11-28-2011, 08:15 PM   #40
howielama

I've been searching through threads, and several posters have indicated that the passenger airbag can be disabled or enabled through coding to bypass the passenger seat sensor. I would be cool with this either way, preferably enabled, as I never have children or pets in the front seat. And I would, of course, have it properly fixed if I were to ever sell the car. I'm beginning to believe some are operating off of assumption or my research skills blow, both of which are possible, as I can find no reference of anything but resetting the airbag error code. And I'm getting NOWHERE with BMW on their faulty sensor that has been recalled for only 200,000 of my car's year and model. I guess I'm forced to either out-of-pocket this one or craft a bypass on the connector. Either way, I'm still getting my cable, learning coding, and getting your help and input, John. Thanks, greatly for your knowledge and assistance!
      11-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #41
chrisl91

Drives: 2011 335is E92

coding success!

Thanks for your help John. Everything works like a charm.
chrisl91 is offline   United_States
      12-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #42
Jgcdude1
the bees knees!

Drives: 335i E93

Garage List
2003 E46 325Ci  [0.00]
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
2011 E93 335i  [0.00]
Hey guys just found this thread, I'm in town visiting family and would love to hop on the bandwagon. Let me know if you guys are still coding and how i can repay. A fine bottle of your choice of beverage or payment let me know.

Cheers mates!
Jgcdude1 is offline   United_States
      12-26-2011, 09:18 PM   #43
scanepa
Private First Class

Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CEFED View Post
I can help you out with coding but I am in North Dallas. I little far from you. I can sure use a beer
Any Way You can help me? Im in Dallas
      04-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
vmarias
Registered

Drives: 2006 530i

I live in Austin, and need help with coding. I want to add the AUX option in the Entertainment section of the iDrive, as I am installing the AUX IN plug. I am a newbie in this forum, so can PM yet...Can you send me email to vmarias12@hotmail.com.

-thanks,
Victor